Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Funding Goal Reached

13»

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by DocBrody

No, these statements are perfectly right.

Kickstarter was supposed for people who have no money for their project, and they used to worked hard towards a prototype BEFORE starting a campaign.

This project creator has money and no prototype, plus spamming methods making it look like a viral project.

RIP Kickstarter indeed

No kickstarter is there to kickstart projects simple as that.

It is a good way for indie devs to get funding for games that would probally never see the light of day due to AAA publishers only wanting to do wow clones thinking they can take some of the wow pie..

So MJ has a bit of cash and he is putting cash into the business and probally already had before the kickstarter. Why should this stop him using kickstarter to get the rest of the funds needed for the game?

Anyway read this

http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

At no point does it say you can only use kickstarer if your a poor fat kid living in your mums basment..

• Dony07Dony07 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    $2,183,267 reached and 4 more hours to go.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Been up for the past day on their live stream, can't wait!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I was a bit disappointed in a sense that now that it's funded, we're going to get multiple Camelot Unchained news posts every day while the rest of the games in the genre barely get mentioned.

And before I get jumped on, just look back to how many articles there were before it even hit kickstarter. MMORPG didn't do that for any other game.  I would bet there are as many articles about it as some released/late beta games.

Well, congrats to those who put money into it.  I really do hope it's a game that those who did will like.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Mark Jacobs should have been a used car salesman.

Anyways, here's to hoping Kickstarter goes back to allowing projects to become real when they otherwise wouldn't, and hoping that this dark day in ethical game development hasn't set a precedent.

Enjoy the next few years, and maybe your hopes will come true.  Not that there's any guarantee they will, of course.

QFT

Haha what? Where are all these troll accounts coming from?

Kickstarter is the only reason this game is being made. There was nothing different between this project, and Wasteland's Kickstarter, except that THIS project had much more to show than Wasteland did.

Yeah, I clearly created a Troll account judging by the years of difference in our regdates.

Obvious mistakes aside, it isn't the only way this game could have been made.  He could have gotten a favorable deal with a publisher.  Publishers use their funds wisely - it's their entire business.  If his project wasn't worth it, that should have been a huge freaking red flag to Kickstarter backers.  Their blind fanboyism kept them from seeing it.

I feel bad for starting indie developers who have to be lumped in with the likes of this shady panhandler.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by rgeworkan

So much hate on mmorpg.. Why cant you guys just be happy for ppl that want to see this game be made and be at rest with it?

You dont have to play it no1 is forcing you just say gratz CSE and leave it be.. Why troll and hate all around here?

Um, because some people are unhappy about it and choose to voice their opinion...you know, just like all the opinions gushing over it here on MMORPG.com. 

These forums are for everyone, regardless of their love/hate for a game. 

You want a CSE love-in free from people questioning the game? You'll get that soon enough. The dedicated forums will be online in the near future. 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by expresso

Bah I am dissappinted - happy for the avid fanboys that have taken over this site for the last month, but sad cus this just mean we'll see more people with the more than enough funds to create a game use kickstarter instead, kickstarter is now nothing but big pot of free money rather than a platform to support struggling developers.  

R.I.P < 06.02.2013 > Kickstarter

Hello,

I agree with this statement, very disappointing and a sad day for the reputation and spirit behind Kickstarter.

R.I.P < 06.02.2013 > Kickstarter

Cheers

DocB

These statements are pretty stupid.

Kickstarter is there for all to use, its up to the community to decide what to back and what not to back. The people decide, there really is no one to blame or point fingers at. just enjoy all the (hopefullt) good games we are getting because of kickstarter that would otherwise probably not have seen the light of day.

No, these statements are perfectly right.

Kickstarter was supposed for people who have no money for their project, and they used to worked hard towards a prototype BEFORE starting a campaign.

This project creator has money and no prototype, plus spamming methods making it look like a viral project.

RIP Kickstarter indeed

image although i think it''l be more rip companies that actually need kickstarter

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Anyways, here's to hoping Kickstarter goes back to allowing projects to become real when they otherwise wouldn't, and hoping that this dark day in ethical game development hasn't set a precedent.

Enjoy the next few years, and maybe your hopes will come true.  Not that there's any guarantee they will, of course.

QFT

Kickstarter is the only reason this game is being made. There was nothing different between this project, and Wasteland's Kickstarter, except that THIS project had much more to show than Wasteland did.

Yeah, I clearly created a Troll account judging by the years of difference in our regdates.

Obvious mistakes aside, it isn't the only way this game could have been made.  He could have gotten a favorable deal with a publisher.  Publishers use their funds wisely - it's their entire business. 

Yeah because publishers have done SO WELL with MMORPGs, right??

I mean, publishers totally didn't destroy Mythic -oh wait...

And publishers sure helped Age of Conan...er okay well maybe they did good things for SWTOR! Er no, not there either. Well surely Vanguard having a big publisher helped it! Oh wait that's right, publishers forced the game out 8 months early...

Wait..what's that? Publishers have made horrible decision after horrible decision, nearly destroying the MMO genre in the last 8 years?

Publishers have no interest in risky, niche, unique MMOs. Publishers want big WoW killer giants that have failed almost 100% of the time.

Darkfall went 4 years trying to find a publisher that wouldn't force them to remove the FFA PvP and add WoW like features. Finally they gave up and self published.

Publishers are almost always bad for MMOs, certainly for MMOs trying to be unique.

Kickstarter's main benefit to the video game market is allowing niche games to be made without publisher interference.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

/Singing Gloria Estefan with different words

"Trolls will be trolls....Baaaad trolls, baaaaad trolls"

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• ZubeiiZubeii Member UncommonPosts: 28

QFT

Obvious mistakes aside, it isn't the only way this game could have been made.  He could have gotten a favorable deal with a publisher.  Publishers use their funds wisely - it's their entire business.  If his project wasn't worth it, that should have been a huge freaking red flag to Kickstarter backers.  Their blind fanboyism kept them from seeing it.

I feel bad for starting indie developers who have to be lumped in with the likes of this shady panhandler.

The whole point of this was so he didn't have to go through a publisher that would.. in all likely hood tell him to change certain aspects of the game.  This is what happened with WAR, and he didnt want that to happen to this game.  He also wanted to see how much interest people had in this type of niche mmorpg.  If nobody was interested in it, why bother even making it?  Obviously there are people who want it since it was fully funded, and then some.

Also, you cannot judge the amount of backers by the amount of actual subs when the game is actually released.  15,000 is a pretty good amount of backers tho.

A lot of us wont be sitting around doing nothing while the game is being made.  MJ said that with the progress Andrew Meggs is making with their engine that the people who want to do Internal Testing may be looking at 6 weeks to start.  Obviously it wont be testing the actual game, but setting the foundation.

I dont see the need for the CSE/MJ/CU hate.  If you dont like it, dont think its for you then...its all good.  It is designed to be a niche game after all, it wont be for everyone.  I personally think it sounds really fun to be a part of an RvR centered MMORPG where you and everyone else around you builds the Castles, Keeps, Towers, Villages..ect. Where you go out with your realm and attack the other player made structures, burn them down or take them over.  Where the economy is player driven.

Every MMORPG has their player base and fans.  CU isnt trying to topple games like WoW and the like.  We just want our own game with a nice tight nit community, where we can have fun.

• MellozMelloz Member Posts: 26

QFT

I don't know enough of what goes on behind the scenes to have a truly educated opinion, but I really think this is the only way anything close to this type of game could be made. Since DAoC, many of us have been looking for a good fantasy RvR MMO.  WAR was as close as any game has come and it was a disappointment overall.  So why hasn't anyone gone after this market successfully?

I think it's because it's too much of a risk for not enough potential reward.  Most players want relatively easy MMOs.  They want GPS maps.  They would ragequit over unmirrored and inevitably unbalanced classes.  They need more carrots on a stick to entice them to do things.  Eventually those investors will force changes to go after these players and you end up with another typical MMO.
  • DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39

Dear writers of MMORPG,

The abbreviation for "$2 Million" is NOT "$2mln", it's "$2Mil". Please have your editors correct stupid stuff like this in the future so I do not have to kill you all and go to prison for the rest of my life.

Thank You

• underbeastunderbeast Member CommonPosts: 1
    normally i dont make comments cos there is always someone who takes the piss out of whatever you say but i feel i should comment because when i heard that the makers of DAOC was making CU i thought omg its about time cos to me the DAOC franchise was awesome but now when i heard him say 3 races my heart sank :( does he not remember RFonline they tried that and it failed ,the wars was always  2 v1 and the 2 took it in turns to mine while the other was frozen out whats to stop this going the same way  ?maybe im missing the point but to me thats whats going to happen here ?