Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game an actual MMO?

13»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by majorburgurs

MMO... Massively Multiplayer Online ,a game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously.

RPG.. Role-Playing Game, is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional settins.

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Oh jeez. The age old "literal definition".

Know why that doesn't work? Because suddenly everything becomes an RPG.

Mario Kart? I play the role of a kart driver, it's an RPG!

Call of Duty? RPG!

Neverwinter, is there ANY area in the game where you have 500+ people interacting and working together? No? Not massively multiplayer, as it was originally meant.

This fits with the modern version of MMORPG (as does virtually every other game with a multiplayer feature) but it does not fit with the original meaning of MMORPG.

so basically 1 game is a MMO? well UO i remember having a buttload of people all on top of each other although dunno if it was ever 500+ in the same area i doubt it.. EvE is only game i can think of that has battles with thousands of players.. guess swg wasn't a MMO because no way that engine could support 500+ on screen at once fighting/interacting without it being a complete slideshow.. even 50+ started bogging things down like crazy in that game..  lineage 1 had some MASSIVE battles forgot about that one

UO, SWG, EverQuest, Darkfall, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve, Vanguard, L1, L2, Asheron's Call, they've all done this. They are MMORPGs.

Diablo, is not an MMORPG. Neverwinter 1 back in 2001, wasn't an MMO. And neither is this.

if you could show me video of 500+ in the same area all fighting together or interacting together id love to see it.. i seen a few in EvE but it was so slow even for that game was almost unwatchable..  500+ in a single area imho is a bit high for most MMOs 

and so gw2 is not a mmorpg even when you can have 100+ fighting the open world dragons?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

MMO... Massively Multiplayer Online ,a game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously.

RPG.. Role-Playing Game, is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional settins.

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

Neverwinter, is there ANY area in the game where you have 500+ people interacting and working together? No? Not massively multiplayer, as it was originally meant.

This fits with the modern version of MMORPG (as does virtually every other game with a multiplayer feature) but it does not fit with the original meaning of MMORPG.

so basically 1 game is a MMO? well UO i remember having a buttload of people all on top of each other although dunno if it was ever 500+ in the same area i doubt it.. EvE is only game i can think of that has battles with thousands of players.. guess swg wasn't a MMO because no way that engine could support 500+ on screen at once fighting/interacting without it being a complete slideshow.. even 50+ started bogging things down like crazy in that game..  lineage 1 had some MASSIVE battles forgot about that one

UO, SWG, EverQuest, Darkfall, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve, Vanguard, L1, L2, Asheron's Call, they've all done this. They are MMORPGs.

Diablo, is not an MMORPG. Neverwinter 1 back in 2001, wasn't an MMO. And neither is this.

if you could show me video of 500+ in the same area all fighting together or interacting together id love to see it.. i seen a few in EvE but it was so slow even for that game was almost unwatchable..  500+ in a single area imho is a bit high for most MMOs 

and so gw2 is not a mmorpg even when you can have 100+ fighting the open world dragons?

Nice attempt at a straw man by fixating on an example number. But you've ignored the entire rest of the point.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Nice attempt at a straw man by fixating on an example number. But you've ignored the entire rest of the point.

pretty sure you are the one who said 500+ in your post first not me:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• majorburgursmajorburgurs Member Posts: 8

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

lmao.. First of mario kart? Thats 4 person.. so at most its co-op.

CoD rpg? Really? Sarcasm has failed you.

When I was on Neverwinter last there was dozens if not a hundred or more people in the City.. I constantly saw people everywhere I went... To me and most everyone else that qualifies as MMO..

Stop comparing it to other games.. if you dislike it that much go back to wow.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

lmao.. First of mario kart? Thats 4 person.. so at most its co-op.

CoD rpg? Really? Sarcasm has failed you.

When I was on Neverwinter last there was dozens if not a hundred or more people in the City.. I constantly saw people everywhere I went... To me and most everyone else that qualifies as MMO..

Stop comparing it to other games.. if you dislike it that much go back to wow.

Why would I play WoW? Why would anyone?

And yes, in Call of Duty, you play the role of a soldier. It's an RPG. Using your definition.

You seem to have entirely missed what you quoted. Right over your head.

And of those "hundreds of people" you saw, could you actually play the game with them? Or did they just exist in a lobby hub city? Right. GW had that, and it wasn't called an MMO.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

SO you admit that is a definition (age of it regardless).  Well you don't like it because it blows your little point away.  Give it up, you lost.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

SO you admit that is a definition (age of it regardless).  Well you don't like it because it blows your little point away.  Give it up, you lost.

He has a very warped definition of MMORPG and anything that fits his narrow definition isnt one.

I personally think a game like GW1 wasnt an MMORPG because the combat zones were restricted to party only.  Neverwinter doesnt do that, the combat zones have plenty of people in them.

It does lean closer to a GW style game than an EQ style game, but its definitely a MMORPG.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Well, I won't fixate on the number, but Neverwinter DOES have an amount of the action taking place in open zones where arbitrary numbers of players are playing together. By "action" I mean fighting, killing monsters, completing quests, looting loot, gathering crafting resources, etc. Action gameplay, not chit-chat, trading, and other such city activities.

It is certainly NOT like C9, Vindictus, Guild Wars 1, etc., where arbitrary numbers of players can only interact in towns, and ALL action is in instances with just you and your (fixed-size, small) party.

By that measure I would define Neverwinter as an MMO. I know some people want ALL the action to be open world with no instancing, and for sure it doesn't fit that bill, but very very few games do these days.

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

cant speak for the others... but i played EQ and Vanguard extensively... and youre on crack if you think theyve ever supported 500 players on the screen at once. hell, my guild contributed to numerous zone crashes in EQ when we amassed around 100 for server first raid attempts. I quit in 2005 and the freaking Bazaar was still crashing from overcrowding.

I love MMOs for the massive and multiplayer aspects, as much as the RPG aspect. I hate instances with a passion. Dont mind zones at all, but i think all should be public. All things considered,  I think Neverwinter does enough, but not as much as other games, to earn the term, MMORPG. Its clearly more than a lobby game where all you can do is chat and hook up for instances. Labels never fit perfectly and its a shortcut to thinking.. so forget them.. download the game.. see for yourself.

Personally, I dont like Neverwinter because its nothing like D&D and the hyper fast anime style animations super annoy me. But I think you can honestly call it a MMO

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This is just a couple hundred in SWG it got really laggy toward the end of this fight , I was in the guild -Fight- from this video (shot by dread I believe)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZM6Qthfbfo

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

DavisFlight is correct.

Also 500+ players in one zone of a persistant world is NOT the same as 500 players on screen at the same time.

WWIIoL has one world... everyone in game is in the same world or zone.  But, the player can only 'see' out to about 2000m IIRC?  Might be 7000m??  But anyway, if you get hundreds all in one zone the game doesn't draw them all - simply too many polygons.  IIRC it has priorities to limit and decide what needs to be drawn and what doesn't.

Near stuff first... enemies over friends... permanent objects and bulidings... the programmer explained it once and said that mostly players wouldn't even notice.

The Cryptic Engine breaks the world down into instances which are not persistant.  It does this to give improved performance.   The number of players per instance is also quite low compared to MMOs like Vanguard, SWG, DAoC etc...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If this game isnt a MMO, then neither is WoW, and if you don't think that WoW is a MMO, then you are an idiot.

Having instanced dungeons and PvP does not proclude it from being a MMO. Having open areas (both towns and adventure zones) with other players that are not in your group, does make it an MMO.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Or is it a co-op dungeon crawler like Dragons Nest, Continent of the 9th Seal, Vindictus type game?

It's not a full fledged lobby game, but it is NOT an MMO.

Except it is.

This argument is hilarious, its an mmo, no amount of definition bending will change that.

We aren't the ones bending definitions.

The original real meaning of MMORPG - this is not one of them.

The marketing version of MMO (meaning, it's online, and has at least 4 people playing together) sure. But literally everything from Counterstrike to Halo COOP is an MMO then.

what are you going by.. if you search the word MMORPG anywhere this game fits the definition of a MMORPG in most every sense

I don't get it, I've seen SWTOR take more flack from people like you for not being a real MMO.  Is it because it offers your precious action combat that you guys are so willing to overlook its obvious flaws?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Neverwinter =mmorpg

Not hard to understand..

Call of Duty? RPG!

DavisFlight is correct.

Also 500+ players in one zone of a persistant world is NOT the same as 500 players on screen at the same time.

WWIIoL has one world... everyone in game is in the same world or zone.  But, the player can only 'see' out to about 2000m IIRC?  Might be 7000m??  But anyway, if you get hundreds all in one zone the game doesn't draw them all - simply too many polygons.  IIRC it has priorities to limit and decide what needs to be drawn and what doesn't.

Near stuff first... enemies over friends... permanent objects and bulidings... the programmer explained it once and said that mostly players wouldn't even notice.

The Cryptic Engine breaks the world down into instances which are not persistant.  It does this to give improved performance.   The number of players per instance is also quite low compared to MMOs like Vanguard, SWG, DAoC etc...

This is why Cryptic games feel so small and lobby like.  They technically fulfill the role of the term MMO, but they sure don't feel like one.  I'll take large zoned worlds like EQ over what amounts to platform to platform gameplay of Cryptic's games, especially NW.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by evilastro

If this game isnt a MMO, then neither is WoW, and if you don't think that WoW is a MMO, then you are an idiot.

I count two fallacies at work here.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Or is it a co-op dungeon crawler like Dragons Nest, Continent of the 9th Seal, Vindictus type game?

Its more like Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2

It's more like Oreos and Pineapples, then again I'm just trying to stay on par with this threads general concensus.

Also the game is based off the shittiest version of D&D to ever have been created.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's not really an open world type game but it's based off D&D so it's meant to be about dungeons which it does well. It is an MMORPG but it's kind of not in the sense that there are alot of people in a zone chatting.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Gyrus
    Originally posted by evilastro

I count two fallacies at work here.

How so? Both games have open world zones, instanced dungeons and instanced pvp. WoW is known world-wide as the most popular MMO. So saying Neverwinter, which has the same setup as WoW, is not a MMO, makes you a bit of a fool. Unless we are argueing that WoW isn't a MMO now? Or is anything with instances of any kind not a MMO? Because that would be making the genre a bit sparse now. What would that be, 3 games?

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    How to explain to you what is one mmo, wait a sec.....you have some nice site with name ''google'' try it for once
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by LateBrake1

It's like GW2 only better designed and better combat IMO.

In this game you dont PvE & PvP for fun as in GW2. You actually get better gear to use in both PvE & PvP.

Some points of the game:

1. Excellent combat with an amazing feelng of 'weight' to it.

View one of the many live streams and make your own judgement: http://twitch.tv/archonthewizard Personally this is the best combat I've ever felt in an MMO. GW2 was a slightly prettier world but this is better combat than GW2 or Tera IMO.

2. Built in voice chat

3. Smooth, very smooth gameplay

4. PvP (Arena style, nothing amazing) but supposedly a 20v20 @ level 60 where you fight over access to a PvE dungeon.

5. Pretty heavily instanced, some big maps but you dont necessarily walk there as in WoW you port to the zone but again some zones are big.

6. Completely free to play. They charge for vanity items, mounts ect, although anything you can buy on the store you can also get in game money to buy it.

7. Just plain fun(likely due to combat). I think this will kind of come out of nowhere to suprise a lot of MMO'ers.

8. No game is perfect and it does have it's faults but they are definitely going in the right direction and for a free to play MMO of this quality it's unheard of.

+1

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

yadda yadda yadda....

bad game, cash grab... the end.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by PieRad

yadda yadda yadda....

bad game, cash grab... the end.

Currently no game. Servers will be back up "soon" apparently.

MMO definition of soon: we don't really know what is wrong, how it happened, or what to do about it. But don't go away....

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Had to upgrade my net plan so I could play since it takes up a crap load of bandwidth for me for some reason. So, I go to play and Update 5 (2:43AM PDT): We're still working on making the servers available for everyone, and will share more details just as soon as we have them. Thanks!

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.