Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dear Camelot Unchained fans

2»

Comments

• Except people didn't spam the other forums. It was people from other forums coming into the CU forum and whining people were posting about CU in the CU forums. Extremely mysterious behaviour. A few people were just a little too desperate for the KS to fail, and that had a bad impact on the forums.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

i dont really agree on the OP, but it doesnt matter.

#2 : as far as i can remember, there wasnt much of that said by actual CU fans, on the contrary, its the haters that kept being more than negative about CU

#4 at many times lots of us have tried to be nice, reason with them, no results whatsoever...respect goes both ways....when its a one way road, eventually traffic jams, and nothing moves

What i hope and believe is that if CU is a success, it might encourage other studios, big or small, to change their formula about how to make mmorpgs.

I'm not saying MJ is perfect, no one is, what i mean is that if it really succeeds when it launches, it'll prove that making a niche game with a sub can actually work, leading to more Niche games, so in the long run, EVERYONE can find a niche game they dont just like, but love to play it year after year.

I Still wish that to all Trolls, haters, as they are all humans, and deserve a game they will love too, it might even put them back in a positive attitude :)

Peace, i'm out...

almost for good.

You are right, there hasnt been much of #2, but I have seen it. 

As for the whole CU being a success thing, thats at least 4 years out: 3 for the game to release and 1 to truly judge if its a success.  Of the two HUGE titles in development, we know one is a sandbox (EQNext) and with games like GW2 not resembling WoW at all, havent we seen a shift already?  And of course there is that other huge game...  What if Titan is something completely different?

And what if another title like The repopulation becomes a hit before CU is even launched?  If the studios have mostly ignored EvE why wouldnt they ignore CU too?  We already know foir a FACT that niche games with a sub work.  the #2 sub game is a niche game.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Except people didn't spam the other forums. It was people from other forums coming into the CU forum and whining people were posting about CU in the CU forums. Extremely mysterious behaviour.

There where post in other forums, but all you have to do is look at the top 8 posters in CU and it's all bumps,. so yeah sorry it was spam.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

A few people were just a little too desperate for the KS to fail, and that had a bad impact on the forums.

Threads with titles like 'The final countdown for a kickstarter, and an industry" or whatever its called are the biggest reasons why the forums turned volatile.  the so called haters were an effect, not a cause.  A thread like that is a lightning rod not only for trolls, but for people that just like to call out bullshit when they see it.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I'm not saying MJ is perfect, no one is, what i mean is that if it really succeeds when it launches, it'll prove that making a niche game with a sub can actually work, leading to more Niche games, so in the long run, EVERYONE can find a niche game they dont just like, but love to play it year after year.

As for the whole CU being a success thing, thats at least 4 years out: 3 for the game to release and 1 to truly judge if its a success. ...

I disagree with your times here.

The projected release is December 2015.  So, the game will probably move to closed Beta about April - June 2015.

With so many having paid for access we will have a pretty good idea by August - October 2015 at the latest what the final product will be like.

If it does release December 2015 then by late Feburary 2015 the final verdict will be in - with the exception of a few who will either be claiming that "players will soon get bored with .... blah blah" OR "...server mergers are a good thing and now the community is more compact!" - depending on how it goes?

The majority of players will have a pretty clear idea of how it is going within a week of 'retail release'.

As for "niche" - can we stop saying that?  Please?  All it really means is "We don't think we will topple WoW {but if we do...W00t!!}"

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

When people get hyped up, they do dumb shit, much like the spam posts etc.

Either way, I hope this game turns out great. I'm personally excited for it, but the mmo industry needs less fan boys, and more people to just accept that people may be into the game, may not be.

Killing dragons is my shit

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

I must admit that I have been somehwat trolly towards the CU playerbase, or at least some of it, those who were very self entitled or just spammed too much.

However I am glad the game is now funded, and hope it at leats reaches the 2.5 mil stretch goal (altho it might be hard) as the depths seem like a cool idea.

To a good development and a good game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Except people didn't spam the other forums. It was people from other forums coming into the CU forum and whining people were posting about CU in the CU forums. Extremely mysterious behaviour. A few people were just a little too desperate for the KS to fail, and that had a bad impact on the forums.

It wasn't all that mysterious, it was the in thing to bitch about in regard to CU. Much like faction locks for ESO, mounts for Gw2, queues with Neverwinter. The chorus of disaproval (whom all seem to watch the "live feed"..... coincidence?). Find an issue and sensatiionalize it for every title.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

Where to start....

Congrats!  Hopefully the game turns out in a way that will please as many of you as possible.  ill be keeping an eye on it for sure!

Thank you!! We sincerely hope so as well!

And its possible to have a mostly "hater" free forum.  Here is how:

Oh boy.... here it comes.....

1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums. - I am sure that many people can appreciate your intent here, but I for one, do not. For me, personally, it is the savior to *my*  MMO landscape, and I couldn't care less what other people may think. I have never been much for 'fanboyism', but I can tell you one thing, I *never* went into a forum created specifically for them, just to spend my time bashing the game, the supporters, the fans, the developers, or their enthusiasm.

This place became a cesspool for poor behavior, and 99% of it from people not at all interested in CU, but who were too stupid and lazy to figure out how NOT to click on a link about a game they didn't like. I'm sorry that our enthusiasm generated enough discussion to make it to the top of some list that you were forced to lay eyeballs on for a few seconds or caused you to have to click a few extra times.

Excuse me while I squeal in delight a little bit about the possibility of the first MMO game to cater to my specific playstyle in over a decade, instead of tacking shit on as an afterthought while spending millions of dollars to cater to everybody, and by extension, nobody.

I'm sorry to have offended anyone wth any 'spam' in regard to my excitement at finding an MMO 'Home' after wanding the MMO desert for a decade, or at finding friends who have been wandering, just like me, after all of these years.

I get that these aren't your things, or aren't for 'most' people. Nobody asked those 'most' people to come to this forum to shit all over it. Nobody. So telling me how to 'act' in a forum created specifically for people who are interested in the success of this game is a little f-in presumptuous - and trite. 

2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them. - Ummm... the difference is that again, I didn't go into WoW's forums, GW2's forums, SWTOR's forums, Aion's forums, Warhammer's forums, Age of Conan's forums, TERA's forums, or any other forums to bash anything, and I don't recall anyone else going there to specifically bash them either.

We did however, discuss how much we thought those games sucked here though, and more specifically why they sucked - for us. This wasn't blind trashing, there are serious flaws to those games that advertised that they would be for us, but didn't come even close. We also took the time to discuss what we would like to see implemented differently in this game, and we even discussed the good things from those games that we took away from it.  

But you can bet your sweet ass that many people from all of those games came to trash the hell out of CU, the fans, Mark Jacobs and anything to do with this game at every opportunity. And why? What for? Was it because we didn't enjoy the PvE they all thought was so great? Or the weak and watered down imitation of what RvR used to be? Because they had some personal axe to grind against Mark Jacobs?

The excuse I most see is because our threads received so much excitement and activity that they were 'annoying' to people who had to read the title of the thread.... 

Seriously.....

Think about it.......

They had to see mutliple thread titles, which 'annoyed them', and prompted them to click their way through to troll rather than spare a few clicks to pass them on by..

And you presume to lecture on behavior from CU Fans? Give me a break.

3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves - I agree, the spam campaigns were silly. That said, it was constantly pointed out to us that we were such a small 'minority' of the gaming segment, not a single one of us thought that there was enough support to garner the attention that it did. It was unintentional for it to reach such a pinnacle, and apologies were made not just my Mark Jacobs (althought that was awesome), but by many of those involved, and not involved.

You want to see classy? See Time's post thanking the MMORPG staff for being awesome, when not two threads away is a thread dedicated entirely to bashing him, CU, Mark Jacobs, and the rest of the game's supporters - over, and over, and over. Yet, he still took the time to be a class act on here.

HIS thank you thread is potentially the only thread on here that has kept me from letting loose and getting myself perma-banned.

4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on. - Fuck this. No. Seriously. I've spent the last 30 days 'being nice' and trying to remain reasonable in order to keep some sense of peace and perspective. You know what they didn't do? Move on. Nope. No sir. They were more than happy to keep coming here to troll and bash and flame, to the point that mmorpg had to take serious measures to put out the flames at the request of Mark Jacobs.

I myself have been 'warned' and 'temporarily banned' more than once. Not for cursing, not for slamming a game, but for simply calling Obvious Troll Obvious. I've even had entire thoughtful and reasoned out posts on here outright deleted without so much as a notice about it.

The moderation here was at one point, a joke, at best, while they let trolls roam free because they too were irritated at our enthusiasm. 

You know what's sad to me? That those trolls were so bitter about our happiness at the potential to get a game we might enjoy. I'm sorry that they don't enjoy their game as much as we enjoy the the potential of having this game. I'm sorry their developers are nowhere near as involved with their community. I'm sorry that we have more passion for this game in our little pinkies as they do their whole body and had the time / willpower / and funds to make it a reality. Truly.

They can still go ****  themselves. Every. Last. One of them. I'm done playing nice.

And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made - That is our hope as well. It has literally been over 10 years since a game has come out that has made us happy for momre than a few months. After a decade of being pushed to the side or shoved in the closet, we're all thrilled for even the possibility.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to come in and be so concerned for our forum community - much of which will cease to exsist here the minute that the official forums go live. We could have used that concern from the very beginning, but this unnecessary lecture is too little, too late.

Originally posted by Nyrrho

Agreed.

I'm glad CU has been fully funded. There are a lot of people who want to see this game realized. I myself am hopeful that this game will live up to its expectations.

However, I just can't stand listening to people drudge on and on about this game as if it were better than canned bread. It was never amusing to see someone speak their thoughts about CU, and then watch as several people with a "Support CU on kickstarter" banner in their signature hammer that person with a finely tuned bulleted list. - I just can't stand to see people come into these forums to bash on CU, bash on Mark Jacobs, and basically bash the shit out of anything related to the words Camelot or Unchained. Especially when they were throwing out factual errors or in general making horrid and unfounded assumptions or accusations as if they were the gospel truth. - (See  Nephaerius's post below for an example of this kind of stupidity)

The finely tuned bulleted lists were the least that those types of trolls deserved. Nine out of ten people with valid concerns, suggestions, or other questions had back and forth discussions with many of us. Some supported, some did not, but they weren't ran out of here on a rail... or on a bullet list.

Hopefully now that it's funded, people can calm down and let MJ & Co. make their game. - Amen.

Originally posted by Nephaerius

I love that MJ "publicly spoke out against spam campaigns" as he literally spammed all of the major video game news outlets begging for coverage of his Kickstarter.  

Gee... imagine that. A Game developer trying to market a game. Please, show me a single article, email, or comment from Mark Jacobs that he spammed over and over to news outlets. There is a difference between getting marketing and coverage for your Kickstarter, and the spam campaign so backhandedly mentioned by Mr. Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade.

He got called out on it repeatedly on Twitter by various publications/authors

No, "He", didn't. The supporters of Camelot Unchained got called out on it, but not Mark Specifically. And why? Because he was running around apologizing for his over-enthusiastic fan base, all the while asking them to stop.

- Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade being the first one to pop into my head. 

I'm glad that you take Mr. Kuchera so seriously. He's actually pretty famous in the gaming journo world. I wonder why that is? Oh... gee... here's why:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/

This guy is a fucking tool. A large, hypocritical tool. CU and Mark actually got lucky, considering his usual style of hack and slash "reporting". I take anything this guy has to say with a big rock of salt.

There is so much more I could say about how this whole matter was handled from the top of MMORPG on down, but why bother? The character of the majority of gamers who post here and the moderators that enabled them for so long speaks volumes.

I, for one, am glad to be out.

Peace.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well it is the first mmo to fund through kickstarter.

That should give hope to you guys wanting other niche non wow clone product.

Wouldn't be suprised if we now saw a ks for a swg style pve sandbox for instance
  • professornomosprofessornomos Member Posts: 67
    Technically pathfinder was the first but it's not going to have PvP as far as we know.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Except people didn't spam the other forums. It was people from other forums coming into the CU forum and whining people were posting about CU in the CU forums. Extremely mysterious behaviour. A few people were just a little too desperate for the KS to fail, and that had a bad impact on the forums.

nothing mysterious about it, I use the current forum activity page on this site to access new posts and it was clogged up for too long with Camelot spam.

Originally posted by Gyrus

As for the whole CU being a success thing, thats at least 4 years out: 3 for the game to release and 1 to truly judge if its a success. ...

I disagree with your times here.

The projected release is December 2015.  So, the game will probably move to closed Beta about April - June 2015.

With so many having paid for access we will have a pretty good idea by August - October 2015 at the latest what the final product will be like.

If it does release December 2015 then by late Feburary 2015 the final verdict will be in - with the exception of a few who will either be claiming that "players will soon get bored with .... blah blah" OR "...server mergers are a good thing and now the community is more compact!" - depending on how it goes?

The majority of players will have a pretty clear idea of how it is going within a week of 'retail release'.

As for "niche" - can we stop saying that?  Please?  All it really means is "We don't think we will topple WoW {but if we do...W00t!!}"

1.  The game most likely will not hit projected release, especially when the flex goals start coming in.   If they are planning on 2.5 years expect 3 years+.  Things always take longer than planned.

2.  I think you need at least a 6 month span to see retention trends.  Realistically even longer.  Rift got huge praise on its release and looked like a hit.  But its retention was awful.  EQ2 started out looking like a dud but they fixed the game up pretty well.  the result?  at the two year mark EQ2 had more subs than Rift at the two year mark.  Both games were moderate successes, but two months out one looked like a hit and the other looked like a flop.

Even so, all my other points do hold up about the matter.  By early 2016 EQN, probably Titan as well as a few of the earlier kickstarter MMOs will be out already.

Niche means that it is only trying to appease a subset of the general population.  A game like Rift tries its best to appease everyone.  A game like Darkfall is only going after diehard PvPers.  Everquest was actually a niche game in a way because it didnt care about the PvP crowd (some played regardless though).

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well it is the first mmo to fund through kickstarter.

That should give hope to you guys wanting other niche non wow clone product.

Wouldn't be suprised if we now saw a ks for a swg style pve sandbox for instance

Here is one that has used kickstarter to augment the game and is certainlly heavily influenced by swg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation

Of course CU is being majorly funded by KS while this game is only getting some extra development money

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    More moral police posts on game forums ... how quaint.

You stay sassy!

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Taldier

Congrats!  Hopefully the game turns out in a way that will please as many of you as possible.  ill be keeping an eye on it for sure!

1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums.

2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them.  

3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves

4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on.

And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made

I love that MJ "publicly spoke out against spam campaigns" as he literally spammed all of the major video game news outlets begging for coverage of his Kickstarter.  He got called out on it repeatedly on Twitter by various publications/authors - Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade being the first one to pop into my head. 

Congrats on the game being funded.  It sounds great and like a game I'd love to play, but I'm not throwing down any money until it actually exists.  At this point I'm still skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

It certainly looks like you didnt actually read the article by Ben Kuchera, your brain just saw the words "spam" and "camelot unchained" in the title and automatically decided it was evidence for your blind hatred of Mark Jacobs.

Especially since Ben's article very clearly says the exact opposite, pointing out a poorly concieved effort by a small number of fans that MJ tried to stop when he became aware of it.

Did you even read what I wrote?  I wasn't talking about any article I was talking about a Tweet from Ben on Twitter that literally stated "Mark Jacobs spamming us about your Kickstarter will not get you coverage."  Ben has also stated on Twitter how shady he felt the reward tiers were.  So maybe next time you should read what I wrote instead of getting all butt hurt and replying in a rage.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums.

2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them.  

3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves

4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on.

And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made

I love that MJ "publicly spoke out against spam campaigns" as he literally spammed all of the major video game news outlets begging for coverage of his Kickstarter.  He got called out on it repeatedly on Twitter by various publications/authors - Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade being the first one to pop into my head. 

Congrats on the game being funded.  It sounds great and like a game I'd love to play, but I'm not throwing down any money until it actually exists.  At this point I'm still skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

This is news to me. Do you have a source for this? I've only seen an article where fans of CU spammed Ben Kuchera and other news sites, but never one about MJ. In fact MJ's been  telling the same people to stop the spam.

I would if I didn't have to probably go through 1000's of Tweets at this point and I wasn't at work where the PC will explode just trying to load my twitter feed.

Steam: Neph

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Taldier

It certainly looks like you didnt actually read the article by Ben Kuchera, your brain just saw the words "spam" and "camelot unchained" in the title and automatically decided it was evidence for your blind hatred of Mark Jacobs.

Especially since Ben's article very clearly says the exact opposite, pointing out a poorly concieved effort by a small number of fans that MJ tried to stop when he became aware of it.

Did you even read what I wrote?  I wasn't talking about any article I was talking about a Tweet from Ben on Twitter that literally stated "Mark Jacobs spamming us about your Kickstarter will not get you coverage."  Ben has also stated on Twitter how shady he felt the reward tiers were.  So maybe next time you should read what I wrote instead of getting all butt hurt and replying in a rage.

I read what you wrote. Ben Kuchera calling anyone out for spamming on Twitter is a joke.

Ben Kuchera on Twitter at all is a joke.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/

Aside from that, Ben Kuchera blaming Mark Jacobs for spamming because he couldn't grasp the concept of a developer actually having a fan base as dedicated as the fans of CU are was sheer laziness on his part, but that is typical of his 'professionalism'.

His statement of anything being 'Shady' is just icing on the irony cake.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Once again, this is for discussion of the game, and not a place for meta discussion of this forum.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.