Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Stormtalon's Lair Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the latest WildStar Wednesday, the team is ready to take the cover off the first dungeon in the game. Called Stormtalon's Lair, the dungeon is watched over and protected by the enigmatic Pell.

Inside Stormtalon's Lair

Inside the cave, the Pell are engaging in a time-wrought tradition passed down from their ancestors, using an ancient Eldan incubator to transform one of their acolytes into a monstrosity known as Stormtalon. Having chosen a worthy candidate for the ceremony, the Thundercall High Priest is making preparations for the imminent birth of their "god" using a strange mix of magic and technology that the Pell have developed over thousands of years on planet Nexus. Sensing that the momentous event is near, the Pell inside the cavern have been driven into an insane, religious fervor and will attack any outsider on sight.

Read more on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Yawn

What's the loot like and how big will my gearscore get from it?

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I can't say that this looks super, although the rest of the game has looked interesting so far.  The Pell?  The grant people?  This particular area seems exceedingly ho-hum.  The crazed religious zealots raising their god-who-destroys-the-world theme has been used to the point of becoming cliche.  After reading the post on the main site, it just didn't look that engaging.
  • raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22
    I was into this game until I head about Archeage.
  • ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52
    Stormtalon mountains - copying wow already LOL
  • Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Thresh

Either you never played WoW or need a refresher course.  It was Stonetalon Mountains on Kalimdor.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Heatsink98
    I can't say that this looks super, although the rest of the game has looked interesting so far.  The Pell?  The grant people?  This particular area seems exceedingly ho-hum.  The crazed religious zealots raising their god-who-destroys-the-world theme has been used to the point of becoming cliche.  After reading the post on the main site, it just didn't look that engaging.

So whats a not cliche example? And to benefit the devs what would be a strategy to not be cliche? Never done before or keeping it simple? I doubt there is a creative idea that has not been before to avoid being cliche. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Looks pretty good for the first instance in the game.  Can't wait to hear more.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Thresh

yea, or if you are no little wannabe, they copied warhammer here.

next theory? and try not to pull it out of your ass this time mr  "i dont use a nick from LoL! this is totaly unique and i did not copy anything!"

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by DMKano

Also didn't EQ have Drakin -a human dragon race, wildstar has Draken heh.

Wildstar has nexus, so does EQ for about 8 years.

They really need to work on more original names, seems like they are really into two-word combinations: wild-star, storm-talon, etc.

Also the mech race is... Mechari, the stone race is Granok lol, and is it me or do Granok look a LOT like a certain big hulking race from DAoC Mid realm? :)

yet, your nick is Kano and your avatar tells us.... you like to copy.

nexus is actually i quite normal word, not specific for games or anything. that's like saying "they have 4 wheeled driving machines, and call em cars. lol. total disney ripoff here"

ps: there is a difference between using the same old legends to base your chars on, and to copy. if you played midgard, you know those granok don't really look like our trolls. they are just sibblings... at max

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I just read this and found it interesting which surprised me considering all the negative comments. Not every idea is something new but it is still interesting and well conceived. Honestly I feel sorry for today's game designers because a large percentage of their audience are jaded spoiled gamers whohave forgotten the joy of game immersion. I guess that happens when you have played to many games.
  • ChemicalBurnsChemicalBurns Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Its all about the execution of the idea. Anything can be boiled down to bullet points and look silly. We just have to hope they do it right and make it fun.
  • AkaishenAkaishen Member Posts: 12

Practically every story element is similar to something else. Crazed religious people trying to bring about their god has definitely been used. So what? What matters is, will the dungeon be fun?

Simple names are important for helping players remember areas. Combining two words for names has been used for a long time to brand companies, buy web domains, and write books. The only problem you run into is using a combination of words that someone else has used before and there's really no getting around it. How can we expect developers to know the names of every area in every game, book, movie, anime, etc. Some expectations are bit too harsh.

To me, it looks fun and I look forward to learning more about other dungeons.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Thane 
    yet, your nick is Kano and your avatar tells us.... you like to copy.

My mmorpg nick is DMKano (and dm does not stand for dungeon master, its an inside joke that only my friends now) :-) my affinity for copying names, what exactly does that have to do with the points I made?

Do any of my habits make my points any less relevant? 

It makes your points hypocritical, because you seem to engage in the very same practices you despise.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Looks promising; like'n the additional story. Graphics look nice too. Can't wait to get my hands on this game!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

wailing caves sounds unique

-- yet both WOW and EQ2 launched w a dungeon named that their launch year