Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will be any game soon successfully like wow?

Comments

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

GW2 is the only game that comes close. IMO

After max leveling all but elementalist and mesmer. I took a month off. Now I am back on and enjoying it once again. Mesmer is a fun class. :)

GW2 isn't even in the same ballpark. The population of GW2 did not continue to grow. WoW's did.

GW2 sold 3million copy's? hardly a succes.

• Only a game like Nicholas Cage Online would be more succesful than WoW.
  • MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

Like many said, WoW just happened to hit at the right time and with the right content. It also help grow the mmo crowd bringing many diverse players and opinions to it. Sort of like the funnel to the MMO genre.

To answer the question directly tho, no, it won't happen again for many years. I don't even believe for one second that Blizzard itself believes that their new game will live up to the WoW fluke.

But if anyone as come close or actually in my mind as already defeated Wow, it's Facebook. HUGE community, tons of games. Now, they just need to get us to fork 1$ a month for it and voila!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It can happen

What it takes is somebody hitting the sweet spot that will draw in the millions of 'facebook gamers' while at the same time appeal to the average MMORPG gamer. It has to come from an established company with an already good and known reputation

There's a huge market among the social media/mobile gamers. All it takes is for somebody to figure out how to make a game that will draw them in with the mindset that the game is "the cool thing to play and talk about" much like facebook, twitter and instagram is

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

WoW was an anomoly and it isn't a very good game.  In fact if WoW was re-released tomorrow with a different name but kept the same core design it would fail.  Proof is the last 3-4 WoW clones if you don't believe me.

The concept of "proof" of a slippery slope just...

What are they teaching people in school these days?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    I think wildstar is going to steal the market honestly.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

WoW was an anomoly and it isn't a very good game.  In fact if WoW was re-released tomorrow with a different name but kept the same core design it would fail.  Proof is the last 3-4 WoW clones if you don't believe me.

The concept of "proof" of a slippery slope just...

What are they teaching people in school these days?

Obviously, they are teaching our youth to be entitled. Don't you read these boards?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by pmiles

WoW isn't a success story anymore... it's an example of the sad state of gaming these days.  Having subscribers doesn't mean the game is a success... it just means there's nothing better out there atm.

Success is when you run home from work to log in to play and stay logged in until the wee hours of the night without even realizing it.  Success is not logging in because you are bored and have nothing better to do.  Let's see, paint the house or do dailies? I think I will do dailies.

You don't want WoW's "success"... you want a game that you will sell your left kidney to play each and every day no matter what the costs.  There aren't any games out there like that anymore.  If same-old same old is considered a success... then I want no part of it.

Yeah...no MMO is that serious...and WoW was a success to me.

On the other hand, you might have issues, my friend...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by StonesDK

It can happen

What it takes is somebody hitting the sweet spot that will draw in the millions of 'facebook gamers' while at the same time appeal to the average MMORPG gamer. It has to come from an established company with an already good and known reputation

There's a huge market among the social media/mobile gamers. All it takes is for somebody to figure out how to make a game that will draw them in with the mindset that the game is "the cool thing to play and talk about" much like facebook, twitter and instagram is

i see it now... Zynga does a mmo and links to their Zynga network  (think battlenet but more games)

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Never. There will never be another "WOW".

I personally loved WOW (although feel it was the begining of the end for MMORP's being 'deep' and living Worlds.) so I understand the WOW hate from many. But WOW was a damn good game, was creative, challenging (to me) fun and MASSIVE (in terms of playerbase). The most hilarious Guild Drama I have ever seen happened in that game, some of my best memories gaming are from WOW and I readily admit to having a blast with it.

-But I never would have imagined WOW essentially being cloned to death and causing the entire genre to churn out theme parks in hopes of riding on the coat tails of WOWs unpreceneted success.

WOW was a phenominon. Hell, my Grandma knew about WOW- it became a household word. It brought Millions into PC gaming (what effect this has had on our genreis another discussion) so WOWs success was something I have never seen in gaming since Pac man-

But WOW came along during a perfect storm. The "internet" was becoming streamlined, mainstream and cheap. Computers were becoming a nessasity rather than a luxury and the influx of new blood into PC gaming was unprecedented in my experience during that era.

PC gaming was the hobby of Nerds. People who LOVED Computers (not as a mere medium of entertainment) usually played tabletop games and loved deep and copmplex systems- About the time of WOW computers were cheap enough and internet cheap enough that the average joe began coming online in droves and had a different passion and taste than the overall 'PC Gamer ' of old.

And WOW was a perfect point to bridge the gap and make a good, polished, accesable game that was fit for Old School gamers and new alike. Then it became a sensation and the influx of players was amazing...And changed MMORPG's ever since.

Today there is far too much competition and MMO gaming isnt "new" for the masses. to become a household word again would take an entirely new direction for the genre or perhaps an entirely new genre?

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Too many mmos are "successfully like wow"

He is not talking about your fantasies but real life.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    I don't have facebook or any social network for that matter do i miss alot guys?
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by davc123
    i want see   game successfully  like wow  whit great combat style and  open world pvp +pve ...

Possible, but unlikely.  Blizzards World of Warcraft was what is known as a "perfect storm".  It hit at just the right time, with the right content, the right marketing, and the right reputation.  I seriously doubt we will see that again, any time soon.  Especially with how fragmented the gaming audience is becoming.

Wraith nailed it. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    there will be one mmo which will be as successfull as WoW; financially and as a community. it will be WoW 2.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

A polished turd is still a turd.  That is WoW.  They took what worked and "improved" on it.  Is it a success?  Yes, and it is a huge success.  However, that success comes at a price.  The price being the saturation of games that want to be "the next WoW".  WoW has been around for a long time now, and it is my belief that people keep playing for the sake of playing since there is nothing decent out there (Everquest anyone?).

Success, in my opinion, is defined by a game that can continue to make money and keep the game going.  It doesn't matter if it is Subscription, B2P, or F2P.  Going F2P isn't a bad thing, despite what people believe.  It saved SWTOR, it saved DDO and LOTRO.  Regardless of what you believe about those games, they've managed to keep their populations high enough to continue development.

Right now, Guild Wars 2 is indeed the closest to being a "success", but Guild Wars in general already had a firm following to begin with.  There are a few smaller ones that conitnue to thrive.  Plus, you can't ignore the WoW factor.  While there is a lot of people that play WoW for the sake of playing WoW (or hell, they may even enjoy it); there is a fair amount that play other games because it ISN'T WoW.

As far as the near future goes, I'd watch the following:

• Everquest Next
    • Whatever Blizzard is working on
    • Elder Scrolls
    • Wildstar
    • World of Darkness (when / if / hopefully it is released)
    I'm playing Defiance, Occassionally Planestside 2, and League of Legends

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

A polished turd is still a turd.  That is WoW. 

You mean like how League of legends is now?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by jesteralways

A polished turd is still a turd.  That is WoW. 

You mean like how League of legends is now?

Come now, it isn't polished.  They took a lot of rose smelling perfume and sprayed it everywhere!

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

OP, in a word no. WoW sold niche games, MMORPGs, to a very wide cross section of gamers. Forever changing the market. If, something like that happens again, it wont be a MMORPG.

I fear, it will be something in the "social media" sector.

Originally posted by Four0Six

OP, in a word no. WoW sold niche games, MMORPGs, to a very wide cross section of gamers. Forever changing the market. If, something like that happens again, it wont be a MMORPG.

This scares me to no end.  Social Media/Micro transaction games are a bane.  I wouldn't mind a game with social media interaction, but not a full on "World of Farmville" (example).

I hope certain developers backtrack on a decision they're going to make about their game and decide to make it a normal MMO instead of a browser based "social networking" game.

@ OP:  If you're looking for an action packed game, DDO, Defiance, Neverwinter have a fair bit of it.  If you're looking for themepark/quests/story, Secret World or SWTOR.

Outside of that, I really can't recommend much.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Four0Six

This scares me to no end.  Social Media/Micro transaction games are a bane.  I wouldn't mind a game with social media interaction, but not a full on "World of Farmville" (example).

I hope certain developers backtrack on a decision they're going to make about their game and decide to make it a normal MMO instead of a browser based "social networking" game.

@ OP:  If you're looking for an action packed game, DDO, Defiance, Neverwinter have a fair bit of it.  If you're looking for themepark/quests/story, Secret World or SWTOR.

Outside of that, I really can't recommend much.

Scares me as well but its correct. =/

But I think there is hope on the horizen. With tech getting cheaper it is only a matter of time until indies can step in and give us a WORKING Sandbox style virtual world- It will be niche as the market moves more towards casuals, but it will be feasable and will happen at some time (hopefully soon)

• BloortBloort Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

GW2 is the only game that comes close. IMO

After max leveling all but elementalist and mesmer. I took a month off. Now I am back on and enjoying it once again. Mesmer is a fun class. :)

Agreed! And I am a fan of Guild wars 2 and so far this game is the innovative one compare to other games in the market .

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Brimstohn
    So from what you're saying, a "successful game" will have a population that doesn't peak then reduce and you think WoW's population never peaked then reduced.First, I'd wager that WoW has had a higher population in the past than it does now. As many people have said, they "used" to play WoW but they don't any more.  There are still many subscribers, but they are not at their peak, meaning they have reduced population.

Sure, WoW peaked and then reduced; but it grew and grew for many years before peaking. And even now, it hasn't dropped off that much from it's peak (maybe down one third from absolute highest playerbase size).

The vast majority of MMOs released since WoW had their peak playerbase size on release day; they never grew, it was straight into a decline from release onwards.

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    Neverwinter will make more money than wow and it will not take them 10 years

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Beoelf21
    Neverwinter will make more money than wow and it will not take them 10 years
    i lol'd