Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Interview] EverQuest: Wayback Wednesday with the EQ Team

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,609MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Last week, Wayback Wednesday took a trip down memory lane with Thom Terrazas, SOE Producer for EverQuest; as well as first time guests Jonathan Caraker, Lead Designer for EQ; and Josh Augustine, Designer all of the EverQuest team. Check out what they had to say and some spiffy game play during the chat. Head to the comments to chat about it when you're finished!

Fourteen years ago EverQuest was released and the world of online gaming has never been the same. I’m normally not one for grandiose statements but the validity of that comment is hard to refute. I started Wayback Wednesday with the hopes of getting a chance to take a close look at older MMORPGs and pointing out what features they brought to the genre and how they have made their impact. With EQ, you cannot really just point out one thing. You have to point out the whole thing. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's EverQuest: Wayback Wednesday with the EQ Team.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

•  

"Upon entering this zone you will find yourself in chains and tossed into the pit. From there you will need to find out what is going on in this new city."

One of the features that EQ had that modern games lack was situations like this where the game world pulled you into an event without you initating it and requesting it directly.

In most modern PvE games the interactions you have with the game world are on your terms and your terms alone. An event like this makes you feel like there is a real tug and pull between you and the game for a dynamic PvE interaction.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Whitehouse, TXPosts: 187Member
    Nothing fills my mmo void like the original EverQuest.
  • keglokeglo Springfield, MOPosts: 39Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zorlofe

This!

• keglokeglo Springfield, MOPosts: 39Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zorlofe

This!

• MacroPlanetMacroPlanet Posts: 1,068Member Uncommon
    Nice article. I wish I had played EQ in its prime. I was so addicted to UO at the time that you couldn't pull me away. It looks like it was a great game.
  • quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member
    this  video is partialy wrong  voice over has been around since day one doesnt anyone remeber the beggers in freeport ? saying can i have a copper?
  • LordKrocLordKroc Ravenna, OHPosts: 1Member
    Originally posted by quseio
    this  video is partialy wrong  voice over has been around since day one doesnt anyone remeber the beggers in freeport ? saying can i have a copper?

I remember the East Commons tunnel before the Bazaar, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd torches, with a pack mule selling all of my mains loot I found.. lol