Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official post - when questing in other faction's zones won't even be able to see other faction's pla

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    The biggest problem for me personally isn't phasing or unable to see enemy faction but Daoc devs leading this game. It looks like they are trying to peddle their new-born Daoc abomination in a shiny TES skin. TES fans expecting for an Elder Scrolls MMO vs former Daoc players. Guess which side has more members?
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

All I want to know, is can we sit in chairs? Sounds silly yes, but it tells me the level of detail that the devs are willing to provide. 1st "cantina" I walked in early on in SWTOR, I noticed I couldn't sit, and you know the rest. 

If something as mundane as sitting is not in the game, I doubt I will even try it (not that anyone cares!)

I miss games going that extra yard as well. Get in the game and emotes are not polished. You cant dance or sit on a char. But for most like me. I will stick around if the game is polished in every other area and wait for that stuff to come later. Would be nice to see think Devs conside fluff to be part of the must do now list. Even things like player housing is always something of an after thought. 

I hear you, I am just more of a virtual world kinda of fella I guess. I was hoping this game would appeal to me, because I haven't had an mmo to call home in years and I love TES. For me, the negatives outweigh the positives unfortunatly.  Hopefully EQnext will do it for me, if not I think I am done with MMOs (wasted too much damn money in the last couple years on junk). 

yeah i'm more of a "world" person and it seems that ESO is more of a themepark Well, we know it is.

this always confuses me. the elder scroll series has always been a theme park, open world yes but theme park non the less, its has a severl set story lines to follow, you may be able to get to chose which one you do but in the end its still a theme park or as i like to call it

a theme park where you get to pick which ride you take first.

the ability to just go around and kill thing at random dosount change that just means its open world we have seen that since ever crack heck even before that. heck you can do that in WoW if you want.

No one is debating TP vs SB. I just perfer an "open world" or "virtual world" or whatever you want to call it. Basically were combat and quests aren't the only meat and potatoes of the game. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Squeak69

this always confuses me. the elder scroll series has always been a theme park, open world yes but theme park non the less, its has a severl set story lines to follow, you may be able to get to chose which one you do but in the end its still a theme park or as i like to call it

a theme park where you get to pick which ride you take first.

the ability to just go around and kill thing at random dosount change that just means its open world we have seen that since ever crack heck even before that. heck you can do that in WoW if you want.

It probably confuses you because you think that others share your idea of "sandbox".

You probably also think that other people play the game the way you think everyone plays it.

"for me" a sandbox allows me to use the tools in the game to enable me to play the game the way I want to play it. And to be what I want my character to be within whatever limitations the game must have.

I don't care about "building" anything so that is never an issue.

One can play these games and never touch the main quest and never even do the quests if you don't want to.

From trying ESO I got the feeling I couldn't play as i have done so since morrowind. There is more "out there" in those TESO games and I don't get the sense that the ESO world is as populated with crypts, dungeons, etc.

But of course this is off topic and has been discussed in other threads.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

No one is debating TP vs SB. I just perfer an "open world" or "virtual world" or whatever you want to call it. Basically were combat and quests aren't the only meat and potatoes of the game. 

pretty much this.

ESO is not really a virtual world from the limited bits I've seen.

edit: still it is closed beta.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I wouldnt buy a game with "traditional" wow pve and pvp servers.

I never played wow, what do you mean "traditional" wow pve and pvp servers?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

pretty much this.

The more MMO a game gets the lass you can do just what you want. Like in TES games you could pick up and loot just about any object. How long would it take till the world is stripped clean and every item on tebles and shelves are in someone invantory or on the floor. It comes down to everyone elses imersion is as important as yours. Thats why even sandbox MMOs have permissions on everything. Do you have thr right to cop down this tree? Finding that balance is not something I would want on my head.

The more MMO a game gets the lass you can do just what you want. Like in TES games you could pick up and loot just about any object. How long would it take till the world is stripped clean and every item on tebles and shelves are in someone invantory or on the floor. It comes down to everyone elses imersion is as important as yours. Thats why even sandbox MMOs have permissions on everything. Do you have thr right to cop down this tree? Finding that balance is not something I would want on my head.

well, again I suppose this brings this all off topic but there are undrestandable concessions.

Being able to pick up every item and throw it in a room isn't the pithy part of what makes an Elder Scrolls game and Elder Scrolls game.

Being ablet to make a tower of cheese isn't as well.

pretty much this.

I would agree that would be hard to balence, and I would never expect that much depth in an MMO (at this point in time anyways). But sitting in a chair, or adding some small things to add some immersion, is not asking much. it is an RPG after all right? Pretty hard to RP without the tools to do so.

I lol'd.

I lol'd.

lol, 'until it fell on you..." image

pretty much this.

I would agree that would be hard to balence, and I would never expect that much depth in an MMO (at this point in time anyways). But sitting in a chair, or adding some small things to add some immersion, is not asking much. it is an RPG after all right? Pretty hard to RP without the tools to do so.

Im an old school PnP guy. I got into EQ1 to RP and was shocked when people would tell me off for doing so. Funny how mmo-rpgs have become more about combat then story and rpg and the story you do get is on tracks. 

pretty much this.

Im an old school PnP guy. I got into EQ1 to RP and was shocked when people would tell me off for doing so. Funny how mmo-rpgs have become more about combat then story and rpg and the story you do get is on tracks. 

Yeah =/ Hell I'd play PnP AD&D 2nd edition again if I could find people to play with. 

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

pretty much this.

Agreed and I'm from PnP and EQ myself and that's why I cannot understand why Zenimax hired former Daoc devs who are obsessed by 3 faction conflict. Actually, as I've said I don't mind RvRvR but I really hate this Daoc shite that is covering this TES game. I want TES not Daoc.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Well, they made a change that was done because either their Beta testers suggested it or because they thought their customer base suggested it.

Are you sure about that? How about this scenario...

Zmax dev 1: hey guys... these level 50 adventure zones are going to take a shitload of time to do--they won't be ready for launch.

Zmax dev 2: Shit... we have no raids and now no adventure zones... We have to give people who don't want to PvP 24/7 some level 50 content.

Zmax dev 3: Hey... how about we give them level 50 versions of the alliance territory they haven't seen yet to mess with at 50?

Zmax lead: Damn good idea! Hardly any extra work needed... beside, there has been some compalining about not being able to go there with our faction-lock system at some fan sites... We can tell them we're doing it for them!... brilliant!

I like my guess better than yours.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Hahahah oh man...you cannot see enemy players, what a fking joke...wtf are they taking? the same as blizzard is taking since

the second expantion?

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Hahahah oh man...you cannot see enemy players, what a fking joke...wtf are they taking? the same as blizzard is taking since

the second expantion?

since they aren't pvp zones what's worse?

not seeing other players.

seeing other players but not being able to attack them?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Iselin

Well, they made a change that was done because either their Beta testers suggested it or because they thought their customer base suggested it.

Zmax dev 1: hey guys... these level 50 adventure zones are going to take a shitload of time to do--they won't be ready for launch.

Zmax dev 2: Shit... we have no raids and now no adventure zones... We have to give people who don't want to PvP 24/7 some level 50 content.

Zmax dev 3: Hey... how about we give them level 50 versions of the alliance territory they haven't seen yet to mess with at 50?

Zmax lead: Damn good idea! Hardly any extra work needed... beside, there has been some compalining about not being able to go there with our faction-lock system at some fan sites... We can tell them we're doing it for them!... brilliant!

Does me saying I like mine better make mine right?

No.

But what is more likely though?

That feedback from their beta testers that are there to test the game design and feedback stuff promted a change or that they decided  6 (SIX) years into development that they got it wrong all of a sudden? Or that their origional design to NOT have 1st person view suddenly got changed on a whim and not because of the massive backlash they could see on the forums?

Who knows but the simplest explanation is often the best one.

So sure, go out on a leg and say the developers got a sudden act of inspiration 6 years into development if you want, doesn't change what is happenning to the design either way.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Duplicate

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Eol-
    If we sat down 10 TES players in a room, we would probably get 10 different opinions about what they want from ESO. Dont act like there is this unanimous mindset, because its not remotely true. In fact, the only thing we know for sure about the TES fanbase is that they like playing the TES RPGs... and the problem is that a MMORPG is going to be different than an RPG designed for a hundred or two hours of single player gaming. No matter what the developers of ESO do, they are going to have to alienate some of the TES fans simply because its impossible to design Skyrim online and still have lots of players in 6 months.
    I would wager that 9 out 10 would say, "Open world exploration."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Eol-
    If we sat down 10 TES players in a room, we would probably get 10 different opinions about what they want from ESO. Dont act like there is this unanimous mindset, because its not remotely true. In fact, the only thing we know for sure about the TES fanbase is that they like playing the TES RPGs... and the problem is that a MMORPG is going to be different than an RPG designed for a hundred or two hours of single player gaming. No matter what the developers of ESO do, they are going to have to alienate some of the TES fans simply because its impossible to design Skyrim online and still have lots of players in 6 months.

I would wager 2 would say open world exploration, 2 would say kicking my friend in the face and 6 would say be the hero that saves the world.

Originally posted by Iselin

Does me saying I like mine better make mine right?

No.

But what is more likely though?

That feedback from their beta testers that are there to test the game design and feedback stuff promted a change or that they decided  6 (SIX) years into development that they got it wrong all of a sudden? Or that their origional design to NOT have 1st person view suddenly got changed on a whim and not because of the massive backlash they could see on the forums?

Who knows but the simplest explanation is often the best one.

So sure, go out on a leg and say the developers got a sudden act of inspiration 6 years into development if you want, doesn't change what is happenning to the design either way.

That they realized their real level 50 PvE content, Adventure Zones, wouldn't be ready for launch--and they won't be--and came up with an alternative for level 50 PvE would be the simplest explanation. Beta hadn't even started back then--only Alpha and the "friends and family" testing.

This announcement happened on March 21st not yesterday.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Piritus

You do realize that daoc pve is 99% the same as vanilla EQ pve right?

Nothing like the pve I've seen from TESO.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by kiersteadmo

I like this and I am a very big PVper, but the fact that I will lvl to max as fast as possible to get to the other zones  would  be bad if there was pvp. I would be able to kill all the lower lvl guys and grief, just like in WOW where griefers would kill players then camp the body.

It is a great way to keep pvp in the pvp only area and let players play the game.

Not if there is a pvp flag implemented.. 

Problem solved.

Originally posted by jacktors
    Originally posted by kiersteadmo

I like this and I am a very big PVper, but the fact that I will lvl to max as fast as possible to get to the other zones  would  be bad if there was pvp. I would be able to kill all the lower lvl guys and grief, just like in WOW where griefers would kill players then camp the body.

It is a great way to keep pvp in the pvp only area and let players play the game.

Not if there is a pvp flag implemented.. 

Problem solved.

And how exactly is questing @ level 50 with a bunch of lowbees from that faction--whom you can't touch--running around under foot better than not seeing them at all?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by AlBQuirky   Originally posted by Eol- If we sat down 10 TES players in a room, we would probably get 10 different opinions about what they want from ESO. Dont act like there is this unanimous mindset, because its not remotely true. In fact, the only thing we know for sure about the TES fanbase is that they like playing the TES RPGs... and the problem is that a MMORPG is going to be different than an RPG designed for a hundred or two hours of single player gaming. No matter what the developers of ESO do, they are going to have to alienate some of the TES fans simply because its impossible to design Skyrim online and still have lots of players in 6 months.
    I would wager 2 would say open world exploration, 2 would say kicking my friend in the face and 6 would say be the hero that saves the world.

Open world style exploration has been a recurring theme from all of the Skyrim players I know. Granted that's a very small number of players compared to all the people who have played the game, but it does seem to be pretty consistent. They will need to somehow capture that feeling, even if players are progressing through zones with levels.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.