Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NW v. Neverwinter Nights I and II

emistzemistz Member Posts: 54

I've always been a big fan of NWN going back many years ago when bioware made the titles.  I remember spending hundreds of hours in those games even though they were not MMOs and had minimal simultaneous player capacities. 

I have since ran into NW by Cryptic and have watched a couple of youtube videos of its gameplay.  Although I understand that it is not, and was never intended to be a NWN sequel, I can see that some of the NWN flavor seems to have snuck onto the game. 

Other than the fact that there are different rules 4E vs. 3E, and different combat mechanics, how would you say the game rates compared to NWN and NWN II?

I would be interested in hearing from you guys to see if this is a game that a former NWN fan would enjoy getting into.  I have very limited time these days so I am looking to invest it in a game I can truly enjoy.

Comments

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

I'll give you my honest reply as a NwN2 player and its just my personal opinion.

First up, the pro's. Now many NwN2 players may disagree, but I feel Neverwinter easily beats NwN2 in terms of combat. It's a question of taste maybe but in terms of combat i never really got the feel for NwN2. It may have been a pure and classic representation of  Dungeons and Dragons ruleset but to me the gameplay felt archaic compared to the more fast and furious arcade combat of modern MMO's. I also hated the camera system though i heard that they eventually improved it with a patch. 

Second advantage Neverwinter has, its actually an MMO. You constantly meet new people in all nooks and cranny;s of the world and at the end of the day, as an MMO fan that is superior then a multiplayer game.

Now the big advantage that NwN2 had over this game. The Aurora toolset and private servers. To me the greatest charm of NwN2 was really the possibility of creating your own world, with your own rules. The Foundry system may be very flexible but as far as I know it does not yet allow more then a small group in your self created worlds, it does not allow you to rule the world like a DM and it simply does not have the same flexibility. 

This all being said, Neverwinter is really different from NWN2. In fact in many ways its more resembles a cross between Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance and tradtional MMO's then NwN2, even with the foundry. 

So I think really to enjoy this game, you should really approach it as a new title, one that bears no relationship to NwN2. That is the only way to enjoy it, and its fair to the game as well because really in many ways Neverwinter is as different from NwN2 as The Old Republic is from Xwing vs Tiefighter. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    NWN 2 beats the new one hands down in my opion, i even like the combat better but im from the era of RP, tab targeting and i dont hate it so maybe thats why cause i fill that more action based games get in the way of the RP aspects.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

NWN2 was a mess of a game, never bothered with it while I still play NWN now and then. The only advantage NWN2 had was the updated ruleset to 3.5, but the systems, the combat, the way the maps worked that made nearly impossible to hold Persistant Worlds without forcing ridiculous downloads on the players....

And anyway, can't compare NWO to those games, it's a completely diferent monster.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by emistz

NW v. Neverwinter Nights I and II

I played NWO for ~2 hours. Total. I will never play it again, unless, of course, they complete trash the combat, class and interface systems.

I am currently playing NWN2. Cleric/monk/sacred fist!

I will be on DDO later on to play with my friends.

NWO doesn't deserve to exist in the same universe as NWNx or DDO.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    IMO, none of the NW games were nearly as good as BG and BG2.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I've always been a big fan of NWN going back many years ago when bioware made the titles.  I remember spending hundreds of hours in those games even though they were not MMOs and had minimal simultaneous player capacities. 

I have since ran into NW by Cryptic and have watched a couple of youtube videos of its gameplay.  Although I understand that it is not, and was never intended to be a NWN sequel, I can see that some of the NWN flavor seems to have snuck onto the game. 

Other than the fact that there are different rules 4E vs. 3E, and different combat mechanics, how would you say the game rates compared to NWN and NWN II?

I would be interested in hearing from you guys to see if this is a game that a former NWN fan would enjoy getting into.  I have very limited time these days so I am looking to invest it in a game I can truly enjoy.

You won't like it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I do not think a comparision of Neverwitner to the first two games is fair. First it is a different studio but even more importantly it is a different kind of game. NWN was designed for limited multiplayer and solo play, NWO is a full MMO which has very dfferent mechanics and play restrictions placed on it's design.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Neverwinter and Neverwinter Nights are not the same franchaise. That's all you need to know really.

However, if many of the roll based activities like evading, lockpicking and searchin for hidden doors and stuff annoyed you in older D&D games.. things like having to invest points into the roleplaying aspects whilst scrimping on the combat aspect then NW can be enjoyable. If you are going to miss those things then you'll probably scream "THIS ISN'T D&D".

The foundry is the best thing to happen to MMOs. Period. Other parts of the game have their downsides but the foundry pulls the game back up again every time.

They've laid a nice foundation.. now they just need to build upon it. First point of business... more classes, hopefully (and free, if they charge for standard classes I'll quickly be leaving the game behind). They got the race selection right for a D&D game, but failed with the classes.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    NW2's crappy interface was so bad, it got the delete fairly quickly.  Make every single moment a pain, and I am out of there.   NWO is going to suffer in content compared to NW1 simply because of restricted Forge ability.  While Forge will be what drives NWO, it is gated in both ability and content.   You're not going to see some of the amazing things done via the much more primitive set up of NW1.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    NW2's crappy interface was so bad, it got the delete fairly quickly.  Make every single moment a pain, and I am out of there.   NWO is going to suffer in content compared to NW1 simply because of restricted Forge ability.  While Forge will be what drives NWO, it is gated in both ability and content.   You're not going to see some of the amazing things done via the much more primitive set up of NW1.

How would you, or anyone else that has experience, rate the Forge as compared to the aurora toolset that NWN has?

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

How would you, or anyone else that has experience, rate the Foundry as compared to the aurora toolset that NWN has?

Similar in concept but not even close. NWO toolset is very easy to use. It gives you a far amount of options, but compared to Aurora, it is very limited (although some of those limits need to be because it is a f2p mmo).

I have lots and I mean lots of xp with aurora. I can create a socketed magical sword that talks to u and goes up levels with aurora (granted there is some coding involved, but not much). Foundry, I cant make weapons, period.

I like both games but they are very different in many aspects.

• polikokpolikok Member UncommonPosts: 11
    this game dont compere to NWN 2 at all, NW its just hack and slash with very limited abilitys and some mmo content, NWN 2 is rich and complicated  RPG compere to that AND IT EVEN looks better
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I've always been a big fan of NWN going back many years ago when bioware made the titles.  I remember spending hundreds of hours in those games even though they were not MMOs and had minimal simultaneous player capacities. I have since ran into NW by Cryptic and have watched a couple of youtube videos of its gameplay.  Although I understand that it is not, and was never intended to be a NWN sequel, I can see that some of the NWN flavor seems to have snuck onto the game. Other than the fact that there are different rules 4E vs. 3E, and different combat mechanics, how would you say the game rates compared to NWN and NWN II?I would be interested in hearing from you guys to see if this is a game that a former NWN fan would enjoy getting into.  I have very limited time these days so I am looking to invest it in a game I can truly enjoy.
    All I can say is that after playing Neverwinter (the MMO) I had a huge desire to fire up Neverwinter Nights (the single player game). lol

There were places in Neverwinter that I found myself having to go to like The Moonstone Mask, The Trade of Blades, and other places just to see what they were like.

Like someone else said, don't approach the game thinking this is NWN Online. The differences will fall short. But if you approach it looking for a MMO, you may be saying to yourself, "This is kind of like NWN." On the surface, it is. Just don't look too deeply into it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Tell you what I played NWN 1 and 2 and this is not then in no way its Neverwinter no nights included but as far as the game goes its a good game it has the Foundry which is really easy to use. The class system they took from Champions pre made class system and it works you get some customization to your character through the paragon paths but each class only has one for now and they have said they plan on adding more classes later and Drow should be in soon as a race.  What I think alot of people where expecting was NWN Online and thats not what you have here its more like another form of DDO with less jump hanging and latter use but same old dungeon crawl with player made adventures and I have done some that are really good and fun even did B2 Keep on the boarderlands this morning and they did a good job converting it.

So my opinion is download it and try it its fun.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Apples and oranges. Neverwinter nights was much more personal, Neverwinter is an MMO. They are liable for content that gets published under the Foundry, so leaving anonymous free-loading players to populate entire dungeons with penis monsters is out of the question. 

I personally hated the combat of NWN2, it made no sense being translated into a live computer game and handled as well as a shopping cart with a missing wheel. Some people, for reasons unknown to me, like the "pure" representations of tabletop D&D rules, and thus will attack anything that deviates from it. 

Seriously though, it's free. Just download it and give it a try, you stand only to lose a bit of time.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Just to clarify something to lot of you, NWN2 was NOT made by Bioware, it's made by Obsidian ent.

Carry on.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by codejack

oh wow, I was just thinking that I liked this SO much more than DDO.

hmmmm well to each his own I suppose.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The Neverwinter Nights I liked the most was made by Stormfront Stuios... :)  1 and 2 were ok, but still liked the original more.  The new one is ok too, but still liked the original more.  I liked DDO, but still liked the original more...I miss AOL :(
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Vannor

Neverwinter and Neverwinter Nights are not the same franchaise. That's all you need to know really.

Pretty much this.  The game itself is free so honestly just check it out for yourself. But do not go into it expecting Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, because it isn't like either.

Edit: Also agree with Birdycephon. I loved NWN 1.  NWN 2 not so much. But BG 1 & 2 are superior to both games. If there was ever a quick cash in to be had. It would be doing a 3D BG 1 & 2.  Using the latest UT or Cry engine. /drool image

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    NWN1 destroys them both hands down. If my friends still played on the LV's I would still be playing it to this day. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Love both Neverwinter and NWN. NWN2 wasnt great. The only similarity between them is the content creation and the DnD theme really.   
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Same. I wanted to like DDO, because it had the classes that I enjoyed in the tabletop, but the combat was so bad I could never get that hooked in it. Neverwinter on the other hand makes me wish they would release more and more classes because I love the combat.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by evilastro

Same. I wanted to like DDO, because it had the classes that I enjoyed in the tabletop, but the combat was so bad I could never get that hooked in it. Neverwinter on the other hand makes me wish they would release more and more classes because I love the combat.

Yep.  I'm playing Neverwinter for now, but they're not getting a dime from me until I can play a bow Ranger or Archer :)

• emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yep.  I'm playing Neverwinter for now, but they're not getting a dime from me until I can play a bow Ranger or Archer :)

I remember the good ol' ranger/arcane archer in NWN...good times!

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I played the closed betas of Neverwinter and found myself getting bored after 3 or 4 hours.. bored as in not wanting to ever play again.  I never had those feelings in NW1 or NW2... in those games I had to literally force myself to stop playing and then I would lay in bed thinking about it and sometimes I would spring back up and log back in to do something that I had thought of.  That kind of enthusiasm is not in me when I play Neverwinter.  I still have high hopes for the Foundry though, and although it does not offer as much creative freedom as the original toolsets, it's still a step in the right direction for mainstream MMO's and we should all be excited, if not for this game then for things to come because now a new standard has been set.