Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter vs GW2 which is better?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
So which of these 2 games is better? Which one has better story? Better combat? Better world? Also which one do you think will offer more depth and longer playability? Thanks and lets try to keep it civil.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i play both games and honestly they are just way two differen't to compare.. gw2 easily has a much more polished feel but again aside from both being themeparks its hard for me to make comparisons.. 

longevity is really so hard to say because what one person finds fun for lengthy amounts of time others will not..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

is this a serious thread?

On the off chance it is, Neverwinter is free.  Go play it and see if you like it.

GW2 is not free but they have free weekends.  You could always wait for one to try it out.  Otherwise, if you enjoy Neverwinter then you're pretty set.

If you're a longtime MMO fan you'll not have problems deciding.

From the time i spent playing Neverwinter so far, it absolutely has that perfect world international feel.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    You already know the answer to that question : GW2. and i don't think you should compare between the two as GW2 is an open world MMO(a proper mmo) where Neverwinter is a dungeon crwaler pseudo MMO. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I play GW2, so that makes it better.  I know that may seem a little obnoxious, but it's the truth. I'm freaking awesomesauce.

But don't worry, I'll probably be trying out Neverwinter when the queue's die down a bit.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I play GW2, so that makes it better.  I know that may seem a little obnoxious, but it's the truth. I'm freaking awesomesauce.

But don't worry, I'll probably be trying out Neverwinter when the queue's die down a bit.

no que for me tonight.. not sure if there is one now but i got on no que at all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Guild Wars 2 is more polished and innovative. It's really not even a contest, even if Neverwinter does offer the foundry feature. 
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    So far there are more points even if they have been vague ones for GW2. But what about the points i aisles about. I figure that most th neverwinter fans are probably busy tonight.
  • NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

No queue for me either since the maintenance.

It's a nice change from waiting an hour after I log in to be able to play.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

GW2 easily. I like Neverwinter for the simple and small, hack and slash dungeon crawler it is, but there just isn't comparing the two. GW2 is massive and deep, Neverwinter is small and simple ( but that doesn't mean it's bad). Everything Neverwinter does (PVE, PVP, story telling, crafting, etc.), GW2 does it too, and in most cases GW2 does it better.

The only things I like more about Neverwinter than GW2: playable dwarf race, and more defined trinity-type roles. Beyond that, GW2 is the clear winner for me.

Oh yeah, Neverwinter has the foundry. If you're in to player made content, then that's for you!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I also came here to ask whether or not this was a serios thread, but it seems several others already beat me to it.  Although there are few direct comparisons to be made because the games are so different, GW2's quality and complete product has to make it the undisputed overall winner.  

That, of course, doesn't make it impossible for someone to personally dislike GW2 and like Neverwinter.  Subjective experiences will certainly vary.  But the overall, unbiased, objective ratings have to give the rather drastic edge to GW2.  

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

No queue for me either since the maintenance.

It's a nice change from waiting an hour after I log in to be able to play.

good to know. I guess the only thing holding me back now is wanting to replace my mobo and reinstall before installing anything else. I guess I know what I'll be doing  this weekend.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

In terms of better I'd vote GW2. It's a far more polished game, and Neverwinter feels like your standard "free" game. 

As for combat, they're both fairly active but Neverwinter has trinity, GW2 doesn't. It has a different system along the lines of dmg/support/control. Not really sure how to explain it. If you're a healer fan, GW2 is gonna make you sad. I love playing support/healers so I feel very lonely and out of place in GW2. Which brings me to the next point. Do you prefer to group or are you more solo minded. If you really like group content then Neverwinter to me is better. I recently hit 80 in GW2 and haven't the slightest where to start for dungeons or how to even get a group as there is no group finding tool. Except a website I guess? GW2 you can play without ever grouping honestly. 

Better world I pick GW2 without a doubt. Maybe a little biased since I played GW1 for a month and fell in love with their lore/story. GW2 Is ok in terms of story, far more interactive than Neverwinter from what I recall of Neverwinter beta. In Neverwinter you got a quest and ran to the next quest, except they're voiced! Exciting... GW2 has a sort of cutscene setup and anything you do is far more related to the story. It's instanced. The world in GW2 is also beautiful, freaking love it. I hated how hollow Neverwinter felt, scale feels much smaller.

Your final question depends on you really. For the box price I really feel GW2 offers a ton of content. Neverwinters free and in open beta so you can always just go try it. I personally don't like either game, believe it or not. I just have nothing else to play. I picked GW2 over Neverwinter because I have feels that Cryptics gonna slowly make it P2W. Hated the animations and character design as well, Elves were so derpy looking. I honestly feel you can't beat the GW2 community either. Trash talk the game all you please, the people here are amazingly kind and helpful. That's prolly another reason I've chosen to stay. Sadly I still feel alone despite working together with people. There's no reason to group unless you're doing dungeons. 

Sorry if this isn't all that helpful, I've played GW2 far more than Neverwinter, was only in beta for Neverwinter.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    GW2 by far. NW does well uh literally 1 thing better(dungeons), everything else is worse or can't copare as NW lacks it.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123
    GW2 by far. NW does well uh literally 1 thing better(dungeons), everything else is worse or can't copare as NW lacks it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I think the poster above you had good points. If you like the trinity and group content then Neverwinter may be a better game for you. I think that is true. The soft grouping mechanics in GW2 isn't the "group" experience a lot of people look for and a lot of people are turned off by the combat in GW2. The lack of defined roles in the traditional sense can be a real turnoff for some people.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I like strawberry more than vanilla. Chocolate sucks.

Subjective subject is subjective. Try both :D

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    seeing how neverwinter is made by cryptic. GW2 is better..
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I think the poster above you had good points. If you like the trinity and group content then Neverwinter may be a better game for you. I think that is true. The soft grouping mechanics in GW2 isn't the "group" experience a lot of people look for and a lot of people are turned off by the combat in GW2. The lack of defined roles in the traditional sense can be a real turnoff for some people.

opinion aside, NW has more fleshed out dungeon mechanics. GW2 beats it handily in pretty much any other way.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

opinion aside, NW has more fleshed out dungeon mechanics. GW2 beats it handily in pretty much any other way.

Again... I wouldn't agree. I know lots of people who really dislike the combat mechanics in GW2 and prefer combat more in line with NW. When you start talking about combat mechanics, grouping mechanics, and dungeon mechanics, then you are really talking about the core of the game. While GW2 was innovative in some ways, it didn't sit well with lots of people. I also think that the foundry has a lot of potential in the endgame department which would be another plus for NW. This remains to be seen though.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Guildwars 2 by far.
  • scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74

lol real question?

okay real answer, gw2.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    So which of these 2 games is better? Which one has better story? Better combat? Better world? Also which one do you think will offer more depth and longer playability? Thanks and lets try to keep it civil.

Story - Not much of an over arching story to Neverwinter, story has been criticized as GW2s weakest point but its not bad and its there

Combat - slight edge to Neverwinter, the more real time action style combat feels good(not great but still good), GW2 has good combat as well

World - GW2 with no question, Neverwinter started as a multiplayer game and it shows, the zones are extremely tiny

Depth - hard to define exactly but I would give it to GW2 because there is more to do and more ways to do it

Playability - both run dungeons, Neverwinter has a gear grind, GW2 has much better PvP, really about personal preference

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

For me It's Neverwinter. Trinity system, better combat system, better dungeons, the foundry, there are elves :) and Faerûn is my favorite fantasy setting (witch rich lore) :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Two completely different games. They share little to compare.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

i play both games and honestly they are just way two differen't to compare.. gw2 easily has a much more polished feel but again aside from both being themeparks its hard for me to make comparisons.. 

longevity is really so hard to say because what one person finds fun for lengthy amounts of time others will not..

I quite agree. So far I'm having more fun in Neverwinter then I did in GW2.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Does it matter?

Just do this:

1. Play GW2 for a month.

2. Acknowledge your boredom.

3. Play NW for a month.

4. Acknowledge your boredom.

5. ???

Thats how the devs want it and thats how I play. No point to continue playing if you have done and seen nearly everything the game has to offer.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.