Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is No MMO Without Microtransactions

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jalexbrown
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Sorry, I read that as FF14.  FF11 definitely has unsanctioned player-to-player transactions.

are you serious, every game has gold sellers

stop trying to weasel your way out of it

You asked for a game without microtransactions, I gave you one, FFXI, but you are now adding in gold seller sites because you can't admit there are P2P games without microtransactions?

DA FUQ?!!!

bye

You're close but not quite to the root of my problem: Why do people hate microtransactions, refuse to play games that have them, and complain about their so gamebreaker; but then they're content to ignore gold sellers and unsanctioned transactions that are doing the same thing?

actully alot of people hate gold seller the percentage of people that use them is small just like the percentage of peple that use microtransaction on regular are sm,all but that small number makes up for the ones that dont like it.

its not that people ignore it or accept it, its that there isnt anything that can really be done about it beyound what gmae companies already do.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Myself, if I had my way.... all MT and RMT would be made illegal and punishable by Law. Real World Law. No more screwing around with Gold Farmers and crap.

Why do you think your preference is better than everyone else? So you should get your game, and those who don't mind RMT, or like, should not?

Originally posted by Squeak69

actully alot of people hate gold seller the percentage of people that use them is small just like the percentage of peple that use microtransaction on regular are sm,all but that small number makes up for the ones that dont like it.

its not that people ignore it or accept it, its that there isnt anything that can really be done about it beyound what gmae companies already do.

Do you have proof? Any evidence? Research shows that more players play F2P game than P2P. If so, they certainly don't mind RMT, because they can easily refuse to play.

There is nothing can be done because that is what the market wants. What companies want is irrelevant. if no one play those games, and use RMT, companies won't be doing it.

• jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Sorry, I read that as FF14.  FF11 definitely has unsanctioned player-to-player transactions.

You asked for a game without microtransactions, I gave you one, FFXI, but you are now adding in gold seller sites because you can't admit there are P2P games without microtransactions?

DA FUQ?!!!

bye

You're close but not quite to the root of my problem: Why do people hate microtransactions, refuse to play games that have them, and complain about their so gamebreaker; but then they're content to ignore gold sellers and unsanctioned transactions that are doing the same thing?

Also FFXIV has a box price which is the same thing as a content pack/xpac.  Rift has had microtransactions since they launched.  You can buy mounts and "upgrade packs" on their website, just not in game.  You can buy renames and account services in game along with their DLC xpac.

Every game has some sort of rmt.  The only two games I can think of off hand that don't have officially sanctioned rmt through the developer is AC and Lineage.  Lineage you can't play in NA anymore so that leaves AC.  Yay?

Doesn't Asheron's Call still have a "box price"?

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Every game has some sort of rmt.  The only two games I can think of off hand that don't have officially sanctioned rmt through the developer is AC and Lineage.  Lineage you can't play in NA anymore so that leaves AC.  Yay?

If what others do with their money in an online game bothers you so much, may be you should stick to SP games.

LOL, WOT, WOW, GW2, .. would not be so successful if many players have a problem with RMT.

DA FUQ?!!!

bye

What about requiring that large currency (or a rapid succession of small currency) in-game transactions require some sort of GM clearance and approval?  That would get rid of a lot of gold farming at a fairly minimal cost.

What about requiring that large currency (or a rapid succession of small currency) in-game transactions require some sort of GM clearance and approval?  That would get rid of a lot of gold farming at a fairly minimal cost.

That is totally infeasible.

Even if it takes only 1 min to clear one transaction, a full time GM (8-hour) can clear only 480 transation a day. Think abou the cost, and the wait time. How many people you need to hire if you have a million players trading left and right?

Just leave RMT alone. It is not like players are avoiding games with RMT. In fact, many successful online games have them. It does not seem to be a deterance to success.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

So why do people hate RMT.

well for dev sponsored RMT I would say it's either they feel that it ruins their immersion, or perhaps they feel it cheapens their previous accomplishments, perhaps they can't afford the item and feel cheated (don't think this is a very big one actually), maybe they have something against big bad corporations.

I actually am against player created RMT (not like diablo) but the black market one, a dev instituted player RMT I am ok with.  Common complaints are inflation, I don't buy it the game mechancis created that, it was going to happen one way or another, and really someone (just like in the holy grail Eve) had to go and actually farm that stuff.  The big issue with this is the hacking and exploits and there really isn't anything positive I can think of for that.

If someone wants to go farm some poor animal for 40 hours, make 10,000 gold and sell it though a developer approved site, I have no issue with that.  Might even take them up on it on occasion.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by akiira69
    I've given a lot of thought to the topic of microtransactions, how much a segment of the MMO community hates them, and what we could (should?) do about them.  What I've discovered in my thinking is that I cannot currently come up with an MMO on the market that has no microtransactions.  Now I'm sure somebody will point to some obscure, niche MMO  where you pay the subscription and that's that - except it isn't, really; because even when developers aren't facilitating microtransactions, players are finding ways to initiate their own microtransactions.  Essentially the players become the cash shop.  Diablo 2, for instance, had no officially sanctioned RMTs, and yet we all know there was definitely a large community of people selling items for real-world cash.  So what I'm wondering is this: Why do the players that hate microtransactions find these MMOs and then end up creating a market of microtransactions?

World of Warcraft, Asheron's Call 2 MMO's that dont have Microtransactions. Never state a definitive someone will always prove you wrong.

World of Warcraft has cosmetic mounts and pets, which are microtransactions.

EDIT: And if Asheron's Call 2 is anything like Asheron's Call, there are plenty of players facilitating their own microtransactions.

Ive been playing Asherons Call since 2001 there are NO Microtransactions for the game not player created or Developer Created.

You must not play on Darktide, because I can tell you people buy and sell MMDs and even gear in some instances all the time.

Microtransactions is Cash Shops that supplement for a F2P Game not the trades of items in game. Since Asheron's Call is P2P and has no Cash Shop it there fore has NO MICROTRANSACTIONS.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is totally infeasible.

Even if it takes only 1 min to clear one transaction, a full time GM (8-hour) can clear only 480 transation a day. Think abou the cost, and the wait time. How many people you need to hire if you have a million players trading left and right?

Just leave RMT alone. It is not like players are avoiding games with RMT. In fact, many successful online games have them. It does not seem to be a deterance to success.

Some of the system could be automated; in fact this is exactly how your banks work right now for millions of people, and it works just fne in the real world.

Do you have proof? Any evidence? Research shows that more players play F2P game than P2P. If so, they certainly don't mind RMT, because they can easily refuse to play.

There is nothing can be done because that is what the market wants. What companies want is irrelevant. if no one play those games, and use RMT, companies won't be doing it.

your for real. . . . . more people play games that are free then people play games that they have to pay for . . . . . . . do i really need to point put the diffrence between what you just said and what we are tlaking about,

heck with it, ok most of those people are doing just that PLAYING FOR FREE they dont use the cash shop, and they dont put any money into the game. the amount of people that actualy use money is oh hell i dont rember the current average so ill make up a number lets say less then 50% now out of that 50% percent companies are getting more then they did out of P2P why because well lots of reason, but that other 50% pay nothing, most of these people would not play a game online if they had to pay for it, this is the reason for the giant boom in MMOs since F2P started.

so basicly saying more people play game for free then people play games they have to pay for kinda gose without saying and really dousnt prove anypoint on this subject.

we are talking about why people complain about cash shops but dont comp[lain about gold sellers.

please do not turn this into a P2P vs F2P thread i have had enough of those.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

your for real. . . . . more people play games that are free then people play games that they have to pay for . . . . . . . do i really need to point put the diffrence between what you just said and what we are tlaking about,

heck with it, ok most of those people are doing just that PLAYING FOR FREE they dont use the cash shop, and they dont put any money into the game. the amount of people that actualy use money is oh hell i dont rember the current average so ill make up a number lets say less then 50% now out of that 50% percent companies are getting more then they did out of P2P why because well lots of reason, but that other 50% pay nothing, most of these people would not play a game online if they had to pay for it, this is the reason for the giant boom in MMOs since F2P started.

so basicly saying more people play game for free then people play games they have to pay for kinda gose without saying and really dousnt prove anypoint on this subject.

we are talking about why people complain about cash shops but dont comp[lain about gold sellers.

No . you said, and I quote "its not that people ignore it or accept it"

If they don't accept it, why would they play games with it? You simply have no proof about people hating, or not accepting RMT.

(And no, i am not talking about the amount of people who pays .. because research shows that most don't).

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    So what I'm wondering is this: Why do the players that hate microtransactions find these MMOs and then end up creating a market of microtransactions?

Because the players who hate microtransactions aren't the ones that create the secondary market for them.

Amazing, first reply points out the obvious flaw in the OPs argument and the thread goes on ...

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

Originally posted by Attend4455
    So what I'm wondering is this: Why do the players that hate microtransactions find these MMOs and then end up creating a market of microtransactions?

Because the players who hate microtransactions aren't the ones that create the secondary market for them.

Amazing, first reply points out the obvious flaw in the OPs argument and the thread goes on ...

It is just an excuse to rant on RMT & F2P, which BTW, is making more than 2x the money P2P is making in the US.

Originally posted by Attend4455

There's no evidence to support Quizzical's claim unless there's been an actual study cross-referencing people complaining about microtransactions with their in-game activity.  It's very well possible that some - if not many - of the detractors of microtransactions are closet buyers of microtransactions.  It's also possible that there is a subset of them that will use microtransactions for their own gain but detest the notion of a cash shop, because they want to buy their way into an unlevel playing field.  I don't really think it's as simple as Quizzical makes it sound.

If they don't accept it, why would they play games with it? You simply have no proof about people hating, or not accepting RMT.

(And no, i am not talking about the amount of people who pays .. because research shows that most don't).

let me see if i understand this correctly your telling me that just because people play a game that has gold seller in it and still play it means they accept it?

so that means that if i dont like something i should ignore a good game, that make no sence at all, it is only natral for people to not bother with a minor inconvenice when they are doing something they enjoy,

and dont tell me that gold seller and micro transaction are the same thing cause they are a world apart.

your argument gets more confuseing to understand, and lless to the point, could you make a clear statement. on what point your trying to make here?

let me see if i understand this correctly your telling me that just because people play a game that has gold seller in it and still play it means they accept it?

so that means that if i dont like something i should ignore a good game, that make no sence at all, it is only natral for people to not bother with a minor inconvenice when they are doing something they enjoy,

and dont tell me that gold seller and micro transaction are the same thing cause they are a world apart.

your argument gets more confuseing to understand, and lless to the point, could you make a clear statement. on what point your trying to make here?

How, exactly, are gold sellers and microtransactions "worlds apart"?

one is a commponent of the game that often restricts your access to gameplay unless you pay, the other is a third party selling in game currency.

there is alot of diffrence in both nature and how they work.

but the main one is that one is part of the game and one is not.

trying to say that if you are willing to put up with one then the other shouldnt bother you is honeslty silly in my opion and i just dont understand how you can justify one by saying the other exist.

especilly since i for one dont like ether.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Eh, because one is an integral part of not only the game but the design of the game where as the other is a by product, in no way part of the game?

From a buyers point of view, they might seem the same; you pay real money and get virtual items. But from a game design point of view, they are indeed worlds apart.

Naw.  A mt is an mt whether it is sanctioned by the devs or not.  Same thing for the same reasons.

All you can discuss is whether you like it and whether the devs use it or not.

But it is still a microtransaction. 

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Naw.  A mt is an mt whether it is sanctioned by the devs or not.  Same thing for the same reasons.

no its not that logic is more then a little flawed,

I would say mine is spot on and yours is flawed.

A microtransaction is paying RL money for in game things. 

Nothing in that says anything about who gets the money.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

EQ, Ultima Online and Asherons Call, the three main MMOs that started the entire genre, did not have any microtransactions.  

Ultima Online developed microtransactions when they gave promotional items tied to a box in stores and realized that existing players were buying copies, even multiple copies, of the box just for the promotion codes.  I'm not convinced that even EA  realized they had added microtransactions at first.

Not only did they know they had it, but it was the reason for the site UOGameCodes.com and the the design decision to make both the items and services tradable in-game tokens.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I would say mine is spot on and yours is flawed.

A microtransaction is paying RL money for in game things. 

Nothing in that says anything about who gets the money.

Agreed. Evident in the fact that dev/company-sanctioned rmt is a term that has been used for 6 or 7 years to distinguish one from the other.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Yeh. That is what "accept" means. They are not bothered enough to go somewhere else.