Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My indepth opinion about Neverwinter

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Character customization not existing
  • Way too many zones
  • Linear map design "Ohh I'm allowed to jump over this rock, but the entire map is surrounded by walls I can not get up"
  • Repetitive combat due to...
  • Skills to use you can count on one hand - and this is the main thing, it is SO dulling! You really dont need a brain to play this game. Dodge the markers on the ground and spam away yer skills! ...
  • THE FOUNDRY!! ... ENDLESS CONTENT!!! .... yeah, no thanks.

I cant believe people actually "endure" such a torture until lvl 60. I gave up after getting 3 chars to max lvl 15...

and please spare me with "It's getting much better later on, enjoy the pain." No I dont - and so shouldnt you. God, am I glad this game is F2P, no money for you cryptic.

I can NOT imagine such a game being released in 2013. The whole mechanics feel like 2008.........

PS: The amount of "..." are an indictator of my current "meh-status" after deinstalling the game.

Happy... , whatever you do :-) had to get this out of my system.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

I cant believe people actually "endure" such a torture until lvl 60.

I can NOT imagine such a game being released in 2013. The whole mechanics feel like 2008.........

aren't these your words?:

Pro-tip: If you really want to understand something, then you have to confront it from a neutral perspective. And NOT from a perspective that is so obviously defiled by what your "bad" experience where with games you have played.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Thanks for your opinion. image
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    KTHXBAI!!!
  • RaganaRagana Member Posts: 458
    Agree with you 100%

Veni, Vidi, Vici

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I agree to an extent , its merely a time filler for me for when im really really bored 
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I cant believe people actually "endure" such a torture until lvl 60.

aren't these your words?:

Pro-tip: If you really want to understand something, then you have to confront it from a neutral perspective. And NOT from a perspective that is so obviously defiled by what your "bad" experience where with games you have played.

Yes, and I already stated that I can not believe it. So I will (for the time of being) not believe it. To believe (to understand it) I must give myself the permission. We do this everyday, unconsciously and wonder why we dont understand things. So I'd better rephrase it to... maybe get the grasp of my inability to conceive:

I want to understand how people can endure such a game to 60, which is for me tough/chewy like an old chewing gum..

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones
    • Linear map design "Ohh I'm allowed to jump over this rock, but the entire map is surrounded by walls I can not get up"
    • Skills to use you can count on one hand - and this is the main thing, it is SO dulling! You really dont need a brain to play this game. Dodge the markers on the ground and spam away yer skills! ...

So, what game would you recommend, which has all of this things covered?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yes, and I already stated that I can not believe it. So I will (for the time of being) not believe it. To believe (to understand it) I must give myself the permission. We do this everyday, unconsciously and wonder why we dont understand things. So I'd better rephrase it to... maybe get the grasp of my inability to conceive:

I want to understand how people can endure such a game to 60, which is for me tough/chewy like an old chewing gum..

Well first you have to understand opinions differ, tastes differ and due to those two points experiences differ. Personally it's perfect for what my wife and I are looking for to play together, fast paced, dungeons that do not take forever to complete, works well on a design level for a duo.

WOuld I play this solo? no...

Would my guild play this? no.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones

these two things ? they are bad . . . . .i wish this was more a common thing what do you saying you want less content and less areas?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones

I cant believe people actually "endure" such a torture until lvl 60. I gave up after getting 3 chars to max lvl 15...

and please spare me with "It's getting much better later on, enjoy the pain." No I dont - and so shouldnt you. God, am I glad this game is F2P, no money for you cryptic.

PS: The amount of "..." are an indictator of my current "meh-status" after deinstalling the game.

Happy... , whatever you do :-) had to get this out of my system.

You might be looking at this game in the wrong way as i did, the way i look at now is pretty much a full 3D Daiblo and I came to really enjoy the game when i looked at it in that way, as for as the combat i love it, the attacks have a  real impact feeling and gets better as you level, the character progression is pretty deep and because the game is 3D Diablo-ish game we can see fast updates seeing as new maps shouldn't take long at all to create, also this game in a sense has more dungs. then WoW already because of the founders creations and in time will have thousands.

I have yet to create a dung myself but i am looking forward to make some kick ass dungs for players, i for the first time will be able to create what i deem hard and creative, so i can see myself spending alot of time making many dungs.

I must admit at first I didn't like it but as soon as i leveled a bit and took it as a full 3D dung crawler I fell in love, also at first i was iffy about the combat but as soon as i learn how to play the combat blew my mind, speaking from a Guardian I feel like a spartan the way the character plays.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Squeak69

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones

these two things ? they are bad . . . . .i wish this was more a common thing what do you saying you want less content and less areas?

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that myself. Way to many zones and endless content = bad? 

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    This game is awesome! Do we play same game? Character customization not existing???? Lol. Are you sure that you downloaded Neverwinter?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Squeak69

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones

Quuite literally the first time I have ever seen anyone complain of there being to much content in an MMO.  Literally makes me chuckle to read such things.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

"Indepth" just kidding:Character customization not existing Way too many zones Linear map design "Ohh I'm allowed to jump over this rock, but the entire map is surrounded by walls I can not get up" Repetitive combat due to... Skills to use you can count on one hand - and this is the main thing, it is SO dulling! You really dont need a brain to play this game. Dodge the markers on the ground and spam away yer skills! ... THE FOUNDRY!! ... ENDLESS CONTENT!!! .... yeah, no thanks. 
    and please spare me with "It's getting much better later on, enjoy the pain." No I dont - and so shouldnt you. God, am I glad this game is F2P, no money for you cryptic.I can NOT imagine such a game being released in 2013. The whole mechanics feel like 2008.........
    PS: The amount of "..." are an indictator of my current "meh-status" after deinstalling the game.Happy... , whatever you do :-) had to get this out of my system.

1. the "many zones" those are likely map areas divided into mob lvl range e.g. lvl 10 - 20, lvl 20-30; so you can pick a zone with monsters within your char lvl.
    2. char customization, when u roll a char there are QUITE a few feature options, like hair and face style/ colour, body types, sex. So your "not existing" is obviously incorrect.
    3. repetitive combat, the combat mechanics seems designed for xbox type controller instead of PC keyboard/mouse, so there are quite limited combat options, and the forced mouse view is frustrating for those used to 1st and 3rd person view, independent of char movement.
    Targeting is a pain, esp when 3 to 8 enemy are all closely clustered.
    4. foundry content, somewhat lessens the load for them to keep providing new content, and allows users to see what it is like to design their own missions.
    banking, one only gets a 16 slot bank, and bags for loot are minimal, atm no crafting ability to make extra bags, so saving loot is severly limited. Cryptic has decided to force bags into cash shop where one has to pay like us$7 to 10 to buy a single bag for a single char.
    Only two char slots per ftp account.
    Crafting is tedious and booring, one does not actually do crafting, you acquire helpers and they do the crafting on a timer, 10 min to 8 hours to do a single job; one at a time.
    Economy, loot sells for a few copper, buy to buy items in the auction house one has to use diamonds. Cryptic of course is utalizing a cash shop to allow people to pay rl$ for zen/diamonds.
    One can get about 8k diamonds a day simply using invoke skill, but not all of us have 24/7 to waste using that hourly skill to "get rich."
    There are only like 4 or 5 classes so the capacity for group dynamics is limited.

Client is about 3.7GB

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

instead try to play it as Diablo 2013 3d and its actually semi-decent game.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by PAL-18

instead try to play it as Diablo 2013 3d and its actually semi-decent game.

I know, right?  Why does everyone think all MMOs are supposed to be played the same?  Different ones need to be played with different mindsets.  I can only imagine the complaints (and in some cases, "reasons" for not playing) people will have for Phantasy Star Online 2.

"Not a sandbox MMO?  Not interested!"

"If you love boring linear instanced worlds with no chance of exploration, you will love this game.  Everyone else, stay away!"

"Erdegerd gaem hz you figt sam enemise over and ovr agian.  Stay ayaw!"

Why don't they realise that when games try to please everybody, they end up pleasing nobody?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

No one title will be for everyone. And that's ok.

OP didn't like it after he tried it.

Thanks for trying it out, and sorry you didn't enjoy your time in it.

As for me I love it. The customization is there, at character creation for appearances.

As for skill/spell customization as you get higher level you get points to put in different abilities.

I think the big issue is a lot of the WoW crowd comes into new titles looking for that same rush they got in WoW. You will never have the same rush as your first time ever again. No game can make you a mmorpg virgin again.

Being a mmorpg developer must be one of the worst jobs possible now. If your game isn't WoW enough people complain, and if it's too much like WoW people complain. That's why I personally ignore other people's opinions and try new titles for myself.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Margrave

No one title will be for everyone. And that's ok.

OP didn't like it after he tried it.

Thanks for trying it out, and sorry you didn't enjoy your time in it.

As for me I love it. The customization is there, at character creation for appearances.

As for skill/spell customization as you get higher level you get points to put in different abilities.

I think the big issue is a lot of the WoW crowd comes into new titles looking for that same rush they got in WoW. You will never have the same rush as your first time ever again. No game can make you a mmorpg virgin again.

Being a mmorpg developer must be one of the worst jobs possible now. If your game isn't WoW enough people complain, and if it's too much like WoW people complain. That's why I personally ignore other people's opinions and try new titles for myself.

very much agreed.. anyone should take anybodys comments here on any game with a grain of salt including mine:)

also for a free game there really is no reason to just try it yourself and see what you think

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691
    So you don't like D&D... got it.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

If it's so terrible why are you planning on coming back when there's more classes? Doesn't make sense does it. The game will not have changed by then there will still be the foundry, there will still be invis walls in certain places and you'll still have to level to 60 to max out your toons.

Keep in mind folks these guys delivered exactly what they said they would, there were no secretive agendas or post launch gameplay changes that devistated their playerbase, they were completely up front.

It's not like they claimed something like "we'll be making this title all about open world content and continue to focus on adding open world events because it's such a time saver and less costly then designing dungeons" and then just after launch change their 7 year promises and almost a year later start going to their publishers having them remove their interviews to cover their tracks.

• JDogg126JDogg126 Member UncommonPosts: 44

"Indepth" just kidding:

• Way too many zones

Your points are shallow and convey a clear lack of understanding of the product you are opinionating on.  What you should do, since you are such an expert at game design, is start your own studio and create your own game.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

As for using "Invoke" to get Rough AD's:

My first Invoke (the introductory quest) yielded around 1350 AD.

The second yielded 165 AD.

The third yielded 82 AD.

Does the amount increase according to your level ? I can't believe that Cryptic will allow L12 toons to generate 8K of AD per day just from the hourly Invoke...

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

for the obvious reason it reminds me of D&D Online, amost to the exent of a major expansion. 

It is entertaining for now, combat is entertaining... amost Diablo esc as you mow through mobs, treasure to find everywhere, and the graphics are nice, but sup-par for modern titles.  It should hold me over until EQnext and/or ESO.