Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Roin
    Good read.

Funny to me it came off as "WAHHHH WAHHH My email in box is full and I'm incapable of filtering it myself so I gotta write an article about how some meanie faced fans wrote in a huge campaign to try to get their game attention."

So was it ok when we flooded TV stations with notes begging our favorite TV show come back?  It worked then!

When  Jericho fans send in peanuts to get their show put back on the air, was that harassment?   Was that spam?  

Did the reciever of said gift cry about the insane amount of Peanuts they recieved?  NO!

The whole article comes of as if the writers is entitled and angry.  Too bad this reader was rubbed the wrong way.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/?page=1

/thread

I'm not sure how, could you please explain how a completely unrelated incident is relevant to this thread or topic, let alone ends discussion on it?

In any case the article in the OP is correct. The spam campaign has already taken its toll and will continue to take its toll.

1) It has driven off a great number of potential backers. Many fence sitters have been urked by the behavoir of CU die hard fans. I myself was a fence sitter at one point until these die hard fans put me squarely in the "No" camp with the excessive spam and disruptive trollish behavoir.

2) CU die hards have breed their own haters. Whether or not this game gets funded doesn't matter now. What should have been a niche game that flew under most peoples radars has now become this thing to despise. Professional Journalists and Reviewers as well aren't going to very forgiving of all the harassment and neither will gamers. The die hards have effectively created a situation where there is no win condition. If the game gets funded it has nothing but an uphill battle now. 

This type of behavoir has really put everyone in a bit of a bind. If the game funds and is successful it is likely that others may get the idea that spamming, trolling, and harassing News sites, gaming forums, players while they are in other games, and so on works. 

You can try and write off what the article says because of an unrelated inccident if you want, but keep in mind his views and opinions on the subject are shared by a great deal of people. 

The constant begging every where you look from the same group of people. 

The constant trolling and derailing of threads that question design decisions and the lack of info every where you look. 

The constant attempts at insulting those that don't want to pledge or simply haven't made a decision on whether they want to back it or not every where you look. 

Believe it or not, thanks to this die hard campaign many if not most are sick of CU. They are sick of hearing about it, they are sick of seeing anything about it, and they are sick of the games fans. 

In any case, I wish you guys luck only because it's in my nature to do so. Lets hope that you 1) haven't managed to keep the game from funding and 2) haven't managed to tick of so many people that CUs future is as bleak as I think it could be even if it does get funded. 

How big was your sample size when you ran the numbers for the poll to get these absolutes you speak of in your post.  I mean you sound like you have it all figured out, why the game wasn't backed, why the backers who haven't backed aren't... I'd love to see your polling data!

Hey, I could be wrong man and I can accept that. Maybe theres nothing but thoughts of love and happiness about CU and the forums and such are full of nothing but praise. Maybe professional game reviewers and journalists aren't upset or annoyed and are writing about how wonderful everything has been and how they love the fans emailing them non stop. Maybe those being hit by the CU spam in other games really do appreciate being constantly informed about CU while they play something else. I highly doubt all this, but I accept that it is possible I guess. 

I mean telemarketers get thanked for calling all the time right and if I'm not mistaken they are adding a new holiday this year called "I'm a Nigerian Prince Day" which is to celebrate all the Nigerian Prince spam mail. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Tierless

We have 40 hours left, lets all just find some common ground, can we agree that we like MMOs and we like MMORPG.com? Yes, cool.

40 hours and we can all go back to debating sandbox vs themepark in the main chat stream.

oh goods no, well at least its better then P2P vs F2P

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

So many  seem to think spam is only in large numbers,it goes beyond that scope.It is actually far worse than negative comments on games because it incites negative feedback.I can see how it would turn peopel off if a ton of people keep making threads to say nothing but spam the game they love.

Then a different person comes along and says the same thing with maybe a subtle difference like,well it is the best game ever becuase it is a niche game or i love Indie developers.When you make a thread with zero content,it is 100% spam.

If you like a game great,i couldn't care less if you made 50 threads to say it,just make sure you are actually saying something other than "This is the best game ever".

I will toss in a pefect example that bothered me and this site moderation did nothing about it.Well if i remember they tossed it out once into the spam area but then most likely feedback allowed it back.That was the infamous 10,000 or Gw2 thread.ZERO content,even the posts had zero content,just 100% spam and this site allowed it to continue.I forget how many spam psots resided inside that spam thread but it musty have been a thousand or so,that is a LOT of spam for this site to allow in one thread.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wizardry

So many  seem to think spam is only in large numbers,it goes beyond that scope.It is actually far worse than negative comments on games because it incites negative feedback.I can see how it would turn peopel off if a ton of people keep making threads to say nothing but spam the game they love.

Then a different person comes along and says the same thing with maybe a subtle difference like,well it is the best game ever becuase it is a niche game or i love Indie developers.When you make a thread with zero content,it is 100% spam.

If you like a game great,i couldn't care less if you made 50 threads to say it,just make sure you are actually saying something other than "This is the best game ever".

I will toss in a pefect example that bothered me and this site moderation did nothing about it.Well if i remember they tossed it out once into the spam area but then most likely feedback allowed it back.That was the infamous 10,000 or Gw2 thread.ZERO content,even the posts had zero content,just 100% spam and this site allowed it to continue.I forget how many spam psots resided inside that spam thread but it musty have been a thousand or so,that is a LOT of spam for this site to allow in one thread.

and if they would figure out a way to filter games so you can block any game you want from showing up in the recent forum activity almost all these issues would go away

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45

In any case the article in the OP is correct. The spam campaign has already taken its toll and will continue to take its toll.

1) It has driven off a great number of potential backers. Many fence sitters have been urked by the behavoir of CU die hard fans. I myself was a fence sitter at one point until these die hard fans put me squarely in the "No" camp with the excessive spam and disruptive trollish behavoir.

heh that's a blatant lie.   all of you've ever done is trash CU on this forum. message history as proof.  no, you were never a "potential backer."

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Wizardry

and if they would figure out a way to filter games so you can block any game you want from showing up in the recent forum activity almost all these issues would go away

that would indeed be nice yes

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

Originally posted by nf4mous

heh that's a blatant lie.   all of you've ever done is trash CU on this forum. message history as proof.  no, you were never a "potential backer."

Yep, I was a potential backer and that is fairly clear in my earlier CU postings. Originally I was looking for more info. As things progressed though I became more and more annoyed and it eventually got to a point where I'll likely go out and celebrate tonight if this game fails to fund. Going through my post history isn't always easy though so I can understand you not wanting to sift through it considering I post a great deal. My work is pretty easy so I post a lot while working to kill time, I play MTGO a lot and post a lot while waiting for a match to start, and when I'm waiting on something to render I will post to kill time as well. Sifting through almost five thousand posts is a daunting task that I don't expect anyone to fully undertake. 

In any case, yes I was a potential backer. I am first and foremost a PvP fan when there is meaning to the PvP. I'm also an old DAoC player. That alone makes or at least made me a potential backer. Sanboxes and Virtual Worlds tend to get my support as well. 

I know its easier to say "Pssh, all these people upset at us are just haters that wouldn't have backed the game anyways" because then you can convience yourself that you are in no way shape or form responsible for a game you truly wanted failing to get funded in case it does fail. Lots of people try and justify unfavorible actions and usually fall back on "the end justifies the means" just keep in mind a saying I am rather fond of... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I'm not religious but I have always been rather fond of that quote. 

Originally posted by skaaz1

They still covered it. The game still got press. Even bad publicity is still publicity.

But I will agree a few of the bad apples, spoiled the whole bunch of CU fans that are decent.

WIth a few hours left to go and being really close to there goal. CU will go away for a few years to there own private forums and we don't have to hear about the game. If it happens to not fund, we won't have to hear about it ever again.

It might not fund, I just tried to throw 25 bucks at it amazon is not taking payments.

not true at all since he already stated if it looked close they would organize all the info then have add some new stuff to it and relaunch KS for slightly less $.. its already close enough amount to what he projected he would do a relaunch at.. so you'll be hearing about this game for awhile yet..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yep, I was a potential backer and that is fairly clear in my earlier CU postings. Originally I was looking for more info. As things progressed though I became more and more annoyed and it eventually got to a point where I'll likely go out and celebrate tonight if this game fails to fund. Going through my post history isn't always easy though so I can understand you not wanting to sift through it considering I post a great deal. My work is pretty easy so I post a lot while working to kill time, I play MTGO a lot and post a lot while waiting for a match to start, and when I'm waiting on something to render I will post to kill time as well. Sifting through almost five thousand posts is a daunting task that I don't expect anyone to fully undertake. 

In any case, yes I was a potential backer. I am first and foremost a PvP fan when there is meaning to the PvP. I'm also an old DAoC player. That alone makes or at least made me a potential backer. Sanboxes and Virtual Worlds tend to get my support as well. 

I know its easier to say "Pssh, all these people upset at us are just haters that wouldn't have backed the game anyways" because then you can convience yourself that you are in no way shape or form responsible for a game you truly wanted to to fail to get funded in case it does fail. Lots of people try and justify unfavorible actions and usually fall back on "the end justifies the means" just keep in mind a saying I am rather fond of... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I'm not religious but I have always been rather fond of that quote. 

what a load of crock.   instead of actually looking at facts presented by the devs themselves you claim all of your decisions are based on random internet chatter from a few local fans and enthusiasts trying to spread information.   whatever you say, and nobody believes you, given repeated hate posts as proof.

what backwards logic. won't be missed.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    It'll fund. MJ already said he'd put in 2M when it funded. Now maybe he puts in 2.2M...
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Aye.  I support the project for sure, but the spam is just not appropriate.  Leave the marketing to CSE.  I don't understand why all of these individual backers feel the need to try and 'promote' in the ways they have been.  (Note: discussing the game on this forum is not spam, as annoyed as some may be regarding the front page threads popping up often.)  Although it is funny that they refer specifically to a poster on this very forum, hah.

They still covered it. The game still got press. Even bad publicity is still publicity.

But I will agree a few of the bad apples, spoiled the whole bunch of CU fans that are decent.

WIth a few hours left to go and being really close to there goal. CU will go away for a few years to there own private forums and we don't have to hear about the game. If it happens to not fund, we won't have to hear about it ever again.

It might not fund, I just tried to throw 25 bucks at it amazon is not taking payments.

not true at all since he already stated if it looked close they would organize all the info then have add some new stuff to it and relaunch KS for slightly less $.. its already close enough amount to what he projected he would do a relaunch at.. so you'll be hearing about this game for awhile yet..

See and all I was trying to do was make some of the people that don't want to see this game progress feel a little better and now you have gone and ruined it.

:) that's what I do:P

See and all I was trying to do was make some of the people that don't want to see this game progress feel a little better and now you have gone and ruined it.

we are going to be hearing about this game for a bit no matter what way this gose

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

MJ has even asked the fanatics to basically stfu.

"Morning all I don't have much time right now but please, please stop sending out emails to news sites looking to get us coverage. I appreciate the thoughts but anyone who is doing that now is hurting, not helping, our chance of success with this campaign. So please, once again, stop.;"

Quoting for importance!

I know its easier to say "Pssh, all these people upset at us are just haters that wouldn't have backed the game anyways" because then you can convience yourself that you are in no way shape or form responsible for a game you truly wanted to to fail to get funded in case it does fail. Lots of people try and justify unfavorible actions and usually fall back on "the end justifies the means" just keep in mind a saying I am rather fond of... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I'm not religious but I have always been rather fond of that quote. 

what a load of crock.   instead of actually looking at facts presented by the devs themselves you claim all of your decisions are based on random internet chatter from a few local fans and enthusiasts trying to spread information.   whatever you say, and nobody believes you, given repeated hate posts as proof.

what backwards logic. won't be missed.

Meh, to each their own. I rarely jump to disliking a game let alone "hating" it. I admit that the first time I read up on Greedmonger and the drama I started off as a "hater". Mortal Online I was originally interested in until obvious issues changed my opinion of it. CU I was 50/50 on being interested. Believe that or not it doesn't matter to me. My issue with the game at this point is that other players are going to be my main source of content in CU. You and others like you would be my main source of content. Yes, thats cause for pause for me. Its sad because there are several I know and typically play with on here that are interested in CU but they seem to be out numbered by a large margin or at least out spoken by the more insane fans. 

Intelligent, logical, and honest conversation and discussion goes a long way with me. The continous spewing of insults, begging, baggering, and strawman arguements gets you nowhere. 

I mean even now, instead of discussing things in an intelligent and rational manner you seem to want to continue the negative stigma that now surrounds the CU community. 

Kudos to you my friend, you certainly have shown me the error of my ways and convienced me that my views on the majority of the fanbase are unfounded. (I felt the need to state this last sentence was sarcasm) 

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by redcapp
    Aye.  I support the project for sure, but the spam is just not appropriate.  Leave the marketing to CSE.  I don't understand why all of these individual backers feel the need to try and 'promote' in the ways they have been.  (Note: discussing the game on this forum is not spam, as annoyed as some may be regarding the front page threads popping up often.)  Although it is funny that they refer specifically to a poster on this very forum, hah.

In all fairness early in the KS, Mark did ask to spread the word.

Check out update Video #3

Well spread it not spam it :P in any case this kickstarter will see the light of day, I just dread the spam now that will come from amazon costing them the first kickstarter. I just dont see them making 6k an hour till the final goal, but no doubt Mark will do another kickstarter. Hopfully with more organization and structure business model. I might even back it if I can actually see "hard data" on what will be what and what the plans are. Said that from the start, I started as a 120 pledge and dropped out after looking into the kickstarter more and realizing, there is no true bible. But if he does that for the second kickstarter, I might change my tune.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Meh, to each their own. I rarely jump to disliking a game let alone "hating" it. I admit that the first time I read up on Greedmonger and the drama I started off as a "hater". Mortal Online I was originally interested in until obvious issues changed my opinion of it. CU I was 50/50 on being interested. Believe that or not it doesn't matter to me. My issue with the game at this point is that other players are going to be my main source of content in CU. You and others like you would be my main source of content. Yes, thats cause for pause for me. Its sad because there are several I know and typically play with on here that are interested in CU but they seem to be out numbered by a large margin or at least out spoken by the more insane fans. 

Intelligent, logical, and honest conversation and discussion goes a long way with me. The continous spewing of insults, begging, baggering, and strawman arguements gets you nowhere. 

I mean even now, instead of discussing things in an intelligent and rational manner you seem to want to continue the negative stigma that now surrounds the CU community. 

Kudos to you my friend, you certainly have shown me the error of my ways and convienced me that my views on the majority of the fanbase are unfounded. (I felt the need to state this last sentence was sarcasm) 

whatever you say.   if you can't even handle simple posts about fans behing enthusiastic about a game on an internet message board, i'd hate to see the meltdowns you'd experience when RvR happens. yikes.

• GrimborGrimbor Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by chaintm
    The same annoyiance can be found here, people that support the KS here counter and anti-spam those that don't like it and visa versa, The only reason however this kickstarter is sooo prominate here is the spammers. Look at the most highly posted individuals on this kickstarter and their history is only CU and only on a few threads after being warned not to make new threads on the same subject. The same spam in emails has been happening here sense day one.

Sense != Since

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

This is one of the manys reasons why I hate community's founded after 2004.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    It was a good effort, just too little to late.  Maybe now every third thread will not have to do with CU and how its our savior in its title.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Roin
    Good read.

Funny to me it came off as "WAHHHH WAHHH My email in box is full and I'm incapable of filtering it myself so I gotta write an article about how some meanie faced fans wrote in a huge campaign to try to get their game attention."

So was it ok when we flooded TV stations with notes begging our favorite TV show come back?  It worked then!

When  Jericho fans send in peanuts to get their show put back on the air, was that harassment?   Was that spam?  

Did the reciever of said gift cry about the insane amount of Peanuts they recieved?  NO!

The whole article comes of as if the writers is entitled and angry.  Too bad this reader was rubbed the wrong way.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I mean honestly if you were say buying a car. Dealer comes up to points out a car. You go ok, not really what I am looking for. Maybe even ok I'll come back to that lets see what else you have. But instead of showing you another car he shows you the same exact car in a different color. Or maybe even in the same exact color. Over and over again.

Being a fan of something does in no way entitle you to harass and/or spam someone. If the only way to get yourself heard is to be annoying or down right lazy (I mean come on copy pasting emails? Really). Then that person whether is a journalist or even a government appointed official doesn't owe you anything as far as listening. You aren't being contructive or even helpful.

What is it we tell people on the various forums all the time. When giving suggestions, feedback, or criticism be "contructive" about it. So please tell me how spamming is in this case. Contructive and/or Positive? If you don't even care enough to write your own letter, why should they?

Edit: Using your Jericho link above. If you have to be annoying to be heard. What's the point? You didn't really win. You just annoyed the other person into giving in. They didn't agree with you, they didn't see your point. They just want to shut you up.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by chaintm
    Originally posted by redcapp

In all fairness early in the KS, Mark did ask to spread the word.

Check out update Video #3

Well spread it not spam it :P ...

Which, IMHO, once again shows that despite all his apparent experience Mark Jacobs simply does not know his audience.

Mistake after mistake after mistake.

And this is why I simply don't trust this guy to design a game.

He is an 'ideas man'.  And to be fair, some of his ideas are pretty good.  But in terms of making those ideas work in an actual game, with actual players - different problem entirely.

And as for all the "I don't understand why all of these individual backers feel the need to try and 'promote' in the ways they have been."  - well I wonder how many of these supposed individual backers are actually employees of Curious Factory Publishing?

And the issue here is that when backer # 1 sees backer # 2 doing something (with the apparent full support of the developer - who backer #1 idolises BTW) then they will often take it upon themselves to do the same.  Particularly when the developer has made it a competition by saying that things like beta access will be granted based on enthusiasm, for example.  Again... a mistake based on not understanding the audience or their psychology.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by dantheman13
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Counterpoint:

It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action.

I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use.

The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity.

The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue.

Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this).

P.S. I don't care about CU.

Well said.  PA's reaction to the "spamming" is childish at best.  Politicians around the world often get email bombed by pre-written email messages by grassroots organizations.  Such emails have curbed evil things like SOPA and other nasty laws and government policies.  As long as these emails were not automatically generated, which by the sounds of the article there is no proof that they were, PA should have done the responsible thing and taken the emails as a sign of a passionate community that should not be ignored.  Their refusal to cover the game only makes them a questionable and lazy gaming news outlet for me.   

What an illogical and nonsensical comparison.  Obviously from your argument, anyone who disagrees with what you believe is childish.

How exactly is it nonsensical to you?  Maybe you don't know what the responsibilities are of a reliable news source towards their audience?

To compare political mailings to game sponsorship mailings is ludicrous, through and through.  Who are you to judge them childish for not wanting to tolerate such behavior?  I can assure you most people would not tolerate it one bit, would that mean most of us are childish or is it more likely that we are protecting ourselves from having our precious time wasted.

You seem to be missing the point.  Governments have a responsibility to respond to their constituents regardless of how annoying they are, and reliable news sources have a similar responsibility to respond to their readers regardless of how annoying they are.  Refusing to cover CU for any reason is simply irresponsible for a "reliable" gaming news outlet, and a disservice towards their readers.  

Their responsibility is to tell the truth, they are not however, beholden to the readers on which stories they persue or which games they cover.  Thankfully, that is still the perview of the owner / editor in chief.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

Then you basically are jut screwing yourself moneywise. You'll end up paying more for the game and getting not as much back as opposed to if you had backed. But hey, it's your money and not my problem. You got to stick it to the "fanboys" which was more inmportant to you than getting a better deal. Huzzah!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez