Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

How about we wait till the game is finished and then every one can say "I toled you so!" It's so much easier to predict the future when its past.

Maybe it works out the way MJ and the com whants it maybe not so much. We will see.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Congrats on the backing everyone! The game isn't for me, but I am glad you PvPers are finally getting something good. Now if only I could get a good sandbox PVE game with amazing crafting. I am anxious for The Repopulation, but I am not getting my hopes up...

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Melloz
    I'm backer and agree there's going to be a serious amount of entitlement among some backers. When CSE has to make a call on contentious design issues, there is going to be tons of crying. I think anyone that's been around MMOs for a while knows that though.

879 backers $150-$250

2101 backers $250 - $500

526 backers $500 - $10000

3506 backers $150+

(a quarter of all backers)

I sure don't want to be in MJ's shoes dealing with this crowd when the time comes to make tough decisions and we all know they will come sooner or later.

...scary

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by Melloz
    I'm backer and agree there's going to be a serious amount of entitlement among some backers. When CSE has to make a call on contentious design issues, there is going to be tons of crying. I think anyone that's been around MMOs for a while knows that though.

879 backers $150-$250

2101 backers $250 - $500

526 backers $500 - $10000

3506 backers $150+

(a quarter of all backers)

I sure don't want to be in MJ's shoes dealing with this crowd when the time comes to make tough decisions and we all know they will come sooner or later.

...scary

I pledged but i won't bother with the official forums much when they arrive, I have had a skinful of those backers who have done their best to destroy this games reputation before it even funded. Without the temperance of some of the more sane forumites it'll just be a sycophantic love in.

Be nice to watch it progress now, but I'm done with the pointless drama.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    I'm underwhelmed by the PayPal donations, given all the talk about Europeans waiting in the wings. It looks like most adults really do have debit/credit cards.

Hi

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Jayaris
    I'm underwhelmed by the PayPal donations, given all the talk about Europeans waiting in the wings. It looks like most adults really do have debit/credit cards.

Give it time. Ppl are coming home from work now...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    KS is OVER NICE JOB!:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

Yeah as I've said before, pretty much everyone in Europe has the possibility to pay over internet. Most just don't like credit cards in the real sence that you shop for money you don't have. I'd say everyone have a VISA or equal debit card that works to buy things all over the world oknp

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Congrats!

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by tenfoldedmight

Yeah as I've said before, pretty much everyone in Europe has the possibility to pay over internet. Most just don't like credit cards in the real sence that you shop for money you don't have. I'd say everyone have a VISA or equal debit card that works to buy things all over the world oknp

Pretty much.. only reason I have a credit card is to buy stuff online. Never use it anywhere else, use a normal bank card (debit card)  for payments inside my country and when going abroad, there's the Maestro option which allows you to use your bank card in other countries.

It's usually a better idea not to spend money you don't have :-)

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Originally posted by Gyrus

It's got nothing to do with whether the promises listed are aesthetic or not... what it has to do with is that it already limits the flexibility he has when designing the game.

Don't believe me?  Grab some paper and 'design a world' - but you MUST include all the things in the sold list above.   Sure you could just put them all on the edge of the map and say "done!" but would your paying customers accept that?

Edit : And you have to make space for 30 Inns,  10 in each realm.  Why?  The Inn is to go in the realm of the player's choice.  Nothing to say all 10 backers wont choose the same realm.  Maybe not likely - but not impossible either.

Not to mention the difficulty he will have with players wanting plots in specific areas and not getting them... you know - like a Viking player finding his plot is closer to Arthurian and TDD realms.

Sure its going to be a complex project and MJ will undoubtably have to make calls that a few people won`t like.

Whats your alternative? Not design a game that clearly people want and are passionate about?

Designing 3 cities with the above specifications is a minor problem in the big picture.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by nf4mous
    [mod edit]

It's got nothing to do with whether the promises listed are aesthetic or not... what it has to do with is that it already limits the flexibility he has when designing the game.

Don't believe me?  Grab some paper and 'design a world' - but you MUST include all the things in the sold list above.   Sure you could just put them all on the edge of the map and say "done!" but would your paying customers accept that?

Edit : And you have to make space for 30 Inns,  10 in each realm.  Why?  The Inn is to go in the realm of the player's choice.  Nothing to say all 10 backers wont choose the same realm.  Maybe not likely - but not impossible either.

Not to mention the difficulty he will have with players wanting plots in specific areas and not getting them... you know - like a Viking player finding his plot is closer to Arthurian and TDD realms.

Oh, and we shouldn't talk about conspiracy theories here... I think they're watching me....which means now they are watching YOU too.

See, the problem with talking about things you have not properly investigated is, you look stupid doing so.

The part you missed is that its a lighthouse/mountainhome/whatever on a server and realm of your choice. So for completeness sake do that pseudo math again with a US/EU/Oceanic server as a absolute min. 3 Inns per realm, how horrible.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

EDIT: There is one last possibility I forgot to mention: CSE might still cancel the Kickstarter... possibly to try to save face if it looks certain to fail?  The fallout would be... nuclear.  I doubt even the fans would tolerate that?

EDITx2: If it comes in really close MJ would actually be better off to sneak in as a 'backer' and take up the remaining $10000 pledges himself... (assuming he wanted to proceed of course!)... and then hope no-one ever finds out... because that would really be bad press.

quoted for hilarity and conspiracy theories.

was never a doubt for most of us that this would fund.  #credibility.

If there was "never a doubt" - then why all the spam etc?

More than a few people had a doubt.

But more important than that... why didn't you quote the rest of my post?  You know... for context and all that?

*snip*

people excited about the game making a post or two isn't spamming.  get real.  i've seen it for all KS campaigns.

context? a quick glance at your post history shows you routinely conjure conspiracy theories, and target jacobs for "not knowing what he's doing". LoL what? thanks for more laughs.

Well, for the record, I don't think Mark Jacobs is a great game designer.  He is an 'ideas man' IMHO.

Am I right or wrong?  Well, in two and a half years I guess we'll know wont we?

TBH right now though I actually feel a little bit sorry for Mark Jacobs.

Why?

Because he has 'promised' so so much.  To get this through he has already sold large parts of his game:

15 Islands

10 Inns

13 "Llighthouses"

21 Houses on Mountains

3 Naming rights on structures

18 Custom Built houses

Hundreds of statues in Founders Row.  Yeah, hundreds.

Internal testing for nearly 700 people

Alpha testing for nearly 700 more (making 1400 for alpha testing alone)

the numbers grow in the Betas - someone should do a tally...

and the average pledge is over $150 per pledge.  At that amount of money you can bet a number of people will have a real sense of entitlement.... these people have paid thousands of dollars in some cases... you can bet some will want things to be done their way.

And sometime in the next 2 years you can bet Mark Jacobs is going to have to compromise - how do you reckon that will go?

With several thousand absolutely rabid fans who have already paid for the game he 'promised'?

He had better be a far better designer than I give him credit for - because otherwise this is going to get really ugly.

still shows you don't have a clue what jacobs or the majority of CU fans represent. but uh, great fans being promised aesthetic rewards that don't effect gameplay whatsoever is surely a major concern.   no.

i'd suggest you just stick to conjuring more conspiracy theories than analyzing anything related to this game.

The thing is if you have been a forum (all sorts) visitor for a long time and see at what people complain about with games they didn't even invest money into I can fully understand the way the 2 posters reacted above you, don't you?. I don't think that they are against CU, I am even sure they want the game too succeed.

I personaly feel MJ has set a far too tight timetable up for his game, sorry but I simply refuse to believe he will be able to deliver a full quality MMORPG as promised. I really hope I am wrong, but 2 and a half year from now?? serieusly? If he would have said 4 to 5 years I might have pedged myself.

I know I know the game is targeted towards a certain niche. And with MMORPG's I know I belong to that minority compared to today's masses. I love the full concept, I alo believe the game has enough room for PVE, perhaps not the type of PVE today's gamers are used too like being told what to do. But I see much enjoyment in what MJ sees as crafting, housing and so much more

Yet I feel the state he is in with what is currently being shown as tech demo's are similar to what I have seen over the years with game tech demo's heading into a 4 to 6 years of development stage, and this is from company's who didn't need Kickstarters as they are already established gamecompany's and have the money, man power and tech to back them up.

I always said I do hope MJ would reach his kickstarter target, but I also thought he wouldn't make it due to people who might wanted to pledge might have a long history with the gaming genre. In that I was wrong and this is the type of wrong I am happy about, because I truly hope he might again proof me wrong in actually being able to deliver atleast 75% of his promises for CU.

Regardless....

GoodLluck-MJ and those who look forward/pledged to CU and proof me wrong.........

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I started low and ended up (some how) on $75 which isn't too much I guess but it provides me with everything that I wanted, providing the game does launch.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74

out of 5 years of development almost 4 years are purely for pve content, dont forget that.

on the other hand about houses, i agree with u all, but why do u care? safezone houses no matter what he does will never ever ever affect you as a non custom-house owner. I was thinking the same things as u guys, but after a while i realised that why the hell do i care? It is his job to fix such problems and i bet he will, and no matter what he does it will NOT affect me, because all of these are SAFE ZONE, means they dont affect the balance of the game at all.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

PayPal donations are already doing quite well. 

http://camelotunchained.com/en/donate/

Stretch goals inc!

• professornomosprofessornomos Member Posts: 67

Well, for the record, I don't think Mark Jacobs is a great game designer.  He is an 'ideas man' IMHO.

Am I right or wrong?  Well, in two and a half years I guess we'll know wont we?

TBH right now though I actually feel a little bit sorry for Mark Jacobs.

Why?

Because he has 'promised' so so much.  To get this through he has already sold large parts of his game:

and the average pledge is over $150 per pledge.  At that amount of money you can bet a number of people will have a real sense of entitlement.... these people have paid thousands of dollars in some cases... you can bet some will want things to be done their way.

And sometime in the next 2 years you can bet Mark Jacobs is going to have to compromise - how do you reckon that will go?

With several thousand absolutely rabid fans who have already paid for the game he 'promised'?

He had better be a far better designer than I give him credit for - because otherwise this is going to get really ugly.

As one of the people who dropped a large sum on this game, I both agree and disagree with your sentiment.

I think you're over stating what MJ was actually promising but likely not Understating how much misunderstanding there is about CU and what "alpha" is really like.   Too many people on the KS are talking about CU like its coming out tomorrow. 

Maybe that's MJ's fault but I really think its more the fact that too many people dont really understand that this game has a lot of work to polish off. 

I personally think too many people are making too much of the "no Pve Progression" aspect of CU.  Sure no PvE makes it easier on the dev team but making a good "pvp" game arguably takes more work because it requires depth rather than flash. 

CU will rise and fall on the back of how well its combat system interacts with its building/crafting/economy.

Originally posted by Reklaw

The thing is if you have been a forum (all sorts) visitor for a long time and see at what people complain about with games they didn't even invest money into I can fully understand the way the 2 posters reacted above you, don't you?. I don't think that they are against CU, I am even sure they want the game too succeed.

I personaly feel MJ has set a far too tight timetable up for his game, sorry but I simply refuse to believe he will be able to deliver a full quality MMORPG as promised. I really hope I am wrong, but 2 and a half year from now?? serieusly? If he would have said 4 to 5 years I might have pedged myself.

I know I know the game is targeted towards a certain niche. And with MMORPG's I know I belong to that minority compared to today's masses. I love the full concept, I alo believe the game has enough room for PVE, perhaps not the type of PVE today's gamers are used too like being told what to do. But I see much enjoyment in what MJ sees as crafting, housing and so much more

Yet I feel the state he is in with what is currently being shown as tech demo's are similar to what I have seen over the years with game tech demo's heading into a 4 to 6 years of development stage, and this is from company's who didn't need Kickstarters as they are already established gamecompany's and have the money, man power and tech to back them up.

I always said I do hope MJ would reach his kickstarter target, but I also thought he wouldn't make it due to people who might wanted to pledge might have a long history with the gaming genre. In that I was wrong and this is the type of wrong I am happy about, because I truly hope he might again proof me wrong in actually being able to deliver atleast 75% of his promises for CU.

Regardless....

GoodLluck-MJ and those who look forward/pledged to CU and proof me wrong.........

As mentioned before, I dont think that time is the issue.  2.5 years for development of a primarily PvP game really isnt the issue. 

The issue is more whether or not he can excute a multi-server, non-mix faction PvP sandbox.  Especially when it comes to the economy.

Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding but I dont think tacking 2 years will matter and MJ knows this.

What he knows and any honest backer knows is that this KS was based on this premise:

Either MJ has the ability to implement his vision or he doesnt. 

2.5 years is enough to get that.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by professornomos

As mentioned before, I dont think that time is the issue.  2.5 years for development of a primarily PvP game really isnt the issue. 

The issue is more whether or not he can excute a multi-server, non-mix faction PvP sandbox.  Especially when it comes to the economy.

Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding but I dont think tacking 2 years will matter and MJ knows this.

What he knows and any honest backer knows is that this KS was based on this premise:

Either MJ has the ability to implement his vision or he doesnt. 

2.5 years is enough to get that.

Nice summary.  Pretty much.

As I said in another thread - by the time this gets to Beta we will have a pretty fair idea of what is being delivered.

(Some people still think that games change in a big way during Beta - I disagree - they do change but not that much)

So by then we will know if CSE can deliver the theoretically fantastic PvP / RvR MMO.

It's a tough ask for a very tough audience.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Nice summary.  Pretty much.

As I said in another thread - by the time this gets to Beta we will have a pretty fair idea of what is being delivered.

(Some people still think that games change in a big way during Beta - I disagree - they do change but not that much)

So by then we will know if CSE can deliver the theoretically fantastic PvP / RvR MMO.

It's a tough ask for a very tough audience.

Definitely dont disagree with anything but wanted to highlight parts that I especially agree with.

I also wanted to point out that while I agree, I have placed my bet that he can pull it off.

Why?  I think its because in general video games aren't really my thing and I've taken a pretty serious break from MMOs.  I played EvE for 6 months 2 years ago then before that I played WoW from release for about 9 months.

Then I played DAoC from 2003-2004/5?  basically 9 months before WoW went into open beta.

I've only come back to MMOs because I wanted to be on the ground floor of this game.

I also wanted to point out that while I agree, I have placed my bet that he can pull it off.

Hmmm... I'm tempted to take that bet.

I don't think he can pull it off (although I would be happy to be proved wrong in this case - because if he can make the Veilwalker/Veilstalker thing work that alone would be worth seeing!).  Balancing RvR and PvP is tough - throw crafting and resource gathering in to the mix  too also really makes a unique blend.

But I base that on my observations that the man has great ideas but seems to flounder when things don't go exactly as he imagined them in his head.  He usually doesn't seem to have any sort of backup or fallback plan.

I really look forward to seeing how this goes.

I don't think he can pull it off (although I would be happy to be proved wrong in this case - because if he can make the Veilwalker/Veilstalker thing work that alone would be worth seeing!).  Balancing RvR and PvP is tough - throw crafting and resource gathering in to the mix  too also really makes a unique blend.

But I base that on my observations that the man has great ideas but seems to flounder when things don't go exactly as he imagined them in his head.  He usually doesn't seem to have any sort of backup or fallback plan.

How bout this Gentleman's wager: 

I will give you one of my free copies of the game from my tier in order for you to play it and test it out. 

If  you do at least 3 blogs on your experience and then if you honestly cant stand it, I will send you an electronic giftcard to amazon for 25$.  If you like it you do the same to me

How bout this Gentleman's wager: 

I will give you one of my free copies of the game from my tier in order for you to play it and test it out. 

If  you do at least 3 blogs on your experience and then if you honestly cant stand it, I will send you an electronic giftcard to amazon for 25$.  If you like it you do the same to me

I thank you for your offer - but i cannot accept a free copy as it simply wouldn't be fair.  Also I cannot resonably say (due to RL) what my commitments will be like in two years...

However... I will accept the wager in part.

When the game releases - 3 months later (to give it time to resolve launch issues) - I will do a trial (if available - bound to be buddy keys huh?) and I will give it a fair and honest review.   Swollowing pride and eating crow as / if required. 

There doesn't need to be money involved - although if we are both still around we can discuss that again closer to the time.

(I might want a free Sub to CU!)

How's that?

I thank you for your offer - but i cannot accept a free copy as it simply wouldn't be fair.  Also I cannot resonably say (due to RL) what my commitments will be like in two years...

When the game releases - 3 months later (to give it time to resolve launch issues) - I will do a trial (if available - bound to be buddy keys huh?) and I will give it a fair and honest review.   Swollowing pride and eating crow as / if required. 

There doesn't need to be money involved - although if we are both still around we can discuss that again closer to the time.

How's that?

Works for me.  I am sure i will be haunting these forums over the next two years.

My tier includes "optional" Internal Testing.  Thus I will be sure to post what ever I can that is not covered by NDA

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

How's that?

Works for me.  I am sure i will be haunting these forums over the next two years.

My tier includes "optional" Internal Testing.  Thus I will be sure to post what ever I can that is not covered by NDA

This is interesting, I hope I remember to see how this turns out.