Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Developer names make you NOT buy/play a game?

Comments

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    I don't really judge based on Developers. I base my decisions on IP and the Demo they put out. I like to think there are more developers than just the lead developers or their companies. It would be kind of wrong to judge the outcome of a game based on the Lead Developer for the project. It would be like blaming the "Leeroy Jenkins" incident on the guy who started up the group or the guild leader because they let the guy come in the first place. Sometimes you can see it from a mile away but most of the time, it's an honest mistake or a misread action.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Mostly EA, everytime i see that label in any product in the store, i've put it back in the shelf.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Rossboss
    I don't really judge based on Developers. I base my decisions on IP and the Demo they put out. I like to think there are more developers than just the lead developers or their companies. It would be kind of wrong to judge the outcome of a game based on the Lead Developer for the project. It would be like blaming the "Leeroy Jenkins" incident on the guy who started up the group or the guild leader because they let the guy come in the first place. Sometimes you can see it from a mile away but most of the time, it's an honest mistake or a misread action.

Lead devs dictate major game function and design. Greg Street (WoW) for instance, is pompous and has a tendancy to tell players what fun is. Despite what players say, he only cares about his vision of the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by olepi

Kind of turning the question around, but there were a couple of companies I would buy a game from, sight unseen. BioWare for example.

That is never a good policy. Things change.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dexter2010

Lead devs dictate major game function and design. Greg Street (WoW) for instance, is pompous and has a tendancy to tell players what fun is. Despite what players say, he only cares about his vision of the game.

And i care only about my fun. Either he matches what i like, or he can find players elsewhere.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I don't have any specific people that I would avoid other than Garriot (but that is just personal bias) but I honestly doubt I would ever purchase another Blizzard product.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Company "Stay the hell away from it" list.

1. Bigpoint - (They don't make games, they make interactive, graphical cash shops.)

2. EA - (If you need a reason for this one, please take up skydiving without a parachute.)

3. Bioware - (Yes bioware, they are a shell company for EA now.)

Developer "This guy should be removed from the genepool" list.

1. Richard Garriot - (The mentally insane developer of legened. He made one good game, then apparently went batsh*t crazy. Like Garry Buicy crazy.)

2. Mark Jacobs - (Made the biggest catastrophy of a AAA budget mmo, overhyped it to hell and back, then delievered an atrocity of a game that even a lobotomy couldn't remove it my memory.)

There are likely a few more on both lists, but off the top of my head, these are the ones that are so bad, that I can't forget them.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    hands down SOE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I don't usually fault individual developers as they are usually just part of a team being lead by a studio that is being overseen by a publisher. This is why I can not name individual developers as they've all had hits and misses. As for development studios and publishers I can name a couple I would not consider buying from. EA and Cryptic Studios mainly are on my personal black list. I also have many I'm leary of but they haven't made it impossible for me to take any game with their name on the box seriously like EA and Cryptic Studios.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    none
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    anything gpotato related for me...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    EA, Activision, and anything associated with them.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I tend to judge games on  their own merit.  I'll wait for reviews, feedback etc.  I try not to pre-order games anymore and wait after the game is released before deciding to buy.  The only exception is EA. I will buy their games, but I tend to wait for them to hit the bargain bucket, for example just brought Kingdoms of Amalur for £5 image
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Unfortunately I don't remember specific developers as much, and the few key developers are often only partiality responsible anyway I'm actually more concerned about publishers and companies as their the ones that screw things up regularly.

Activision/Blizzard are on my reviews first list now after their poor quality on D3 and scammy behavior with SC2, and their CEOs blatant greed confessions. While good developers like Arena.net are actually on my list of not interested because their game was almost good enough, but misses the mark... and that is sometimes worse for me as I desperately want my favorite games to break the next threshold.

But a good game can come from anyone and as long as I know its good beforehand, I'll play it almost regardless of source... Almost.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Jay Wilson.  I will never buy another Blizzard game.

EA is also on the ban list.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Any game made or published by EA - too bad they published The secret world,I would have liked to try it
    Trion games for now - still annoyed by how they changed a two faction game (RIFT) into a game where faction does not count , just because they were unable to balance the numbers of players

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Cryptic, BioWare, and EA. None have made a game I really enjoyed.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

NCsoft

BioWare

Trion

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

company on my ban list is EA

dev or leading person on my ban list is Jay Wilson.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    aeria games, the same people behind these big knocker ads. their schemes are beyond belief.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Dexter2010

And i care only about my fun. Either he matches what i like, or he can find players elsewhere.

My sentiments exactly.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    SOE is the only developer on my blacklist.  There are others that I approach cautiously, but only SOE gets an outright ban on my harddrive :)  I have no clue how they're still in business.  Every game they've ever touched was ruined by them or was broke and never fixed from the very begining.

QFT! I agree 100% with this statement.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Pretty much any known F2P developer. EA makes me cringe. SOE used to make me cringe as well, but they are at least attempting to be a better company and listening to the community a bit. Unlike EA who just brush off things like worst company in America. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

the only developers that would cause me to ignore a game are the bioware leadership in recent years especially Daniel Erikson, James Ohlen, Gabe Amatangelo, and Jeff Hickman.  I can forgive making bad games, bad choices, even mental breakdowns, but the combined incompetence and arrogance of those guys is to much.  I wouldn't trust them to manage a fast food place, much less make an MMO.

The only companies I won't buy from are EA because they are ruining the industry and need to die and cryptic.  Nothing perosnal against cryptic, they are honest about the way they make games and I know already that no matter the IP it just won't be something I want to play.

• KayleanKaylean Member Posts: 3
    Mark Jacobs.