Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason why DFUW is becoming a success

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

One word: Progression

You can see your progression and see others progression (prowess points).  In DF1.0 you could not see progress.  All you saw in DF1.0 was dirt in your face as you lay on the ground about to be ganked and no way to know if they were better or worse than you skill wise.

As someone with 15k prowess that regularly kills players with 30k or more porwess.  The new game is a godsend!

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

It's doing well, but it's the sort of game that needs to constantly evolve.

If the devs aim for a world like UO (obviously with DFUW's current graphics and atmosphere) it would be absolutely amazing.

In other words, more sand must constantly be added to the sand box.

And there needs to be a published plan of action, and plenty of debate / discussion with players. 

Communication and a sharing of visions is healthy.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

oh and i expected a reason like : because of the many MMORPG features and intercation with the online world....

Till then ....

Its supbar..it has even half of DF1 features..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

One word: ProgressionYou can see your progression and see others progression (prowess points).  In DF1.0 you could not see progress.  All you saw in DF1.0 was dirt in your face as you lay on the ground about to be ganked and no way to know if they were better or worse than you skill wise.As someone with 15k prowess that regularly kills players with 30k or more porwess.  The new game is a godsend!

No, safe zones are the one biggest reason why 90% of the crowd hasn't already left.
    Also the UI, even though many hate it, is way more user friendly and intuitive than the DF1 UI. Newbs have a much easier time getting into the game than before.

I'm a little worried about player retention passed the first month though with all the technical server issues they're having. If they don't improve fast I'm not even sure to renew my sub, and I love the game...
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

For example, WoW and GW2 don't have full looting, a completely open world, 1 server (EU or US server so you can really get to know people), persistent towns and cities to defend, or any form of player housing.

Your comparing apples with oranges.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Not being a troll or trying to start a fight, but can you show the evidence that UW is becoming a success? I only ask because I've seen no numbers to indicate if it is, or if it's failing, or anything. I don't know that it is becoming anything atm but I'd be interested to see how well it's doing, if it really is.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Not being a troll or trying to start a fight, but can you show the evidence that UW is becoming a success? I only ask because I've seen no numbers to indicate if it is, or if it's failing, or anything. I don't know that it is becoming anything atm but I'd be interested to see how well it's doing, if it really is.

Population is high.  What more do you need from a gameplay perspective?

Edit:  Question is, does UW have staying power?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Population is high.  What more do you need in terms of success?

Numbers. No offence but saying the pop is high is misleading. Is it shards or a single server? Is that pop high because it says so when you log in?

I'm more interested in how many units have been sold. Hard evidence rather than supposition.

As I said please don't take this as a troll, I'm genuinely interested. I've looked but I've found no numbers to base any conclusion on.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Something a little more specific than "population is high."  High according to who, and when?  Official numbers?

Regardless, the game will fade back into the obscurity that 1.0 was in simply because the DF community is really bad.  I mean, it's good if you enjoy racial slurs, 13 year old boys looking to prove their manhood by swearing every chance they get, no sense of immersion, and a broken combat system that revolves around ranged combat and bunny hopping.

You make me like charity

Numbers. No offence but saying the pop is high is misleading. Is it shards or a single server? Is that pop high because it says so when you log in?

I'm more interested in how many units have been sold. Hard evidence rather than supposition.

As I said please don't take this as a troll, I'm genuinely interested. I've looked but I've found no numbers to base any conclusion on.

There is no instances in Darkfall and the global population is on two servers (EU & NA).  So people are actually out in the game world, not hiding in an instance.  I just made my way back to the mainland and went to the human starter area and there were hundreds of people running around. 

These are some clan numbers from the NA server:

April 17: 1606
    April 18: 2479 + 54%
    April 19: 2900 + 16%
    April 20: 3226 + 11%
    April 21: 3890 + 20%
    April 22: 4121 + 6%
    april 23: 4347 + 5.5%
    april 24: 4480 + 3%
    april 25: 4648 + 4%
    april 26: 5017 + 8%
    april 27: 5147 + 2.5%
    april 28: 5408 + 5%
    april 29: 5611 + 3.8%
    april 30: 5754 + 2.5%
    Largest Clan: Imperium 386 members

It is unknown how many unclanned people there are. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You can see your progression and see others progression (prowess points).  In DF1.0 you could not see progress.  All you saw in DF1.0 was dirt in your face as you lay on the ground about to be ganked and no way to know if they were better or worse than you skill wise.

As someone with 15k prowess that regularly kills players with 30k or more porwess.  The new game is a godsend!

So what I can draw from this is that Progression (prowess points) doesn't really matter at the end of the day, so you meant to say progression of your character isn't really that important, and the game provides you a way to prove that to each other.

Or put more simply, player skill is a much bigger deciding factor in a fight rather than actual progression of your character.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Kyleran

So what I can draw from this is that Progression (prowess points) doesn't really matter at the end of the day, so you meant to say progression of your character isn't really that important, and the game provides you a way to prove that to each other.

Or put more simply, player skill is a much bigger deciding factor in a fight rather than actual progression of your character.

That's exactly what I read out of it.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Population is OK but nowhere near the originial NA launch for example.  I was on a clanmate's alt and rode all the way from Orc to far South Alfar lands and came across maybe 2 people.....  Also - the steam launch has not showed to be any HUGE increase in population people were thinking.

They still need to get content in asap or they will start bleeding people.

Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Population is OK but nowhere near the originial NA launch for example.  I was on a clanmate's alt and rode all the way from Orc to far South Alfar lands and came across maybe 2 people.....

Thats the thing about a huge, open, non-instanced world.  Sometimes you come across vacant areas, and those same areas could be flooded with people at a different time.  Alfar lands do contain less people though, that is for sure.  Not like the human, elf or wolf lands.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

To be fair though Badaboom... the population was higher in DF1, and we all know what happened to DF1.

A big test will be after the "free" month expires for those who initially purchased the game.  Another milestone will be when those who purchased through Steam need to renew their subs.

Right now DF:UW and Aventurine is in a good place with a lot of the players who enjoy the game as the Devs are actively working on bugs.  However... soon they will be expected to come through on their promises of content being added "immediately after launch".  

How long will that timeframe of "grace" last from their fans?  

Probably varies for everyone.  I'd say most would expect it within the next month or two at the latest though.  If they try and drag it out past 3-6 months... most of this "good will" will evaporate with this new batch of players, just as it did with the long-time DF1 players who stuck around for an extra 2 years of promises.  

Time will tell.  image

Population is OK but nowhere near the originial NA launch for example.  I was on a clanmate's alt and rode all the way from Orc to far South Alfar lands and came across maybe 2 people.....

Thats the thing about a huge, open, non-instanced world.  Sometimes you come across vacant areas, and those same areas could be flooded with people at a different time.  Alfar lands do contain less people though, that is for sure.  Not like the human, elf or wolf lands.

Remember... DF1 was even bigger.  Just saying.  image

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by xzyax

That is true and all good points.  Plus let's face it the steam release has not had the "flood" of players people thought it would have.  Lot of topics over there people are saying how the game is too expensive to buy and have a sub on top of that.  AV needs to get the content in ASAP to keep the players it has and attract more or else it will start to bleed again.  Market alone would be huge but some clans want those dungeons in ASAP that were done a few months ago...

• dekondekon Member UncommonPosts: 17

Being too big is a problem but being too small is also a problem. The population is nice and the size is also good where you can go looking for a treasure map andn ot encounter hundreds of people in every area to the point where you die immediately in every zone. However, the population is still good enough for where if you are looking for pvp, it is pretty easy to find (close to popular mob spawns and clan cities). Still, people can and will find you wandering around in various zones so there is always that pressure of dying every where you walk in the pvp zones. Thats what keeps me playing this game.

And yes the fact that you know other people's prowesses is also a big plus. To answer some people who questioned this, if you have higher prowess you will have a significant advantage in terms of damage, health, and attributes. But, you still have to hit your attacks, in other words, have some skill to kill people. So people with the same skill but different prowess levels, if the level is substantial, the higher level will almost always win.

There is no instances in Darkfall and the global population is on two servers (EU & NA).  So people are actually out in the game world, not hiding in an instance.  I just made my way back to the mainland and went to the human starter area and there were hundreds of people running around. 

Just as a point of reference Badaboom I found the old thread that I started back for DF1.  I kept weekly counts for both servers for awhile.  I stopped when I didn't think the numbers were reliable anymore.  Anyway... here is a link to that thread and you can look for yourself at the numbers.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/259666/page/1

Not sure of the exact high-points, but from memory the EU server had well over 12k and NA server had well over 9k.

So, DF:UW is a ways off of those marks.  image

Just as a point of reference Badaboom I found the old thread that I started back for DF1.  I kept weekly counts for both servers for awhile.  I stopped when I didn't think the numbers were reliable anymore.  Anyway... here is a link to that thread and you can look for yourself at the numbers.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/259666/page/1

Not sure of the exact high-points, but from memory the EU server had well over 12k and NA server had well over 9k.

So, DF:UW is a ways off of those marks.  image

Yeah, I know the pop is not what it once was as I was there.  It may never reach the old numbers.  If AV can keep pace with updates though, I feel UW will keep up its momentum and keep growing.

Yeah, I know the pop is not what it once was as I was there.  It may never reach the old numbers.  If AV can keep pace with updates though, I feel UW will keep up its momentum and keep growing.

I hope you are right Badaboom.

Despite my designation as a "skeptic/hater" by some here on mmorpg.com, I really do hope that DarkFall survives for its fans. DarkFall provides a niche MMO experience that is hard to find elsewhere.

My main beef has been with Tasos and to a lesser degree Aventurine.  I truly believe that in the hands of more competent devs/publisher that DarkFall would be (have been) a better experience for the fans.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    it wont be a success simple as that.
  • gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Badaboom Yeah, I know the pop is not what it once was as I was there.  It may never reach the old numbers.  If AV can keep pace with updates though, I feel UW will keep up its momentum and keep growing.
    I hope you are right Badaboom. Despite my designation as a "skeptic/hater" by some here on mmorpg.com, I really do hope that DarkFall survives for its fans. DarkFall provides a niche MMO experience that is hard to find elsewhere. My main beef has been with Tasos and to a lesser degree Aventurine.  I truly believe that in the hands of more competent devs/publisher that DarkFall would be (have been) a better experience for the fans.  

Well, im not so sure that another company would do a better job on a game like Darkfall. Wouldn't there be alternatives already if that was the case?
    Everyone just goes for quick money grabs nowadays. They don't give a damn about that small % of gamers who like this type of games.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This game is far from perfect, but my god is it a blast to watch everything progress especially this early in the game.  If handled properly, it Could be one of the best MMO's out there.  I've said that so many times, and usually let down so, im going to keep hoping this one doesn't end like the rest :D see yall on the battlefield.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

It's doing well, but it's the sort of game that needs to constantly evolve.

If the devs aim for a world like UO (obviously with DFUW's current graphics and atmosphere) it would be absolutely amazing.

In other words, more sand must constantly be added to the sand box.

And there needs to be a published plan of action, and plenty of debate / discussion with players. 

Communication and a sharing of visions is healthy.

They have no plans to do this whatsoever.  In fact, there is video online of Tasos saying as much.  They want this game to be PvP conquest only, and they don't plan to add more sand, more PvE or anything else ot make it a more well-rounded game.

I wish they would, because the lack of things to do other than constant PvP is what turns me off (along with all the technical issues).

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Mors.Magne It's doing well, but it's the sort of game that needs to constantly evolve. If the devs aim for a world like UO (obviously with DFUW's current graphics and atmosphere) it would be absolutely amazing. In other words, more sand must constantly be added to the sand box. And there needs to be a published plan of action, and plenty of debate / discussion with players.  Communication and a sharing of visions is healthy.
    They have no plans to do this whatsoever.  In fact, there is video online of Tasos saying as much.  They want this game to be PvP conquest only, and they don't plan to add more sand, more PvE or anything else ot make it a more well-rounded game. I wish they would, because the lack of things to do other than constant PvP is what turns me off (along with all the technical issues).

And how exactly did you come to the conclusion? Please link to posts that Tasos sais they only want this game to be a PvP conquest.
    The upcoming patch will include Markets and Dungeons, so your statement that they are not planning to add anything else but PvP content, is already busted.