Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    What's funny is since that PA article was posted, the #backers/$pledged has gone up tremendously, so if anything I'd have to thank all the parties involved. =)

Posts like this cause people to hate a game's community.  CU will see nagtavity against it greater than SWTOR or GW2 because of smug crap like this.

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Posts like this cause people to hate a game's community.  CU will see nagtavity against it greater than SWTOR or GW2 because of smug crap like this.

yeah, right.  if that were the case WoW would've been dead years ago.

keep dreamin!

Originally posted by Taldier

I honestly didnt see anything negative in the article.  There was that other gaming site that overreacted, but this actually seems like pretty good press.  He affirmed that CSE wasnt the cause and that MJ has tried to do what he can to reign fans in.  He didnt try to discourage anyone from pledging towards the project.  He even posted the new front page video from the kickstarter.

It basically sounded like a backhanded way to help advertise the game while still chastising the folks who have been running around screaming like chickens with their heads cut off.

Thats how i took it too.  They arent stupid, they knew that posting their article would probably help the project overall because they went after the fans, and made CSE and Jacobs out to look good.  I bet if Jacobs didnt ask the fans to stop they would have waited til after the kickstarter to post the article.  So it wasnt giving the fans what they wanted, it was rewarding for Jacobs for acknowledging it.

Originally posted by nf4mous

keep dreamin!

I understand I made a major typo, but your response indicates you didnt comprehend what i wrote at all.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by dantheman13

You seem to be missing the point.  Governments have a responsibility to respond to their constituents regardless of how annoying they are, and reliable news sources have a similar responsibility to respond to their readers regardless of how annoying they are.  Refusing to cover CU for any reason is simply irresponsible for a "reliable" gaming news outlet, and a disservice towards their readers.  

I Don't think many have, if they where to (the news outlet) respond to every request you would see an new article every 10min about some new product or game. It is not like pcgamer or the like doesn't get tons of emails and request daily 0_o, (that was sarcasim) if you where to actually stand back, look at all the games listed on steam, on MMORPG.com and on and on that list goes, you think if this sort of thing was viable that everyone would be doing so? Do you know the reason for a spam box? Why it was invented in the first place and why it's called a "spam box".

It's understandable to be a bit defensive on something that interest you directly, but it's not reasonable to say they have responsibiltiy to listen to you because you spammed them or 20 people or 1000 people spammed them and if they don't they are a-holes. I have a game I am very much interested in, it's in my sig, I also wrote pc gamer directly about it in one email, I have written them before about others and they never covered them then in other cases they have. it's a point where they choose if this subject would interest their readers and their demographic they are trying to reach. That's really about it. No consperacy , No "we hate u" , its buisness and it doesn't have to do with ads, if that was the case most sites would only have 4 items of news and coverage and who would go to a site like that?

edit: about pcgamer, a game called simcity ( i am sure most have seen something on it by now) got rated around 70% on pcgamer. Many MANY thought it was a sucker buy out and that score would have been worse if EA didn't put ads on pcgamer. I thought it was an honest score, while simcity is not exactly what it was sold as during pre-launch and conferances , it was in the end a game that when it worked was descent. The score reflects that , others beleive it should be a 10% or worse. That is of course their opinion but to me, the 70% is what I would give the game myself, it's not bad, but the online killed it and the bugs. Bugs are fixed pretty good in 2.0 and need a bit more , but alas the game is better. I didn't ask for my money back but louder prominate voices on their forum did, that's there choice, but I thought it was a well written article and review by pcgamer. Point being, fairness in gaming reviews and subject matter always seems to way directly on what your personal belief of the title in question is.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by DeviDemon When they say spam? Do they mean a few people spamming them the same email over and over? if so why couldn't they block them? If different people then how could they expect everyone to know that tons of others were sending emails as well? And it would seem anyone with common sense would realize that spamming an email would have adverse consequences. Who are these other editors he spoke with?  
    It was mentioned in the article that it was an organized attempt to get as many people as possible to send out the same copy pasta message.

If that's what happened, then not covering the game makes sense. They don't want other fans to get the same idea because the CU fan's attempt was successful. It's not the greatest result possible and it would be bad for CU, but at the same time imagine the result if the fans of TESO did the same thing. It would be ten times worse for the gaming sites. In the case of WildStar, it would be at least twice as bad. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It basically sounded like a backhanded way to help advertise the game while still chastising the folks who have been running around screaming like chickens with their heads cut off.

How does a chicken scream with it's head cut off....that's a creapy image....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    What's funny is since that PA article was posted, the #backers/$pledged has gone up tremendously, so if anything I'd have to thank all the parties involved. =)

No, you should be thanking PA for compensating for the pack of spammy eSalesmen.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Taldier     It basically sounded like a backhanded way to help advertise the game while still chastising the folks who have been running around screaming like chickens with their heads cut off.

They don't make any noise at all except for the sound of their feet in the grass and a little bit of random wing movement. They tend to run in circles too.

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45

keep dreamin!

I understand I made a major typo, but your response indicates you didnt comprehend what i wrote at all.

or the fact i'm pointing out how your ridiculous and irrelevant "community" views have zero to do with the success of a game.   you intentionally  choose to focus on a vocal minority and then cry about a community you've never experienced or been a part of. hilarious, but wrong.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I think a bunch of people missed the issue. It's not that media outlets are trying to punish MJ or CU, it's that they want to avoid setting a precedent of "spam campaigns work!" 

Otherwise, every time fans want something, they'll just resort to spamming for coverage. It's better to say no and avoid giving people the idea that this is the way to get heard. Sure tell your friends, make a few posts here, but let development teams do their own pr and marketing with the media.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by lizardbones

They don't make any noise at all except for the sound of their feet in the grass and a little bit of random wing movement. They tend to run in circles too.

I have so many inappropriate comments to make..... /laugh

Originally posted by Rusque
    I think a bunch of people missed the issue. It's not that media outlets are trying to punish MJ or CU, it's that they want to avoid setting a precedent of "spam campaigns work!" Otherwise, every time fans want something, they'll just resort to spamming for coverage. It's better to say no and avoid giving people the idea that this is the way to get heard. Sure tell your friends, make a few posts here, but let development teams do their own pr and marketing with the media.

* ding *

You are correct, sir!

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

We should feel blessed that Phase 1 of the diobolical plan was: MMORPG.com!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/comments?cursor=2950555#comment-2950555

Yup, the idiot posted it here on MMORPG.com too

I had no idea "Time" was mmorpg.com's own "Tierless".

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

all you need to know about the author, ben kuchera:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ben-kuchera-starts-twitter-smear-campagin-against--576873/?page=1

LOL, now thats funny!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i haven't read this whole thread but if anyone backed or didn't back or play or doesn't play any game because of a very vocal minority to any game whether those individuals are pro or against any said game i think thats sad.... the internet is full of overzelous indiviudals that like to be heard but again they are a very vocal minority and should have no real impact on your desicion making when to comes to what type of game you play or pay money into... if i did that I might as well just stop playing games...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by DeviDemon When they say spam? Do they mean a few people spamming them the same email over and over? if so why couldn't they block them? If different people then how could they expect everyone to know that tons of others were sending emails as well? And it would seem anyone with common sense would realize that spamming an email would have adverse consequences. Who are these other editors he spoke with?  
    It was mentioned in the article that it was an organized attempt to get as many people as possible to send out the same copy pasta message.

If that's what happened, then not covering the game makes sense. They don't want other fans to get the same idea because the CU fan's attempt was successful. It's not the greatest result possible and it would be bad for CU, but at the same time imagine the result if the fans of TESO did the same thing. It would be ten times worse for the gaming sites. In the case of WildStar, it would be at least twice as bad. :-)

Exactly. He even wrote in the article: "No one likes spam, and coverage sends the message that harassment campaigns work."

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by david06

Originally posted by Squeak69
    its nice to see the CU fanatics are comeing out in droves to try and denounce a article that dousnt agree ith them, with thier usual venom.

kinda prove the point.

Ben Kuchera started a bunch of drama and tried to get a writer for Forbes magazine fired because he posted a link to an emulator. Kuchera did this even though he had done something similar in the past. Kuchera looked like a fool, and eventually he just started ignoring people when he could no longer defend his conduct.

That's why I don't think that the author is credible, it has nothing to do with his criticism of the CU fanbase.

fair enough, and to be honest my orriginal post was a bit much, i have admittdly had a axe to grind with the CU fan base since a incident with a few of them a bit back, kinda why i stopped posting for a bit, especilly with CU subject to begin with.

so im sorry if i was a bit out of line this time, wasnt meant to be i just got a bit of a knee jerk reaction right now, and i am trying to keep it toned down.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who experienced this miracle of nature. lol.  As a kid though.  Not recently.

As for Spamelot Unchained, well I guess the anger at the spam on MMORPG was not unjustified.  I didn't know it was so widespread.  I'd say shame on them, but maybe this will get them their funding, and really that's all they care about.

• I think the anger on mmorpg.com is unjustified. After all, it was mostly people not interested in CU spamming the CU forums. The other sites however are well within their rights to lash out at the overzealous CU spamming.
  • DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    News sites complaining about spam? Kinda like all the ads thrown in my face whenever I load any page on their websites. Welcome to irony.

I actually laughed out loud at this comment.

I still do not believe that CU supporters sending multiple emails to multiple sites asking for coverage was a good idea. I didn't like it when it was originally proposed and I don't like it now.

But the Gaming websites that did get spammed have overreacted too. Just delete the emails and move on with your life. There is absolutely no reason to attack people who you also depend on for a living.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Strange how some people in here seems confused with rage or something... that article actually HELPED the CU kickstarter.

Ye, he waved a finger against the loud minority who spammed people. Then he talked about a fan of the game who seemed down to earth, friendly, and generally like the COOLEST GUY in the world!

Then he talked about Mark Jacobs, who tried to calmly control his fans, and kinda apologized about the inconveniece, and generally seemed like the COOLEST GUY in the world!

The rest of the article was pretty much harmless: passionate fanbases, former problems with kickstarter spam, yada yada. Yet, in this thread we have people raging at the article: hes whiny, writers failing "their duty", how PA crossed the line and will never be visited again... even read something about "gaming site whores?"

...Really people? Some of you might need to take a deep breath here.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who experienced this miracle of nature. lol.  As a kid though.  Not recently.

As for Spamelot Unchained, well I guess the anger at the spam on MMORPG was not unjustified.  I didn't know it was so widespread.  I'd say shame on them, but maybe this will get them their funding, and really that's all they care about.

been there done that, scared the S%$# out of me since i was like 4, and people laughing at me didnt help at all.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

keep dreamin!

or the fact i'm pointing out how your ridiculous and irrelevant "community" views have zero to do with the success of a game.   you intentionally  choose to focus on a vocal minority and then cry about a community you've never experienced or been a part of. hilarious, but wrong.

Point out where in that post i commented on the success of the game?