Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Funding Goal Reached

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by MidBoss

2~ years of the most ridiculous hype cult I've ever seen.

Might be time to go back into MMO news blackout.

Not ridiculous at all once you take a second to realize that these people are starving for an MMO. Hardcore MMORPG veterans have not had a big name veteran/company make a game for them in 9 years.

How would you be if for 9 years you watched your favorite genre crumble to ruin?

If this was the mmo that they are looking for with the team behind then I truely feel sorry for the future of this genre.  Everything about this project reeks of mediocrity imo.  From the lack of no PvE to the rushed focus to crowd source a product with no tech demo involved.

Good luck I suppose, game may see light of day in 2-3 years until then what are you going to do?  Continue your incessent raging against anything considerded popular or mainstream?

Are you..trolling?

There is PvE, as well as many other things in the game. And you can't develop a game before you get funding for it. They produced a working prototype in like, 8 days.

There is NPC guards and NPC merchant and monsters and animals and dungeons and The Depths and boss mobs guarding crafting materials but there is no PvE questing good, modern questing is a terrible mechanic and the worst way to tell a story in an MMO, leveling so? or traditional PvE systems that doesn't mean anything.  The thing that ALL RPG's are built upon!!!!!!  While I enjoy RvR the most out of the 3 typical MMO PvP designs ( others being FFA & Instanced BG) having a game based entirely on PvP is not something I want to play.

That's fine, but calling it mediocre just because they cut out the worst part of MMOs is stupid.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Mark Jacobs should have been a used car salesman.

Anyways, here's to hoping Kickstarter goes back to allowing projects to become real when they otherwise wouldn't, and hoping that this dark day in ethical game development hasn't set a precedent.

Enjoy the next few years, and maybe your hopes will come true.  Not that there's any guarantee they will, of course.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Anyways, here's to hoping Kickstarter goes back to allowing projects to become real when they otherwise wouldn't, and hoping that this dark day in ethical game development hasn't set a precedent.

Enjoy the next few years, and maybe your hopes will come true.  Not that there's any guarantee they will, of course.

QFT

Steam: Neph

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Very well said..  If this becomes the new standard, I'm out.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Not ridiculous at all once you take a second to realize that these people are starving for an MMO. Hardcore MMORPG veterans have not had a big name veteran/company make a game for them in 9 years.

How would you be if for 9 years you watched your favorite genre crumble to ruin?

If this was the mmo that they are looking for with the team behind then I truely feel sorry for the future of this genre.  Everything about this project reeks of mediocrity imo.  From the lack of no PvE to the rushed focus to crowd source a product with no tech demo involved.

Good luck I suppose, game may see light of day in 2-3 years until then what are you going to do?  Continue your incessent raging against anything considerded popular or mainstream?

Are you..trolling?

There is PvE, as well as many other things in the game. And you can't develop a game before you get funding for it. They produced a working prototype in like, 8 days.

There is NPC guards and NPC merchant and monsters and animals and dungeons and The Depths and boss mobs guarding crafting materials but there is no PvE questing good, modern questing is a terrible mechanic and the worst way to tell a story in an MMO, leveling so? or traditional PvE systems that doesn't mean anything.  The thing that ALL RPG's are built upon!!!!!!  While I enjoy RvR the most out of the 3 typical MMO PvP designs ( others being FFA & Instanced BG) having a game based entirely on PvP is not something I want to play.

That's fine, but calling it mediocre just because they cut out the worst part of MMOs is stupid.

Your worst parts are my most favorite parts.  I have always said the PvP systems of an MMO are more along the lines of Additional Content.  Nothing to really build your game upon, especially as an mmoRPG.  Building your game upon 1 aspect and 1 aspect alone is the realm of FPS'ers and MOBA's.  In fact I would love to see this title not even get recognition on this site, because its nothing more then a persistent MOBA.

To each their own though and grats on having a funded game.  Sadly and according to MJ's wishes this will be perhaps the msot niche game in modern MMO history, I see 14 year old subscription games with more subscribers then what this will ever get.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

If the MMO community as a whole was starving you would have seen 2 million quickly and much more than 13k backers. There is a select group of players interested in this game, that much is certain.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

QFT

Look on the bright side. They'll get their own dedicated forums away from MMORPG.com That alone is worth the 2 mil.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

While I didn't donate much, and lets be honest may have lost some hope in the last 48 hours that this would get funded, I'm glad to see this make its goal and a stretch goal so far. I hope this turns out how everyone hopes it will.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Gratz to CSE and Mark Jacobs!

Good luck to all the fans too.

It will be interesting to see how this one develops and I will watch with interest.

Lot of promises made so far... and it looks like there are large parts of the game already 'sold' - Mountain Houses, Lighthouses, Inns and even Islands... so it will be interesting to see how this all fits in in the end.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

QFT

Haha what? Where are all these troll accounts coming from?

Kickstarter is the only reason this game is being made. There was nothing different between this project, and Wasteland's Kickstarter, except that THIS project had much more to show than Wasteland did.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Gratz all, while I won't back it still, I would like to say grats, not an easy number to reach on such a unique game. Maybe in two years I will check it out. Gratz! again ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Bah I am dissappinted - happy for the avid fanboys that have taken over this site for the last month, but sad cus this just mean we'll see more people with the more than enough funds to create a game use kickstarter instead, kickstarter is now nothing but big pot of free money rather than a platform to support struggling developers.  

R.I.P < 06.02.2013 > Kickstarter

• LordMatsuLordMatsu Member Posts: 12
    I feel disregarding PvE alltogether will be more detrimental than better.  But we'll see about a year after it's released and see how they're holding up. 
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Are you..trolling?

There is NPC guards and NPC merchant but there is no PvE questing, leveling or traditional PvE systems.  The thing that ALL RPG's are built upon!!!!!!  While I enjoy RvR the most out of the 3 typical MMO PvP designs ( others being FFA & Instanced BG) having a game based entirely on PvP is not something I want to play.

Progression is based off pvp yes.. but there will be PVE.. they have have quests attached to them as well but you wont get xp jsut items used for crafting and so on..

Anyway yes this game is not for everyone, its a niche game and MJ knew this from the start. I like the sound of waht the guy is saynig.. Now we just have to wait hehe.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by expresso

Bah I am dissappinted - happy for the avid fanboys that have taken over this site for the last month, but sad cus this just mean we'll see more people with the more than enough funds to create a game use kickstarter instead, kickstarter is now nothing but big pot of free money rather than a platform to support struggling developers.  

What how is that the case?

STE are a new company with very little money.. Kickstarter is perfect for that type of company and I believe what its there for, to help kickstart new companies and their projects.

Sure MJ might have a bit of capital himself and he is putting money into the game but thats not the point.

STE is a new indie company and kickstarter was the perfect option for them, no AAA publisher would even look twice at this type of game.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Hello,

I agree with this statement, very disappointing and a sad day for the reputation and spirit behind Kickstarter.

Cheers

DocB

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Hello,

I agree with this statement, very disappointing and a sad day for the reputation and spirit behind Kickstarter.

Cheers

DocB

These statements are pretty stupid.

Kickstarter is there for all to use, its up to the community to decide what to back and what not to back. The people decide, there really is no one to blame or point fingers at. just enjoy all the (hopefullt) good games we are getting because of kickstarter that would otherwise probably not have seen the light of day.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Where were all the rip kickstarter posts when for example

Wasteland
    Star citizen
    Elite 4
    The Planescape sequel

Etc... were doing the rounds.
    All established titles being built by millionaires

Oh yeah that's right mmorpg.com hypocrisy strikes again, its only rip ls when its for a mmo that isn't if the sort you like.

Be interesting to see if we get "haleluja kick starter born again" threads from the sake people if say someone kick starts a spiritual successor to swg.
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

Hello,

Cheers

DocB

Kickstarter is there for all to use, its up to the community to decide what to back and what not to back. The people decide, there really is no one to blame or point fingers at. just enjoy all the (hopefullt) good games we are getting because of kickstarter that would otherwise probably not have seen the light of day.

No, these statements are perfectly right.

Kickstarter was supposed for people who have no money for their project, and they used to worked hard towards a prototype BEFORE starting a campaign.

This project creator has money and no prototype, plus spamming methods making it look like a viral project.

RIP Kickstarter indeed

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Where were all the rip kickstarter posts when for example

Wasteland
    Star citizen
    Elite 4
    The Planescape sequel

Etc... were doing the rounds.
    All established titles being built by millionaires

Oh yeah that's right mmorpg.com hypocrisy strikes again, its only rip ls when its for a mmo that isn't if the sort you like.

Be interesting to see if we get "haleluja kick starter born again" threads from the sake people if say someone kick starts a spiritual successor to swg.

the hypcrisy is in your post, those projects had gameplay to show and were at development stage where they already put tons of money in.

You think that developement didn´t cost millions prior to the campaign?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrqhixmwXc

Chris Roberts is a man of honor, unlike others

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol elite 4 had gameplay to show?!?!
    Garriots new ultima game?

Will be watching these boards very closely just in case raph koster for instance does a kickstarter. See if any of the rip kickstarter people suddenly think kickstarter is great again.
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

Hello,

Cheers

DocB

No, these statements are perfectly right.

Kickstarter was supposed for people who have no money for their project, and they used to worked hard towards a prototype BEFORE starting a campaign.

This project creator has money and no prototype, plus spamming methods making it look like a viral project.

RIP Kickstarter indeed

Where is this stated? Or is this merely your own perception of the function kickstarter serves?

As I said, Kickstarter is there for anyone to put up their project, it is then for the community to decide wheter or not that project should be funded.

Please dont try and act like some moral defender of kickstarter, it is purely driven by peoples own choices and therefore such sillyness is not needed.

Just be happy we are getting the games people want. I am yet to see any negative affect of kickstarter and the games being funded.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Will be watching these boards very closely just in case raph koster for instance does a kickstarter. See if any of the rip kickstarter people suddenly think kickstarter is great again.

I only wish Raph would get some of the old crew together again and come out with something.

"lol" ?

yes, they had gameplay to show.

Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw

Shroud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWgCjaqh8tw

show me a similar video from CU? Did I miss it?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Gents, news articles trump threads.  There are forum posts tied to news articles, not the other way around.  :)  

Thanks for the clarification Bill and Aerowyn, I think this is a case where i typed first and thought it out afterwards, my apologies.

No worries.  This news and features part of the forum is exclusively for threads tied to articles.  And yes, we often get our tips from you guys.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.