Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

"Space Colonization" coming to EvE in the future!

DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member

Hello,

Anyone saw the breaking news in the Fanfest livestream?

Building functioning stargates and stations and colonizing space will be focus for the next expanions after Odyssey!

The presentation was.... *nerdgasm* amazing

 

Also new warp space visuals, ship overhauls, new station interiors, scanning mechanisms, UI enhancements and tons of other new stuff in the upcoming Odyssey expansion in about a month.

And they showed a twitch based Oculus Rift space FPS space sim shooter gameplay! Seems to be some kind of minigame.

Cheers,

Doc B

«1

Comments

  • NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    Awesome news was just thinking of going back to eve for awhile since I'm in a slump for games it seems.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Awesome news was just thinking of going back to eve for awhile since I'm in a slump for games it seems.

    Hello,

    yes I am going to renew my sub when the Odyssey expansion is out in about a month! The new juicy warp sequence and station hangar interiors alone are worth a sub ;) extremely awesome, can´t wait to jump back in.

    Cheers

    Doc B

  • ChoadSauceChoadSauce Greenfield, WIPosts: 91Member

    Disclaimer, I love CCP and Eve....I still play it to this day. One of the best MMO's that never fails to give me things to do. 

     

    but

     

    CCP dev's have extreme OCD......this fanfest's "vision of the future" they wanted colonization for alliances with stargates blah blah blah..

     

    Last years fanfest "vision of the future" they talked about making POS's more accessable to the casual player, making them upgradeable, pretty much a orbiting tank to which you can dock and store your stuff.....and affordable for extreme casual players..

     

    The year before that, they talked about walking in stations....ring mining....going into abandonded stations to salvage etc.

     

    Yes I know they put walking in stations on the backburner, but it IS going to be incorporated eventually....its essentially the technology they're using for World of Darkness. 

     

    to get all this by the 20th anniversary of Eve....they'd need to double their team or get a robot to do their design strategy.

     

    I'm just venting, EVE FOREVER!

    _The Sauce Man

  • marinridermarinrider Tomball, TXPosts: 1,556Member
    Originally posted by ChoadSauce

    Disclaimer, I love CCP and Eve....I still play it to this day. One of the best MMO's that never fails to give me things to do. 

     

    but

     

    CCP dev's have extreme OCD......this fanfest's "vision of the future" they wanted colonization for alliances with stargates blah blah blah..

     

    Last years fanfest "vision of the future" they talked about making POS's more accessable to the casual player, making them upgradeable, pretty much a orbiting tank to which you can dock and store your stuff.....and affordable for extreme casual players..

     

    The year before that, they talked about walking in stations....ring mining....going into abandonded stations to salvage etc.

     

    Yes I know they put walking in stations on the backburner, but it IS going to be incorporated eventually....its essentially the technology they're using for World of Darkness. 

     

    to get all this by the 20th anniversary of Eve....they'd need to double their team or get a robot to do their design strategy.

     

    I'm just venting, EVE FOREVER!

    That isn't what OCD is.

  • ChoadSauceChoadSauce Greenfield, WIPosts: 91Member
    Way to contribute....correcting someone on a term......excuse me....they have A.D.D.

    _The Sauce Man

  • AvisonAvison Orlando, FLPosts: 350Member

    It's a pretty big correction. One is what I have... the impulse to have everything in my life at right angles and base 2.

     

    The other is something completely different.

    image
  • ChoadSauceChoadSauce Greenfield, WIPosts: 91Member
    ........I know the difference, fuck me for making a brain fart. You knew what I meant. 

    _The Sauce Man

  • JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member

    Eve (as has been mentioned) regularly makes huge promises during fanfest 9most of which never materialize)- I will say, this sounds cool- But I will not be holding my breath.

    After my experince with DUST, I have little faith in CCP to bring their ideals forward past what they have already accomplished. I think EVE will be here for many years to come, albeit with not many "changes" or "new fatures" until the end of its life cycle when they will implement any and everything as quickly as possible to remain viable.

    -The people that play EVE (and have for some time) will stay until the end- But not a ton of new blood and slowly the veterans will fade away as new and better games come along in the space, freelancer type genre (IF and when a game comes along to fill the niche- And it will. Eventually)

    Again, after playing DUST for approx 1 year and a half (sporadicly) and seeing nothing really vchanged/implemented and merged with EVE- my faith is pretty much gone in CCP. After the 'walking in Spaceship" promise and the dreaded Monocle, I am pretty well done with EVE.

    -That said. Once again, great IDEAS coming from fanfest.

  • william0532william0532 portland, ORPosts: 251Member
    If they do come through, I would be going back to eve. I've jumped on the Star Citizen band wagon, but as the developers listen the PvE crowds more and more, I'm realizing that the universe in that game will be stagnant and boring. Eve has great building blocks, and I hope they do expand.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member

    I have to agree that all of this sounds fantastic, but they did say it will happen over the next *several* expansions, so it's going to take a while to get there.

    What's most exciting about EVE for me is that they can actually make plans like this and be fairly confident that their game will be around for another 5-10 years.  If more game companies had this kind of long view of an evolution of their game rather than pushing shallow games out one after another, the whole industry would be a lot more fun for everyone.

    I watched the keynote and some other stuff from the fest, and it was very cool.  EVE is such a deep game, it makes most everything else out there seem pathetic by comparison.  I wish I could have a more traditional MMO game like this one.

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

    I have to agree that all of this sounds fantastic, but they did say it will happen over the next *several* expansions, so it's going to take a while to get there.

    What's most exciting about EVE for me is that they can actually make plans like this and be fairly confident that their game will be around for another 5-10 years.  If more game companies had this kind of long view of an evolution of their game rather than pushing shallow games out one after another, the whole industry would be a lot more fun for everyone.

    I watched the keynote and some other stuff from the fest, and it was very cool.  EVE is such a deep game, it makes most everything else out there seem pathetic by comparison.  I wish I could have a more traditional MMO game like this one.

    You make some interesting points.

    While I would disagree on the (IMO) hype surrounding something which is planned over the next few expansions (while still having not implemented "walking" around your station)- I would probably afree totally with everything else and think you have an interesting 'take' on things.

    Yes, Eve will be here in 5-10 years and I honestly thing it will be around for a good 15- 20 or more. I think there will be a core group keeping this game around forever- Much like there is still a community in meridian 59 and communiy/communities around UO (some official, some not)- Eve has enough depth that it will be easy for it to stay alive and considering its a player driven world- The sandbox elements HUMANS will bring to it will evolve the game.

    I also think if another game with Eves depth comes around, many of EVE's players have so much time vested in the World, are so entrenched in the Politics and such- Eve would and will remain...

    I too wish a more traditional MMO (i.e. not a spaceship) would give us the complexity of EVE- And I think it will eventually happen.

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

    CCP is one of the worst companies in regard to dangling carrots.   They love to dangle carrots and troll their own player base.   Look at the all the crap through the years that CCP has talked about adding to EVE and how much of it have they followed up with?  Then look at expansions.  They launch them, incomplete, and say they'll get back to fixing what is broke, but...

    ...years later people are still waiting.

    One thing I have learned over the years, CCP is great at hyping their game, and they make huge grandious plans - then nothing.   As someone all ready mentioned - fanfest last year we were told POS was going to get reworked.   Never saw the light of day.   Incarna was suppose to be something awesome(and would have been) - all we got was a closet(now it is on indefinite hold - Hilmer said anything to do with avatars is just not going to happen right now).   Bad mistake in my opinion, especially when we have games like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous around the corner. 

    Sad truth is, there hasn't been a decent expansion since Apocrypha(that was 2009).   

    Anyway, CCP designers and developers have ADD(again as someone else in this thread has all ready mentioned)...they say things, get players all excited, then before you can say EVE Online - they are off on another tangent.   So yeah, take what they way with a grain of salt.   It'll be less painful that way.

     

    image
  • toxicmangotoxicmango San Francisco, CAPosts: 92Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Teala

    CCP is one of the worst companies in regard to dangling carrots.   They love to dangle carrots and troll their own player base.   Look at the all the crap through the years that CCP has talked about adding to EVE and how much of it have they followed up with?  Then look at expansions.  They launch them, incomplete, and say they'll get back to fixing what is broke, but...

    ...years later people are still waiting.

    One thing I have learned over the years, CCP is great at hyping their game, and they make huge grandious plans - then nothing.   As someone all ready mentioned - fanfest last year we were told POS was going to get reworked.   Never saw the light of day.   Incarna was suppose to be something awesome(and would have been) - all we got was a closet(now it is on indefinite hold - Hilmer said anything to do with avatars is just not going to happen right now).   Bad mistake in my opinion, especially when we have games like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous around the corner. 

    Sad truth is, there hasn't been a decent expansion since Apocrypha(that was 2009).   

    Anyway, CCP designers and developers have ADD(again as someone else in this thread has all ready mentioned)...they say things, get players all excited, then before you can say EVE Online - they are off on another tangent.   So yeah, take what they way with a grain of salt.   It'll be less painful that way.

     

    The same applies to all the various projects they keep spouting off from the TV show to the novels, board game, card game (all of which are effectively dead) etc...  Endless promises, and then either a half baked clunky execution followed by promises of refinement (that never comes) or it conveniently disappears amidst the latest wave of shiny promises and eyecandy trailers.  

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    And of course they keep banning people who RMT characters, which is the most unforgivable crime of all.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • MinscMinsc Burford, ONPosts: 1,271Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ChoadSauce

    Disclaimer, I love CCP and Eve....I still play it to this day. One of the best MMO's that never fails to give me things to do. 

     

    but

     

    CCP dev's have extreme OCD......this fanfest's "vision of the future" they wanted colonization for alliances with stargates blah blah blah..

     

    Last years fanfest "vision of the future" they talked about making POS's more accessable to the casual player, making them upgradeable, pretty much a orbiting tank to which you can dock and store your stuff.....and affordable for extreme casual players..

     

    The year before that, they talked about walking in stations....ring mining....going into abandonded stations to salvage etc.

     

    Yes I know they put walking in stations on the backburner, but it IS going to be incorporated eventually....its essentially the technology they're using for World of Darkness. 

     

    to get all this by the 20th anniversary of Eve....they'd need to double their team or get a robot to do their design strategy.

     

    I'm just venting, EVE FOREVER!

    Everything you mentioned there was things they WANTED to do, not things they promised to do. Some of them ended up not working out due to technical issues, like the POS revamp. They still have plans to do it but they need to rework a lot of things before it's possible. They have to rework 10 years of code, some of it VERY poorly written and that just plain takes time. On top of that they need to develope new content which also takes time. They've said from the begging that the eve forever and future vision trailers are just that, visions of where they see the game going at some point down the road. Never have they given a timeframe on that but in the past year alone they've made a shitload of improvements to the game.

    PS WoD is no longer using the incarna tech as it wasn't workable. This is likely part of the reason why incarna is on the backburner.

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon

    That content was just a way of "what might come in the future, wouldn't it be fun if...if...if...." to get the Fanfest crowd excited.

     

    Who knows.....but don't expect it within the next few years, one can only hope though.

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • william0532william0532 portland, ORPosts: 251Member
    Originally posted by Muke

    That content was just a way of "what might come in the future, wouldn't it be fun if...if...if...." to get the Fanfest crowd excited.

     

    Who knows.....but don't expect it within the next few years, one can only hope though.

     

    Sometimes, I wonder if developers shoot themselves in the foot with the "wouldn't it be cool if" things, cause gamers will hold them too it like it was a promise on their first born.

    I've seen this in so many games. EXAMPLE;

    Thread by gamer1 "will there be swimming in this game"

    A developer pops in and says "hmm, not at launch but maybe somewhere down the road, swimming is cool"

    Gamer1 creates a new thread "Developer promises swimming will be in the game" and doesn't mention anything else, at best quotes the developer out of context; developer says "swimming is cool" lol.

    CCP, despite their flaws, I'm not sure if they are really ''liars" or just too excited and ambitious for their own good. 

     

     

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 840Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by marinrider

    That isn't what OCD is.

    Lol. Yeah. ADHD was probably what he was aiming for...

    Anyways, CCP have had a struggle to get back on track after 2011. But it seems like they are finally finding their stride. This seemed more like the long term visionary CCP of 2005 than anything else. Me likes.

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by william0532

    CCP, despite their flaws, I'm not sure if they are really ''liars" or just too excited and ambitious for their own good. 

     

     

    CCP is certainly capable of releasing the content in the thread title, maybe it is on the roadmap....but they meant it as some sort of example of what the players deserve and what would be fun according to CCP.

    Some people though went into a trance when they said that and started twittering "we are gonna get stargates which we can build ourselves!" like it is a done deal. But with that statement CCP DID say it is a possibilty and technical possible.

    I hope they do it, and soon, but am also worried that all this content will make the game too easy as we could get too many stargates, as CCP has done with craftable stations where most regions have tons of stations. Those stargates should at least be destroyable....but then again, I am describing jump bridges now, which are already ingame.

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member

    Good content takes a lot of time. They won´t hurry with some features to tack them on half-assed.

    I think Dust 514 is the foundation for the whole "Walking in Stations/ships" plan, they already have lots of assets and avatar technology, imagine the amount of station interiors and ship interiors they have to design for WIS. And it has to make sense in terms of gameplay too. It takes years to make this happen.

    Sooner or later it will come, probably at the time Star Citizen comes out, because it will be the biggest contender.

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DocBrody

    Good content takes a lot of time. They won´t hurry with some features to tack them on half-assed.

    I think Dust 514 is the foundation for the whole "Walking in Stations/ships" plan, they already have lots of assets and avatar technology, imagine the amount of station interiors and ship interiors they have to design for WIS. And it has to make sense in terms of gameplay too. It takes years to make this happen.

    Sooner or later it will come, probably at the time Star Citizen comes out, because it will be the biggest contender.

    WIS was first announced back in 2006.    That was 7 years ago.    In 7 years we've seen the release of countless whole MMO's made and released.   Just how many years does a company need to implement something like avatar game play? 

    image
  • RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,231Member Uncommon
    As soon as they start adding pvp to hold control over these colonies etc then ill consider revisiting eve. But their response to innovation was DUST and that failed hardcore to meet my standards.
  • MalsozMalsoz ZurichPosts: 14Member

    sure fanfest from ccp seem to have ideas but ideas isnt 

    We going to put that into the game

    Esp a corporation that 'promise' by advertising a full blown 3d avatar gaming experiance and then

    what I seen the 3d avatar as of late and from official stating its shutdown by ccp .

     

    I sorry I wont trust them again ever..

    MMORPG trend that kills me is this idea that MMOrpgs need to be designed
    in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOrpgs.
    People that like single player game stay there
    Dont ruin my mmorpg....

  • MalsozMalsoz ZurichPosts: 14Member
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by DocBrody

    Good content takes a lot of time. They won´t hurry with some features to tack them on half-assed.

    I think Dust 514 is the foundation for the whole "Walking in Stations/ships" plan, they already have lots of assets and avatar technology, imagine the amount of station interiors and ship interiors they have to design for WIS. And it has to make sense in terms of gameplay too. It takes years to make this happen.

    Sooner or later it will come, probably at the time Star Citizen comes out, because it will be the biggest contender.

    WIS was first announced back in 2006.    That was 7 years ago.    In 7 years we've seen the release of countless whole MMO's made and released.   Just how many years does a company need to implement something like avatar game play? 

    CCP will never get to that point  after some years you see the lies ..

    MMORPG trend that kills me is this idea that MMOrpgs need to be designed
    in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOrpgs.
    People that like single player game stay there
    Dont ruin my mmorpg....

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Malsoz

    sure fanfest from ccp seem to have ideas but ideas isnt 

    We going to put that into the game

    Esp a corporation that 'promise' by advertising a full blown 3d avatar gaming experiance and then

    what I seen the 3d avatar as of late and from official stating its shutdown by ccp .

     

    I sorry I wont trust them again ever..

    That was because serious content was broken, numerous exploits and numerous fixes were needed (als always), and they wanted to add fluff (I like the Incarna idea tbh) and add a cashshop to it.

    I have no doubt Incarna will someday come, but there were other things that needed attention.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.