Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

Comments

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I do see quite a bit UC posts, but there were way more GW2 posts for a longer period of time. Hell, I think I still see more TESO posts about why someone hates something than UC posts, lol.

I also find the comments funny about people saying they would have pledged or will remove pledges because of a few overzealous people wanting the game released. The former probably never would have pledged at all regardless, and the latter, that is just silly, or they never pledged and are just saying that.

Think about it. A person won't play a game they are looking forward to because there are some irritating people in it. LOL. Guess those people will never play another mmo ever again. Annoying, immature people are in every game. If you don't like their forum activity, don't read it.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Marcus-
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by Marcus-

So theres overzealous people on the internet?  No kidding.

They have little effect on what games (or political views, or religous views, or which movies or.... ) i am interested in, and i plan to keep it that way.

If you allow them to even slightly determine how you viewed this game, well thats a shame, in my opinion. Especially if its the type of game you'd be interested in.

Yes and no, it gives you an understanding of the possible community issues that could come later after the game launches. You may be surprised what overzealous people are capable of, and I think you underestimate them.

Only if you think a pretty high percentage of the 10,933 current backers are acting this way. Perhaps you overestimate them?

I also wouldn't give them the satisfaction of steering me one way or another if that were the case. Theres probably a lot more people in MMOs these days i would rather avoid than "group" with. There is a really good chance these people will have no effect on my play in this game whatsover. And i am pretty thankfull for that . The "good" folks however, make it all worthwhile.

I'm curious, how many PvP focused games have a reputation for having mature and friendly communities?

not a single one. the first GW had a good PVE community, the pvp crowd was as bad as any other game. ditto for DAoC.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    The terrible spam today has made me seriously consider cancelling my pledge, I'm not sure i want 2 years on the closed forums with these type of people.

Please go ahead and cancel, because one thing worse than spammers are whiners. 

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

It's not like someone forces you to read/write on the forums, if you don't like the community it doens't mean you can't enjoy the game.

Look at moba games, they are known to have some of the worst communities (because the games are so heavily team focused), yet I still enjoy them, doesn't mean I have to get involved with the community/post on their forums to enjoy the game.

• BeggarKingBeggarKing Member UncommonPosts: 15

The problem is that KS itself creates a feeling of "We need to makeppl aware of us" atmosphere. The game only funds if ppl hear about it,the only way for ppl to hear about it is the forums and the review sites. I know for a fact there wasn;t any intentional spam spec ops style attack,in fact I can tell you what happened. One of our members who had also funded Divinity (which btw looks very cool as well) and when they hit their funding goal they passed to him/her a list of media/forums sites that they had also sent word out to about their KS project stating that their numbers had gone up massively after mailing these sites.

Now instead of just sending 1 mail to each site him/herself they shared the list on the backers forum which ofc at this time had about 9.5k ppl and it snowballed from there with multiple ppl thinking they were doing the best for the game by emailing the sites on the list, one person even typed out a cut n paste few paragraphs so ppl didnt have to each type something different and to make sure the info was all correct and upto date.

It was the wrong thing to do but with the best intentions and lessons were learnt. Most are very passionate and when you are putting as much money into a game as we have (about $160 average per backer!!!) then ppl tend to become a bit over zealous and also will defend the idea/game with maybe a bit more gusto than is needed.

It did feel like a catch 22 situation though at times,if we stayed quiet the game doesn't get the backers but if we speak too loudly too often it puts backers off (shrug)

For all of my fellow CU backers I apologise for any annoyance caused,but hey what can you do,an over excited puppy is always going to hump your leg then pee on your shoe, its just nature ;)

• cmacordcmacord Member Posts: 6
    Major gratz to Mark & gang for hitting the mark !!!!!1
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    [mod edit]

Amazing that you still fail to see the point.  Kickstarter *is* intended to do exactly what its name implies, no matter how much the naysayers argue otherwise. 

Sure, you can use KS to fund projects that are already in various stages of development.  Clearly, you can also use it to... hmm, kickstart new projects!

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Ah, the last den of troll baiting here on CU forums.  Started out legitimate, then spiraled into the cesspool that is here.  Maybe I'm just jaded these days.

I agree with the article in the sense that trying to make something viral without the consent of the developers is a big, big no no in Kickstarters.

Glad we funded.  /end

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DocBrody
    What a joke. A project with nothing to show succeeds through spamming??? Great, expect lots of "campaigns" of that flavor in the future. Kickstarter game projects are officially dead for me. Blergh.

You're assuming that's what happened. There's no way to tell. Many Kickstarters get close to the end and aren't actually trending towards getting funded, but they do because there's an increase in pledges. CU getting funded could just be that there were enough people who wanted to see it funded all along and the spam campaign meant nothing, except that some advertisers and news sites refused to cover the game because of the grass roots spam. Even that is going to be temporary since the game got funded.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Maybe the people shilling the still-very-much-theoretical-MMO called CU can shut up now. Maybe in 2-3 years there will be some reason to pay attention.
  • rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Lol at the people that come here too complain if you guys don't support CU then why visit the Camelot Unchained Forum section on here for goodness sakes go cry elsewhere.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by rimaxo14
    Lol at the people that come here too complain if you guys don't support CU then why visit the Camelot Unchained Forum section on here for goodness sakes go cry elsewhere.

INB4 "but I can see it in the live feed"....derp

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea never got the whole "This game is gonna suckt, so im here posting about how much your game is gonna suck instead of playing my said awesome game of awesomeness"

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I'm just glad they reached there goal now MJ can setup a forum on the website that they can all go to so we don't have to have every live thread filled with nothing but CU spam..........

Cause now every post is gonna be how wonderful the game is gonna be even though its probably 2+ years away.......

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Me personally, I talked about CU with my guild, people i really played daoc with(still play together on lol etc) and one post on my gw2 server forums. After that the word spreading was done because there's no sense spamming.

I don't see anything really negative about it, although the writer does seem a bit whiny. Oh well, never read PA to begin with... better off finding out about things through boards rather than some shills who suck up to certain companies. More of a shot at ign and the likes, since like I said... never read PA.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

ITT: CU backers recieve warning from game journalist and plea from MJ indictating that their behavior is out of line, fail to take note of the point and attempt to justify their actions.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

Then you basically are jut screwing yourself moneywise. You'll end up paying more for the game and getting not as much back as opposed to if you had backed. But hey, it's your money and not my problem. You got to stick it to the "fanboys" which was more inmportant to you than getting a better deal. Huzzah!

Yes, glad that happened also.

They were in the wrong, and if they were this annoying on forums, just imagine how they would be in the game!

Community is everything when it comes to MMORPG's, many of you forget this and paid for it.

Community USED to be everything. During the first generation it was. After 2004 and the themepark era, not o much. Very easy to start over and not really lose any ground once you've worn out your welocme with a given character.

I'm not saying those that spammed were right. I am saying that those of you who think that is even a significant portion of the CU community and thus indicative of the whole are way off base. But hey, it's a tiny straw for you to grasp at to further throw your hate at a project. By all means, carry on and as in the end you are no better than the ones you think you are persecuting.

I just hope your heads don't explode if the KS makes and honestly these guys don't set a KS goal unless they have a backup plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they have backers who were told to wait to the end and that those backers were good for X amount. And we have past the dollar amount where X amount will fund it.

That aside, As I said in 2004 and now again 9 years later, I still don't see why some of you make it your daily pleasure of wishing other people don't get the kind of game they want. I know part of it is you are selfish because this would be another game that isn't meant for you. I just don't know why else.

Um sorry i have to disagree with this. You guys have been getting everything you have been wanting since 2004, and that is why mmo's are in the state of decay that they are in this day in age. And again has to do with community, which even you have stated has gone down hill. The self gratitude era, i win button era, and give me give me with no work at all era is what selfish acts that led to the crap produced today.

And for many here, community is still a huge part of mmo's.

Some of us are sick of these3 week long stories that dry up and leaves a hollow game, the hand held easy mmo's, being lead around on a leash mmo's, f2p pieces of garbage, eye candy is more important than quality mmo's, non-linear games, lack of exploration and crafting, loot based systems, missing features, lack of player and developer creativity, 3 hour max level games, and games that are claiming to be mmorps but are nothing more than piss poor console rpg's. Do believe the other side has been more than a little selfish.........wouldnt you?

You are wrong. I know I have not been getting the type MMO I want and there are a ton of posts on this forums to prove that point.  Sorry but you think you jumped one of those themepark give me a trophy for participation folks, but that isn't me. You need to slow down and reread what I wrote, which was blasting the themepark revolution and it's easy bake oven mentality.

And no, like I said, Community isn't big now because of those themepark games. Reputation means nothing now because the games themselves don't hold players accountable. Games like CU will go back to doing that.

I'm one of the more vocal Sandbox, harder more time consuming MMO pro folks around this site. Have been for many years before you ever came here. My post history confirms that.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol someone wasn't here during the entire years long build up before gw2 release
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

Then you basically are jut screwing yourself moneywise. You'll end up paying more for the game and getting not as much back as opposed to if you had backed. But hey, it's your money and not my problem. You got to stick it to the "fanboys" which was more inmportant to you than getting a better deal. Huzzah!

Yes, glad that happened also.

They were in the wrong, and if they were this annoying on forums, just imagine how they would be in the game!

Community is everything when it comes to MMORPG's, many of you forget this and paid for it.

Community USED to be everything. During the first generation it was. After 2004 and the themepark era, not o much. Very easy to start over and not really lose any ground once you've worn out your welocme with a given character.

I'm not saying those that spammed were right. I am saying that those of you who think that is even a significant portion of the CU community and thus indicative of the whole are way off base. But hey, it's a tiny straw for you to grasp at to further throw your hate at a project. By all means, carry on and as in the end you are no better than the ones you think you are persecuting.

I just hope your heads don't explode if the KS makes and honestly these guys don't set a KS goal unless they have a backup plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they have backers who were told to wait to the end and that those backers were good for X amount. And we have past the dollar amount where X amount will fund it.

That aside, As I said in 2004 and now again 9 years later, I still don't see why some of you make it your daily pleasure of wishing other people don't get the kind of game they want. I know part of it is you are selfish because this would be another game that isn't meant for you. I just don't know why else.

Um sorry i have to disagree with this. You guys have been getting everything you have been wanting since 2004, and that is why mmo's are in the state of decay that they are in this day in age. And again has to do with community, which even you have stated has gone down hill. The self gratitude era, i win button era, and give me give me with no work at all era is what selfish acts that led to the crap produced today.

And for many here, community is still a huge part of mmo's.

Some of us are sick of these3 week long stories that dry up and leaves a hollow game, the hand held easy mmo's, being lead around on a leash mmo's, f2p pieces of garbage, eye candy is more important than quality mmo's, non-linear games, lack of exploration and crafting, loot based systems, missing features, lack of player and developer creativity, 3 hour max level games, and games that are claiming to be mmorps but are nothing more than piss poor console rpg's. Do believe the other side has been more than a little selfish.........wouldnt you?

You are wrong. I know I have not been getting the type MMO I want and there are a ton of posts on this forums to prove that point.  Sorry but you think you jumped one of those themepark give me a trophy for participation folks, but that isn't me. You need to slow down and reread what I wrote, which was blasting the themepark revolution and it's easy bake oven mentality.

And no, like I said, Community isn't big now because of those themepark games. Reputation means nothing now because the games themselves don't hold players accountable. Games like CU will go back to doing that.

I'm one of the more vocal Sandbox, harder more time consuming MMO pro folks around this site. Have been for many years before you ever came here. My post history confirms that.

Honestly this whole conversation is eerily similar to those about Darkfall/Mortal, before they released.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Crazy, this game is so far away...yet so much talk about it...blows me away.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, it's totaly legit when the press spams us, BEWARE tho! don't turn that around :) 

good work @spammers i'd say, give em their own meds

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Derros

Honestly this whole conversation is eerily similar to those about Darkfall/Mortal, before they released.

Maybe. But there are big huge looming differences. CU actually has the money it needs to be made into a solid game. CU also has a development team that has shipped MMOs before, and not only that but well received one. Also single player games. Basically CSE has people that have been tested and passed.

The above isn't hype, it's just plain old fact. I don't know what people mean by "second coming" and don't really care to. CU won't cure cancer, but if made as designed it stands a good chance of breaking the themepark monotony that is MMO gaming these days. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Maybe. But there are big huge looming differences. CU actually has the money it needs to be made into a solid game. CU also has a development team that has shipped MMOs before, and not only that but well received one. Also single player games. Basically CSE has people that have been tested and passed.

The above isn't hype, it's just plain old fact. I don't know what people mean by "second coming" and don't really care to. CU won't cure cancer, but if made as designed it stands a good chance of breaking the themepark monotony that is MMO gaming these days. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Aren't there only 2 people at CSE that have designed and released an MMORPG? Here is the last and only game made by CSE: March on Oz.

• GrimborGrimbor Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by colddog04

Aren't there only 2 people at CSE that have designed and released an MMORPG? Here is the last and only game made by CSE: March on Oz.

Yah and one is the lead designer and the other is the lead developer.  Whats your point?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Grimbor
    Originally posted by colddog04

Yah and one is the lead designer and the other is the lead developer.  Whats your point?

Oh, just that they made it sound like there was a whole team behind it that has all this great experience making and releasing MMORPGS when really there is a single designer and developer that have.