Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Ikonis
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/?page=1

/thread

[mod edit]

Not to mention the message was actually positive towards CSE/Jacobs...

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

Yup was 100 times worse the the GW2 fanboi's.

SUP

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Kickstarter Community Guidelines

Spread the word but don't spam

What's spam? Some examples include:

Emailing or direct messaging strangers, especially en masse

Using email lists from third parties or soliciting backers of other Kickstarter projects

Sending unsolicited @-replies on Twitter

Link-bombing forums

Promoting a project on other projects' pages

Sharing your project with friends, fans, and followers is one thing, but invading inboxes and social networks uninvited is another. Spamming makes you and every other Kickstarter project look bad, and it puts your project in jeopardy of being suspended. Not sure if something is spam? If you have to ask, it probably is.

Be respectful and considerate

Violating these rules or our Terms of Use may result in your account being deleted and/or your project being suspended. That's not fun for anyone, so please follow these simple rules very carefully. Cool? Cool.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

So theres overzealous people on the internet?  No kidding.

They have little effect on what games (or political views, or religous views, or which movies or.... ) i am interested in, and i plan to keep it that way.

If you allow them to even slightly determine how you viewed this game, well thats a shame, in my opinion. Especially if its the type of game you'd be interested in.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Marcus-

They have little effect on what games (or political views, or religous views, or which movies or.... ) i am interested in, and i plan to keep it that way.

If you allow them to even slightly determine how you viewed this game, well thats a shame, in my opinion. Especially if its the type of game you'd be interested in.

like i pointed out above.. agree 100%.. the vocal minority should never have any effect on how you percieve a game overall

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Yes and no, it gives you an understanding of the possible community issues that could come later after the game launches. You may be surprised what overzealous people are capable of, and I think you underestimate them.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

not a rabid CU fan, was a rabid DAoC fan but I haven't emailed anyone or backed them yet.... 

with that said, I agree here and it might just get me to support CU even if only at 25 dollar level.  Penny Arcade, quit your whining.  You are in existance today because of gamers who have the kinda passion CU gamers do.  If you don't like dealing with end user spam, don't get involved in the industry.  It's a freaking given that most gamers who care enough to email sometimes will go overboard.  Anyone who works in the industry knows, if they get important enough, will have to deal with this kind of situation.  Maybe they should stick to just writing comics then and not reviewing games or having a website.

I agree

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Yes and no, it gives you an understanding of the possible community issues that could come later after the game launches. You may be surprised what overzealous people are capable of, and I think you underestimate them.

not really.. i guarntee 100% of games out their have their fare share of d-bags, asshats and so forth.. now obviously some games more than others but again people who rant and rave all over the net are not a good indication of the type of community a game really has or ends up with

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MalogrinMalogrin Member UncommonPosts: 13
    This post, made me laugh so hard. So, they got some spam in their mailboxes, what do they want? Refund of the time it took them, before putting em into the trash can?
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Only if you think a pretty high percentage of the 10,933 current backers are acting this way. Perhaps you overestimate them?

I also wouldn't give them the satisfaction of steering me one way or another if that were the case. Theres probably a lot more people in MMOs these days i would rather avoid than "group" with. There is a really good chance these people will have no effect on my play in this game whatsover. And i am pretty thankfull for that . The "good" folks however, make it all worthwhile.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Malogrin
    This post, made me laugh so hard. So, they got some spam in their mailboxes, what do they want? Refund of their time it took them, before putting em into the trash can?

so if you got the exact same e-mail a few hundred times from diffrent people when you have to go through all your mail everyday, and i mean go through it not just browse for contacts you knows and dump the rest.

wouldnt you be more then a bit annoyed.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    This post, made me laugh so hard. So, they got some spam in their mailboxes, what do they want? Refund of their time it took them, before putting em into the trash can?

so if you got the exact same e-mail a few hundred times from diffrent people when you have to go through all your mail everyday, and i mean go through it not just browse for contacts you knows and dump the rest.

wouldnt you be more then a bit annoyed.

That's only part of the point.  Malogrin is defending spam, something that is .. well, I thought was unanimously loathed.  Then again, Malogrin also seems to misunderstand that it's probably not spam if you WANT it in your inbox.

Spam filter lists, or content blocking. There are so many tools already deployed to prevent this, especially if email is your main tool for your business. I just think they trying to make a fuss over it.
    Spam filter lists, or content blocking. There are so many tools already deployed to prevent this, especially if email is your main tool for your business. I just think they trying to make a fuss over it.

for e-mail? from a large amount of diffrent senders, and it know what the content is for you.

i want your e-mail filter.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

for e-mail? from a large amount of diffrent senders, and it know what the content is for you.

Whenever an email has "CU" or "Camelot Unchained" in title or main body, put them into a special folder to check it out later, in case something important went there (which was not spam).

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/?page=1

/thread

I'm not sure how, could you please explain how a completely unrelated incident is relevant to this thread or topic, let alone ends discussion on it?

In any case the article in the OP is correct. The spam campaign has already taken its toll and will continue to take its toll.

1) It has driven off a great number of potential backers. Many fence sitters have been urked by the behavoir of CU die hard fans. I myself was a fence sitter at one point until these die hard fans put me squarely in the "No" camp with the excessive spam and disruptive trollish behavoir.

2) CU die hards have breed their own haters. Whether or not this game gets funded doesn't matter now. What should have been a niche game that flew under most peoples radars has now become this thing to despise. Professional Journalists and Reviewers as well aren't going to very forgiving of all the harassment and neither will gamers. The die hards have effectively created a situation where there is no win condition. If the game gets funded it has nothing but an uphill battle now. 

This type of behavoir has really put everyone in a bit of a bind. If the game funds and is successful it is likely that others may get the idea that spamming, trolling, and harassing News sites, gaming forums, players while they are in other games, and so on works. 

You can try and write off what the article says because of an unrelated inccident if you want, but keep in mind his views and opinions on the subject are shared by a great deal of people. 

The constant begging every where you look from the same group of people. 

The constant trolling and derailing of threads that question design decisions and the lack of info every where you look. 

The constant attempts at insulting those that don't want to pledge or simply haven't made a decision on whether they want to back it or not every where you look. 

Believe it or not, thanks to this die hard campaign many if not most are sick of CU. They are sick of hearing about it, they are sick of seeing anything about it, and they are sick of the games fans. 

In any case, I wish you guys luck only because it's in my nature to do so. Lets hope that you 1) haven't managed to keep the game from funding and 2) haven't managed to tick of so many people that CUs future is as bleak as I think it could be even if it does get funded. 

Whenever an email has "CU" or "Camelot Unchained" in title or main body, put them into a special folder to check it out later, in case something important went there (which was not spam).

once agian i dont have a e-mail filter i can set to do things like that honestly if you got a program that dose that share it cause i would LUV one, thanks to my job hunting i get about 100 scams e-mail a day and i read each one to make sure its not actualy a job reply or job offer.

drives me absulutly bat shit crazy.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

once agian i dont have a e-mail filter i can set to do things like that honestly if you got a program that dose that share it cause i would LUV one, thanks to my job hunting i get about 100 scams e-mail a day and i read each one to make sure its not actualy a job reply or job offer.

While I strongly disagree with the concept of spamming people to get attention... are you serious?

Gmail lets you set up your own filter rules, and so does Outlook.  Im actually not sure if theres still an email service that doesnt.

Originally posted by Taldier

While I strongly disagree with the concept of spamming people to get attention... are you serious?

Gmail lets you set up your own filter rules, and so does Outlook.  Im actually not sure if theres still an email service that doesnt.

i use gmail and the options it has are honestly not very good for dealing with things unless you know exactly who and what the content is going to be in advance.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    media organizations are used to email campaigns, spam, and just generally having to sift through a bunch of emails that they deem unimportant or similar.  Put on your big boy pants and don't cry about spam if you are a news outlet imo.
    so everyone here thinkgs its ok to get a few hundred e-mails all about the same thing . . . . . . . . . . ya know im going back to hateing my pile of scam spam mail, yall do what ya want im done here.

• MrSaltyMrSalty Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

MJ has even asked the fanatics to basically stfu.

"Morning all I don't have much time right now but please, please stop sending out emails to news sites looking to get us coverage. I appreciate the thoughts but anyone who is doing that now is hurting, not helping, our chance of success with this campaign. So please, once again, stop.;"

this...stfu already.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

/thread

I'm not sure how, could you please explain how a completely unrelated incident is relevant to this thread or topic, let alone ends discussion on it?

In any case the article in the OP is correct. The spam campaign has already taken its toll and will continue to take its toll.

1) It has driven off a great number of potential backers. Many fence sitters have been urked by the behavoir of CU die hard fans. I myself was a fence sitter at one point until these die hard fans put me squarely in the "No" camp with the excessive spam and disruptive trollish behavoir.

2) CU die hards have breed their own haters. Whether or not this game gets funded doesn't matter now. What should have been a niche game that flew under most peoples radars has now become this thing to despise. Professional Journalists and Reviewers as well aren't going to very forgiving of all the harassment and neither will gamers. The die hards have effectively created a situation where there is no win condition. If the game gets funded it has nothing but an uphill battle now. 

This type of behavoir has really put everyone in a bit of a bind. If the game funds and is successful it is likely that others may get the idea that spamming, trolling, and harassing News sites, gaming forums, players while they are in other games, and so on works. 

You can try and write off what the article says because of an unrelated inccident if you want, but keep in mind his views and opinions on the subject are shared by a great deal of people. 

The constant begging every where you look from the same group of people. 

The constant trolling and derailing of threads that question design decisions and the lack of info every where you look. 

The constant attempts at insulting those that don't want to pledge or simply haven't made a decision on whether they want to back it or not every where you look. 

Believe it or not, thanks to this die hard campaign many if not most are sick of CU. They are sick of hearing about it, they are sick of seeing anything about it, and they are sick of the games fans. 

In any case, I wish you guys luck only because it's in my nature to do so. Lets hope that you 1) haven't managed to keep the game from funding and 2) haven't managed to tick of so many people that CUs future is as bleak as I think it could be even if it does get funded. 

How big was your sample size when you ran the numbers for the poll to get these absolutes you speak of in your post.  I mean you sound like you have it all figured out, why the game wasn't backed, why the backers who haven't backed aren't... I'd love to see your polling data!

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I dunno, someone once said that any press, even negative press is a good thing.

Seems like from reading this PA article the spam campaign succeeded and informed many people who didn't even know about the KS, even if it sort of happened in a backwards sort of way.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    We should feel blessed that Phase 1 of the diobolical plan was: MMORPG.com!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/comments?cursor=2950555#comment-2950555

Yeah thats a bit much...Some ppl can get a bit over excited and forget to be reasonable. But to condemn the whole community because of a few, is about as rational as the few fanatic fanboys.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty