Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from this crap game

Comments

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Played for around five to six hours last night. Most fun I've had in a game in a long time.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by erinys

- it's not neverwinter nights

- it's not dungeons and dragons

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

Would advise everyone to steer clear, its a bad shallow game as are all the cryptic games.

1.  Might as well complain that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a bad game only on the grounds that its not Knights of the Old Republic 3 (which by the way, would have VASTLY improved the game, as it is a good game, but a bad MMO).

2.  Um, yes it is.  If it is officially licensed by the owners of D&D to have the D&D title and has said title, it is a D&D game.  Love it or hate it, it is still a D&D game, just like Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil are Zelda games.  Just suck it up and take it like a man (or woman).

3.  By that logic, City of Heroes was a bad game because it was made by Cryptic.  Except it wasn't.  In fact, it was the best game NCSoft had until they shut it down.

4.  Logical fallacy.  Moving on.

5.  If you looked at the cash shop, you will see that there are no pay 2 win items.  No uber-loot for sale, no gamebreaking anything.  Do you even know what pay 2 win even means?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ZaphearZaphear Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

Would advise everyone to steer clear, its a bad shallow game as are all the cryptic games.

1.  Might as well complain that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a bad game only on the grounds that its not Knights of the Old Republic 3 (which by the way, would have VASTLY improved the game, as it is a good game, but a bad MMO).

2.  Um, yes it is.  If it is officially licensed by the owners of D&D to have the D&D title and has said title, it is a D&D game.  Love it or hate it, it is still a D&D game, just like Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil are Zelda games.  Just suck it up and take it like a man (or woman).

3.  By that logic, City of Heroes was a bad game because it was made by Cryptic.  Except it wasn't.  In fact, it was the best game NCSoft had until they shut it down.

5.  If you looked at the cash shop, you will see that there are no pay 2 win items.  No uber-loot for sale, no gamebreaking anything.  Do you even know what pay 2 win even means?

You obviously haven't looked at the item shop then because you can buy the best armor in the game there..

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    Played for around five to six hours last night. Most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

I agree. Whether you hate Cryptic or hate PW , the game does what it needs to and it is fun to play. Ill be the first to admit that I never liked Cryptic much or PW but I can't deny that the game isn't fun. I am having so much fun, and it's nice to play this MMO that's free until another one comes out that captures my interest. 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Zaphear

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

You obviously haven't looked at the item shop then because you can buy the best armor in the game there..

Yikes, heh.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

That's sort of the problem with these posts...

They assume so much, they seem to be for the "public good" but in reality they are just expressions of people's anger.

Say what you want about cryptic but I've always found their games to be "good shallow fun". Meaning, I've always had fun in them for short bits of time. Nothing to dedicate myself to but I've always enjoyed myself fully knowing what they were about.

As far as it not being D&D, well, I understand it's a different ruleset and anyway, I always changed the D&D rules to suit my preference so I have no problems with a different ruleset.

Not sure where the pay to win comes from but I have a character who is level 23'ish and not only have I yet to use any cash shop I've yet to buy any gear. And I've been playing quests that are always ahead of my level.

Am I having fun? Sure!

do I have criticisms? You bet!

Will I stay with the game for years? Not at all!

But for now it's a pleasant enough diversion.

Having said that the foundry seems the real draw to the whole affair. both for players and creators.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Spend more time playing the game with your friends and less time worrying about what other players are doing and what is in the cash shop. Mostly looking forward to playing through the content my D&D GMs create.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

As an action oriented MMO/RPG it works very well.  Yeah, you are "pigeonholed" into a specific style of a certain DnD 4.0 class, but your choices really open up after level 15 or so.  Before then, it is pretty straightforward as to what abilities to upgrade/pick (as options are limited).

However, being only level 23, I am some times having a tough time determining if I want to upgrade an ability or pick up a new one.  Will this new ability enhance my playstyle and build? Or should I upgrade an ability I already have?

When compared to DDO, yeah DDO provides the more "traditional" DnD leveling experience.  But combat isn't as polished and feels awkward at times.  Neverwinter... combat just flows albiet a bit chaotic at times.  Combined with a fairly nice toolset in the Foundry.

I don't know why people think its P2W... it's not.  In GW2 you could use the same exact tactic to rush to endgame.  Spend a $$$$$ and buy crafting materials (which can be very very cheap) and craft to the top.  

I do agree with some complaints that the conversion rate from AD to Zen is kind of high - this isn't dictated by Cryptic.  I believe it is as high as it is mostly due to the fact that Guardian and Hero pre-orderers have tons of AD at their disposal.  I could be wrong, but I imagine the conversion rate will drop.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

You're just lucky I can't log in right now to take a screenshot of the cash shop to prove you wrong.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    there is no gear for sale in the cash shop. 
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

You can buy GOOD armor for you level in the shop. That isnt the best armor in the game, the best armor in the game comes from actually PLAYING the game.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    I like it!
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    wasnt expecting to much but loving this game so far has an old school feel to it reached lvl 10 and already done 4 dungeons /sewers etc did a 5 min skirmish got 1k diamonds for it as for the graphics i think they have come up with a really good art style i dont know if ill still be playing in say 3 months but for now this will do nicely and would just like to ask what people expect of graphics now adays do peeps just get bored with their xbox or ps3 ill play an mmo on my pc and say this mmo is pants because it dosnt look like crysis/bioshock  etc because i cant ever see mmos ever being as good they have to cater for thousands/millions of pcs all with different (most anyway) configs download this game and try it for yourself anyway thats my tuppence worth happy gaming .
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Just DL'd and installed. Such a D&D lore fanboy. I have extremely low expectaions though. I know the game doesn't have nearly the depth of systems as the game I've been playing for the last 6 months.

I don't even know why I'm going to try... I am though, it's free. I'm gonna try to log on later today if I can pull myself away from Wushu. I will report back.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ValricoValrico Member Posts: 1
    If you go into this game expecting perfection then you will be very disappointed, but I challenge you to find a better mmo out there that is free to download/free to play. Yeah there are certain things that can be purchased to speed up the process of leveling whether its class lv or profession lv, but after playing guild wars 2 for the past few months and spending real money on in game gold through gems, I realized that there is nothing wrong with having the option to buy boosts and power ups because nobody is forcing you to spend your money on these things to progress in the game it just will take longer. Really enjoying the cleric class in this game, and the only complaint I have is the long queue times and there are only presently 3 servers worldwide which makes it difficult to just log in and play for a short period of time before work etc.
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

My experiences so far has been very positive.

- It is D&D but uses the 4.0e ruleset. That in itself lends to massive debate between fans of 3.5e and 4.0e. There are massive changes to the game mechanics so what might be familiar to old school 3.5e players might feel that 4.0e is completely alien due to the revamped system.

- It is set in the Forgotten Realms AFTER the spellplague has wiped out pretty much most of Faerun. Almost all the major gods and goddesses and many of the major heroes that define the Forgotten Realms campaign are dead, insane or both (dead and insane).

- The game has quite a few easter eggs. At the starting city of Neverwinter you can find a street named "Deekin's way" which refers of course to everyone's favorite henchman from NWN Deekin Scalesinger.

- Prestige class has become Paragon class which is pretty much like the prestige class of 3.5e with some changes.

- Character creation has been simplified. Well this is both a good and a bad thing. For those who are not familiar with the D&D ruleset and its minute details you can just jump in and play. No fuss no muss. However if you want to customize your character advancement deeply then it is kinda of a let down.

- Graphics is pretty good. I wouldn't say excellent but it is good. It reminds me of the graphics in Champions online but that's probably because they are using the same engine.

- Hack and slash is fun. This is an action RPG not pen and paper RPG so I am guessing some of the nuances from D&D PnP just simply don't translate well into an MMO without turning it into another DDO.

- Much reading. Well this is D&D what do you expect. Reading and reading comprehension is pretty much the basis of good roleplaying :P

- Buy to win. I don't think this is true. I have peruse the cash shop last night and while there are SOME items that gives you a boost there's really not a lot in it that can totally change the gameplay. But yes some people are complaining about the high prices of the zen goods. Note tho that many of the zen items are bound per account like all the zen mounts. Yes they are costly (3500-4000 zen) roughly around $40 bucks but those mounts are account bound (meaning all your chars from the same account will get them).

- Most of the items can be bought using the astral diamonds. They can be earned by doing daily quests. It's an in-game currency (there are quite a few of them). It's also a system to deter gold sellers since you cannot easily  trade astral diamonds.

- Queues. Yes it's annoying. I suspect it's just a launch day thing. Most of the time my queue last for around 15-40 mins. Hopefully it'll be gone by the weekends.

- For those complaining about PVP. Well D&D is never about competitive gaming. D&D at it's core is all about cooperative gameplay with friends.

All in all I think NEVERWINTER is a good game. It still needs polish and some prices on the cash shop needs to come down.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Liddokun

- It is D&D but uses the 4.0e ruleset. That in itself lends to massive debate between fans of 3.5e and 4.0e. There are massive changes to the game mechanics so what might be familiar to old school 3.5e players might feel that 4.0e is completely alien due to the revamped system.

- It is set in the Forgotten Realms AFTER the spellplague has wiped out pretty much most of Faerun. Almost all the major gods and goddesses and many of the major heroes that define the Forgotten Realms campaign are dead, insane or both (dead and insane).

- The game has quite a few easter eggs. At the starting city of Neverwinter you can find a street named "Deekin's way" which refers of course to everyone's favorite henchman from NWN Deekin Scalesinger.

- Prestige class has become Paragon class which is pretty much like the prestige class of 3.5e with some changes.

- Character creation has been simplified. Well this is both a good and a bad thing. For those who are not familiar with the D&D ruleset and its minute details you can just jump in and play. No fuss no muss. However if you want to customize your character advancement deeply then it is kinda of a let down.

- Graphics is pretty good. I wouldn't say excellent but it is good. It reminds me of the graphics in Champions online but that's probably because they are using the same engine.

- Hack and slash is fun. This is an action RPG not pen and paper RPG so I am guessing some of the nuances from D&D PnP just simply don't translate well into an MMO without turning it into another DDO.

- Much reading. Well this is D&D what do you expect. Reading and reading comprehension is pretty much the basis of good roleplaying :P

- Buy to win. I don't think this is true. I have peruse the cash shop last night and while there are SOME items that gives you a boost there's really not a lot in it that can totally change the gameplay. But yes some people are complaining about the high prices of the zen goods. Note tho that many of the zen items are bound per account like all the zen mounts. Yes they are costly (3500-4000 zen) roughly around $40 bucks but those mounts are account bound (meaning all your chars from the same account will get them).

- Most of the items can be bought using the astral diamonds. They can be earned by doing daily quests. It's an in-game currency (there are quite a few of them). It's also a system to deter gold sellers since you cannot easily  trade astral diamonds.

- Queues. Yes it's annoying. I suspect it's just a launch day thing. Most of the time my queue last for around 15-40 mins. Hopefully it'll be gone by the weekends.

- For those complaining about PVP. Well D&D is never about competitive gaming. D&D at it's core is all about cooperative gameplay with friends.

All in all I think NEVERWINTER is a good game. It still needs polish and some prices on the cash shop needs to come down.

+1 Very nice post

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

- made by cryptic

- published by PWO

- pay 2 win

I thought the best armor was bought with Seals. I have yet to see anything of that sort in the shop either.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Punk999

- Was never supposed to be.

- it's 4e DnD

- ok

- yea shame but oh well

- it is not pay to win nothing in the zen shop makes my character superman.

Sorry that you dont like the game!

Oh well tho GL on finding a game you like!

I agree with you, people seem to confuse Neverwinter with Neverwinter Nights and don't know about 4th Edition Ruleset. Also I didn't see anything that was P2W in the Zen Store.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Since its free I am going to try it and decide for myself.  The fact Cryptic and Perfect World are behind it does leave me feeling apprehensive.  I have had previous issues with both for a variety of reasons.

I'm in the same boat but have still heard enough good about it to warrant giving it a try.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Yes stay away from this game.  I need the queues to be shorter plox ;)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Draemos
    It's a good game...

I agree, excellent choice for those duo's out there looking for something fast paced and fun.

This is the general feeling I get out of it.  If I had a partner or small group to play this with I think it could be entertaining.  Being locked out of so many loot options in the dungeons due to class or lack of kits rubs me the wrong way.  That's a personal issue, everyone will be different of course.

This is just an impression from very little gameplay.  Played once during one of the closed betas (that was open to everyone) and Played for a while tonight.  So obviously my experience with it is very limited.

I could see someone playing alone feeling like they're missing the part that's fun, at least based on my own experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Yes stay away from this game.  I need the queues to be shorter plox ;)

Right there! 

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

It's ok to not like things....

I don't think the game is perfect, nor do I really care for the cash shop, but I find myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. Sorry, I guess I can't rage at this game like people seem to think I should.

Coming from me, that should say a lot. All it takes is to check my post history to see I have honestly voiced my critical opinion about Cryptic. Cryptic made a game even I can enjoy. The world must be ending.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Liddokun

I completely agree with this, only I think the phrase 'old school 3.5e players' is a bit lame though. Old school when it comes to D&D goes back to players who have played it during the TSR times. The original D&D, AD&D1e and AD&D2e have all 3 had a timespan of about 8-10 years between releases. 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 have much less between that (though I agree that 3,5 is the most played of these).

Also thank you for clarifying the new Fearun for me. After I quited AD&D2e I haven't kept up with the lore and I was already quite annoyed that Mystra was not there as Goddess of magic - I also missed a lot of other (for me) familiar dieties. Any good place to update the lore of the FR (other than WotC books)?

This discussion has been closed.