Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried SWTOR, LOTRO... why can't anything match up to WoW?

2»

Comments

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42
    As far as I'm concerned it ruined a beloved genre. Having beta tested EQ1 and beta tested UO so long ago, when WoW hit and people started actually believing it was the first MMO ever and the be all end all and the originator, the road went downhill from there. A select few remember the Realm, Meridian 59, vanilla DAOC and of course SWG pre everything. It was a beautiful time, then came WoW and every developer  afterwards tried to copy WoW ( Sony Included) or make their already awesome games WoW like to capitalize on the popularity and that 11 million subscriber mystique. So many deluded people think WoW was the first MMO ever made..it's pathetic. Vets know better and if we're lucky we find remnants of what made MMO's glorious back in the mid 90s. But it's forever changed..make no mistake. Not for the better either.
  • Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Have you tried Age of Conan or The Secret World both are themepark MMO's but bring some new ideas into their games to make them abit more refreshing. 

AoC provides quality storytelling and visuals to match. questing is standard and you can level using dungeons and pvp as well. What separates this from the other themeparks is the classes you can play as and the combat. It has at least 5 class types that you wont find in another game providing diffrent ways to play.

Now the combat is where its diffrent instead of having a basic auto attack, you get 5 directional attacks. One way these attacks are used is to hit a mob/players weak point which will be shown as one of 3 directions, in pvp your opponent may change these weak points to counter your attacks. Another way they can be used is to enhance your other abilities or create combo attacks. i found the above system very refreshing from the typical combat sytems in most themepark mmo's

As well as the combat system AoC has massive mounted siegewarfare, guild cities and is factionless making it all against all on a pvp server.

TSW is BtP but im sure to you could get a trial from somewhere. Again the setting and story for this game are great but its the no classes and 500+ mixable abilities that make the diffrence for this game to other themepark mmo's.

Ide suggest looking into both if you want something that feels familiar but has enough new things to make them stand out.

• patek5patek5 Member Posts: 7

Okay so I think we have gotten a little off topic but if anyone is starting to read the thread here instead of the beginning, a few things have been acknowledged. First, nothing will be the same thing as wow and that I have to look for something else I enjoy. Regarless how much people like it or not there just isn't an identical type of game I will like as much as it.

I have decided to consider a few games, starting with EVE, FFXI, and then GW2, maybe RIFT.

I played wow with minimal lag on the average graphics setting, but when it came to SWTOR and LOTRO, I had to play on very low to get past constant lag spikes, so it's just small ones; and jumpy gameplay.

Can I play all 4 of those with my system?

If so, which would you reccomend? I really think that the EVE concept looks dope as f**k, and GW2 I think has a great game to resemble wow but be more mature and whatnot, but may just let me down like SWTOR and LOTRO.

THANK YOU, ppl.

• bonehedbonehed Member UncommonPosts: 15
    You should really try a game that doesn't hold your hand all the way through the game like WoW does. You can practically log in, join an LFR and receive gear without putting much effort. SWTOR and LOTRO have great graphcis and story but they both have their issues, SWTOR has major issues such as bugs. Try TERA or EQ or wait for Wildstar.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Some games that play very differently than WoW:

EVE, GW2, TSW, Rift  

Skyrim is a great single player game that also might be a nice break.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Guild wars 2 and get In a good guild. Or possibly age of Conan.  Both games will offer you amazing worlds with alot of depth. They also have alot of variation to what you have seen in WOW.  Remember get in a good guild in any game you try.

Er... Age of Conan is almost a copy pasted WoW clone. There is very VERY little there that's different.

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by sexypanda198
    SWTOR graphics Bad......and you want mmo with WoW depth......your so screwed that kind mmo dont exist least not yet. SWTOR has one the best graphics so if you consider that bad your in real pickle buddy. LOTRO on ultra as well plus lotro has one the best in depth stories in the mmo market.

This post blew my mind. 

I've heard people defend swtor's graphics as not terrible... but to actual call it one of the best...  I thought it looked almost 10 years out of date when it launched...  I guess graphics are largely a matter of personal taste...

In the same sentence he said WoW had depth.

WoW has the depth of a water droplet. Good god people, get some perspective before making statements like this. WOW is the most casual MMO out there.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Havok77
    Originally posted by lolunatic
    WoW= Waiting on Wildstar

I remember when it was Waiting on Warhammer.

Yeah, first thing I thought as well. :)

Though, for people who do like WoW but are just tired of the particular gameworld, doing the same zones and dungeons and seeing the same type of mobs and PCs over and over again, I think WildStar will be a solid choice. It seems to go for character and smooth and varied gameplay.

Until that, though, the OP is a bit out of luck, though Rift might be a choice if one hasn't tried it (it's not F2P, but it's got a trial if I remember correctly)...

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

Originally posted by akiira69

Originally posted by jesteralways

did you really read my post? i wrote 3 games name in that, did you get that? i will repost for you here : 
    if cryptic was the publisher of the game i would say "right on, i am going to rock neverwinter", but it is PWE so yeah "screw that"{Publishers arent developers nor do they have a say on the development of the game}. and if you think PWI(PWE's 1st ever mmo and also 1st pay2win mmo in USA), Champions Online(after PWE got hand on them) STO(same criteria) and the rest of their games are worth paying for then i understand why you are dreaming of an awesome neverwinter. as for me, i use logic and calculation and evidence; i don't need a crystal ball or some stupid as reviewer to tell me that a game published by PWE is worth paying for or worth playing. but hey, i just provided an honest advice you are free to ignore it or bash it.
    Do yourself a favor and stop mistaking opinions as facts and logic for it is neither.
    do yourself a favor and don't ever write it anywhere else that publishers don't have any say in game development because that is plain ignorant. your ignorance and naivete is astonishing. if you ever worked in game development then you would know that the chief of staffdevelopment manager is always a person appointed by publisher, this person dictates how the game should be presented as a successful "business product". don't write crap about something you are not involved with.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by starstar1 You can check Neverwinter out. I am also a long time WOW junkie that is trying to move on lol. So far Neverwinter is nice, though not as fluid or polished yet (open beta).  But it is different in some ways. Cash shop is expensive, but not needed.  It just released in open beta today, so the queues are way overboard -  was way far back in queue so I'd wait a few days. I was playing Skyrim of late since I was having trouble finding the "right" game to play. I played LOTRO, SWTOR, GW2, plus some others for bits and pieces.   Good luck! :)
    Neverwinter will never be as fluid and polished as WoW, i can 500% guarantee you on that. unless you waste shit load of money in that game and feel inside "i spent shit load of money in here, i should stick around" ,within 3 months you will feel "i have had enough with these PWE bastards".  word of advice : stay away from PWE games. 

while I'm agree that f2p games can be money trap, I must admit, Forsaken World from PWE games, can easily be played for free.

I tried a lot of f2p and in some point, they asking you to pay for. Some are fair (like 10-15$ per month), some are just gambling you. That why you need to look carefully and find out how to make ingame money, if it possible, and not to pay or pay very few (as for more you can play WoW).

I dislike f2p making hard time for you if you don't pay, like no mount, no tele, no world chat etc. If game is such, and I can name many of them, even A+++, I just move to next one.

In Forsaken World, which is WoW-like + better char looking, IMO, you can make money and not feel your progress stopped or being unable to do anything, if you don't pay.
    One exception though: you'll fail PvP if you not CS, so or take it as fun, or avoid PvP, or use cash shop.

I have not yet tried NW, but may be it done same way and you can earn ingame money.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by patek5
    I'm trying to find a game that I can get addicted to like wow, and I decided that the 2 F2P's that are most popular would be a good start. I even got into SWTOR and decided to pay for a month of it but the quality of the game and the graphics, fluidity, and bugs, are all too bad for me to even consider staying with it. Things are too logistically complex to make sense, and I'm not just some wrath or cata WoW player. 

I started playing wow at the end of vanilla and have always loved it, quitting a few times and then coming back, but now that I have played every class to at least 80 I am getting pretty sick of it.(Minus a warlock... which I may just decide to try)

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

I can't find something that I love as much as I did with wow, no community, or anything that I did before. It's kinda driving me crazy but it's not working out, I can't find anything. Anyone wanna help?

I always love good communities, fluid games, solid gameplay. Those come with a lot of these games but I'm having a hard time finding all of them together like I did with wow. Although, wow is getting old. Battle pets, countless new things and simplicity that has been forced into anyone that is experienced in the games hands.

Any suggestions, things to read up on, or advice, would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, any of you having this same problem?

because vanilla wow was challenging. because it was actually possible to not finish a dungeon once in a while. you got attached to your characters because the effort you spent and the people you met ended up meaning more than just a few badges and a purple icon.

there is nothing you can do, mmos are now for everyone and their dog, just not gamers.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    WoW= Waiting on Wildstar

That's excellent.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by patek5
    I'm trying to find a game that I can get addicted to like wow, and I decided that the 2 F2P's that are most popular would be a good start. I even got into SWTOR and decided to pay for a month of it but the quality of the game and the graphics, fluidity, and bugs, are all too bad for me to even consider staying with it. Things are too logistically complex to make sense, and I'm not just some wrath or cata WoW player. 

I started playing wow at the end of vanilla and have always loved it, quitting a few times and then coming back, but now that I have played every class to at least 80 I am getting pretty sick of it.(Minus a warlock... which I may just decide to try)

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

I can't find something that I love as much as I did with wow, no community, or anything that I did before. It's kinda driving me crazy but it's not working out, I can't find anything. Anyone wanna help?

I always love good communities, fluid games, solid gameplay. Those come with a lot of these games but I'm having a hard time finding all of them together like I did with wow. Although, wow is getting old. Battle pets, countless new things and simplicity that has been forced into anyone that is experienced in the games hands.

Any suggestions, things to read up on, or advice, would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, any of you having this same problem?

because vanilla wow was challenging.

haha, jesus christ, no it wasn't. Not even close. It was the most casual game on the market when it launched. The gameplay/combat mechanics were simple, no penalty, no risk vs reward, everything held your hand and made sure you could not screw up.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Originally posted by azmundai  

Originally posted by patek5 I'm trying to find a game that I can get addicted to like wow, and I decided that the 2 F2P's that are most popular would be a good start. I even got into SWTOR and decided to pay for a month of it but the quality of the game and the graphics, fluidity, and bugs, are all too bad for me to even consider staying with it. Things are too logistically complex to make sense, and I'm not just some wrath or cata WoW player.    I started playing wow at the end of vanilla and have always loved it, quitting a few times and then coming back, but now that I have played every class to at least 80 I am getting pretty sick of it.(Minus a warlock... which I may just decide to try)   WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! I can't find something that I love as much as I did with wow, no community, or anything that I did before. It's kinda driving me crazy but it's not working out, I can't find anything. Anyone wanna help? I always love good communities, fluid games, solid gameplay. Those come with a lot of these games but I'm having a hard time finding all of them together like I did with wow. Although, wow is getting old. Battle pets, countless new things and simplicity that has been forced into anyone that is experienced in the games hands.   Any suggestions, things to read up on, or advice, would be greatly appreciated.  Also, any of you having this same problem?
      because vanilla wow was challenging.
    haha, jesus christ, no it wasn't. Not even close. It was the most casual game on the market when it launched. The gameplay/combat mechanics were simple, no penalty, no risk vs reward, everything held your hand and made sure you could not screw up.
    yes yes yes ... we all know things were harder before wow ... wow was still much more challenging back then than anything since, except VG I guess. the OP started with wow and wonders why mmos are boring now. if he had started with meridian your point might have meant something to him but since he started with wow, what would be the point of bringing up something he never played?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• maggus54maggus54 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Regarding Cryptic / PWE:

Cryptic is wholly owned by PWE, just like Bioware is by EA. It's very safe to assume that PWE is heavily tied-into game design and management decisions at Cryptic.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by sexypanda198
    SWTOR graphics Bad......and you want mmo with WoW depth......your so screwed that kind mmo dont exist least not yet. SWTOR has one the best graphics so if you consider that bad your in real pickle buddy. LOTRO on ultra as well plus lotro has one the best in depth stories in the mmo market.

This post blew my mind. 

I've heard people defend swtor's graphics as not terrible... but to actual call it one of the best...  I thought it looked almost 10 years out of date when it launched...  I guess graphics are largely a matter of personal taste...

Nah, it has nothing to do with personal taste. SWTOR's graphics and engine are both honestly one of the worst in the industry.

Smile

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    WoW is the king of themeparks.... No question about it.

• Nova700Nova700 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    WoW= Waiting on Wildstar

^ this x10000

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I agree with the poster who said play something very different from WoW. That, or play a single player game or two or three, etc for a while. If you get the urge to come back to WoW, roll a toon on a new server, with a new class and possibly of the opposite faction.

If you're just going to play games similar to WoW, you probably won't find anything, and you will just end up asking yourself, why am I not playing WoW? WoW is what it is, and it's pretty good at doing it.

• QullexQullex Member Posts: 12

Since your system seems to be one of your constraints and you are willing to try something completely different from WoW (Eve) and these have not been mentioned as I write this:

• Everquest II - theampark, EQ1 is still up too if you want to go older school
    • DDO - heavily instanced, roll character using D&D rules and run around doing missions
    • Vanguard - sandboxy 
    • Vendetta Online - space flight sim (think old Wing Commander)
    • Path of Exile - Diablo like game with very limited character appearance customization, not very MMO unless you want to run with someone
    • Darkfall: Unholy Wars - sandbox, open world PVP full loot (I am hoping its not too resrurce intensive, but no idea if it is well optimized)
    • Ultima Online - Its still around
    • Runescape - play in browser
    • Saga of Ryzom - quircky sci-fi/fantasy mix
    Full discolosure: I don't currently play any of these. :) But I hope it gives you some ideas.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Give Rift a try.

It is along the lines of WoW in that it is highly PvE oriented with an emphasis on endgame and it has a lot of content, polish and features. It is very robust. I won't say it is better than WoW because that depends too much on preference but it should be good enough to keep you interested for a while. Especially if you are more or less looking for something that is like WoW but isn't WoW.

All die, so die well.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

VengeSunsoar's advice to try something radically different has merit. If you want something different with a free trial, try The Secret World. It has great storytelling and questing is different enough to spin your head around a bit.

And if you want something you can easily jump into because you know WoW, try Rift. It's a WoW clone for sure but it has deep talent trees (72 points for a level 60), the ability to have six specs instead of two, and housing.