Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I want to hug these guys who made TSW

2»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by ScubaSteve34
    Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.

If you want an MMO, don't get this.

It's a singleplayer game, through and through.

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Only games that actually focus on the massively multiplayer part of MMORPG are MMORPGs.

And no, 40 man raids are incredibly small.

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

I think TSW is the game Funcom hit the bullseye with.(for me anyway)

I wanted to love Anarchy Online so bad,but the huge lag spikes,major and numerous bugs kept me from doing so.

AoC just doesnt 'do it for me'.I could never get absorbed into the game and enjoy it.Plus,when the game launched it was like the equivilant of falling off a cliff once you left tortage.

But TSW is solid.Great story,puts your brain to work,minimal bugs and an awesome theme and atmosphere.

I love it.

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member
    Originally posted by tank017

I think TSW is the game Funcom hit the bullseye with.(for me anyway)

I wanted to love Anarchy Online so bad,but the huge lag spikes,major and numerous bugs kept me from doing so.

AoC just doesnt 'do it for me'.I could never get absorbed into the game and enjoy it.Plus,when the game launched it was like the equivilant of falling off a cliff once you left tortage.

But TSW is solid.Great story,puts your brain to work,minimal bugs and an awesome theme and atmosphere.

I love it.

Too bad about that whole lackluster multiplayer part. Kind of important in a massively multiplayer game.

This would have made a much better singleplayer game.

I'd say its as multiplayer friendly as any of todays MMO's.

• OrtwigOrtwig Cambridge, MAPosts: 1,159Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ScubaSteve34
    Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.

If you want an MMO, don't get this.

It's a singleplayer game, through and through.

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Only games that actually focus on the massively multiplayer part of MMORPG are MMORPGs.

And no, 40 man raids are incredibly small.

There are better places for MMORPG Definition Wars.  Like here:

2»