Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Darkness: Pulling Back the Veil

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP's World of Darkness has been in development under the proverbial radar. But at last week's FanFest, CCP was ready to reveal new information about the game. We've got the full report so check it out!

Although WoD has been in development for a few years, it seems as if they’re just scraping the surface of what they wish to accomplish. Chris McDonough, the Executive Producer for World of Darkness made it abundantly clear during his presentation that while the game has come a long way, they still have an even longer way to go. The last few years have spent focused on the technological foundation of the newest CCP franchise and most of the keynote was focused on that fact. Videos highlighting the techniques and programs the developers were using to create their immersive world occupied a heavy amount of presentation time. Tools such as Athena, which is used for scripting the games code and Genesis, which is used to generate cities by populating "kits" which themselves are groups of graphics, were given the floor to show how the devs were busting their butts to generate the dark cities that will make up the game world. 

Read more of Blake Morse's World of Darkness: Pulling Back the Veil.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This is one title I have and will keep an eye on for sure.

...as long as there are no lame spinning ships that is.

• imahayheadimahayhead Member UncommonPosts: 33
    It would have been nice to have a vid along with this. I've been waiting years for this while CCP has merely put it on the backburner while almost all attention was focused on Dust 514.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

You didn't record a little gameplay video with your mobile, did you ?

Btw, scary childhood. ;)

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by McGamer

This is one title I have and will keep an eye on for sure.

...as long as there are no lame spinning ships that is.

Ships? No. Other things like transportation, avatars, etc (hmm fang spinning... j/k)? Maybe. ;-p

Still watching WoD and I still hope that one day after release they expand beyond VtM into areas like Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Hunter, etc. I still remember my old LARP days of playing a Toreador antitribu and eventually jumping into WtA (mostly Bastet), I use to playact with the thespians on stage after school with the teacher as GM. ;-P

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Take as long as you need CCP, release it right, do not listen to any fanboys complaining.

Make it awesome.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yet too early to comment ,but i will.

Love ccp- but this?...Leave it to Funcom=TSW rules! nothing else will impress me.

they should of focused on making a 'walking eve-online'  with all factions=unfortunately PS3 highjacked it.

• nathanknaacknathanknaack Level Designer - CCP GamesMember UncommonPosts: 27
    That's the plan, RefMinor. :)=
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I'm actually surprised by the lack of any official.... well, anything, from CCP. It you don't count journalist's retellings of what they saw you'd think WoD panel wasn't even at Fanfest this year.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Love ccp- but this?...Leave it to Funcom=TSW rules! nothing else will impress me.

they should of focused on making a 'walking eve-online'  with all factions=unfortunately PS3 highjacked it.

Lord I hope this is a poor attempt at trolling.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Lol clan based Pvp in the world of darkness. So uh who's gonna play the Toreador or the Salubri. Gonna me more Gangrels and Brujah then grins of sand on a beach.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70
    As always patiently waiting for this one with harshly uncontained excitement! <3 CCp!
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

This game has the potential to be what The Secret World should have been, at least in structure and gameplay, and that is very exciting.  TSW should have been a more sandbox hybrid RPG lovers dream home, but instead it became a themepark dungeon gear grinder.

Who knows where development is though.  It sounds like it could be a couple years before release.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by orbitxo

you do know that white wolf (the creator is Vampire The Masquerade and Bloodlines) are also wokring on this? games that are the base for WoD and games that are way older then even TSW?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Wolf_Publishing

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    were not gonna see this til like 2015/16...dang!!!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I am looking forward to this, the setting is perfect and after all Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was one of the finest RPG's of all time in my opinion.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"sandbox environmental atmosphere of Defiance"

umm.. well... nevermind, hope we don't see anymore defiance comparisons :p

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScottyakScottyak Member Posts: 12

I just hope it really is the world of darkness and not Vampire the Masquerade Online.

Werewolf the Apocalypse or GTFO.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Looking forward to it!  I love the concept art.

• marlborzmarlborz Member Posts: 36
    how long does it take to make an mmo? If our past ^&*& up's give us any indication on where this is going world of darkness will be it for me. Can we get a screenshot other then the small area completed and showed in their last conference video.
  • marlborzmarlborz Member Posts: 36

i can't wait whe des it launch?

ceo of world of darkness and full time contributing member writes:

we expect it to launch in the third quarter of 2017 at 12:56 pctdfg time. To convert that to you time zone add 3 additonal years and a couple beta phases.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This game is going to suck ,  literally. Make it good CCP ! This could be the mmo that defnines the genre once again.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    all these years and only a tech demo to show for it.  How's DUST working out for you CCP?
  • QullexQullex Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Scottyak

Last they said, they were starting with VtM and vanilla humans. Others would be added later.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    They shouldn't take too long, otherwise graphics, etc. will be outdated when it comes out, like we see with Neverwinter textures currently :(. I think this has the potential to be something awesome.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Originally posted by Qullex
    Originally posted by Scottyak

Last they said, they were starting with VtM and vanilla humans. Others would be added later.

Funny cus I coudl have sworn I heard they were gonna have werewolves as well.  I do hope so as I only wish to play a werewolf.

imageimage