Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we old farts a dying breed?

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Normandy7
    Agreed. The younger generation wants the instant gratification instead of earning it. They think it is called grind when you don't accomplish something within 2 hours. MMOs are about the journey to the destination and if it takes me over a year to reach that then so be it. Atleast I know my money was well spent. Today it is about paying to be super powerful and clear the game in a weekend. Pretty pathetic!
    Not necessarily the "Younguns." I see plenty of posts about "I don't have the time I used to have to play them. I want to accomplish things in the very limited time I have to play."

As to the OP, everyday we all get closer to death :) Aside from that, the players seeking virtual worlds are in the minority now. I don't see that changing anytime soon. As many divorcees plead, "But I have become accustomed to this lifestyle (game style)." Once you get things very quickly, it takes a special person to be able to back off from that with any sense of satisfaction.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Agreed. The younger generation wants the instant gratification instead of earning it. They think it is called grind when you don't accomplish something within 2 hours. MMOs are about the journey to the destination and if it takes me over a year to reach that then so be it. Atleast I know my money was well spent. Today it is about paying to be super powerful and clear the game in a weekend. Pretty pathetic!

Not necessarily the "Younguns." I see plenty of posts about "I don't have the time I used to have to play them. I want to accomplish things in the very limited time I have to play."

As to the OP, everyday we all get closer to death :) Aside from that, the players seeking virtual worlds are in the minority now. I don't see that changing anytime soon. As many divorcees plead, "But I have become accustomed to this lifestyle (game style)." Once you get things very quickly, it takes a special person to be able to back off from that with any sense of satisfaction.

Well said, although I believe the younger gen is the majority. I didnt have a ton of time back then either and I was perfectly happy taking my time with games.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Everything here is true whether you agree with the OP or not (I for one do).  However, that does not mean that there cant be a game out there that is not completely westernized to the point that they are today.  One game cant suit everybody but they are all made the same.  You can keep the games that are there now but make one or two games that give us those classic mmorpg elements that this type of genre was founded on.  
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I had a thread about this several months back (that's where I got my spotlight poster title weee lol), and I said back then that the instant gratification ruins the MMO experience.

If you like the following you might be a MMO player:

- Going into a forest or mine for hours to gather materials for crafting.

- Sitting at a workstation for hours turning wood and ore into something you can use.

- Sitting somewhere crafting for hours on end, just to get 1/4 of a level in a craft.

- Takes a year or more to get to the level cap.

- Killing so many "insert monster here" that people make comics and jokes about it...yet still you didn't level up.

- Grouping up to take on higher level enemies for bonus experience.

- Grouping up just to survive the trip to the next town.

- Grouping just for the sake of playing with friends, even if you could do it yourself.

- Death penalties that actually hurt.  Loss of experience and/or lots of resources...or even your gear.

- Having to go to a wiki or guide site to print out a map of the game world, because you're lost all the time.

- Doing nothing but sitting in a bank, pub, house, or some other place just chatting with people.

I would go up to $30 a month to have something like this back again.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Tjed

I had a thread about this several months back (that's where I got my spotlight poster title weee lol), and I said back then that the instant gratification ruins the MMO experience.

- Sitting at a workstation for hours turning wood and ore into something you can use.

- Sitting somewhere crafting for hours on end, just to get 1/4 of a level in a craft.

- Killing so many "insert monster here" that people make comics and jokes about it...yet still you didn't level up.

- Grouping just for the sake of playing with friends, even if you could do it yourself.

- Death penalties that actually hurt.  Loss of experience and/or lots of resources...or even your gear.

- Having to go to a wiki or guide site to print out a map of the game world, because you're lost all the time.

- Doing nothing but sitting in a bank, pub, house, or some other place just chatting with people.

I would go up to $30 a month to have something like this back again.

That would be cruel, but I would not mind the option.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Precusor
    The instant gratification and the f2p crowd will eventually die out 

Why?

f2p crowd: what's the incentive? they get to play games for free and then move on to the next one when they are done. And/or they get to pay to get ahead, get their fun and move on to the next one when they are done.

Instant gratification crowd: people think that it's all people who are "young".

Rememember, we were all young(er) as well. When you played your older mmo's you were younger. But you stuck wth things because you had your eye on the prize.

However, there are players who want things "now" and what's worse they always have to win. Failure is not an option.

This is not to say everyone who plays f2p games is like this but "people" who want things without risk and quickly have been around for longer than any of us have been alive.

And then again longer...

The irony I see in Precursors post is that the most grindy take a long long time to level in are..... drumroll...... f2p games.Max a toon in Rappelz, Atlantica, Cabal Online, and many other f2p MMO's in a few weeks, no way Jose, so I think the "old guys" need to make their mind up as thats the criticism Asian Grinder... compared to US Grinder, EQ or EU grinder EvE (yes EvE you heard me the basic of EvE is grind ISK)

Whenever I read one of these threads common sense just goes flying out the window, old MMO's took a long time because the gameplay was simplistic and easy to create especially in the case of EQ build a low rez area thats green stick a few trees in and BINGO! Elf Lovers Wood now bang in a load of slightly different mobs and get players to group up and get 0.0001% per mob. There's EQ for you OH! and L2 and FFXI and DAOC. Though alternatively you could get players to click on various objects in game world and raise your skill by 0.034% and call it say Ultima Online or how about Star Wars Galaxies. No-one would put up with that gameplay today just look at Darkfall I played that at release, OH! my giddy aunt, that was fecking tedious. The MMO market has followed the trends set by players so really you lot of Vets are to blame for the perceieved state of modern MMO's. There right back atcha!

To answer the OP I'm an old fart gaming wise been around longer than most of you, (started gaming mid 70's) so if you want to stay in the past then yes you are a dying breed or you can go all Zen and just go with da flow. I choose the latter personally I do not want to go back to playing Pong, Centipede or Atic Atac (Spectrum game) or even Zelda: A Link To The Past thank you.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

It isn't the younger generation, it's all generations, yours included.  It's just that MMOs started as a very small niche, once WoW came along, a huge number of *YOUR* generation who wanted instant gratification came along and started playing MMOs.  You act like there's something wrong with them when the truth is, you're the one who falls outside of the norm.  What's wrong with you?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I'm a different old dying breed.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The average age of gamers has consistently gone up with the NES generation.

It's actually people around my age (30) who are the majority and like others have mentioned, as that group of gamers gets older and has more responsibilities they have been drawn to more accessible games. Gone are the days of high school when I could devote 3-5 days to grind out a level, same goes for many others.

I'm all for a virtual world, and I know it can be done, but it can't be done in the old style. It has to be a world in which someone can log in and do something fun for a couple hours.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Rusque

The average age of gamers has consistently gone up with the NES generation.

It's actually people around my age (30) who are the majority and like others have mentioned, as that group of gamers gets older and has more responsibilities they have been drawn to more accessible games. Gone are the days of high school when I could devote 3-5 days to grind out a level, same goes for many others.

I'm all for a virtual world, and I know it can be done, but it can't be done in the old style. It has to be a world in which someone can log in and do something fun for a couple hours.

Yes, and just to stop the casual, instant crap people will spew, this doesn't mean that it can't take years to max level (if it has levels) or hours to do do a dungeon.

It just means that all the long parts have to be broken up in ways that lets people do them in segments without punishing them.

Get an epic quest like in Istaria or EQ that days days/months to finsih.  Have a 15 hour dungeon that is broken up into 30 minute segments with safe zones, or maybe portals to safezones you've reached.  There are hundreds of ways to do this.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by stromp45
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We who enjoyed MMO that took time to play, accomplish ingame really matters, crafters had names, dungeons were hard, even get a level were a accomplish in it self, everything we did back then really matters and it really felt good.

Now you play MMOs atleast western ones on autopilot, you don't really need a guild, you dont really need friends, everything is layed out for you to play from A to B solo, even the dungeons and raids gets on farm mode within a week it gets released.

And the sad part for me is that the younger generation seems to enjoy this, instant gratification crowd no wonder game studios seems to make clones left and right when it sells so good............for a month.........then they return on this board and the sead game board and whine there is nothing to do at endgame and wait for the next big thing.

Some of you might know me from GW2 forums and thinks hey you talking about yourself why on earth are you even making a thread like this when you play GW2?

Why I play GW2 is not because it's easy or hard I play it because Anet broke the WoW mold simple as that, I can finally play a game were I'm free to do what I want, and yes I would love this game to be less solo friendly and more hardcore.

Just wanted to say that for you guys who love to make a post history.

So are we old farts ever going back to the old days with some modifications or are we stuck with instant gratification generation and pray for some indi company who has money to do it right?

I know how you feel i rember in eq if you die the long cr runs and loseing lvs like one time in growth raid wiped and had a 13 hour cr run was afraid we would all lose our stuff til a few druids came to help us. but i hate to say it those days are over with if half these kids had to wait 13 hours to get there equip back most would rage quit. and god forbid you just hit max lv and died and lost your lv that took you a week to get with hours and hours of play.

so you spent 13 hours in a raid and feel proud of it? i am glad i only play games to have fun and socialize and meet people who love games like me and NOT to make gaming my life. i am also glad i never played Everquest MMO and only played the Everquest co-op ps2 version, glad i didn't have that kind of internet back then to waste 13 hours in raid too. . i might have become "old fart" like you guys.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Cephus404

It isn't the younger generation, it's all generations, yours included.  It's just that MMOs started as a very small niche, once WoW came along, a huge number of *YOUR* generation who wanted instant gratification came along and started playing MMOs.  You act like there's something wrong with them when the truth is, you're the one who falls outside of the norm.  What's wrong with you?

if everyone says 2+2=5...are you insane for stating otherwise ?

Orwell...had a point.

We're not talking about facts, we're talking about opinions and, like it or not, your opinion lost the overall battle.  The industry went in a different direction because that's where the majority of players and majority of the money was.  You can be unhappy about that all you like, but that's the reality.  These are the games that are being made today.  Take it or leave it, but whatever you do, stop whining about it.  It's annoying and it won't get you anywhere.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Thats why I still play a 10 year old game that most would call a Korean grinder but to me it still has the main things that make a real mmo. Those things are a real open seamless world, long meaningful character progression and gameplay where you have to be social and group with other people.These types of mmos are simply not being made right now but I do think they are comming back. I have never liked Western mmo as they are all based around solo quest hub gameplay. I am stil playing Lineage 2 while looking forward to games like ArcheAge, Black Deserts and Bless. Stop supporting these poor excuses for mmos.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I've always considered early MMORPG veterans to be the "damn kids".  After a while they were kicked "off the lawn" by the rise of gameplay-focused MMORPGs.

The old men are the ones who played pre-MMORPG games.  The ones who understood when a game was or wasn't deliberately wasting our time with downtime, travel, and tedium.  Only after the genre stopped wasting our time with these empty mechanics did we stick around and start playing MMORPGs in earnest.

Call me old-fashioned, but games should be about fun.  And new MMORPGs are more fun (even though many MMORPGs seem to fail to even match WOW's gameplay quality, let alone surpass it.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

We who enjoyed MMO that took time to play, accomplish ingame really matters, crafters had names, dungeons were hard, even get a level were a accomplish in it self, everything we did back then really matters and it really felt good.

Now you play MMOs atleast western ones on autopilot, you don't really need a guild, you dont really need friends, everything is layed out for you to play from A to B solo, even the dungeons and raids gets on farm mode within a week it gets released.

And the sad part for me is that the younger generation seems to enjoy this, instant gratification crowd no wonder game studios seems to make clones left and right when it sells so good............for a month.........then they return on this board and the sead game board and whine there is nothing to do at endgame and wait for the next big thing.

Some of you might know me from GW2 forums and thinks hey you talking about yourself why on earth are you even making a thread like this when you play GW2?

Why I play GW2 is not because it's easy or hard I play it because Anet broke the WoW mold simple as that, I can finally play a game were I'm free to do what I want, and yes I would love this game to be less solo friendly and more hardcore.

So are we old farts ever going back to the old days with some modifications or are we stuck with instant gratification generation and pray for some indi company who has money to do it right?

......yes we are, but there are some game that might give some of us a "home" again.  AA, EQnext.......time will tell!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

You can do this today in most games.

I remember doing this in SWG and it wasn't fun. SOE knew it wasn't fun and thats why they turned a blind eye to people botting. Just a time sink that served no real purpose other than wasting time.

Another boring time sink.

I'm old and I'm an MMORPG player and yet I have no desire to play a game that takes a year of grinding to level. It is yet another stupid tink sink mechanic. I would rather have the leveling go quickly and have a "end game" that doesnt end. Much like SWG's.

Once again a grind. Why the hell would you want to grind to level? Yes, please let me kill the same mobs over and over and over again.

This was fun and it is something that I do miss.

Another one thats not horrible.

Can still do that today in modern MMO's

Item decay was the best solution. So it started to break even when you didn't die.

Not fun for me. I will take an in game map that shows me where the quests or quest mobs are. You accomplish the same thing just with out alt tabbing.

If thats your thing. It's not mine. I want to play a game not sit and talk. I can sit and talk with people for free.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

those times when everyone on the server knew you, when enemy respected you enough not to attack even if they were 2v1,

when you could make a fortune out of crafting because everyone knew you are that guy with that rare recipe

when you rushed to endgame and upon reachin that played with bunch of people you knew, or if you didnt you made new friends

when making group was about asking everyone if they want to come, instead of 30s queue time

i miss all of those, even with todays mmorpgs if game was made hard enough half of that could come back, thats why i am looking forwards wildstar, its modern aaa mmorpg but  it focuses on those old things, like being hard

heck i didnt play mmorpg properly ( apart beta there and here ) for years now, there just isnt anything that would be a world

i am all up for those 30-60 min gaming sessions but those are not in mmorpgs, i really hate when mmo devs say , yes login for 15 mins do quick pvp match, run quick isntance, THE FUCK IF I HAVE 15 mins only, i would never play game in those 15 mins, go online, read news, watch youtube, brownse random stuff, never a game , never a mmorpg

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by GreenHell

You can do this today in most games.

I remember doing this in SWG and it wasn't fun. SOE knew it wasn't fun and thats why they turned a blind eye to people botting. Just a time sink that served no real purpose other than wasting time.

Another boring time sink.

I'm old and I'm an MMORPG player and yet I have no desire to play a game that takes a year of grinding to level. It is yet another stupid tink sink mechanic. I would rather have the leveling go quickly and have a "end game" that doesnt end. Much like SWG's.

Once again a grind. Why the hell would you want to grind to level? Yes, please let me kill the same mobs over and over and over again.

This was fun and it is something that I do miss.

Another one thats not horrible.

Can still do that today in modern MMO's

Item decay was the best solution. So it started to break even when you didn't die.

Not fun for me. I will take an in game map that shows me where the quests or quest mobs are. You accomplish the same thing just with out alt tabbing.

If thats your thing. It's not mine. I want to play a game not sit and talk. I can sit and talk with people for free.

This thread is simply not for people like you. I could give a damn if I ever reach level cap in a mmo. That will never be the reason why I play a mmo. I simply want a mmo that I have fun playing everday and keeps me coming back for more.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Robokapp

if everyone says 2+2=5...are you insane for stating otherwise ?

Orwell...had a point.

Take it or leave it, but whatever you do, stop whining about it.  It's annoying and it won't get you anywhere.

You mean just like you entering every thread based on old school or older players and berrating them won't?

In response to the OP's question. Unfortunately yes it seems.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I don't think we're a dying breed, in fact development outlook seems to be meandering to a deeper world. It seems people stick around longer if they feel connected to a world, big surprise, and the quota for quick in/out MMOs is full. Good times :)
  • Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Here's the problem OP, your idea of a game is no better than alot of face roll games we have today. To much farming and a year to get to max level playing everyday is absolutely rediculous, yeah it should take a while, otherwise there shouldnt even be levels, which is viable as well. But the worth of a game isnt how long it takes you to do a specific thing, its what the specific thing is actually like, in turn, the content. So just like you have an opinion that the better game is one of farming, and the tedious mind numbing repetetive pushing of buttons over and over, there are others who prefer to not do that, but instead, do the complete opposite. I personally disagree with both, why cant games be extremely versatile and variable, but at the same time, have enough content to keep everyone happy?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

"instant gratification generation"?

Just join them. We are talking about entertainment here ... nothing wrong with some fast fun. Personally, i am not going back to the days where playing a MMO means "waiting, waiting, and more waiting" as gameplay. If you want to call that "instant gratification" .. then i will fully embrace it.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I tend to think so. Just the other day I was talking to people in an MMO about how I wished game devs would start making games that didn't just hand out rewards for doing very little in the game. I want an mmo that will take literally multiple years just to hit max level/become really powerful. An mmo with no end game content. An MMO where you can't just solo all the way through. I'm one of the people of the mindset. If you want to solo, why play solo all the time (of course that arguement is dead thanks to games like Guild Wars 2 where 90% of the player base solos using that horrid "auto teaming" feature that causes people to more anti social than ever.

Everyone pretty much lashed out saying that they don't want grindfests. It's like they fail to see what I was talking about. Most people don't seem to see the potential a truely great MMO can have. The perfect example is the show Sword Art Online (I know, I know, just hear me out). The reason why MMO players love the idea of Sword Art Online is because it's an mmo that is played/made the way MMOs are supposed to made/played. I'm NOT talking about the "tower climbing" and fight a boss aspect of the game. I'm talking about the other aspects of the game:

-Not everyone is a powerful hero/fighter. You have people that just play as a chef, fisherman, shopkeeper etc. Some people actually find it enjoyable to play as an individual and not a carbon copy of every other player playing the same person (like in Tera, GW 1 and 2, and all these pther games with premade stories). If you want to be the hero, go out and try. If you want to be the villain, go out and try. If you want to be a blacksmith who isn't powerful wizard/warrior/whatever you should be able to do that. MMOs need to stop trying to cater to the Single Player/console crowd. They wont stick around long enough to help maintain the game anyway. Look at whats happening to the industry now.

-Interacting with players was required. In Sword Art, fighting with other was a must. Yeah there were solo players, but even then Kiroto had to rely on others. they had to use preplan and use tactic and change tactics when needed. In modern MMOs it's just damager, heal, tank and if we happen to have buffs and debuffs that's nice too. I remember playing Lineage 2 and Ever Quest and actually having to tand and talk with a raid team for at least 10 minutes to 40 minutes sometimes coming up with tactics and sometimes waiting for people to get to a certain level so they'd have such and such skill. We even did practice runs. Seriously, you aren't going to alienate the people that will stick with the game long term. Rewarding people for teaming is a good thing. When you have content that's 100% soloable you just draw in the crowd that plays for a month or two never chatting and eventually move on. The only positive thing about the TES: Online is they're dividing the server so that people who want to team will be on one instance. Hopefully it wont be the default.

-There is no mainstory or main questline to follow. You make your own story.

I'm extremely sick of people saying they want a good story in MMOs. Really? You want to make your own character, decide who it is, what it does, etc etc yet you want it's story to be played out for you? On top of that it's story is the same as everyone else. Everyone is the same hero is friends with the army commander, or who is best friends with some homeless guy, or who is the great *lone* hero of the city. I'd rather make my character and play out my own story. If I want to help an NPC I can or can't, if I want to be a hero, I want to earn that title by actually being the hero of that town. I don't want to be artificially known by NPCs, but by other players for whatever it is I do, or maybe I want to be an unknown tree logger trying to find wealth and friends.

There's some more but this post is already way too long. My point is that most people don't want these things. They only want: fast leveling, exciting end game content yet they have no idea what it could be but someone should figure it out and make it, instant rewards, their hand held by the developer while the premade story continues down a narrow path, and they don't want to have to team to get things done because they don't want to wait on others. 

I really hope these people get tired of MMOs and move on so that mmo devs can get back to making MMOs and not massive single player-feeling games.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

This thread is simply not for people like you. I could give a damn if I ever reach level cap in a mmo. That will never be the reason why I play a mmo. I simply want a mmo that I have fun playing everday and keeps me coming back for more.

What is a person like me? I also want a MMO that I enjoy playing everyday. I just prefer a sandbox end game over an endless grind for xp. Why should it take a year of killing the same damn things over and over again for me to hit max level? How is that fun at all? I would rather reach the part of the game where I play it the way I want to with out having to even think about XP.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Maybe because the younger generation simply just doesn't have the time for the kind of MMO you want. I would love a great sandbox MMO that gave me more of a feeling of accomplishment than a lot of the current themeparks, but I don't want it to the extreme that a lot of hardcore vetrans want. I just don't have the time for a system where it takes months and months to get your character to the cap just to start the endgame content.

Smile