Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dear Camelot Unchained fans

strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Congrats!  Hopefully the game turns out in a way that will please as many of you as possible.  ill be keeping an eye on it for sure!

And its possible to have a mostly "hater" free forum.  Here is how:

1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums.

2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them.  

3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves

4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on.

And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Congrats!  Hopefully the game turns out in a way that will please as many of you as possible.  ill be keeping an eye on it for sure! And its possible to have a mostly "hater" free forum.  Here is how: 1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums.2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them.  3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on. And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made

Sticky this..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• dennis5dennis5 Member CommonPosts: 23
    amen.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    At this stage of the game, CU getting funded is the equivalent of getting out of the bed in the morning on your day off. How productive your dayy off will be cannot be measured until after the day is over. The day is over for CU when the game is released. Everyone here understands roughly how long a process making a mmorpg can take. No need to set guidelines for something you have no control over anyway.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Congrats!  Hopefully the game turns out in a way that will please as many of you as possible.  ill be keeping an eye on it for sure!

1.  Dont act like your game is the saviour to the MMO landscape.  It may be for you personally, but for most people it isn't.  This is one of the main things that killed the GW2 forums.

2.  Dont spend your days talking about how WoW, GW2...or even SWTOR suck.  Why provoke their fans?  Focus on what you want to see or don't want to see from those games in CU, but dont blindly trash them.  

3.  The people that break 1 and 2: call them out on it.  i respect Jacobs for publicly speaking out against the spam campaigns.  it makes your community seem awesome when you police yourselves

4.  And don't antagonize the occasional "haters" you will still get.  If you are nice to them and dont give them new material they will just move on.

And hopefully you can all find a game that will keep you happy for the next 3 years while CU is being made

Use the backers forums when they're up. I imagine this place will die then. It already slowed down with all the trolling.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

This game is Not for me at all, but I am happy it made it, hope it is all you want.

Congrats

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565
    Yeah a lot of people are happy it funded myself included. Truth of the matter is though I would expect forum activity to somewhat die down here now. The backers will probably mostly move to the backers only forum once they open. That will cut down on discussions here and that in turn cuts down on the troll war that has been happening.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

While I kind of agree with that, I find it odd that people go out of their way (not talking about the OP or anyone specifically btw) into forum sections of game they clearly not enjoy or have no interest in, just to "police" and make sure nobody's talking bad about other games..  or to make sure they don't praise that game too much either.. It's something I can't really understand.. but maybe I just don't have enough free time, that I stick to topics I'm interested in ?

I understand that when someone blindly trash a game in general section or in that specific game's forum, it's an open call for arguments, but that's another issue.

All this to say that if someone says game X sucks in game Y's forum, why should anyone care? If once really wants to discuss this, he should instead post it in game X's forum and debate it there ...  anyways..

Thanks for that, but this should be stickied in ALL game' forums.. not just CU btw! ;)

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Odaman

Use the backers forums when they're up. I imagine this place will die then. It already slowed down with all the trolling.

I agree.  This place will be a ghost town once the backer forums go up due to all the trolling and senseless banning.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    Originally posted by dennis5
    amen.

Amen Amen !!

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

CU will be the WoW killer!!

I'm kidding I'm kidding...lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Grats to City State..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52
    It won't just kill wow, it will bury it alive and then every single asian F2P grinder and even Need For Speed World !!
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    keep this on the front page. and hopefully all the guys talking about how they're gone when the CU forum goes up really stand by their word.
  • NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53

Agreed.

I'm glad CU has been fully funded. There are a lot of people who want to see this game realized. I myself am hopeful that this game will live up to its expectations.

However, I just can't stand listening to people drudge on and on about this game as if it were better than canned bread. It was never amusing to see someone speak their thoughts about CU, and then watch as several people with a "Support CU on kickstarter" banner in their signature hammer that person with a finely tuned bulleted list.

Hopefully now that it's funded, people can calm down and let MJ & Co. make their game.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

Agreed.

I'm glad CU has been fully funded. There are a lot of people who want to see this game realized. I myself am hopeful that this game will live up to its expectations.

However, I just can't stand listening to people drudge on and on about this game as if it were better than canned bread. It was never amusing to see someone speak their thoughts about CU, and then watch as several people with a "Support CU on kickstarter" banner in their signature hammer that person with a finely tuned bulleted list.

Hopefully now that it's funded, people can calm down and let MJ & Co. make their game.

Here's the funny thing: you never had to "listen to" or "watch" any CU supporters do anything in any CU thread.  All you needed to do was NOT click on this forum.... but, you did make those clicks... I wonder why?

Anyway, I'm excited for the back forum the trolling will be held to a minimum!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Forum Police? Do you get paid by taxpayer $s or someone else? lol

Im glad Camelot Unchained reached the 2 mill kickstarter goal. It will be interesting to see how the game develops with the amount of transparency they have had so far. If this keeps up it truly will be groundbreaking in at least the development transparency.

Plus I love me some tri-realm! "Tree Huggin' Hibbies must take dirtnaps!"

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    This should apply to all games not just CU. +5 for the post!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

Agreed.

Here's the funny thing: you never had to "listen to" or "watch" any CU supporters do anything in any CU thread.  All you needed to do was NOT click on this forum.... but, you did make those clicks... I wonder why?

Anyway, I'm excited for the back forum the trolling will be held to a minimum!

As I already stated, I am interested in CU. Typically, when one spends money on an investment, it's nice to see what other people think about said investment. 

One thing I try not to "listen to" or "watch", is people making nonsensical statements with no factual basis whatsoever. 

But I digress, I'll be interested to see how they go about developing the game. MJ has been pretty straightforward about everything, including the principles on which he will make the game. I wonder which ones, if any, will be more efficient.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I love that MJ "publicly spoke out against spam campaigns" as he literally spammed all of the major video game news outlets begging for coverage of his Kickstarter.  He got called out on it repeatedly on Twitter by various publications/authors - Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade being the first one to pop into my head. 

Congrats on the game being funded.  It sounds great and like a game I'd love to play, but I'm not throwing down any money until it actually exists.  At this point I'm still skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

Steam: Neph

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

i dont really agree on the OP, but it doesnt matter.

#2 : as far as i can remember, there wasnt much of that said by actual CU fans, on the contrary, its the haters that kept being more than negative about CU

#4 at many times lots of us have tried to be nice, reason with them, no results whatsoever...respect goes both ways....when its a one way road, eventually traffic jams, and nothing moves

What i hope and believe is that if CU is a success, it might encourage other studios, big or small, to change their formula about how to make mmorpgs.

I'm not saying MJ is perfect, no one is, what i mean is that if it really succeeds when it launches, it'll prove that making a niche game with a sub can actually work, leading to more Niche games, so in the long run, EVERYONE can find a niche game they dont just like, but love to play it year after year.

I Still wish that to all Trolls, haters, as they are all humans, and deserve a game they will love too, it might even put them back in a positive attitude :)

Peace, i'm out...

almost for good.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

I love that MJ "publicly spoke out against spam campaigns" as he literally spammed all of the major video game news outlets begging for coverage of his Kickstarter.  He got called out on it repeatedly on Twitter by various publications/authors - Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade being the first one to pop into my head. 

Congrats on the game being funded.  It sounds great and like a game I'd love to play, but I'm not throwing down any money until it actually exists.  At this point I'm still skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

It certainly looks like you didnt actually read the article by Ben Kuchera, your brain just saw the words "spam" and "camelot unchained" in the title and automatically decided it was evidence for your blind hatred of Mark Jacobs.

Especially since Ben's article very clearly says the exact opposite, pointing out a poorly concieved effort by a small number of fans that MJ tried to stop when he became aware of it.

• Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Originally posted by Odaman

I agree.  This place will be a ghost town once the backer forums go up due to all the trolling and senseless banning.

I'm sure there's plenty of people interested in CU who didn't back it. They won't be able to use the backer forums.

• Originally posted by Nephaerius

This is news to me. Do you have a source for this? I've only seen an article where fans of CU spammed Ben Kuchera and other news sites, but never one about MJ. In fact MJ's been  telling the same people to stop the spam.

• Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

as far as i can remember, there wasnt much of that said by actual CU fans, on the contrary, its the haters that kept being more than negative about CU

Pretty much this.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

as far as i can remember, there wasnt much of that said by actual CU fans, on the contrary, its the haters that kept being more than negative about CU

Pretty much this.

When you spam an outside forum like what happened here your going to get trolls, these guys spammed their post to top of the front page "current forum activity" for multiple days, you don't think there will be hate after seeing it over and over and over and over and over?  Ofcourse you will, the very essense of the spam was generated by the fans pushing their thoughts onto everyone at MMORPG.COM , sure we could ignore it but many as myself use the front page to see what todays talk is about,. It happened to be CU all the time. Enough so many poeple got sick of it. Thou this does happen with any title here really so all moot at the end. The fans made the trolling themselves more then the trolls :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

This discussion has been closed.