Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont Waste Your Time/Money

13»

Comments

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic
    Originally posted by Uzik

DFUW is ten times the game DF1 was.

And I can flat out GUARANTEE I have more experience with AV than anyone on these boards, and following their actions over the past 6 weeks I can honestly say that I believe they are going to continue to improve DFUW until it is completely optimized, bug free, and filled with content.

I know TONS of people who are so bitter about DF1 that they refuse to play DFUW, and that is their choice.  I've always been very critical of AV, hell you should see some of the things I posted on the DFUW beta boards, but as of now I feel like they are a different company.

How can you just shrug off the fact that they killed freedom and gravitated towards themepark systems due to investors? 

Wanna attack that person? NOPE! You're in a safezone! Wanna be robe-wearing warrior badass monk? NOPE! Your character simply refuses to put on anything not in his class. 

NOTE: EVEN F2P ASIAN AGE OF WUSHU DOESN'T HAVE SAFEZONES, LOL. 

Sure they'll fix most of the stuff and add content but by that time another biggy themeparky title like Archeage will roll out and/or DFUW will slowly perish as more indy sandbox games near their release, many have chosen to go the open world sandbox route - e.g Origins of Malu, Embers of Caerus, The Repopulation, hell I bet Camelot will be a good one too. 

This is our time, people. And I'll be damned if I let some fanboys turn this community into supportive slaves of a company that lacks innovation. AV is just looking to make a quick buck, everyone knows how AV treats their loyal fanbase and no I don't expect them to change just like I don't expect a rapist to stop raping. 

The only "freedom" they removed was the ability for people to kill others in n00b areas.  The VAST majority of NPC city combat in DF1 was developed characters in griefer guilds killing n00bs.  Would I prefer an alignment system and guards over safezones?  Sure.  But it is better than the broken war dec system from DF1.

Also, you FINALLY have the "freedom" to roll more than 2 characters types and still be effective in PvP. 

Here are all the viable builds in DF1:

1) Mage hybrid

2) Destroyer

Here are the viable ARCHTYPES in DFUW (Note that each archtype has 2 sub-roles, and will eventually have 4):

1) STR Warrior

2) Dex Warrior

3) STR Skirm

4) DEX Skirm

5) STR Primalist

6) WIS Primalist

7) INT Elementalist

So that is a total of 14 builds when you count sub-roles, and there will be at least 28 builds when the other sub-roles are release.  Jeez, I'd call that player freedom.

As for the "themepark" accusation, you couldn't be more wrong.  There is NO set path before players.  Your progression is MUCH more dynamic and varied than it was in DF1. 

Here is progression in DF1:

1) AFK macro sprint, swimming, jumpinh, crouch walking, resource nodes, rest, heal self, transfers, buff spells

2) Get an r0 weapon and bang on some bugged mobs

3) Get an r0 staff and cast on some bugged mobs

4) Get an r0 bow and shoot at some bugged mobs

5) AFK macro on your buddies

WHOA!  That is REALLLY diverse and interesting.

Let's take a look at DFUW:

1) Complete some n00b feats in the safezones

2) Pick out what type of boosters, stats and skill you want to level first

3) Go harvest

4) Refine materials and craft some armor sets

5) Go to some more nearby mob spawns

6) Salvage loot and craft some more gear

7) Advance your skills and stats more depending on what build you want

8) Explore around and find some new spawns with different feats

9) Bind at a chaos stone to get some good nearby feats

10) Group up with some random guys at a mob spawn to help boost the spawn rate (This type of SANDBOX interaction would NEVER happen in DF1)

11) Tackle some harder spawns with a group

12) Spend more of your prowess

13) Explore more to find new feats to complete

14) Etc.

In the first 2 weeks of DFUW I have gone ALL OVER the world in search of good feats.  I have grouped up with random unclanned n00bs at centaur spawns, groups from large clans at air elementals, solo players who were pushed out of a spawn by a bigger group.

I've had more unstructured player interaction in DFUW than most of my time in DF1.

I dunno, but I will take the freedom of DFUW over the "freedom" of DF1 any day.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by xenomonk123

Also have no problems taking down most of the 80-90k prowess on your 50k character.

P.S. 15 dollars isn't shit, get a job or get good at life if it's that big of an issue kid.

That's if you're a warrior. Too many warriors in the game.

Also, people who have a "life" do not have the time to grind out 50k by this time. Can't survive on a paper route. :P

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

what uzik said.

i can't imagine anyone other than a griefer thinking UW is a downgrade to DF1.  after playing for 1 week in UW i KNEW i'd be playing for at least 3 months.  i cant say that about the original.  it's not perfect (it's not even close) but its a vast improvement and it shows the game's heading in the right path at least for now.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by synsy
    Originally posted by akiira69

The game has lots of potential, but just like Darkfall 1, it falls short. This game, just like Darkfall 1, will die due to horrible community relations and lack of proper updates to the game.

The game is so full of imbalances that it really just isn't fun. It is no longer a sandbox mmo as it is typically described. It is a themepark mmo with imbalanced classes that introduces some sandbox elements.

If you're on the fence with this game, I'd say wait it out until Aventurine proves that they're capable of addressing issues with the game and are capable of actually releasing meaningful patches. The downside is by the time (if they actually do) they decide to release updates to the game everyone will be over 70k prowess (already countless players between 30-60k prowess range) and will be a complete waste of time for newbs to try and join the game.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that during the preorder phase, Aventurine stated for months that the game's subscription price would be $10 a month. Just before release they ninjad the monthly fee back to $15. This is a prime example of how this company works. Also, with the amount of bugs and lack of support from the developers, this game in no way is deserving of a premium $15 fee.

I love how you can write something like this about a game that isnt even a month old yet. Since your crystal ball says this game is a failure can you tell us at which patch its going to fail at? Or how about the date that Adventurine is going to shut down the servers? No MMO within its first 30 days is bug free and i mean NO MMO. So for you to say its failure while not giving it 6 months to iron out the major problems shows how naive you are in the development of online games.

First off, it's Aventurine, I can already tell you have little to no experience with this company. Second, I never said this game is ruined because it has bugs, every game has bugs, even games that have been out for over 8 years.

Now where's my crystal ball? Well, it's right here along with the amount of years I've put into dealing with this company. Aventurine failed miserably on Darkfall 1 and that game was twice the game this is. The company is notorious for not delivering on their promises. They did, afterall, let Darkfall 1 die as they will this game.

running Darkfall for 3.5 years,

expanding the company to 5x bigger,

releasing a sequel

your definition of  "failed miserably" failed miserably.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by itchmon

what uzik said.

i can't imagine anyone other than a griefer thinking UW is a downgrade to DF1.  after playing for 1 week in UW i KNEW i'd be playing for at least 3 months.  i cant say that about the original.  it's not perfect (it's not even close) but its a vast improvement and it shows the game's heading in the right path at least for now.

For me - it's the same game - with one huge difference. The grind and PvP are closely connected.

You can't grind in some hidden place - when you want to progress, you need to risk going to the spawn when hundreds of other players also want to go. It means that there is much more fair PvP than there was in DF1.

Some people can't stand it - they can't max their char and only later go PvP, as they got used to do in DF1.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by itchmon

what uzik said.

DF1 was layouted with a possibility to become a sandbox. The downgraded version is heading towards the themepark.

It was just possible to build the prowess system right into DF1. To create the promised armor speciaization  system along with the promised prestige title system to preserve the sandbox layout of the game.

In the downgraded DF UW version we have now  less potential for freedom and diversity. Remember the promised different ammunition (arrows) for bows and diffrent bow types ( speculation on crossbows). They wouldn't make any sense now in the downgraded version.

DF1 wasn't by far a complete game but the foundation to become a rich sandbox MMORPG was there. The downgraded DF:UW offers a big arena for guild PvP and everything else is second thought and of of no importance.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

How can you just shrug off the fact that they killed freedom and gravitated towards themepark systems due to investors? 

Wanna attack that person? NOPE! You're in a safezone! Wanna be robe-wearing warrior badass monk? NOPE! Your character simply refuses to put on anything not in his class. 

What themepark?

Just because you can`t exploit and macro your char like in DF1, doesn`t make DFUW a themepark. I don`t don`t like the hidden feats from NPC killing, but it doesn`t break the game. I only means I level slower and will need a few more weeks to get pvp viable. The macroing in DF1 broke that game quite fast.

Here is progression in DF1:

1) AFK macro sprint, swimming, jumpinh, crouch walking, resource nodes, rest, heal self, transfers, buff spells

2) Get an r0 weapon and bang on some bugged mobs

3) Get an r0 staff and cast on some bugged mobs

4) Get an r0 bow and shoot at some bugged mobs

5) AFK macro on your alt.

This is the thing YOU find so perfect and call freedom. The bunnyjumping clone warriorarchercraftermage.

And why do you care if the starter citys are safezone if you played DF1?  The starter citys in DF1 was empty and dead. No one except me lived in The four Alfar citys in DF1, so you can just pretend the starter citys in DFUW are empty. Why would an awesome, superduper pvper like you want to hang around starter citys anyway?

You can be a robewearing warrior badass monk. Just level the right atributes, and you can be what you want. Here is a robewearing archer badass monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7vaGpevrcg

No one likes the GUI in DFUW, but that doesn`t stop us from playing. Get yoursef a pair of glasses if you can`t read the small text.

DFUW is allready far better than DF1, and it will only get better.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by paladin016

The game has lots of potential, but just like Darkfall 1, it falls short. This game, just like Darkfall 1, will die due to horrible community relations and lack of proper updates to the game.

The game is so full of imbalances that it really just isn't fun. It is no longer a sandbox mmo as it is typically described. It is a themepark mmo with imbalanced classes that introduces some sandbox elements.

If you're on the fence with this game, I'd say wait it out until Aventurine proves that they're capable of addressing issues with the game and are capable of actually releasing meaningful patches. The downside is by the time (if they actually do) they decide to release updates to the game everyone will be over 70k prowess (already countless players between 30-60k prowess range) and will be a complete waste of time for newbs to try and join the game.

This is clearly your personal opinion. This game is great, and i am enjoying it because there are many things to do. I can say it is a 3D version of runescape, but it has only came out. There are room for changes. The things i dislike is the UI and slow movement. Other than that, the game is great!

I don't think that needed to be pointed out...

This discussion has been closed.