Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game has not launched

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Those people whining and crying  about 20k people in a queue and rubber banding. Have you already forgotten, today is not launch day. Today is open BETA TESTING  day. Also many times known as STRESS TESTING. Enjoy your time trying to help the developers stress test  their servers.  Beta testing is not about your enjoyment. The game has not officially launched. When it does. I bet you will see  ore servers added.

So everyone claiming this was a bad launch? Apparently you don't understand the game has not launched. Stop getting ahead of the release and go enjoy test mode.

Comments

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Logic will not be tolerated on these forums.  Bring back the troll posts!
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The second they started accepting money in the in-game store was the second the game launched. To clarify, I haven't given this game a dime, but to say that this game is a "soft launch" or still in "open beta" is just a mincing of words and a clever way to hide the obvious issues they knew they would have ahead of time because they didn't want to dish out money for arcitecture.

Joined - July 2004

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by remyburke

The second they started accepting money in the in-game store was the second the game launched. To clarify, I haven't given this game a dime, but to say that this game is a "soft launch" or still in "open beta" is just a mincing of words and a clever way to hide the obvious issues they knew they would have ahead of time because they didn't want to dish out money for arcitecture.

You pay money for pre orders as well.  No today is not launch day.  Regardless of how you want to see it. You are in beta test mode open beta at that which means stress test mode.

all these cries of fouling up some fantasizes launch is  ludicrous. 

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Don't be ignorant, you can pay money even for the promise of making a game, before it's even a game (Kickstarter and such). Some people pay 10,000 dollars for the promise of naming a tavern and deciding an item's stats in those games, even before the game even has any graphics to look at, which proves your point moot.

When is a game launched? When the company that makes it declares it launched. Not a minute before, and not a minute after.

Today it was the first day of Open Beta stress testing and there are millions of people over the globe trying to get in because DnD is a juicy IP, and because the game is looking very gorgeous. Whenever the game really launches there won't be these problems.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

today is a launh day, and everyone saying otherwise is a fool, there wont be wipe and its called open beta instead of release exactly for this reason, to avoid bad launch, since it isnt launch its a beta, and look its working, silly people living under rock are buying that

this was even covered by 20 press websites, how they are using " open beta " to avoid bad launch press and release with buggy game, and stay in open beta for god knows how long, there is no release date for the game, that enters open beta? sure thing,

game just launched

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Or it's open beta and you don't know what you're talking about.  There's always that.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

I agree that today si more or less launch.  When you have early access to an open beta with no character wipe...its a launch.

I will say this:  this afternoon...lag and rubber banding.  they brought the servers down and now its completely gone for me.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Smikis

today is a launh day, and everyone saying otherwise is a fool, there wont be wipe and its called open beta instead of release exactly for this reason, to avoid bad launch, since it isnt launch its a beta, and look its working, silly people living under rock are buying that

this was even covered by 20 press websites, how they are using " open beta " to avoid bad launch press and release with buggy game, and stay in open beta for god knows how long, there is no release date for the game, that enters open beta? sure thing,

game just launched

Lol the developers had a running countdown to OPEN BETA ..not official launch. So I would say your the one being silly by you proclaiming to know what today was in regards to this game more so than the developers themselves do.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Anyone expecting an online service to "launch" without any possible hiccups is a silly pants who merely wishes to get all upset about something. Test and beta till you're blue in the face, issues can still arise. Thus is the world of internet, servers, and software.This has been pretty smooth in all actuality. Well, for me at least. 

Find something real to put all that energy behind. You might just change the world for the better. :) 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    And the difference between open beta and 'launch' will be what exactly?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I agree with you completely.

Fans trying to defend the game will always use the beta excuse. I mean, I expected it and have played so many MMOs at launch that this doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm only posting because I'm waiting in the queue, not because I'm trying to hate. But.. everyone can play, the cash shop is open and there is no chatacter wipe. The game is launched.. the 'beta' bit just means it's been launched before it was finished. It's an excuse to start generating mass revenue early.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

The game is released to the public and they make revenue, hiding behind a title like open beta doesn't impress me nor does it change my opinion about it, what you see is what you get.

Delusional people are delusional.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    almost all F2P games do this.. gpotato games, aeria games, Nexxon, all the big F2P companies do extended soft launches/open betas and many times they go on for 6 months+ and generally no character wipes once they hit that stage also.. my guess is since NWO is one of the first more "mainstream" f2p releases many people don't understand this sort of "soft launch"/open beta is standard practice for these types of games

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    And the difference between open beta and 'launch' will be what exactly?

The developer says, 'Launch' instead of 'Open Beta'.

It's the same thing these days, but the fans want people to believe it isn't. Unless it's a game they don't like, then that game has 'launched', and isn't 'open beta'.

So really it depends if you like the game or not which one it is.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    almost all F2P games do this.. gpotato games, aeria games, Nexxon, all the big F2P companies do extended soft launches/open betas and many times they go on for 6 months+ and generally no character wipes ones that hit that stage also.. my guess is since NWO is one of the first more "mainstream" f2p releases many people don't understand this sorf of "soft launch"/open beta is standard practice for these types of games

Just because it's the standard doesn't mean we should forgive them for taking people's money when they know full well the game isn't finished. There are plus sides to it.. if they didn't do it we wouldn't get to play it as early. That can backfire though on the games popularity if the 'soft launch' problems are really bad.

It's the exact opposite of the "when it's ready" approach some devs take. Everyone is now getting a lackluster experience and a bad first impression of what the game is 'supposed' to be and they have a right to complain because many have put money into something they can't play properly.

It might be standard practice but it's still ethically wrong.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TerrawenTerrawen Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Anyone can join the game at this point and there won't be a character wipe. I do not mean to target and attack anyone, but you're being naive if you believe that that does not equal launch. The reason they're doing it like this, as already stated in this thread, is to avoid bad press from having a laggy launch day as per the norm with MMORPGs. Once the dust settles and they resolve the lag issues they will then announce that it's officially launched and claim that they had a smooth, lag-free launch, which is sort of deceptive.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Vannor
    almost all F2P games do this.. gpotato games, aeria games, Nexxon, all the big F2P companies do extended soft launches/open betas and many times they go on for 6 months+ and generally no character wipes ones that hit that stage also.. my guess is since NWO is one of the first more "mainstream" f2p releases many people don't understand this sorf of "soft launch"/open beta is standard practice for these types of games

Just because it's the standard doesn't mean we should forgive them for taking people's money when they know full well the game isn't finished. There are plus sides to it.. if they didn't do it we wouldn't get to play it as early. That can backfire though on the games popularity if the 'soft launch' problems are really bad.

It's the exact opposite of the "when it's ready" approach some devs take. Everyone is now getting a lackluster experience and a bad first impression of what the game is 'supposed' to be and they have a right to complain because many have put money into something they can't play properly.

What money was taken? Free game. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Vannor

not sure what game you are playing but this one is pretty damn polished for a f2p game.. i have been playing f2p since runes first came out and this one is far and away one of the most "finished" state f2p games I have seen at this stage.. also like said above if you feel this free game doesn't warrant any money spent on it don't spend anything and just play the game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I would just state a simple comment;

"what was on the offical pre-orders (founder packages) for the day they could join in? did it say beta or launch?" point moot.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Do you think they will wipe before launch?
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    well for those that forgot, the statement on the founders was be in on the game 3 days prior to launch. And before that it offered beta for stated dates. So whatever, it is what it is. This whole convo is silly they are for all notions of a live game in launch statues everything points to that. hey I got friends asking me to join the game in old guilds, I won't I have no real interest, but I do follow stuff in the forums here for any game that did hold some interest to me, this being one of them, but atm ? nah I will wait.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39

What they "call it" is irrelevant. It is what it is.  Marvel Heros isnt a MMO, but the website says it is. Its an arpg with a lobby that has an "area" that you can see more than 3 people. Do you guys want to argue that it is because "They say so on the website"?

Saying it's open beta is the lamest crap ever. I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that this is way more of a "launch" for Cryptic/PWE than changing a staus on the website sometime in the future. Public entry plus cash shop= launch. But this shouldn't even matter. These companies are not new. This isn't their first launch. There is no excuse for this when they are taking money. Having "some" issues is to be expected. Telling people they can play the game when they clearly can't is another. That example posted up above for AO WAS FROM 2001! 2001! Mmos are having the same issues 12 years later. Not acceptable.

I was never expecting to come to this site and see a reason for anything to be "Cuz they said so"

Turn off the cash shop and ok you can call it a beta. What part of "testing" = profit exactly?  

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

From MMObomb.com:

Neverwinter has gotten one of those newfangled open beta launch dates. The kind where it’s officially out, but not really. I always chuckle when a game goes into open beta release and a major issue (or lack of feature) crops up and people say “but its still in beta!” Meanwhile the developers are busy collecting that sweet sweet cash shop money.

http://www.mmobomb.com/news/neverwinter-gets-open-beta-launch-date/

When I create an MMO, I am going to give it some vague release date (early 2013) and then launch it, take peoples money and work on bugs until I think I have all the initial complaints worked out and then I will announce an actual release date so my fanbois will be able to say all my issues were because of beta.  After I hit my actual release date, I will continue to take peoples money and work on bugs but this will be different because this time it is an actual launch and not just a beta.  In other words, there will be no difference between a launch and a beta except I will call it by two different names. 

Honestly, besides the queue issues, how much fixing do you think is going to happen between now and May or early June when the game "launches"?  Oh, I forgot, there will be a miracle patch after launch that will fix all the beta issues just like in every other MMO. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Despite the bitter tone of your post, it has not been released.  They won't be doing any character wipes (as of April 25th) so your purchases won't be wasted.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Rivers were cried and I didnt care. Game is up, stable and queues are normal for any game that is popular even long after launch.