Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall unholy wars....wow

13»

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by huxflux2003
    Originally posted by Fusion

Graphics.. a matter of opinion/taste. For me, not a reason for hating nor bashing.

Poorly thought out systems, care to be a little more specific?

'awkward controls' seriously? If you cannot adapt, it's not the games fault. Took me about 2-3hrs of gameplay to learn the gimmicks of working the controls fluidly.

Aw, please don't give me this "oh if you don't like it its because you are not good at it" agrument. It is the games fault that it sucks, just like DF1 did (ok, it is a bit improved, but still not a game for 2013). DF1 was so bad and anyone that argued about it was a "loser" and a "noob". Well, guess what? DF1 was pulled 3 years after release, with the servers shutdown. Why did this happen if it was so innovative and fun?

Funny thing is that Aventurine keeps pulling the same stunt and we are all falling for it again and again.

I didn't say anything about not being good at it, but if you cannot cope with the controls given, i don't think the game is at fault in that case (atleast i managed to play with them) - reading comprehension is a gift.

DF1 wasn't bad for me (i played it about 4 months on and off), arguing about matters of flavour/opinion is as futile as arguing about which is better, coke or pepsi.

It wasn't pulled, it got 'redone', you can read upon it on the multiple posts and blog-posts by aventurine as to 'why' it was redone.

what IS a game of 2013? want to give me an example? I can give you an examples of games from more than a decade ago, that are still better than 98% of the crap spewed out in the 21st century (but again, matters of opinion).

That last sentence.. i'll just pass.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

in every other game killing 180 mobs means boring grind TAB+1+2+3+4 all day long.

In DF you get to a spawn and do the 180 WHILE fighting for your right to farm there. You need to defend these spawns and PvP happens and you always got the adrenalin rush that you can lose everything.

Thats a big difference. But ofc they could add more of these quests but which game has everything you need 2 weeks after its released ?

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

It's a lot like Dark Souls (not gameplay wise)

Its probably more like dark souls than other mmo's.

I would recomend darkfall to people who like DayZ, dark souls, planetside. darkfall gets hate from all the people who play mmorpg's, they expect/want unoriginality. it shouldn't even have a forum here.

My blog: image

Originally posted by Consensus

I would recomend darkfall to people who like DayZ, dark souls, planetside. darkfall gets hate from all the people who play mmorpg's, they expect/want unoriginality. it shouldn't even have a forum here.

What i meant was more like, unforgiving, ruthless and sometimes enfuriating, but after overcoming those 'obstacles' superbly rewarding experience. :)

Who it ISN'T for are short-fused, easily frustrated, pixel attached, 'i'm used to this, why can't it be like that', "i want it NOW, not later" kinds of people.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Consensus

What i meant was more like, unforgiving, ruthless and sometimes enfuriating, but after overcoming those 'obstacles' superbly rewarding experience. :)

Who it ISN'T for are short-fused, easily frustrated, pixel attached "i want it NOW, not later" kinds of people.

Exactly this.  Darkfall's play experience is full of emotional peaks and valleys.  Without eating dirt, the nectar would not be so sweet.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I didn't say anything about not being good at it, but if you cannot cope with the controls given, i don't think the game is at fault in that case (atleast i managed to play with them) - reading comprehension is a gift.

ever played qwop? sorry, but controls are sometimes not just a matter of adapting. sometimes they are just bad. i haven't played DFUW, so i can't speak from personal experience, but i would just recommend accepting this as a valid greivance for some people.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    is the population any good? I'm not about to buy the game for 40 bucks, then pay a sub just to find out there are only 10 or so players on at a time..

IMHO I wouldn't pay them 40 bucks for the client from what I have seen of the game.

1.They pressured all former purchasers of their remade game to pre-order by April 12th or wind up having to pay full price for the client AGAIN, regardless of having paid for the original client, instead of just being able to pay the sub fee and jump in.and please dont try the "this is a whole new game thing". Everquest 2 was a whole new game from Everquest and guess what Everquest is still up and running Darkfall 1 not so.

2. The original had a 7 day trial, so after having the original out for 3 years implementing a trial then the remake where is the trial?apparently they want you to pay $40 to see if you like it which to me stinks of cash grab.

Til I see a free trial I personally wont come near this game.

Everquest is developed by Sony Online and Darkfall is developed by Adventurine, an indie company out in Greece. 

The reason this company has a more archaic business model is because they need more upfront revenue. It's also showed.. In the past 2 weeks, they have released huge (500mb+) patches that has really stabilized the game despite it being steam released.   You realize it's probably not easy to get a loan in greece as an SBA right now also? 

Get some perspective and then gripe about your entitlements, not the other way around. 

Originally posted by atticusbc

ever played qwop? sorry, but controls are sometimes not just a matter of adapting. sometimes they are just bad. i haven't played DFUW, so i can't speak from personal experience, but i would just recommend accepting this as a valid greivance for some people.

Actually i have, record was about 50ish meters, it's not about bad controls, it's about learning/mastering them or giving up. QWOP is a 'learn/master it or fail" game, it's not BAD because some people can't QWOP :D

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Yeah the question of whether or not controls can be objectively bad is kind of irrelevant because I promise that 90% of the people complaining about the controls haven't taken the time to learn them.

I personally love the way it's all set up. I like loading up abilities and then activating them with a mouse click, rather than just a 1-hit activation like in most games. That way I can queue something up before the cooldown is up. Also I can keep common skills like mana to stamina loaded at all times.

• ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

Yeah the question of whether or not controls can be objectively bad is kind of irrelevant because I promise that 90% of the people complaining about the controls haven't taken the time to learn them.

I personally love the way it's all set up. I like loading up abilities and then activating them with a mouse click, rather than just a 1-hit activation like in most games. That way I can queue something up before the cooldown is up. Also I can keep common skills like mana to stamina loaded at all times.

Yeah it takes getting used to, but I actually enjoy the Q-E Radial system

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    By the way, you can bind keys to individual abilities on each radial. For instance, I have Q set to left radial, first abilitiy. I have C set to right radial, first ability. So basically you don't have to switch back and forth between radials, but can still load up skills and use tem as needed.
  • MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

I personally really like the controls too.  I played DF1 and you HAD to have macros to play that game.  There were just to many skills you HAD to use to not use them.  In DFUW macros are not needed AT ALL!!!  Personaly tho I use a razor naga mouse and love all the extra bindable keys on the side of the mouse.  I receomend you look into getting a good gaming mouse and rebinding the controls to that if you have problems.  If you don't like the original keybinds thats ok cuz they are ALL rebindable.  I sure move mine all around.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Controls in DFUW are worse than in DF. My biggest complaint is I can't switch weapons/tools by just scrolling up/down, but have to press a key. I mean 1st I need to scroll and 2nd I gotta press a key. Yeah, at first glance it doesn't look like a big issue, but it's 2 times more operations for the same option. Just imagine how many times you switch between weapons. Or in combat where even a split second is important, you waste your time on this extra operation.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Controls in DFUW are worse than in DF. My biggest complaint is I can't switch weapons/tools by just scrolling up/down, but have to press a key. I mean 1st I need to scroll and 2nd I gotta press a key. Yeah, at first glance it doesn't look like a big issue, but it's 2 times more operations for the same option. Just imagine how many times you switch between weapons. Or in combat where even a split second is important, you waste your time on this extra operation.

You're doing it wrong. You need to keybind your 8 item slots. I bound them to 1-7 + my mouse's side button for the 8th slot which I use for my mount.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Op i agree. I cant remeber the last time i wanted to play an mmo so much. Its how mmos should be, huge open worlds. I actualy wanted my money back in beta but since launch the game has been amazing (apart from the ping issues).

The thought of playing themepark games now doesnt interest me one bit. Having a blast with my guild Zerg mercs and the comunity is great. (But they all want your head).

Well done av and please try this game.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I was a big fan of the origional game.. but not of this..

For me it is missing somthing and i just cant bring myself to play it.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I was a big fan of the origional game.. but not of this..

For me it is missing somthing and i just cant bring myself to play it.

Well, there are tangible things that DFUW is missing compared to DF1:

> The number of small islands - don't underestimate this change - it's difficult to get away from a clan city now. It used to be easy to be in the middle of knowhere.

> The quests (they are now acheivements, but even so).

> The chaos cities.

> The large map that was reducible and you could make semi-transparent.

> Sharks and other water mobs.

> The map used to be slightly bigger.