Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More companies should call their 'official launch' what it really is..an open beta.

WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I see Neverwinter launch no different than any other AAA MMO and even quite typical in nature.

However, the two saving grace here is that Cryptic didn't call it an official release and treat their customers as beta testers and second..once you get past the long queues and client crashes the game is actually quite stable and i haven't encountered any game breaking bugs which i am so used to coming across within first 3 to 4 hours of gameplay.

But like i mentioned in title that more companies should start calling their official releases what it really is..a paid open beta testing.

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    You could say the open beta is a marketing tool or preview but I dont' think it is a disguised launch.  They did the right thing by offering the game up for anyone before the official launch so they can fix all the queue and server crap that has surfaced.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Here i thought THIS IS OPEN BETA still. Did i miss something?

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by taus01

It is. Someone evidently had trouble logging in last night and is taking out his rage here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Calling it open beta is just marketing spin.

The game is released.  When they started charging money, stated no more wipes and opened their doors to the public it was a release.  They can call it what they want.  I could call a cat a horse, it wouldn't make it a horse.

If anything people should be insulted with companies treating it's customers with such contempt, rather than defending them because 'it's an open beta!'.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

What else did i say? more companies need to be honest and should call their so called official launches an open beta because in reality that is what it is.

Cryptic is being honest here no matter how much people think it is another ploy to fool the customers as if these customers have not been foloed into beta testing for all these years after the official release of MMOS.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It is. Someone evidently had trouble logging in last night and is taking out his rage here.

If it is directed towards me you clearly missed the point of my OP.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

You do realize the time that you rewrote the post at is listed on your post, right?  Nice try, tho! image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

You do realize the time that you rewrote the post at is listed on your post, right?  Nice try, tho! image

Rewrote what? i have no idea what you just said.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    You could say the open beta is a marketing tool or preview but I dont' think it is a disguised launch.  They did the right thing by offering the game up for anyone before the official launch so they can fix all the queue and server crap that has surfaced.

An open Beta means testing, stress testing, char wipes, ect ect

Of all they things one would associate with a beta only one is carries over and that is the stress test.  No char wipes, all content is available (except Drow, which why not allow access to it until launch is beyond me), store fully functional n is up n running.  This "open beta" is no different than a major patch day of expansion release in say WoW.

This is a "soft launch" with the only soft part of the launch is performance issues and accessing the game.  This is certainly not an open beta.

Also to the OP, this is hardly a AAA MMO.  Don't know what a A or AA MMO consitutes but this is hardly a AAA.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

There is no such thing as Open Beta for F2P games. It's soft launch that allows for "oh but it''s just beta" excuse. Half of F2P games are in "open beta" for years. The moment there is no more wipes and "supporters" pay for early access it has no right to call itself beta in the testing sense. Sorry. 

The controlled access weekends were already what normally consitutes for open beta due to number of keys avalible on all sorts of MMO sites. This, sadly is launch, and as far as launches go it's far from perfect. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

The only "fixes" that are going to get added for queue lengths and server load issues is that all the players who would only play this game for 1-2 weeks on average are going to stop playing it in a couple weeks and the queue length will drop.  Just like every other MMO out there.   

Originally posted by Ezhae

There is no such thing as Open Beta for F2P games. It's soft launch that allows for "oh but it''s just beta" excuse. Half of F2P games are in "open beta" for years. The moment there is no more wipes and "supporters" pay for early access it has no right to call itself beta in the testing sense. Sorry. 

The controlled access weekends were already what normally consitutes for open beta due to number of keys avalible on all sorts of MMO sites. This, sadly is launch, and as far as launches go it's far from perfect. 

Almost every MMO whether F2P or not is nothing more than an open beta for months after release.. Latest example being Defiance.

The only difference is that Cryptic is calling it what it really is.

Almost every MMO whether F2P or not is nothing more than an open beta for months after release.. Latest example being Defiance.

The difference is one is a crappy release, the other is a crappy release with marketing spin.

Cryptic should not be praised for this marketing strategy because at it's heart it's dishonest.  This is not a testing stage, this is what you will get.  It's no more honest than the WarZ stating it was 'just a beta because, no game is ever truly finished...'

Many games have generally been rushed out before, being in what many would call a finished state, and people moaned, but apathy prevailed and it is now the norm, I never imagined we would go further and praise and defend them for the practice!

Got into the game today after a 90minute queue, it's not a bad game from my first 45mins (had other things to do and ~2hrs free).  This launch is no different than many others...it's horrible.

Originally posted by Miblet

The difference is one is a crappy release, the other is a crappy release with marketing spin.

Cryptic should not be praised for this marketing strategy because at it's heart it's dishonest.  This is not a testing stage, this is what you will get.  It's no more honest than the WarZ stating it was 'just a beta because, no game is ever truly finished...'

Many games have generally been rushed out before, being in what many would call a finished state, and people moaned, but apathy prevailed and it is now the norm, I never imagined we would go further and praise and defend them for the practice!

Got into the game today after a 90minute queue, it's not a bad game from my first 45mins (had other things to do and ~2hrs free).  This launch is no different than many others...it's horrible.

No the difference is other companies selling you an 'official release' and still treating you like beta testers. Why not just call the game what it really is? do people really get fooled by 'official release' BS?

I always thought why don't these companies release their games as open beta instead of pretending that they are releasing a complete game for its customers.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Anyone who thinks this game is AAA has never played one. The whole thing stinks of "cheap" and "shallow". Plus "gambling". (Can't think of any other D&D game, ever, where you had to pay to open treasure chests you recovered.)
  • SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

The queue is slowly building my rage.

It took 3+ hours to log into the game in a queue of 7k+ and YES i do have the founder's pack.

If the game has queue when logging into then I have just wasted $60 on it.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

No the difference is other companies selling you an 'official release' and still treating you like beta testers. Why not just call the game what it really is? do people really get fooled by 'official release' BS?

I always thought why don't these companies release their games as open beta instead of pretending that they are releasing a complete game for its customers.

So you really believe they are testing?  Official release doesn't mean they cease working on the title in question.

Their cash shop would suggest otherwise.  Their stance on not wiping from now would suggest otherwise (if they found a major bug that required a wipe would they at this stage?  Or would a workaround be found to circumvent such a wipe?  I think we both know the answer to this).

If a company treats you badly then tell them with your wallet and leave, if you stay it means there is something you saw in the title worthy of your money.  You say companies treat you like a beta tester on many official launches and it annoys you, yet if they had said 'oh it's beta' all is forgiven?  You say I am fooled?  Would prior titles have angered you less if after selling you the game said 'ignore the problems, it's beta'?

No company should be allowed to release in a poor state, not those of the past and not this, the comical aspect of all this is the apathy on show for the problems with queues / crashes etc because the company peddling the wares told you the reason for it is it's beta,  all while taking your money.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Actually, more companies should conduct real beta tests prior to launch so paying customers who chose not to beta test can play at launch without dealing with the usual slew of problems.

Instead, beta testing has become a marketing tool used to sell pre-orders and in most cases does nothing to provide game companies with actionable feedback.

Pretty soon will be at the point where people actually pay extra to alpha test games.... wait that's already happening, my bad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

thread title: " More companies should call their 'official launch' what it really is..an open beta."

So as far as I understand he's ranting on the company that is building Neverwinter to call their open beta (it says so on their website: JOIN OUR OPENBETA!) exactly what it really is.....an open beta?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Sourajit

The queue is slowly building my rage.

It took 3+ hours to log into the game in a queue of 7k+ and YES i do have the founder's pack.

If the game has queue when logging into then I have just wasted $60 on it.

The queue was ridiculous last night. My son sat in queue for 45 minutes last night to get back in game after dinner.

Heroes of the North purchasers are getting priority right now, which a decent perk for the people that spent 200 dollars on a Founder's Pack.

Fired up the game just now and saw there's a 127M patch. Going to hop in and see what kind of queue there is today.

BTW, when is the release date? FAQ just says Early 2013?

UPDATE: No queue. Just logged right in. Fixed, maybe?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

So you really believe they are testing?  Official release doesn't mean they cease working on the title in question.

Their cash shop would suggest otherwise.  Their stance on not wiping from now would suggest otherwise (if they found a major bug that required a wipe would they at this stage?  Or would a workaround be found to circumvent such a wipe?  I think we both know the answer to this).

If a company treats you badly then tell them with your wallet and leave, if you stay it means there is something you saw in the title worthy of your money.  You say companies treat you like a beta tester on many official launches and it annoys you, yet if they had said 'oh it's beta' all is forgiven?  You say I am fooled?  Would prior titles have angered you less if after selling you the game said 'ignore the problems, it's beta'?

No company should be allowed to release in a poor state, not those of the past and not this, the comical aspect of all this is the apathy on show for the problems with queues / crashes etc because the company peddling the wares told you the reason for it is it's beta,  all while taking your money.

The real question here is do you believe companies more when they release the game under pretense of 'official' or 'complete' release and yet you are doing the same...beta testing the game for them and on top of that you pay box price and monthly sub too.

About time companies start being honest.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Muke

thread title: " More companies should call their 'official launch' what it really is..an open beta."

So as far as I understand he's ranting on the company that is building Neverwinter to call their open beta (it says so on their website: JOIN OUR OPENBETA!) exactly what it really is.....an open beta?

I guess people here really have a hard time reading and comprehending. 

No OP is backing up Cryptic for being honest and not fooling people with 'official' release BS. And hoping that more companies admit that their so called releases are nothing more than open beta.

It is amazing how many people here misread OP and thought he is ranting against Cryptic.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney