Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Open Beta Diary #1

13»

Comments

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Neverwinter is based on D&D 4:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_4th_edition

This is the "quasi-MMO" edition of the rules, where they try to attract MMO players. So yeah, NW IS D&D (though an action oriented one)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by kaltahn
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Sounds tame enough to give it a look even though the pricing spoils the game somewhat. Whatever happened to just good old buy the game and play it

Some people got sick of paying for promises that some of the game companies couldn't keep.

It was messy.  

There were no survivors.

What happened is that companies worked a way to extract even more out of people. You now indirectly end up paying more for less.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Originally posted by yalbn
    morning all. im stuck at work today but is this the place for guild recruitment? If not can someone point in the right direction?

We only have one Neverwinter forum at the moment, so placing guild threads here would be okay: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1156

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

Today's the 30th, but they don't say anything on Perfect World's website saying that it's oficially launched. 

Anybody know if it's still in beta?

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    I like the use of the word "locusts", it's a very fitting for the MMO playerbase. 
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Postal13

Today's the 30th, but they don't say anything on Pervert World's website saying that it's oficially launched. 

Anybody know if it's still in beta?

If you can buy stuff from their website then its launched.

• Morfeus641Morfeus641 Member UncommonPosts: 28

I understand that these are initial impressions, but I think two things need to be said up front:

[1] Character Creation is not Cryptic's problem. It's NEVER Cryptic's problem. Cryptic's problem, the thing that makes them a second-tier MMO company, is gameplay. Their games are pretty, with nice customization, but they are uniformly boring, mindlessly repetitive, and noticeably buggy. What I will be looking for myself is a break from the past in terms of quality of gameplay. Do they deliver on fun?

[2] Combat is an issue in STO & CO. It's not fluid, nor particularly visceral or responsive. It's just sort of there, and slightly laggy. Cryptic combat historically does not have the responsiveness or fluidity of an FPS, or WoW, or other AAA games. So I will be looking hard at that.

TL;DR Cryptic is good at the window dressing but not the core gameplay, and that's why I don't play their other games. I'll be looking hard at NW from that perspective.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I feel pretty much everything noted is just more of the same old.I personally never like any hand holding,so to think they have a sparkly path follower is lame.Toggle it?Ya right,players wil lwant to get behind the crowd just because the developer failed to live up to the  true RP aspect of a rpg.

Starting large cities,all done before by most AAA titles,choice of starting area,again nothing to brag about all done before.UI again hit n miss,most games will allow you to move it around but imo FFXI did best,they kept the screen empty,clear of clutter and the UI worked perfect for me.

When you enter a RP game ,you expect an ADVENTURE,you are suppose to get lost in a big city.Just as in real life,you enter a big city ,you eventually learn your surroundings,but you will not learn them as fast or even care if you are hand held where to go.Players actually focus entirely on those markers and not the game world that they are suppose to be engulfed in.

Customization..I see note of a couple ideas beyond looks,which is good of course,However looks has been way over played by many games.After all your fiddling around,you are done forever,that cusomization part of the game is all done,you never use it again.So  in reality it might be 5-30 minutes worth of content.Also all that fiddling around is lost once you wear your first set of armor,everything is covered.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I feel pretty much everything noted is just more of the same old.I personally never like any hand holding,so to think they have a sparkly path follower is lame.Toggle it?Ya right,players wil lwant to get behind the crowd just because the developer failed to live up to the  true RP aspect of a rpg.

Starting large cities,all done before by most AAA titles,choice of starting area,again nothing to brag about all done before.UI again hit n miss,most games will allow you to move it around but imo FFXI did best,they kept the screen empty,clear of clutter and the UI worked perfect for me.

When you enter a RP game ,you expect an ADVENTURE,you are suppose to get lost in a big city.Just as in real life,you enter a big city ,you eventually learn your surroundings,but you will not learn them as fast or even care if you are hand held where to go.Players actually focus entirely on those markers and not the game world that they are suppose to be engulfed in.

And an adventure you shall have, it is there, take a bit of effort from the player himself to actively read the quest dialog, disable the quest pathing and just roam around, not hard to ignore the minimap, if the quest say go to 'waterdeep tavern' then go roam around the city, discover and see if you can find it. It really gripes me when people complain about features like this being available, when they don't take anything away from the experience, as they are still optional, in FACT how about you just press B and play the game that way- NO UI completely, no maps, no ability bar, nothing, all you'll see is the world, so if you remember which key is for what ability, just play the game this way - and omg FULL IMMERSION.

SO to the point- All the devs do these days is provide OPTIONS, if you are not getting the adventure then you are not actively seeking it. The fault here lies with the players. Or what the hell do you expect? Back in Tabletop DND days, did the GM BRING the freaking table to your house with a bunch of people, so you could have your Adventure? Or did you have to go out and Find those people or the shop where it's hosted? OF COURSE you had to do that. That's the basic requirement of having an Adventure, you have to actively seek it first. The game mechanics fully allow for you to have your roleplaying and adventure and exploration mode without all the guiding and help. Just hit the B key and walk around like that. IF you revert to normal mode after that, then you were not truly seeking what you stated you were.

Customization..I see note of a couple ideas beyond looks,which is good of course,However looks has been way over played by many games.After all your fiddling around,you are done forever,that cusomization part of the game is all done,you never use it again.So  in reality it might be 5-30 minutes worth of content.Also all that fiddling around is lost once you wear your first set of armor,everything is covered.

I enjoed the options provided for initially  customizing your character and I agree with your point. You can't make an 'totally unique' pink afro clown, but hey, all cahracters do look true to their race/origins in the world.
    As far as armor is concerned- I am incredibly disappointed. NO it has nothing to do with having a particular look per class, or how much it opens up later on. Someone mentioned all the recent games, stating how they 'all' do it like this. Did everyone forget about Lineage2? Even the starting armors/weapons had unique looks from level 1-10.
    And this is a game that's been out for 9 years in the western market. They took care to make it Diverse all the way Back then. But in saying that. Everyone lately burns through content like crazy, how long do you really stay as a level 6 wizard? Or level 10? So why would the developers create a hundred nice and uniques armors/weapons that take few tens of hours to create, for you to spend 20 minutes in them. Back in Lineage 2 Prelude, they all had a unique look, but to get from level 4-5 took a up to a couple of days, to get from level 9-10 could be done in a week but some people took even two weeks, this is in a game that also had around 60 levels at the time ( i never reached max level at Prelude so can't remember what the max was at the time, which later got expanded ). So of course they would rather spend that dev time on something more useful.
  • lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32

"Or what the hell do you expect? Back in Tabletop DND days, did the GM BRING the freaking table to your house with a bunch of people, so you could have your Adventure? Or did you have to go out and Find those people or the shop where it's hosted?"

To extrapolate even further- nowadays the GM aka game company really does bring the Tabletop aka mmo to your house with a bunch of people, and tries to tell you the story but you too lazy to listen/read, and tries to get you involved, but you are too lazy to roll the dice. If you really want adventure, you have to seize the moment, find out what UI customizations can help you with what you are seeking ( there's plenty of options ) As an example- don't want a map? Then can you disable that minimap? Don't turn on the main map, pretend it doesn't even exist, set some other realistic roleplay limits. If you want Adventure to happen to YOU and YOU being the center of it then YOU need to be ACTIVE participant. It isn't an adventure if you sit back and watch a movie. THAT's something happenning to someone else. YOUR adventure starts with YOU making it happen. The devs have provided the means, use them.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

We seem to gettting more and more "reviews" for a MMo as each new one launches. MMORPG.com started doing these reviews in part about a year ago. Now we are having that process started before the game launches. You have to ask how many pre-reviews is this MMO going to have? Four? Ten?

This whole process is undermining whats important, how good the game is at launch. These reviews are stoking the pre-order madness that gamers have. A beta review is going to be more important than the launch review one day. Lets wait until the game has launched, have a proper review then and make our minds up.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Enjoying the game so far even though I have never played an old school game of D&D in my life, but I don't think that matters, because I love the lore I have seen. But this game will probably have the same problem every new mmorpg experiences. It's popular at first, but the majority of those players are, for lack of a better word, douchebags. They rush through all the great content to cap, then bitch that there isn't enough end-game content even though there's actually a lot for a new mmorpg, then inevitably leave the game and flock to comment sections of the game on any particular gaming site and "discuss" that the game is crap, when in actuality it isn't, it's actually a pretty great mmorpg. I've seen it so many times, and it REALLY pisses me off. There are endless amounts of players like this, and not one of them can ever appreciate the immense time, effort, and passion that goes in to crafting an mmorpg. Of course there are good, mature players of the opposite type, but not as many. This time MAY be different because I don't think Neverwinter is as well known by the masses, and for once seems to have realistic hype. Plus there are many D&D fans, enough so that I think this game will see modest success, as long as the Zen Market isn't pay-to-win style, so we'll see.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236
    Really liking it so far, I bought the $60.00 founder pack, and for sure feel I have already got my money's wroth. My only bad thing I saw is I wish they made the crystals so they could be used cross toons,  but this is small thing. Overall it feels like a finished polished game, which is saying alot in itself with mmos add to that its dnd with voice chat how bad can it be?
  • faidrafaidra Member Posts: 1

After  my 20 lvl  the game tuirned from fre 2 play to pay 2 stay. Backback problems,unlockable majestic lotery boxes screaming buy buy buy  ZEN scums selling bags  that cannot be used...or overpiced anything  clerics who dont know what  a cleric means.I have play mmorpg and D&D for  many many years and   now  i managed to see a HUGE orc as a trickter  rogue... and as the  person behind it hade spend quite a lot in cash shop.... seems fair.... Some of us old players.... who love this type of  games and spend quite alot  buying then since the  came out online or not.... liked the way  of the philoshophy of this type of  games.Needs knowlege to choose what to  do on every step on this type of games.....and since pen and paper....i know.. that an orc a huge one is just a hint that someone is just  murdering  D&D  to make money.......

sorry for my bad english....

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

I've tried it and gotta say I'm disappointed.

I knew it was not so much D&D as it was an action MMO themepark, but really...one weapon per class? That just seems lazy.

And while I do know it's "just" Open Beta, the game feels waaay to clunky and buggy for something that's supposed to be almost ready for launch. Half the animations don't even play properly, random weapon disappearances, crazy clipping and pushback issues, totally unpolished combat... very disappointed.

I'll pass on this one.