Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legendary FAIL of EPIC scale!

Comments

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by aesperus
    This is open beta. The only fail is the OP. this is when they stress the servers, and find bugs to fix. 

If anyone can start playing the game today without worrying about character wipes, it's a "launch".  

We really need to stop sticking up for companies who release unfinished products then hide behind terms like "soft launch" or "open beta".

I'm sorry, but some issues just need a live test audience to figure out. What you're talking about is essentially that games based around living, breathing social dynamics should be flawless before they even get a chance to interact with said people on a large scale.

That's jut not realistic, and impossible. How quickly we forget that even games like WoW had massive issues at launch. ANY form of public mass-service is going to have issues when it's first exposed. Videogame or not. The more complex a thing is, the more issues you can expect to see. It's a nature of the beast.

Trust me, I understand the issues that come with MMO launches and would never expect any MMO to have a flawless launch.  My point is that I find it fairly pathetic that Cryptic (or PW) is calling the launch an "open beta soft launch" to avoid any accountability when it comes to quality. 

Lol name a AAA titles that went full launch without an open beta stress test. The closed beta had people singing praise. Today was the launch of an open beta stress test. Just like countless games before it have had. Just because cryptic made a business decision to try to make their customers happy and allow them to keep their characters after this process does not change the fact that today's launch is not an official live launch but a beta test launch for a game that does not require a physical purchase.

Clearly, you are missing my point.  Let's put it this way, if I can start playing the game today without worry of a character wipe, how is that different then an actual "launch"

Stop sticking up for mediocrity, we deserve better.  

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by fat_taddler  
    Trust me, I understand the issues that come with MMO launches and would never expect any MMO to have a flawless launch.  My point is that I find it fairly pathetic that Cryptic (or PW) is calling the launch an "open beta soft launch" to avoid any accountability when it comes to quality.   
    LOL if you have been around the industry for awhile and played many f2p games, these soft launch/open betas are pretty standard practice..
    I have been playing MMO's since 2003.  Admittedly I do not play a lot of F2P games but I do pay attention to what's coming out and I have never seen an "open beta soft launch". 

I've seen soft launches and I've certainly seen open betas but this new tactic is another example of the genre taking a step in the wrong direction.

I have been around for some time and i agree that it is common practice for F2P too call their first release stage open beta but you should not care, it's seems too be some kind of psychological trick for some kind of people, you will see ever so often if someone on these boards calls out a game and it's in the open beta/beta weekend stage, the game will be defended by some rabid fans with the excuse that it's "Beta!".

They themselves seem too cling at some hope that the game will take a turn too the better in the coming few weeks till the release. I saw it so many times and it never ever happens.

Let them in that illusion, they will only disappoint themselves.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev
    If you alt-tab or minimize while in que (5000 average) it will reset you to 50000+!!!!!!

Its a display issue, Probably wasnt picked up in closed beta because there was never enough players for a queue.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by Aerowyn

LOL if you have been around the industry for awhile and played many f2p games, these soft launch/open betas are pretty standard practice..
    I have been playing MMO's since 2003.  Admittedly I do not play a lot of F2P games but I do pay attention to what's coming out and I have never seen an "open beta soft launch". 

I've seen soft launches and I've certainly seen open betas but this new tactic is another example of the genre taking a step in the wrong direction.

I have been around for some time and i agree that it is common practice for F2P too call their first release stage open beta but you should not care, it's seems too be some kind of psychological trick for some kind of people, you will see ever so often if someone on these boards calls out a game and it's in the open beta/beta weekend stage, the game will be defended by some rabid fans with the excuse that it's "Beta!".

They themselves seem too cling at some hope that the game will take a turn too the better in the coming few weeks till the release. I saw it so many times and it never ever happens.

Let them in that illusion, they will only disappoint themselves.

doesn't really matter to me what people call it.. characters aren't getting wiped and that's all that matters to me.. also doesn't matter if this is open beta/launch whatever, any popular game and especially one with a big IP + F2P is going to have their servers HAMMERED during the first week or so.. doesn't matter what they do, how much they prepare, or what equipment they have there will be problems its just the nature of computer systems.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

This is open beta. The only fail is the OP. this is when they stress the servers, and find bugs to fix. 

If anyone can start playing the game today without worrying about character wipes, it's a "launch".  

We really need to stop sticking up for companies who release unfinished products then hide behind terms like "soft launch" or "open beta".

I'm sorry, but some issues just need a live test audience to figure out. What you're talking about is essentially that games based around living, breathing social dynamics should be flawless before they even get a chance to interact with said people on a large scale.

That's jut not realistic, and impossible. How quickly we forget that even games like WoW had massive issues at launch. ANY form of public mass-service is going to have issues when it's first exposed. Videogame or not. The more complex a thing is, the more issues you can expect to see. It's a nature of the beast.

I pretty much agree, but unfortunately they think that the Open Beta tag will save them from scorn. Fortunately the game is in good condition, could do with a few more classes, and its having teething issues like any newly launched game, but its pretty solid. They didn't need to call it Open Beta. It just confuses people who arent familiar with F2P definitions of 'beta'.

Originally posted by evilastro

I pretty much agree, but unfortunately they think that the Open Beta tag will save them from scorn. Fortunately the game is in good condition, could do with a few more classes, and its having teething issues like any newly launched game, but its pretty solid. They didn't need to call it Open Beta. It just confuses people who arent familiar with F2P definitions of 'beta'.

i don't really see that.. maybe if this was the only game doing this but like I said above these extended open betas/soft launches are almost universal with f2p games.. i honestly can't think of a single one I have played(and I played a lot) that didn't do this.. it's pretty much just how they release these games.. they go into a very extended open beta period then launch and usually don't wipe..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by -aLpHa-   Originally posted by fat_taddler Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by fat_taddler  
    I have been playing MMO's since 2003.  Admittedly I do not play a lot of F2P games but I do pay attention to what's coming out and I have never seen an "open beta soft launch".    I've seen soft launches and I've certainly seen open betas but this new tactic is another example of the genre taking a step in the wrong direction.  
      I have been around for some time and i agree that it is common practice for F2P too call their first release stage open beta but you should not care, it's seems too be some kind of psychological trick for some kind of people, you will see ever so often if someone on these boards calls out a game and it's in the open beta/beta weekend stage, the game will be defended by some rabid fans with the excuse that it's "Beta!". They themselves seem too cling at some hope that the game will take a turn too the better in the coming few weeks till the release. I saw it so many times and it never ever happens. Let them in that illusion, they will only disappoint themselves.
    doesn't really matter to me what people call it.. characters aren't getting wiped and that's all that matters to me.. also doesn't matter if this is open beta/launch whatever, any popular game and especially one with a big IP + F2P is going to have their servers HAMMERED during the first week or so.. doesn't matter what they do, how much they prepare, or what equipment they have there will be problems its just the nature of computer systems.

Of course their server are getting hammered the first few days/weeks, i never stated otherwise. I just don't see eye to eye with people pulling the "it's Beta, deal with it" card.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    ¿que?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Of course their server are getting hammered the first few days/weeks, i never stated otherwise. I just don't see eye to eye with people pulling the "it's Beta, deal with it" card.

i get that although as you can see my reply above to evilastro this is just how f2p games operate.. i think a lot has to do with their revenue model or they get to a point they need to start generate some revenue to continue development of the game so they go into a open beta/soft launch to generate some cash. Just a guess by i'd say these f2p games have a MUCH lower $ amount invested into them and need to get some sort of return much faster than a b2p or P2P game.. 

as for the its only beta excuse i dunno in a way it is and in a way its not.. but for me all MMOs are always in a state of open beta in some way or another i guess..

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

What i find a bit bizzar is so many people playing it that hit this forum and complain about logging in but said the game would suck, why play a sucky game , oh wait.. ;)

On another note I do find it odd I have had 3 request from old guilds saying "we are going to neverwinter" sleeper hit i guess, I won't dive into it but alas interesting.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by chaintm

What i find a bit bizzar is so many people playing it that hit this forum and complain about logging in but said the game would suck, why play a sucky game , oh wait.. ;)

On another note I do find it odd I have had 3 request from old guilds saying "we are going to neverwinter" sleeper hit i guess, I won't dive into it but alas interesting.

¿que bizzar?

Does the bizzar have a queue?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    If you alt-tab or minimize while in que (5000 average) it will reset you to 50000+!!!!!!

Hey, so when do I need to start worrying about the sky falling down?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

i don't really see that.. maybe if this was the only game doing this but like I said above these extended open betas/soft launches are almost universal with f2p games.. i honestly can't think of a single one I have played(and I played a lot) that didn't do this.. it's pretty much just how they release these games.. they go into a very extended open beta period then launch and usually don't wipe..

I know it is F2P standard, but there really is no reason to call it Open Beta other than offering a clumsy shield against attacks on the quality of the game. So they can say 'Oh but its beta! It will be so much more polished at launch!'.  Look at the massive changes to most MMOs in the first 6 months, but none of those are called beta. Its launch, MMOs change. Calling it Open Beta won't save you from public criticism once you open it up to them. May as well just call a spade a spade and call it launch.

I know it is F2P standard, but there really is no reason to call it Open Beta other than offering a clumsy shield against attacks on the quality of the game. So they can say 'Oh but its beta! It will be so much more polished at launch!'.  Look at the massive changes to most MMOs in the first 6 months, but none of those are called beta. Its launch, MMOs change. Calling it Open Beta won't save you from public criticism once you open it up to them. May as well just call a spade a spade and call it launch.

i know my only point is if people know its standard for f2p games to do this it should be no surprise at all this game did this.. and like I said to a reply above i think it has a lot to do with their revenue model and how much money they actually get invested to the game before they need to returning some bigger revenue than just founders packs..

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Lol name a AAA titles that went full launch without an open beta stress test. The closed beta had people singing praise. Today was the launch of an open beta stress test. Just like countless games before it have had. Just because cryptic made a business decision to try to make their customers happy and allow them to keep their characters after this process does not change the fact that today's launch is not an official live launch but a beta test launch for a game that does not require a physical purchase.

Clearly, you are missing my point.  Let's put it this way, if I can start playing the game today without worry of a character wipe, how is that different then an actual "launch"

Stop sticking up for mediocrity, we deserve better.  

Your point is moot. If the product sucks, it would fail on it's own. A soft launch is a good thing. 

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Rangeronesix

Actually, it won't.  I've been alt tabbing all night working while I wait for the que, and I'm currently < 100.

Just alt-tabbed to check, I'm at 53.

I was just reset alt+tab is evil. it is a bug so not everyone gets it...i am one of the lucky ones =P

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

easy fix switch to window mode and it wont affect your queue everytime you feel like doing something else but watch the damn queue screen.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Rangeronesix

Actually, it won't.  I've been alt tabbing all night working while I wait for the que, and I'm currently < 100.

Just alt-tabbed to check, I'm at 53.

Just had it happen myself (while browsing the forums here), but the next position in queue was back to my actual place in (long waiting) line.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The OP is WAY overreacting since this is a display bug and does not really move you down the line.

However having said that I don't agree with all the people calling this beta.  Call me old school but the moment you start taking peoples money (pre-orders are a bit different) and as soon as you start to let progress count forever you have launched your game.  We as gamers shouldn't be so quick to give developers a easy out button by letting them eat their cake (collect revenue) and have it to (excuse any issues by calling it beta).  They can have one or the other but not both.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This guy is spot on! beta is always a term used by fanbois to defend their precious as a scapegoat.

Answer me this... if it is beta... why do they have a fully functioning cash shop in place for you to spend hard currency in? Sure charge up your Zen and spend it and see if they refund it because the game is "testing"

This is a soft launch... anyone who does not see this is delusional...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

So many whiners in MMORPG land these days ............

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148

Tried to log in earlier tonight and I was #57431 in line, Just tried again and it said #17428... kinda long lines don't you think?

I didn't alt-tab or anything, just logged in  from the log in screen and it is a rediculous high number especially this late at night...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by udon

The OP is WAY overreacting since this is a display bug and does not really move you down the line.

However having said that I don't agree with all the people calling this beta.  Call me old school but the moment you start taking peoples money (pre-orders are a bit different) and as soon as you start to let progress count forever you have launched your game.  We as gamers shouldn't be so quick to give developers a easy out button by letting them eat their cake (collect revenue) and have it to (excuse any issues by calling it beta).  They can have one or the other but not both.

It's standard F2P game practice. Launch as Open Beta and keep it that way, so they can practically get away with everything.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I have to agree with you on this, Beta = testing phase and does not cost anything, Release = taking money for playing (e.g subscription/item shops or other income based layouts).

To me also, as soon as they start taking money it cannot be classed as any form of BETA, it can and will only be classed as RELEASE.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Manestream

I have to agree with you on this, Beta = testing phase and does not cost anything, Release = taking money for playing (e.g subscription/item shops or other income based layouts).

To me also, as soon as they start taking money it cannot be classed as any form of BETA, it can and will only be classed as RELEASE.

Agreed, this "Open Beta" label is a complete joke.

PW/Cryptic have taken MMO marketing to new lows. I have to grudgingly admire them for using F2P to its maximum advantage.

Get the Cash Shop working smoothly, we can worry about the actual game later. And if the Cash Shop doesn't generate good returns, we don't even have to worry about wasting time on the game.