Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: If ESO costs $15/month, will you play it?

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I will buy it and play it for the first month.  After that, we'll see.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Iselin

You sound like an old-fart just like me image

I also want to add that even though I could afford to have monthly subs to more than a couple of them, I only ever sub to one at any given time. When I play an MMO I enjoy it much more if I can commit my play time to it. I like to get really into them and learn how to play them as best as I can.

Yup, just turned 46 and sliding toward 50... image

And that's how I do it. I try to just have one sub so I can commit to a game.

I used to have several subs but I found that I would be paying several months before I even logged into a game and that's just not a great use of my money.

However, exceptions can always be made.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

will buy and play

then continue to play or not play, depending how good it is.

Logic ?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    If its fun ill play it fee or not.  I'm not one of the dumpster diving mmo players that plays games they say are crap so long as its F2P.
  • rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    If it is close to a TES DAOC...and done well, I'd pay 50 per month to play.  If it is yet another lame hand-holding-try-to-please-everyone MMO, then I won't play it if you pay me.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Just join the beta and from that you can see whether to buy it or not.

I will join beta, make my decision during that time. If its fun I will pay with no problems as $15 a month for a good MMORPG would be nothing, every MMO I play nowadays free, buy to play, pay to play only last me 1 month or less as I get bored or find out the game was shallow and quit.

ESO is the only hope in 2013.

Archeage is not going to be ready by 2013 and also it will never be good as its an Eastern game being translated to the West. That means it will always be behind in content and slow for updates to reach us, also we have little say on changes to the game since it is only being ported to the West.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by khameleon

Just join the beta and from that you can see whether to buy it or not.

I will join beta, make my decision during that time. If its fun I will pay with no problems as $15 a month for a good MMORPG would be nothing, every MMO I play nowadays free, buy to play, pay to play only last me 1 month or less as I get bored or find out the game was shallow and quit.

ESO is the only hope in 2013.

Archeage is not going to be ready by 2013 and also it will never be good as its an Eastern game being translated to the West. That means it will always be behind in content and slow for updates to reach us, also we have little say on changes to the game since it is only being ported to the West.

Wildstar is the only other MMO this year I am really intrested in. Has a lot of awesome features for PvP and PvE much like ESO. But both with a different direction. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Looking at the modern trend of newly released mmo's we can safely say that it aint worth it anymore to pay full price when they all go free to play within 2 /4 months.

Arenanet showed that you can make a decent mmo without a sub, you could try and make it pay to play.....but what good is that when you lose 50% of your playerbase and all forums are filled with bad posts about said mmo.

Warhammer
    Aion
    Starwars
    Secret world

all tried to make it sub based....and all failed to retain their players.

You have to make a very very special kind of mmo to retain a sub based game, where in the past people where happy with a little bit of contend each few months.
    These days players demand montly based contend or they quit / unsub untill something better comes along.

ESO will not be that special snowfloke
    Archeage will not be that special snowfloke
    FF same
    Wildstar same...

way to generic mmo's altough some have very interesting features....but not enough to warrant 15 euro a month.

kinda sad if you look at it, as Blizzard showed the world that if you come with a good mmo at the right time, you can conquer the world.

It seems that the lifespan of a themepark mmo in their peak is at release...mostly created by hype.
    After the hype settles down massive exodus starts and creates a domino effect untill the next best mmo comes out.

A studio needs to create something very special these days to keep its players glued or witness the same fate as all other mmo's of the past decade that flop right after the other one's.

If i should pick a mmo that might be that special snowfloke my money would be on CCP's World of Darkness.
    CCP has shown how dedicated they are to produce a niche mmo and increased their playerbase from launch into their second decade with more and more subs.

Their sandbox is truly a special snowfloke, and looking at WOD only confirms they do not rush their games out of the door for profit.
    They want it to be exactly where they want it to be before releasing.
    No presure on devs, just love for what they do.

A decade ago we had Blizzard.....but we can all see what $$$$ can do to even the best gaming studios.
    But thats another story :)

I hope ESA will do well, but from what i have seen so far, its mmmo #3212445 that goes 2 million subs on launch and drops as fast as they gained it.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    I don't think the sub model matters to me. I expect this game to hold my interest for a month, just like GW2 and every other game that has basically the same stuff on paper. It might surprise me, but I doubt it seeing how the end game is RvR (like GW2). 
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

MMO's, gameplay-wise, are always best when they are fresh. Everyone is still trying to figure stuff out and everything is still novel so no one is boringly facerolling content just to rush through it. Of course bugs and other typical issues after a release are a negative, but unless the launch is just terrible, it usually isn't that big of a deal.

I will buy the game purely because it's TES online, even though I expect nothing about it to play like the single-player game. As an MMO it must inherently be a different game. I have been playing TES since Arena back in 1994 when I was 13 years old, so of course I'll buy the MMO version right off the bat.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

As much as it has irked me to throw down box price/sub and then watched as my money was ushered away by a gale of disappointment, I still prefer the subscription model for the very simple reason that I enjoy inventory space. The day I pay 5-10 euros for one bag on one character is the day I wrestle with a tiger shark in a massive vat of pork fat and dead mimes.

In my ideal world there would be trials and/or freemium options from the get-go, I have found that I simply cannot trust the majority of reviewers. Sometimes the reviews are accurate but they don't touch on the nuances of what would make the game enjoyable to me, like a well-greased and optimized game engine that doesn't require God's CPU to run in certain important circumstances. (*cough* GW2)

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

"No - I will wait until it goes F2P - 30.8%"

As if.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Assuming the professional reviews on release day are great

These results are shocking to be honest. 38% of the potential playerbase has not learned a thing...

congratulations in leading the economy Not away from pre-orders.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I clicked show results..

If the game is good i would have no issues at all paying monthly for it.. if its not very good it will go f2p and wont be worth playing anyway..

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Yes yes and yes
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Now that CU has funded, I've realized I don't have much interest in subbing to yet another PvE MMO with a mediocre RvR system tacked on which in all likelihood I will cancel 2-3 months after release. TESO will need either to be B2P or the AvA will need to completely blow me away in beta to make me want to buy it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Yes of course.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I will wait, the game has to be EXTREMELY good for me to pay a sub on it.

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

Yes, yes I would.

I don't really get the "against sub" attitude, you end up spending more on little crap that doesnt last a day on a weekend or just hanging out with friends so 15 bucks for a month's gameplay and to sustain the continued development of a game that I like is very very reasonable imho.

I also don't mind B2P like GW2 however and the addition of cash shops as long as its not thrown into ur face every 5 minutes (minus P2W items).

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Now that CU has funded, I've realized I don't have much interest in subbing to yet another PvE MMO with a mediocre RvR system tacked on which in all likelihood I will cancel 2-3 months after release. TESO will need either to be B2P or the AvA will need to completely blow me away in beta to make me want to buy it.

What makes you think the game is going to come out soon if it just got funded? Couild be years for all you know.

Skip on Everquest Next and Elder Scrolls Online if you wish, I think you'd be missing out though.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    P2P,B2P,F2P or any other model have no effect on me, if the game is fun I will play it.
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    With a game of the rank of Gw2 requiring no subs I can show all other money hungry companies the middle finger. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by hMJem

What makes you think the game is going to come out soon if it just got funded? Couild be years for all you know.

Skip on Everquest Next and Elder Scrolls Online if you wish, I think you'd be missing out though.

I'm aware CU won't be out until December 2015 give or take a year. It's just that now that I know it will actually happen I don't feel much urge to spend 2-3 months and ~$75 finding out that TESO is another disappointing PvE/RvR hybrid MMO in the tradition of WAR and GW 2. If it exceeds expectations (based on reviews especially from other players who played DAOC or my own experiences in beta), I'll certainly reconsider and buy it.

EQ Next... not my type of MMO at all.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Nope.  I'm done with sub-based games.  RIP.  I will buy a game.  I will buy an expansion.  But I will no longer pay a fee to play a game that I already bought.  You can keep paying them for nothing.  But I'm done with it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by hMJem

I'm aware CU won't be out until December 2015 give or take a year. It's just that now that I know it will actually happen I don't feel much urge to spend 2-3 months and ~$75 finding out that TESO is another disappointing PvE/RvR hybrid MMO in the tradition of WAR and GW 2. If it exceeds expectations (based on reviews especially from other players who played DAOC or my own experiences in beta), I'll certainly reconsider and buy it.

EQ Next... not my type of MMO at all.

Do you know something about EQ Next that the rest of us don't? There are zero details about it but you already think it's not your type of MMO at all?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED