Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the game looking, Stable community etc... ?

Love the LOTR films, Books, Games and played this when it first came out, How is it now community wise, Is it an ok population size ?

Comments

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Hi, the game is still going  strong and is very stable. I see you are from the UK so I would suggest Snowbourn or Eldar servers which were the EU servers before the Turbine takeover a couple of years back but still have the highest EU player bases.

If you played a while back, you may have to do some server choosing upon logging in with your old account which is no problems. Also as a previous player, you will be  Premium if you play F2P but if you like the game after checking it out and decide to go VIP (sub), they have a good 3 month option for £19 ish

Also this weekend is the 6th anniversay celebrations where it is 100% xp boost and various fastive activities to earn some goodies.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

I would listen to the poster above on transfer solution because it is right. However the game is not going strong. If you are looking for a populated server [US] then there are only three servers which would be brandywine, elendelmir, and landy other than that other servers are pretty much dead.

If you love LOTR just like everyone else who plays lotro you will like how turbine did the pve lore but then again one does not mess up when it comes to lotr ip. DONT expect to play a fun and exciting game though, the gameplay combat is simply outdatted and too slow. 

in conclusion: Play for the sake of learning more about lotr lore/story because they did a good job there. Don't play if you want exciting combat because you won't get it. Don't play if you like pvp because it is oone of the biggest fail in this game. Dont play if you hate a cash shop. In short everything about this game fails but its lore.

hope it helps.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    If you're from the UK, you should join Laurelin. It was the EU RP server and is still the busiest server with EU and UK players.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by xalvi

I would listen to the poster above on transfer solution because it is right. However the game is not going strong. If you are looking for a populated server [US] then there are only three servers which would be brandywine, elendelmir, and landy other than that other servers are pretty much dead.

If you love LOTR just like everyone else who plays lotro you will like how turbine did the pve lore but then again one does not mess up when it comes to lotr ip. DONT expect to play a fun and exciting game though, the gameplay combat is simply outdatted and too slow. 

in conclusion: Play for the sake of learning more about lotr lore/story because they did a good job there. Don't play if you want exciting combat because you won't get it. Don't play if you like pvp because it is oone of the biggest fail in this game. Dont play if you hate a cash shop. In short everything about this game fails but its lore.

hope it helps.

[mod edit]  The game is doing fine and strong.

The game content keeps getting lower in quality. From moria to RoR there is a huge difference on what they put dungeons/instances, raids, etc..
  • fyodor29fyodor29 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The game content keeps getting lower in quality. From moria to RoR there is a huge difference on what they put dungeons/instances, raids, etc..

No wrong again. All of the RoR instances are more interesting than the Moria Turtle "raid". The legendary weapon system is now superior to when Moria launched. Things were so bad then that one-handed  Guardian weapons had Overpower legacies on them.

• jprhea25jprhea25 Member Posts: 4

When CoH shut down I turned to LoTRO and have really enjoyed my play experience on Landroval.

Hope to see you in game.

Originally posted by fyodor29

No wrong again. All of the RoR instances are more interesting than the Moria Turtle "raid". The legendary weapon system is now superior to when Moria launched. Things were so bad then that one-handed  Guardian weapons had Overpower legacies on them.

So you said im wrong by giving your "interest". You based the quality of the game (content wise) based on what interestes you better rather than facts. Moria had much more to offer than RoR. 

Damn straight the legendary weapon system is now superior to when moria launched......if you like the insane grind it is right now.  

• GrimsbiGrimsbi Member Posts: 10

hope it helps.

[mod edit] I play on Nimrodel and have no problems finding people to group with.  Also, if pvp is your thing that's fine but don't knock a game just because it doesn't have what you think pvp should be.  I'm an 85 rk and have never spent one dime on this game, yes you can buy stuff if you want but it is by NO MEANS necessary so excel.  All in all I think for the money(WHICH IS NOTHING) it's one of the best MMO's out there.

Originally posted by Grimsbi

hope it helps.

[mod edit] I play on Nimrodel and have no problems finding people to group with.  Also, if pvp is your thing that's fine but don't knock a game just because it doesn't have what you think pvp should be.  I'm an 85 rk and have never spent one dime on this game, yes you can buy stuff if you want but it is by NO MEANS necessary so excel.  All in all I think for the money(WHICH IS NOTHING) it's one of the best MMO's out there.

You know what. If you can tell me how you got to lvl 85 without spending a "dime" on the game, it would be great.

Otherwise i think you are wrong in every level. Give me a link, steps, something that shows me you got to 85 without paying. Heck ill even take that adivce and do it myself and ill never call this game pay2win.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Personally I sub to the game and having a blast. But there is no doubt you can play the game and not spend a dime other than on expansions. I think that was what poster was talking about, never having to use the store. You would still need to buy access to get to 85 through expansions.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

hope it helps.

dont you have to buy moria to access the runekeeper class, or has that changed?

• GrimsbiGrimsbi Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by tokini

hope it helps.

dont you have to buy moria to access the runekeeper class, or has that changed?

You do have to buy Moria but you can get the quest bundles for TP.  I think I paid 3000 tp for Moria, Evendim, and Angmar which also gives you a total of 5 player slots.  Then just got down to grinding TP.  Not hard to grind 4-500 TP in a few hours.  So it took me approx 2 weeks @ 1-2 hrs a day for enough TP to buy all the expansion quests.  Some may say that that is "too grindy" for their tastes but I didn't mind.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nope, since the f2p switch you don't have to buy Moria for the warden and the rk, you can buy them separately from the Store. But of course it's cheaper to buy the expansion :)
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    There's really different opinions on how healthy the game is.

Im a eu player who wants to play on a eu server. Do I waste my time downloading?
  • dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77
    very strong game, a guild i was in at launch still plays it. i quit because of the sub way back when conflicting with school, ive been thinking a lot about going back. 

• muddytrousersmuddytrousers Member Posts: 2

I play 3 diffirent server's,  but not brandy and some the other's figuring there th high populated  server's. Windfola being 1. depends on your playing time, from what i have  exsperinced. Late morning early after noon est U.S. time  Eldar's strong and  the other eruo servers i would think are.

Have to keep in mind many are running alt's.  but still playing main char.'s,  so server pop.'s up high  .  If your figuring  to get back and server change isn't an issue. i would start  on 2-3 diffirent servers.  run into  Bree  check  the  social panel and hit regional asking.  Also hit the forum's some lower pop. server's are  trying to recruit and they maybe fit your time schedule.  Key is the your reg. play time.  I say it's  solid to very strong game  still.

But i'll add it's ben nerfed down so much the last yr.  it's a solo state far from what it use to be, So i'll have go along with the other's on content and game play.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Im a eu player who wants to play on a eu server. Do I waste my time downloading?

There are different ones, indeed. My opinion would be at the healthy side, the engame range is usually crowded, and the lower range isn't a ghost town either (but not crowded, except the starting areas, where you can find obviously a lot of mailing / storage alts for high level players beside the actual leveling ones)

There's a german forum making login charts, based on those charts Withywindle is the most packed former Eu server, followed by Laurelin, Eldar and Snowbourn on the same level (+2 german servers, Gwaihir and Belegaer, the german Rp server). The heaviest activity is between 18-24, peak login counts are around 21:00 (eu time)

So if you have some free time to download the ~18Gb, you could check on those servers:) What muddytrousers suggested is a good way (checking on Bree), but keep in mind that at the moment the Anniversary festival is on, and most of the activites happening in Bree so it's more crowded than usual.

Originally posted by Po_gg

There's a german forum making login charts, based on those charts Withywindle is the most packed former Eu server, followed by Laurelin, Eldar and Snowbourn on the same level (+2 german servers, Gwaihir and Belegaer, the german Rp server). The heaviest activity is between 18-24, peak login counts are around 21:00 (eu time)

No english speaking servers?

Hm... 

This game is PvE only right?

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Most servers are English speaking and only some are German or French speaking ones.

Lotro is mostly PvE. There is a kind of PvP, "monster play" and its mostly for paying players.

Originally posted by Po_gg

No english speaking servers?

Hm... 

This game is PvE only right?

:) sorry for the confusion, I only added the 2 german ones because they had the same login numbers as the previous three.

There are 2 french servers (one of them is rp) and I guess 5 or 6 german servers (1 of them is rp). All the other almost 20 servers are english (with Laurelin as rp, and Landroval as rp-"enforced" aka the unofficial rp server for the US).

As Lithuanian wrote, LotRO is PvE mostly, not PvE only :) It started as PvE and later PvMP was added (as in Plaver vs Monster Player). It's a separate, pretty big zone where the Free Peoples can fight against the creeps (orcs, wargs, spiders as player-controlled characters).

But it's fully optional, and have no influence to the world at all (except some world buff if the freeps have all the keeps). If you don't like pvp, you can even forget that there's pvp in LotRO.

Is there anything "sandbox" about LOTRO?

Whats endgame in PvE? Dungeons and raids?

And what is the difference between sub and free player?

I dont mind buying boxes if the game is good, but as it is now Im not up for a sub for any game.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Is there anything "sandbox" about LOTRO?

Not sure what does "sandbox" mean. In Lotro, you cannot change landscape: plant trees or demolish that ugly hill.

Whats endgame in PvE? Dungeons and raids?

Yes, dungeons and raids.

And what is the difference between sub and free player?

Free to play: gold cap (2 gold only); 2 toons per server; cannot post in Auction house; have less inventory space; quick travel unavailable; trait slots must be purchased; regions up to Mines of Moria must be purchased.

I dont mind buying boxes if the game is good, but as it is now Im not up for a sub for any game.

Some players advice subbing for 1 month (15$), then cancel in order to have access to many things, like gold cap removal, quick travel, slots, inventory space, auction house etc. Affects only those toons that you created while being paying customer.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Community, stability hmm lotsa churn but thats normal for f2p games. as far as if you will like it or not depends on you.

Stories ok particuarely from the earlier regions, expansions.

If you like pvp, raiding, and/or [u]challenging[/u] grp/solo content prob won't be the game for you.

EDIT and no no sandbox elements.

The older raids are good but turbine has since shifted it's focus to pure casual play.  As the last of the raiding kins(guilds) depart it will be unlikely that enough demand will remain to incentiveice Turbine to do much more in the raiding dept.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by BMBender

Community, stability hmm lotsa churn but thats normal for f2p games. as far as if you will like it or not depends on you.

Stories ok particuarely from the earlier regions, expansions.

If you like pvp, raiding, and/or [u]challenging[/u] grp/solo content prob won't be the game for you.

EDIT and no no sandbox elements.

The older raids are good but turbine has since shifted it's focus to pure casual play.  As the last of the raiding kins(guilds) depart it will be unlikely that enough demand will remain to incentiveice Turbine to do much more in the raiding dept.

Raiders are the minority of the player base in this game, and always have been.  Why would you spend money on catering to 5% of the population?