Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR 2.1 - What We Know So Far

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

BioWare has released some details on Star Wars: The Old Republic's Game Update 2.1: Customization. We're rounding up what we've discovered so far and offering our thoughts in this week's SWTOR column.

The Cathar species is easily the most significant addition coming to SWTOR in Game Update 2.1. Cathar were unveiled all the way back at E3 2012 as the first new species to be added to Star Wars: The Old Republic. Like everything else revealed back at the show, the Cathar were slated for release some time in 2012, but we all know how that turned out. Of all the features and additions announced at last year’s E3, the Cathar remain the final piece of the puzzle to be added to the game.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Update 2.1 - What We Know So Far.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Looks like there is little to no chance at all of any other races then.  Look, swtors individual character stories were ok the first time, barely passable the second time, I sure as hell am not going to play through a third time just to play as a tertiary race in a game that doesn't even have the 1980s feature of different racial bonuses and penalties.
  • mattadams007mattadams007 Member Posts: 70
    Ya know it's prolly just me but I'd rather have classes over races for this game....  *2 cents*

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by mattadams007
    Ya know it's prolly just me but I'd rather have classes over races for this game....  *2 cents*

I'm the same way, in just about every game. I'd rather have more classes over races. I'm one of the few that could care less about what I look like unless there are trememdous differences in the abilities of the races themselves, not just cosmetic. 

There Is Always Hope!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

The only thing I don’t like about this update is that it seems to be primarily focused on Cartel purchases, I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come. Really I want to see updates in the future that don’t require additional cost to unlock or use patch features.

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

if they wanted to add wookie or something and say that its success would determine wether or not future races are made, that would have been one thing.  But instead they picked a race that even most star wars fans don't know and then try to pressure people into buying it?  stupid. 

And I'm familar with the reasons they gave not to give people the races they want- cutscenes, basic speach, companion romances-  Those were bad reasons to determine races then and worse now.  romances are a tiny tiny part of the game and I bet far more players spacebar than don't at this point.

the lack of some of the more notable alien races in swtor was always a big deal to me, but I wouldn't spend money on Cathar (which I didn't see that often in the most wanted races threads) just for a chance, with no details provided- how many players need to buy it?  whats next if its successful?  when will we see that next thing?

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by mattadams007

If adding a new race was very expensive for BioWare, I can't imagine what a new class would cost.  This game is only a year old and it's in full fledged maintenance mode.  ...Man, did they ever mess it up.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Yeah I'm not too incredibly high on any of this that I'm reading.  I have been kind of excited for the cathar and to this point can still stand to run through the stories again to play one but I feel like in general BW is making the same mistake that Blizzard did with me.

Too much of what they do with the game seems to assume that the players are excited to just churn through the exact same content over and over again, and while I readily admit I don't have the answer (I'm no dev after all) I still cant help but feeling that mmorpgs are just a more expensive and slightly graphically superior experience to all those lame facebook games like Mafa Wars.

Too many mmorpgs are simply releasing what amounts to "new trinkets" while largely expecting the player base to happily tread through old tired content with a new pink sword or in this case a "green cat skin".

Not all that concerned about the dyes as I am fine with the current matching system they have.

Maybe for me the truth was revealed to myself in an earlier part of my post and for me the mmorpg genre is dead, at this point I really don't find myself remotely entertained enough for the steady revenue and constant grind that mmorpgs require to be viable.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Just to point out the Cathar were more than likely started (if not almost done) in beta.  EA then finished it, but rather than include the race in the xpac they decided to squeeze their customers even more.  

Its amazing to me that people will put up and even defend what EA is doing just because its Star Wars.

Anyway keep in mind any further races, (which I doubt will ever be made) won't be anything more than humans with slight feature changes.

You will never see a Jawa or Wookie playable character race.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    EA are saying how expensive it was to create a new race and are still up in the air about doing it again if this one does not work out to well.  Well how much would it cost to create a new class and all the issues that would create ? if a race is almost to much could we never see a new class then ?

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Its probably costly only the first time adding a new race. I expect bw was also creating tools to streamline new faces and dimensions around the face to be easier to plug in with humanoid bodies with different skins/textures. Or at least i hope they did, since adding more races and encouraging alt-ing is a big draw to the strength of the game in the story while lvling.

They should also consider adding dynamic events which scale to any level. The reward can be tuned to the turn in quest for comms, or standard planetary comms. The reason for this is to make the universe feel more lively and have people travel out of the fleet.

The events take too long to happen and they are quest chains and different than a planet dynamic event. For example a planet like Alderaan has krilliks, and can have a dynamic event with bugs and a defense against them which involves building defenses, manning turrets, placing traps etc for defense and there could be different stages which are live/on-going situations, and could be random. So one time the defense is at a different location, attack at another location.

Or in a place like belsavis there could be a siege dynanic event with a prison break mechanic, and random bounties to collect.

Instead of developing more dailies, i believe they should do this, and make it so everyone is bolstered to lvl 55 standard and people with above standard gear at lvl 55 can have a slight advantage like 15% advantage tops and not something imbalanced like it already is in WZs.

The dynamic events could also be open world pvp with forts. Would be nice to have this and playing on an alt. Otherwise, its too familiar for a lot of people, and even though WoW was several years old to change with cataclysm, other games offer dynamic events like GW2 or wild star. It keeps things different and more interesting.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Like an earlier poster stated the game is in full on maitenance mode.  The stuff they're just releasing now has been known about since launch or shortly thereafter. Obviously it's pure conjecture but I've got a feeling there won't be any significant new content in the future.  I'm basically predicting a Warhammer situation here.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Its probably costly only the first time adding a new race. I expect bw was also creating tools to streamline new faces and dimensions around the face to be easirr to plug in with humanoid bodies with different skins/texturrs. Ot at least i hope they did, since adding more races and encouraging alt-ing is a big draw to the strength of the game in the story while lvling.

They should also consider adding dynamic events which scale to any level. The reward can be tuned to the tirn in quest for comms, or standard planetary comms. The reason for this is make the universe feel more lively and have people travel out of the fleet.

The events take too long to happen and they are quest chsjns abd different than a planet dynamic event. For example a planet like Alderaan has krilliks, and can have a dynamic event with bugs and a defense agajnst them which involves building defenses, manning turrets, placing traps etc for defense abd there coukd be different stages which are live situations, and could be random. So one time the defense is at a different location, attack at another location.

Or in a place like belsavis there could be a siege dynanic event with a prison break mechanic, and random bounties to collect.

Instead of developing more dailies, i believe they should do this, and make it so everyone is bolstered to lvl 55 standard amd people with above standard gear at lvl 55 can have a slught advantage like 15% advantage tops and not something imbalanced like it already is in WZs.

The dynamic events coukd also be open workd pvp with forts. Would be nice to have this and playing on an alt. Otherwise, uts too familiar fir a lot of people, and even though WiW was several years old to change with cataclysm, othrr games offer dynamic events like GW2 or wild star. It keeos tgings different and more interesting.

This would basically involve rewriting the entire game from the ground up.  Never going to happen.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Like an earlier poster stated the game is in full on maitenance mode.  The stuff they're just releasing now has been known about since launch or shortly thereafter. Obviously it's pure conjecture but I've got a feeling there won't be any significant new content in the future.  I'm basically predicting a Warhammer situation here.

If that is the case then i hope swtor at least adds tools to allow for player created content. They can easily tap into the creative potential of players and also allowing to build in the game is a fun way to play.

Player created content: mini games, wz's, maps for wz's, duel arena maps, racectracks, player housing and decoration. Of course the art and tools need to exist for players to use including a tournament/ladder mechanic and gambling.

At the end of the days it starwars. They can turn this around, but they just lack content and in some cases balance for pvp. For example now the stealth classes seem too good. Thats just terrible. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Its probably costly only the first time adding a new race. I expect bw was also creating tools to streamline new faces and dimensions around the face to be easirr to plug in with humanoid bodies with different skins/texturrs. Ot at least i hope they did, since adding more races and encouraging alt-ing is a big draw to the strength of the game in the story while lvling.

They should also consider adding dynamic events which scale to any level. The reward can be tuned to the tirn in quest for comms, or standard planetary comms. The reason for this is make the universe feel more lively and have people travel out of the fleet.

The events take too long to happen and they are quest chsjns abd different than a planet dynamic event. For example a planet like Alderaan has krilliks, and can have a dynamic event with bugs and a defense agajnst them which involves building defenses, manning turrets, placing traps etc for defense abd there coukd be different stages which are live situations, and could be random. So one time the defense is at a different location, attack at another location.

Instead of developing more dailies, i believe they should do this, and make it so everyone is bolstered to lvl 55 standard amd people with above standard gear at lvl 55 can have a slught advantage like 15% advantage tops and not something imbalanced like it already is in WZs.

The dynamic events coukd also be open workd pvp with forts. Would be nice to have this and playing on an alt. Otherwise, uts too familiar fir a lot of people, and even though WiW was several years old to change with cataclysm, othrr games offer dynamic events like GW2 or wild star. It keeos tgings different and more interesting.

This would basically involve rewriting the entire game from the ground up.  Never going to happen.

Not at all. When they add events, they are not re writing the game from the ground up. Its an event but the npcs are active, with extra mechanics and stages. So its like being on an RP server and people agreeing to meet in an area and orchestrate a live event. A person/director of the RP might decide that after this battle the story takes them to the next point. While RP can be fun, people dont pay top dollar to sit in an open space and create content without any tools. So it would be like an rp situation and event combined and a reoccurring one.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    The only cool thing I see is the dye system.  Which I assume means even subbers have to pay for the non garbage colors.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Swanea
    The only cool thing I see is the dye system.  Which I assume means even subbers have to pay for the non garbage colors.

Not necessary. About 20 dyes will be available from crafting (Artifice), about the same amount from Cartel Marker (subscribers will have a big discount on these) and I think 3 dyes will be avaliable from security vendor and from CE vendor. There are 48 dyes based on Dulfy's post.

Schematics will be available from reputation vendors.

The question of course is if the dyes made by crafter will be more  interesting :) than CC. I bet though that all dyes will be available on GTN LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The Cathar Bioware is doing are not "cat-like". If they were, they would have feline ears, a tail, and anthropomorphic legs which they have none of the above.

The Cathar in SWTOR have a Gene Simmons-style painted face and that's it.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Only thing I wonder is how much it'll cost F2Pers to enjoy any of that. I'll bet a low of $10 with a high of $20
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    This is really bad, I would be much happier if they had chosen to introduce new classes. A new class or two would have been a nice shot in the arm for the game, but this? No thanks. 
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

just out of curiosity, how much $$ is 600 Cartel Coins?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• dasnozdasnoz Member Posts: 1
    600 cartel coins is like $6 usd
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    This is really bad, I would be much happier if they had chosen to introduce new classes. A new class or two would have been a nice shot in the arm for the game, but this? No thanks. 

True new classes would require new 1-50 class story lines, which would likely make them far more expensive than a new race...  if they're complaining about the cost of a new race I can't imagine them ever adding a new class.  It would also make pvp and pve more challenging to balance.

• BoumaBouma Member UncommonPosts: 3

I am not a big fan of Cathar race. Like many mention, they choose the wrong race to test the market. I would have even prefered a JAWA over a Cathar. I also think, Classes over Races would have been much better to offer. With the choice of 8 Classes, which are actually clone from one side to another, offering new species, will only make the player wondering, if he/she should start another character for the ... 3rd time or switch race on the kiosk. Some people will simply not go for it.

Having special dye colors on the Cartel market? i wonder which colors will there be. Not sure people will be happy to, HAVE TO PAY for their favorite color. They might do, but not make them happy about it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by MyBoot
    EA are saying how expensive it was to create a new race and are still up in the air about doing it again if this one does not work out to well.  Well how much would it cost to create a new class and all the issues that would create ? if a race is almost to much could we never see a new class then ?

It's a joke and outright lie. What EA does best. Blow things up for Marketing purposes.

How much does it cost to change a facial skin and label it as a new race?

The entire body stays humanoid, so they don't have to do anything about clothing/armor.

That's why you won't see any "REAL" races coming in, like Wookie or Jawa. As that actually does require a lot of work.

• vadess40vadess40 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Wow... Didn't take long for a couple of complainers to voice their opinion... Makes me wish they'd pass a bit of the free time they have on their hands over to me as I could use some- not to troll around a game I don't like, mind you, but a few spare minutes would be nice. That being said, I'm gonna enjoy the customization features. As an RP-er, my human juggernaut has been through quite a few battles. It would make sense if she ended up with cybernetic implants due to this. Also, it would be cool to change some of characters' species, like my trooper to a chiss or my zabrak assassin to a pureblood and that sort of thing.