Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes this game special?

wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73

Can someone explain why this game is better than WoW?

Is the foundry going to be THE differentiator?

That's fine and all...would be cool to maybe get my D&D group to move from RL to this...still, if not the foundry, I don't see what this game brings to the table.  

I read the extended FAQ.  Nothing special there.  I've played to level 7.  Nothing special there.

Am I missing something else?

Comments

• AderewAderew Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by wfsaxton

That's fine and all...would be cool to maybe get my D&D group to move from RL to this...still, if not the foundry, I don't see what this game brings to the table.  

I read the extended FAQ.  Nothing special there.  I've played to level 7.  Nothing special there.

None said that this game is better than WoW, NW is a F2P game with an action combat style, fun PvP, interesting dungeons and a nice community. I have also been playing WoW for years, i still like the game but it got old, that's all. NW is a fresh game and absolutely worth trying. Give it a shot, find a guild do some dungeons / PvP's / skirmishes and then decide if you will keep playing it or not.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    one reason for me and it starts with a F and ends in a Y :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Need to give this game until level 15 before you can make a decision. 

The game is very boring at low levels.  It's a combination of it being too easy and not having enough powers to use.

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Need to give this game until level 15 before you can make a decision. 

The game is very boring at low levels.  It's a combination of it being too easy and not having enough powers to use.

yea once you get to the point where you get two new at-will powers combat is a lot more fun

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    To the OP: Nothing does. The only things this game has going for it, are the facts that it is: 1.New, and, 2. "Free to Play" or download, at least (although not really to play). Aside from that, it is nothing special at all.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

My thoughts exactly. That will be the crowning jewel for this game for years to come. It captures the essence of D&D in a nutshell. So instead of one DM coming up with a few sessions for a group of friends, you have hundreds of DM's with a possibility of thousands of sessions all player made and tailored for all playing styles. A stroke of genius and a perfect fit for a D&D based mmo.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Nope. You should stick with wow.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Burntvet
    To the OP: Nothing does. The only things this game has going for it, are the facts that it is: 1.New, and, 2. "Free to Play" or download, at least (although not really to play). Aside from that, it is nothing special at all.

so other MMOs have a completely robust dungeon creator that lets me make almost anything I want including adventures with other npcs my own maps, stories, quests, campaigns and seamlessly integrates this feature into the normal questing of the game?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

so other MMOs have a completely robust dungeon creator that lets me make almost anything I want including adventures with other npcs my own maps, stories, quests, campaigns and seamlessly integrates this feature into the normal questing of the game?

That was not the question. If the Foundry turns out like it did in STO or the player made quest system in SWG, then no... it still means almost nothing. In STO there at least 50 (and more like 100) garbage player created quests for each one that was worth doing. And it has not helped that game in the long run, either. So the Foundry in Neverwinter is not inherently worth anything.

That was not the question. If the Foundry turns out like it did in STO or the player made quest system in SWG, then no... it still means almost nothing. In STO there at least 50 (and more like 100) garbage player created quests for each one that was worth doing. And it has not helped that game in the long run, either. So the Foundry in Neverwinter is not inherently worth anything.

its a lot more robust than sto and imho much better integrated so i'd say its pretty damn huge not to mention this is D&D which inherintly will spark a lot more interest for player made dungeons.. i have already done several foundry quests that were better made than almost every level 1-15 quest

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So WoW was special? 

I must have missed the memo

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Have you not seen and done all of WoW's content by now?  I haven't, but that's becuase I don't play it.  If you have been playing WoW already, I would assume you had to have seen pretty much everything by now.  So,... you could keep paying $15 a month to keep re-doing the same stuff over and over, or pay a lot less to nothing at all to play new content in a new game.  Seems kind of like a no-brainer.  WoW will still be there when you are done with Neverwinter if you need to go back or want to keep your $15 a month sub going.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

its a lot more robust than sto and imho much better integrated so i'd say its pretty damn huge not to mention this is D&D which inherintly will spark a lot more interest for player made dungeons.. i have already done several foundry quests that were better made than almost every level 1-15 quest

Don't bother, look at that guys history, he's a lot like Grumpy Smurf...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39

Until somone quoted you I thought you meant Free to Play lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It's not the only fun game out there, so I guess that means it's nothing particularly special, however it's prefect for duoing IMO so it does have that going for it, it also got me out of playing TOR, Neverwinter is now my wife's first choice in what to play, so it has that as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

you people need to STFU about wow.  not everyone likes that game...some of us, even HATE it. 

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53
    Why does it need to be special or better then WoW? I have been enjoying my time in it very much. The combat is IMO the best in any mmo I find it much more fast and fluid then tera.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

Originally posted by McPickle

Until somone quoted you I thought you meant Free to Play lol

lol well that helps i guess but not where i was going :P

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    You know its free, so why not get in the game and try it out.  When all is said and done, you will have the best insight and opinion of all, your own.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

The two foundry quests I have done were pretty impressive considering that the game just came out.

The combat mechanics of Neverwinter seem to be a good fit for the system, which was EQ2's huge issue with their dungeon maker.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

Whoever said it would be two different style games.

Comparing apples and Oranges, NW has one WoW does not

It is free and fun, a change of pace from what is out there

That is like getting to level 7 in wow and saying the game sucks without seeing much else, since you can't do BGs or Dungeons till 10+ etc.

Yes obviously you thought this was a WoW killer and probably not the game you are looking for, take it for what it is, a fun dungeon romp with some fluff.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i thought she meant fugly, personally.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

why is it so special? it is special because of ignorance, because of the plain stupidity of people that led them to believe : "because it has D&D and Neverwinter in it's name, it is awesome", this game is mediocre to say the least and not worthy to be  holding the names d&d and neverwinter. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The Foundry is what caught my attention to this game. I don't know all that much about it yet, or if it's already available in beta, but it's the one feature that GW2 (my fave MMORPG), or most themeparks, don't have. I did my share of playing and creating custom modules in NWN, modding in TES and Fallout games, so I'm feeling I'll be right at home here. Get ready for some awesome dungeon/quest line written by yours truly. :)

Of course it all depends on how robust and accessible the foundry is.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

The Foundry is what caught my attention to this game. I don't know all that much about it yet, or if it's already available in beta, but it's the one feature that GW2 (my fave MMORPG), or most themeparks, don't have. I did my share of playing and creating custom modules in NWN, modding in TES and Fallout games, so I'm feeling I'll be right at home here. Get ready for some awesome dungeon/quest line written by yours truly. :)

Of course it all depends on how robust and accessible the foundry is.

foundry is in a good to go.. you can look here for a nice set of tutorials