Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: The Community Sieges Forward

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Lucky for us here at MMORPG.com that we have the best community ever. Our latest column about all that's happening in the world of ArcheAge and came to us from the hands of our community. Check out what they (and we!) discovered and then head to the comments to chat!

Following that, however, Cyclopsslayer and Inporylemqq sent me more video sources, of which I enjoyed watching Inporylemqq's own channel and the videos on the SpicyMMOTV channel. Of note in the SpicyMMOTV channel is a set of videos following a series of trade quests, which the narrator explains in English for my benefit. The series is a little long, but it's enthralling stuff if you're information starved, to be sure.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: The Community Sieges Forward.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Cool.

>_<  Not much else to say.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    I really hope these seiges will be fun and not a complete bust, well done seige warfare is an absolute blast!!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    wow that place looked like an area in vanguard just outside a main city called khal.really nice
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Sweet!

Now all we need to do is invade Trion's HQ and bribe select people with beer and food, or threaten them with stale pizza, to get them to say something, anything... The silence is deafening.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

In b4 Trion takes a lot of the "soul" out of what the Koreans put into their game.

No pun intended.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Gameplay sucks in this game, why the hell they don't choose an action oriented gameplay ?.. im stil lwaiting for Black Desert Online <3
  • JuggernaughtManJuggernaughtMan Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Scellow
    Gameplay sucks in this game, why the hell they don't choose an action oriented gameplay ?.. im stil lwaiting for Black Desert Online <3

Because not everyone likes "action" combat.I for one prefer tab targetting combat. More tactical.

But thats just my opinion.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by JuggernaughtMan

Because not everyone likes "action" combat.I for one prefer tab targetting combat. More tactical.

I agree action combat like TERA is niche and is why I don't play TERA.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    What's up with the radio silence from Trion?  [mod edit]  This game is a potential cash cow...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Hey folks!

Sorry! I forgot to add the links to the threads on the MMORPG.forums in my write-up. I thought I did, but I guess I was wrong.

An explanation of Siege mechanics by Kumapon

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/383679/Castle-Sieges-are-now-live.html

The Impressions thread made by Junyo. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/383805/Siege-Warfare-Impression-by-Fist-of-the-Empires-members-Jamjafish.html

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

You can't make statements that's it's more tactical, maybe in your opinion but it certainly isn't fact.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Pretty sure he just did.  Game looks great!  It just feels like it's taking forever to be available.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
    Sweet!Now all we need to do is invade Trion's HQ and bribe select people with beer and food, or threaten them with stale pizza, to get them to say something, anything... The silence is deafening.

This has been happening already, just look at all the happy faces over at Trion enjoying some Archeage brew !

https://vine.co/v/bvxZ9vWqhiE

https://vine.co/v/bvxK7BMUB95

• Atis-nobAtis-nob Member UncommonPosts: 98
    100vs100 is not impressive and generally such limitation means that numbers>skills in this game. Skill-based game would allow any amount of attackers vs any amount of defenders.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Holy cow, looks great!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Atis-nob
    100vs100 is not impressive and generally such limitation means that numbers>skills in this game. Skill-based game would allow any amount of attackers vs any amount of defenders.

To understand why it is limited, you have to appreciate why it must be. It takes tremendous effort, gold and resources to build a castle in the north. You have to remember this land is OWNED by the guild, and it takes tremendous effort to enstablish.

This is why it must be limited and scheduled because if  it wasn't, you could just zerg the castle and take over it's land. This would discourage the effort it takes to build in the north if it can be sacked on a whim or overtaken easily by a zerg. Both sides are given time to gather their troops and both sides can attempt to fill it to 100 and because they know the attack is coming, it provides a realistic opportunity to be able to defend your land.

I think people whom struggle with this idea are not grasping that this castle siege isn't like many other games where you have predefined structures to defend that have no value aside from their ability to aquire pvp currency or rank. In AA if your castle which came at a huge expense it lost, your guild members whom live there will have their houses destroyed or will be forced to pay rent to the invader instead. To have value, it must be limited.

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
    Sweet!

Now all we need to do is invade Trion's HQ and bribe select people with beer and food, or threaten them with stale pizza, to get them to say something, anything... The silence is deafening.

This has been happening already, just look at all the happy faces over at Trion enjoying some Archeage brew !

https://vine.co/v/bvxZ9vWqhiE

https://vine.co/v/bvxK7BMUB95

That's the ArcheAgeSource.com soda I designed! :D

Originally posted by Pivotelite

You can't make statements that's it's more tactical, maybe in your opinion but it certainly isn't fact.

Thats exactly how I intended the statement to be....an opinion.

Originally posted by Atis-nob

Thats literally the exact opposite effect it has.

And you have to keep in mind, sieges could be happening similtaneously. So a guild with larger numbers could have a few fronts open.

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

So exactly how much of the heart of the game will be taken out by these main-stream western publishers? ~Fixes~ that break the game? Features removed so the game is down to the bones? Rinse wash and repeat like other SK-titles before it? Actual in-game bot and bug problems ignored until release? Cash-shop galores? Cultural intolerance on a multi-cultural created and played game? Other nationalities and cultures not allowed expect one's presumed own? ( and by "westernizing" it adds nail to the coffin. Speak english only and wear sneakers everyone!)

How I wish developers would just sell their products as mmo stand-alones like minecraft. That way independent and free players can play the game anyway they please without the middle-man publisher ruining half of the game with generic assessments of gaming. Russians are playing, English-Speaking players are playing, other players of different nationalities and nations are playing yet it mostly goes ignored by publishers while they do their cuts. The game has an international draw yet there's been a trend to think inside the box.

An international game title, yet to be treated as another generic run of the mill "westernized" title with ad flashes. So long wonderful 18+ SK origin game, hello PG-13 WoW comfort-zone watered-down soccer-mom approved game.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I am aware that this is an unfinished product, and I'm liking some if the features. But I'm not gonna lie, I was VERY disappointed by the graphics I saw in these videos.