Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Open Beta Diary #1

Comments

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

While this review touts "customization"... why does my rogue wear the same armor for 10+ levels? The item changes, but the look remains. When EQ1 had as many 'looks' as a newbie as a game that comes out 14 years later, there is a problem. I don't care if alternate looks aren't 'epic', I just want to go 'cool, I'm wearing my new +1 Armor of Slightly Betterness instead of those newbie rags I started with'. But... no, I'm still (Visually) wearing my newbie rags.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by eric_w66

While this review touts "customization"... why does my rogue wear the same armor for 10+ levels? The item changes, but the look remains. When EQ1 had as many 'looks' as a newbie as a game that comes out 14 years later, there is a problem. I don't care if alternate looks aren't 'epic', I just want to go 'cool, I'm wearing my new +1 Armor of Slightly Betterness instead of those newbie rags I started with'. But... no, I'm still (Visually) wearing my newbie rags.

Couldn't agree more.   As a control wizard, it seems my "robes" come in two varieties: purple with odd midriff and purple with odd midriff with shoulder and waist accents.  Thankfully, I've found 2 different "arm" pieces with different looks.  One added sleeves to my robe and the other was a set of bracers.

This has been my one grudge point with the game.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying myself and hope gear look open up extensively post level 20.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Oh please. Name one MMO where you dont wear the same looking gear for the newbie levels. EQ2, GW2, WoW, Rift, TSW (until you get some unlocks), TERA... they all have you wearing slightly different coloured variants of the same item. Why? Because if they used all the epic looking armor at low levels, theres nothing to work for later on.

Gear diversity in Neverwinter starts at level 20. Which isnt really that hard to get to.

• ethompson11ethompson11 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

What killed the game for me after a couple beta weekends was the healing.

-It was bad enough trying to target the desired heal target in a scrum around the mobs, took skill and patience. BUT the heals were reduced to pathetically tiny compared to what mobs were hitting for damage. Which they explained as because Clerics were having too much gold.

-Now all players will be pretty much required to visit the cash shop for their primary heal source. Buy that stone with a couple hundred uses of complete heal, or rely on the Cleric that can only heal for half of what the mob hits for? IF their heal even hits.

While I will agree with you on the Targetting issue with heals, I have found that if you combine some on-combat heals with your damage/healing spells and then the heal only spells you will be able to keep your entire party at full health for most any situation. The targeted heals are a big problem due to exactly what you mentioned, too many targets between you and your intended target. I think, initially, this is resolved using more area heals or heal on hit spells. For those moments where there is an actual tank, it can be mildly difficult to keep them at full health, but you can keep them in a safe range.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by evilastro

Oh please. Name one MMO where you dont wear the same looking gear for the newbie levels. EQ2, GW2, WoW, Rift, TSW (until you get some unlocks), TERA... they all have you wearing slightly different coloured variants of the same item. Why? Because if they used all the epic looking armor at low levels, theres nothing to work for later on.

Gear diversity in Neverwinter starts at level 20. Which isnt really that hard to get to.

You can also take the look from one piece of armour and forge it into your current armour to create a custom look.  Maybe they're expecting Walmart style cosmetic shopping.

There are a lot of armours, even at high levels, that look alike by default.  Players need to make the effort to customize their duds.  I think that can get expensive though, so I'm waiting until I hit level cap before I start down that road.

I saw that you could change an item's appearance.  For the appearance, you can change the color via dyes or replace the skin/model with that of another similar type item.  However, while that is great, I've only encountered two different looks for robes (and they are almost exactly the same for all visual intents and purposes).

I am hoping the game is just poorly itemized at lower levels or its like Tera and the visual options progressively open up with each "Tier".

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    Only level 7 but having a great time thus far as are many in my prestigious guild :-)
  • gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by ethompson11
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

What killed the game for me after a couple beta weekends was the healing.

-It was bad enough trying to target the desired heal target in a scrum around the mobs, took skill and patience. BUT the heals were reduced to pathetically tiny compared to what mobs were hitting for damage. Which they explained as because Clerics were having too much gold.

-Now all players will be pretty much required to visit the cash shop for their primary heal source. Buy that stone with a couple hundred uses of complete heal, or rely on the Cleric that can only heal for half of what the mob hits for? IF their heal even hits.

While I will agree with you on the Targetting issue with heals, I have found that if you combine some on-combat heals with your damage/healing spells and then the heal only spells you will be able to keep your entire party at full health for most any situation. The targeted heals are a big problem due to exactly what you mentioned, too many targets between you and your intended target. I think, initially, this is resolved using more area heals or heal on hit spells. For those moments where there is an actual tank, it can be mildly difficult to keep them at full health, but you can keep them in a safe range.

Healing is also easier if your group isn't standing in the red areas..... tanks can block most attacks, but some bosses hit really hard.  I suggest they move instead of holding right click while draining their healers.  This isn't WoW, positioning actually matters for all attacks.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Anyone can click and rez a down member in combat. The rez scrolls are self rez and group rez if everyone died.

How is this done? I tried to do this on some guy who was killed but no amount of clicking on him, right or left, produced any results

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Seems to me that some of you expect a bit too much from a FTP. BTW My comment does not apply to game mechanic issues.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Level 22 and the games awesome...really love the fact that I can raise crafting even when im not playing the game!  Tanking is very enjoyable

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    @sovrath

when they are down and glowing green target them and hold down f. you channel for about 2 seconds and they come back up. they wont be at 100% though.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    @sovrath

when they are down and glowing green target them and hold down f. you channel for about 2 seconds and they come back up. they wont be at 100% though.

good to know thank you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WyrdsoulWyrdsoul Member UncommonPosts: 26

Been playing all weekend + beta times . 

One of the most enjoyable games I've tried for ages and I've tried many so called "great mmo's".

Sure you have to pay to get founders and it looks like Zen will appear heavily if you want the premo sruff. That said I'm planning on spending less then I would on a Sub. game 

S o far it's just bloody good fun :) Plus Clerics rock !

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by health001
    the only issue i have is that rezz scrolls ( only way to rezz in game,and no clerics dont get rezz O_o ) are only found in the cash shop....................

not true. you can get them as loot drops. i did.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by shin_chan
    Is there really any rules of D&D or name is used only to attract more public?

its just the D&D name being used to attract some dumb suckers.

By this point if all its got is an idea of a foundry as a redeeming factor, then its common sense something is wrong with the game

people are sick of PWE pay to win/pay for any fun trash on top of this so the game is already a disaster in waiting

hallo ~_~

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    When you guys get to the last dungeon bosses in the mid-levels of the game you'll have something to talk about. Also, if you want the worst foundry quest available, do "Gobby's Challenge".
  • kalen41kalen41 Member UncommonPosts: 16

What part of "review in progress" did you not understand?

Character customization does suck, really badly. Looks like someone is making a FPS online. This is just one reason I cancelled my hero of the north package.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

People sure like to make things up.

Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

There is... and there isn't. To my understanding the rules of the game is based on  the DnD NEXT if that is something you are familuar with...

Interesting about the D&D Next comment.

The suggestion that it's based on D&D Next is bafflingly false. Either someone is telling a blatant lie or is making bizarre guesswork. Anyone can sign up for the playtest. See for yourself.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its fully based on 4th edition D&D rules... actually almost 1 on 1, except for the hit rolls.

One-to-one? You've either never played 4E or never played Neverwinter. The mechanics in Neverwinter are very loosely inspired by 4E.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Maaku
    Well, after reading this I'd love to try but again, Perfect World are asses and block Asia and proxies, so, I can't. At all! (Who the FUCK blocks proxies!!???). Let me know hoe it turns out guys!

i'm in Singapore and i've been able to play it. 

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Yuck the races caint even change their skin color, raceial looks are not bad but every dwarf cleic will looks the same. You have a race look and a class look. Or you can spend real life cash and wear your town clothes to the dungon, You can dye your armour 3 colors so far. If you buy the dye for the armour and the trim you will spend over a million. IF your a founder that 1.2 of your 250 dollers.

The combat is totaly a stand still. You can not move and swing your sword or cast a spell. When the red circle shows up and you are in it you simply double dodge.  This totaly blows any sence of it being an action game.

Que times for the 3 possable dungons you can play run from 10-45 minets and the games not live yet. 

Hundereds of people are all ready max level, when you are in the main town you are allready hearing should like this level 60 Gear Score 7800 lf elite dungon farm teams.

The landscape is really nice looking in a florescent kinda way back when hippies ruled way. Bright colors to stimiluate your eyes for candy.

Worst of all,,, Its a pay out the ying yang to win game, wont to open the purple chest you just found Pay. Want a shiny nightmare mout Pay. Want to be able to stay alive end game you will have to carry hundereds of potions Pay. Want to have enough bag space to carry it all Pay. Want to get nice gear to match your new level every 10 ranks Pay.

Over all Id give it 5 out 10.  

And 5 of those points is for allowing players to make foundry missions. But keep in mind how we all abused that in City of Heroes.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

People sure like to make things up.

Originally posted by furbans

There is... and there isn't. To my understanding the rules of the game is based on  the DnD NEXT if that is something you are familuar with...

Interesting about the D&D Next comment.

The suggestion that it's based on D&D Next is bafflingly false. Either someone is telling a blatant lie or is making bizarre guesswork. Anyone can sign up for the playtest. See for yourself.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its fully based on 4th edition D&D rules... actually almost 1 on 1, except for the hit rolls.

One-to-one? You've either never played 4E or never played Neverwinter. The mechanics in Neverwinter are very loosely inspired by 4E.

It's a lot closer than "loosely inspired" 4th.  Sure it's not 1 to 1 but I've gmed my share and this is 4th with mmo mixed in and it works.  Honestly gives that dnd vibe quite well and if you like mmos I'd say go for it.  If not.. why are you here?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

There is... and there isn't. To my understanding the rules of the game is based on  the DnD NEXT if that is something you are familuar with. Obviously the lore and setting are DnD associated as are the classes etc. 

Of course, if you are an avid DM or Player then you might be a 'little' put off as you need to understand the basis of an MMO is present. Especially the kind you might find associated with Perfect World. However, the game is fun and their are lots of nods to the world and setting you might be familuar with. 

Plus, with the foundry you can actually make your own content. So, if you like to be a DM you can make your own scenario for others to enjoy and to enjoy yourself. 

It's based on 4E not DnD next.  It's more MMO than DnD when it comes to the game mechanics. It has a DND background and lore though.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• yalbnyalbn Member UncommonPosts: 11
    morning all. im stuck at work today but is this the place for guild recruitment? If not can someone point in the right direction?
  • DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Etherignis
    Im hoping too get too play this game tomorrow, Servers will lag like crazy on tuesday because of so much traffic.

I know its not affecting everyone but I can tell you that the lag and rubberbanding I have been experiencing this weekend have made it pretty much unplayable past the tutorial intro. I nearly died several times doing this first part and wont be playing till it gets fixed.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    If you are playing for pvp, dont play great weapon fighter its so underpowered and has no counter for a wizard.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"