Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoyed this amazing game that is... until today

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    In essence, GW2 is a feature rich game that fails to entertain its features fully. In other words it got lots of potential yet to be used. There is a huge number of system in place to keep people entertained who like the game for what it is. Gameplay, content etc is all there. ANet just needs to add more depth to features that need it (like WvW->bigger more impactful decisions, sPvP->more divers rulesets and game modes, PvE->more progression after level 80 that is not gear).

ANet got the foundation right, now they only need to expand on what they got.

I have to agree with this post. I have been playing this game daily for the past several months now. The game has issues. Yes. But the base foundation is really solid and different. ANET needs to get some things straightend out and as this game matures like it's predecessor did, I think it has the potential to grow seriously. I just think ANET needs to adjust their priorities as to what needs "fixing" (nerfing).

It is at the point where even if they fix it now it isn't going to grow. It lost that chance. I think the only modern games that have grown are WoW and EvE. We are eight months since release, and the numbers now are nowhere near where they were at launch. It isn't a bad game, it is just off enough that it isn't what a lot of people want in a game.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by vack

It's really not that great of a game....it's just the closest we've had to the best game of all times, in DAOC....IMO that's why people stick with it.

Personally I found it increasingly easier to find other things to do than log into the game.  I'll give you my short list

-No Trinity = Game has no soul

-PVE Dungeons and otherwise is dumb...is a tactic to rez fast?  

-PVE/PVP too solo centric...again without a trinity, you can do it all yourself, thus defeating the entire MMO part of the RPG.

-The downed state is just LoL.....personally it's cheese ball nonesense, and way unbalanced.

-class balance....now that's just funny.

-They sold this game as no grind....however the new gear they keep introducting and dungeon nonsense is super grindtastic....the likes we havent seen since AION.

Change is always good people, but I think they just missed the mark, and or an MMORPG is never meant to not have the Trinity.  Furthermore, although the game is "Free" to play, it certainly isn't for those of us that have other obligations, and it makes it quite easy to not log in.  Remeber the days when you wanted to log in?  This game just does not have that for this guy.  

You need help sir.

Why does he need help? There is a large number of people who agree with him. Some people just like the organization that the trinity provides. A lot of the fights in GW2 feel really chaotic. It doesn't give some people that special feeling. Some people like to play a defined role and play it well. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DruosDruos Member Posts: 11
    There’s enough here to keep you busy for years, but don’t be surprised if you spend the majority of that time simply exploring the world, admiring the game’s countless stunning vistas.
  • BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

I have pretty much given up on the story and the PvE elements. The only thing that holds me now is sPvP and WvW, and even those are dying fast...

I will say, there are still qeues everywhere, but the game is starting to feel bland.

I just started a new character, so hopefully this will hold me until the broken things get fixed.

We need new WvW map, mechanics, rewards, and modes.

We new sPvP maps, modes, and more competition. The spectator and custom arena will bolster this a lot, but I fear the better players that played over winter are starting to feel the drought. There simply is no more competition, every match is just another match. We need more glorious mechanics, specator being one of them, but even sponsored tournaments are needed. Why doesn't ArenaNet host a tournament with cash as a reward? Why don't they let top level guilds have recgonition? There are balance issues of course, but they REALLY need to make this game competitive, because lord knows the PvE is beyond saving...

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Fun game, for a while. No staying power. My friends, guild of 25, quit several months ago. Just not much to do once you done it.

You wont spend years looking at vistas. Once you seen them, your done. Your next char will fast forward them.

Not hating on the game. I feel I got my $60 out of it.

• DruosDruos Member Posts: 11
    I’m not disappointed, exactly. MMO downtime produces friendships – even marriages, from time to time. It’s just that the journey to this point has been about anything but waiting. I’ve charged off into the countryside and fought bandits. I’ve intervened to defend towns from centaurs and disguised myself as a pirate to win a drinking competition. I’ve painstakingly customised a suit of armour – from stats to colouring – and warped sideways into a wholly different game, a sprawling fantasy conquest mode where whole servers crash into each other in the phenomenal, punch-the-air return of Dark Age of Camelot’s much missed factional PvP. Theorycrafting while waiting for groupmate number five is like getting the bus to work on Monday morning after a spectacular lost weekend.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by vack

It's really not that great of a game....it's just the closest we've had to the best game of all times, in DAOC....IMO that's why people stick with it.

Personally I found it increasingly easier to find other things to do than log into the game.  I'll give you my short list

-No Trinity = Game has no soul

-PVE Dungeons and otherwise is dumb...is a tactic to rez fast?  

-PVE/PVP too solo centric...again without a trinity, you can do it all yourself, thus defeating the entire MMO part of the RPG.

-The downed state is just LoL.....personally it's cheese ball nonesense, and way unbalanced.

-class balance....now that's just funny.

-They sold this game as no grind....however the new gear they keep introducting and dungeon nonsense is super grindtastic....the likes we havent seen since AION.

Change is always good people, but I think they just missed the mark, and or an MMORPG is never meant to not have the Trinity.  Furthermore, although the game is "Free" to play, it certainly isn't for those of us that have other obligations, and it makes it quite easy to not log in.  Remeber the days when you wanted to log in?  This game just does not have that for this guy.  

You need help sir.

Why does he need help? There is a large number of people who agree with him. Some people just like the organization that the trinity provides. A lot of the fights in GW2 feel really chaotic. It doesn't give some people that special feeling. Some people like to play a defined role and play it well. 

Holy Trinity doesn't equal soul.

There is a huge difference between a game having "soul." and a game play design.

Otherwise people need help, period, either that because then that's me saying "Oh games that rely on trinity...derp herp no soul, cause they rely on the trinity and can't make it where a team needs to be creative and be coordinate themselves rather than have a role define them and they can't change."

Fuck out of here with that trinity = no soul, come correct or don't come at all.

P.S has anybody notice yet that I am not saying the games built around the trinity suck or have no soul? Cause to be quite frank, me personally I don't really mind playing a game with one, but I for damn sure don't mind a game without one and believe that an MMORPG is a MMORPG without relying on an holy trinity and can still be great, in addition doesn't mean it does nt have soul without a trinity. In fact if Wildstar isn't P2P, I'll play it, I believe it has the trinity.

If a trinity is what it takes for a game or MMORPG to have soul that's a damn shame. Not gonna lie the concept or what it's starting to be like, religion is really brainwashing you fellas, er or should I say it has your souls.

So I still stand by what I said "You need help sir." I am not going to fall victim into thinking games or MMORPGS in particular have to be a certain way and if they aren't my way I am not going to say "The game has not soul."  OR  "The mass majority dislikes the game cause I don't like it." 

Check my history, I don't like P2P, and exact WoW clones, but never have I said those games shouldn't exist an you won't see my ass belittling or actin like a game with a trinity has no soul, etc if one, I don't give 2 shits about the game, like a lot of you guys claim about not giving a damn about GW2 lol, and second, if I tried it and odn't like it I won't return or constantly be in the forums just waiting for a thread to pop to repeatadly tell people how much I dislike the game, so much better things to do in life.

Sorry for typos, grammar, and etc. I am not sorry for my point though. Trinity or die mentalities can kiss my ass I believe games should go for a change and try different things, as I said before if it didn't work without Trinity, GW2 wouldn't still be around. Trinity games can still be around, that's fine by me, but I applaud GW2 for trying something and actually managed to make it fun(subjective) without having to create their game based on the holy trinity, your so call pitiful pathetic  made up  "Game having soul."

Peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Lol...the level some have gone to in this thread to defend the gameplay in this game or the trinity concept is downright fucking hilarious.

Makes you actually feel for developers.

I will say those of you saying one style of gameplay or the other takes no skill, teamwork, or awareness of surroundings need to just stop already. Seriously...unless you're simply trying to bait people. If that is the case good show.

What's wrong with defending GW2 game play in the GW2 forum? Seems reasonable to me but glad it gives you a laugh. 

Funny thing is the gameplay in most games doesn't  rely on or is built around the trinity the players seem to be the ones that are obsessed with it. Maybe thats what you mean? I think all of  the MMOs I have played have other options but players don't use them or few players us them. They love the familar which means they resist change. I think that is natural people in general hate change but seem to bitch about everything being the same. 

Seems like things like this are hard to quantify so you rely on your individual experience. Any gameplay could be made hard or easy with or without trinity to be sure but the familar takes much less time to learn and master.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Druos
    There’s enough here to keep you busy for years, but don’t be surprised if you spend the majority of that time simply exploring the world, admiring the game’s countless stunning vistas.

The art in this game is simply amazing. Among the best alongside games like The Secret World and Age of Conan.

LOTRO has also stunning areas as well.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Muntz

Lol...the level some have gone to in this thread to defend the gameplay in this game or the trinity concept is downright fucking hilarious.

I will say those of you saying one style of gameplay or the other takes no skill, teamwork, or awareness of surroundings need to just stop already. Seriously...unless you're simply trying to bait people. If that is the case good show.

What's wrong with defending GW2 game play in the GW2 forum? Seems reasonable to me but glad it gives you a laugh. 

Funny thing is the gameplay in most games doesn't  rely on or is built around the trinity the players seem to be the ones that are obsessed with it. Maybe thats what you mean? I think all of  the MMOs I have played have other options but players don't use them or few players us them. They love the familar which means they resist change. I think that is natural people in general hate change but seem to bitch about everything being the same. 

Seems like things like this are hard to quantify so you rely on your individual experience. Any gameplay could be made hard or easy with or without trinity to be sure but the familar takes much less time to learn and master.

Well said. And I think there lies the problem.

On one hand people are screaming they are bored of the WoW / EQ(2) gameplay.... and on the other hand people cannot let go of that familiar gameplay and resent any change offered to them.

It's like people are stuck in a bipolar gaming dissorder.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

One of my main gripes with GW2 was the feeling of sameness every player has to another toon even from one class to another. It didn't have anything to do with not having holy trinity rather that they focussed so much on making all the so called hybrids focus on pure DPS so much. I think the combat is an uninspired arcade shooter with prefab weapon attacks and a limited and highly controlled skill selection all of which are essentially spammy fast effects, its very A D D.

Fun factor and replay value in pvp is dead because the pvp maps are small and boring and WvW is just bad because even if they improved it the combat system is simply too simple and spammy to support that kind of pvp I could make it work and even do well at it, I just didn't want to.

I imagine PVE is much the same story since most things are cosmetic you get the feeling that nothing you do matters becuase your killing some monster to attain a bag of halloween candy. It seems like they got rid of the grind but didnt replace it with anything.

It was a good thought but too minimalistic you can only dumb down these games so much if you want to keep adults interested and there would have to be a whole lot more sandbox implementation, much better WvW and some actual care n the pvp to get this game to a more standing order. Too cookie cutter and meaningless achievements. Its just an empty feeling altogether, a nice looking empty feeling though.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by JeroKane

On one hand people are screaming they are bored of the WoW / EQ(2) gameplay.... and on the other hand people cannot let go of that familiar gameplay and resent any change offered to them.

You can see people on both side of this issue being ridiculous in their assertions as to the other side being essentially dim- witted or simply lacking any strategical or diplomatic sense of thought. The whole argument seems silly to me considering both styles require their own gambit in their respective styles

In additon: As usual Op makes a topic like this yet is nowhere to be found afterwards...wheeeeee....

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Yeah yeah, you still love the game and think it's one of the best but everything that many of us tried to tell say about the game is true.

How it took you eight months to figure out what some of us did within a week of playing is beyond me.

Guess it's on to the next new shiny.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Nothing like people complaining a game is just a game, instead of something that should define your place in the world.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

This happens with me with every MMO I've played in recent years.

I'll play and be good on the game for a bit, then login one day just intending to play as usual...then just say "You know what?  No."   Then delete all my characters and leave permanently.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Yeah yeah, you still love the game and think it's one of the best but everything that many of us tried to tell say about the game is true.

How it took you eight months to figure out what some of us did within a week of playing is beyond me.

Guess it's on to the next new shiny.

How many is that you speak of?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

This happens with me with every MMO I've played in recent years.

I'll play and be good on the game for a bit, then login one day just intending to play as usual...then just say "You know what?  No."   Then delete all my characters and leave permanently.

Considering GW2 has no subscription and your account and characters will always be there waiting in case you decide to return, that's a rather odd behavior. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

@ OP - I was origianl;ly going to say somehting stupid about whining and so on.  However, after reading you rentire post I came to agree with you.  It took me about a week in GW2 to realize it, and now I can't really play any MMO's out there.  

I feel like the...soul for lack of a better term has been removed from the MMO industry right now.  My wife has been on me to re-join her on TSW, I just can't log in, I don't feel anything grabbing me and pulling me in.  I would rather log in to BO2 and have a 15 minute shooting fest and accomplish nothing, with people I don't nor will ever know than to commit any time to any of the MMO's currently out.  I do not see anything on the horizon, other than Archeage that is even slithtly appealing or interesting.

Again @ OP - You nailed it, for me it is all MMO's but I understand you and I do not think you nuts at all, I think the MMO industry is nuts for not making a game, for not putting a soul back in this huge hobby/border line lifestyle industry.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by JeroKane

You can see people on both side of this issue being ridiculous in their assertions as to the other side being essentially dim- witted or simply lacking any strategical or diplomatic sense of thought. The whole argument seems silly to me considering both styles require their own gambit in their respective styles

In additon: As usual Op makes a topic like this yet is nowhere to be found afterwards...wheeeeee....

And what, exactly, do you bring to the converation? I mean, other than your obviously pompous attitude and unnecessary remarks?  Yes, Cpt obvious, we know people are polarized on this topic, no need to point it out, you are just embarrasing yourself.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Bumping an old thread with my opinion:'

First off... I have not played Guild Wars 2 in about 6 months now. I played since Beta and really loved the game just as you did. I quit playing for the EXACT same reason you did to the T. I had that same feeling that nothing I did was different than any other character.

The only difference is that I wanted to play a healing/support class so I tried Guardian and it was just an epic fail. I wanted to take care of my teammates, but it really wasn't much help since they don't actually need me. Once Guardian failed I bounce out of the game.

I actually haven't even been on these forums in a while, but I recently reinstalled and am coming back to Guild Wars 2. I miss playing it because it is a fantastic game and I still haven't found one of comparison. I know it will have that empty feeling still, but just remember that it is a game.

Installing as we speak :D

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Bumping an old thread with my opinion:'

First off... I have not played Guild Wars 2 in about 6 months now. I played since Beta and really loved the game just as you did. I quit playing for the EXACT same reason you did to the T. I had that same feeling that nothing I did was different than any other character.

The only difference is that I wanted to play a healing/support class so I tried Guardian and it was just an epic fail. I wanted to take care of my teammates, but it really wasn't much help since they don't actually need me. Once Guardian failed I bounce out of the game.

I actually haven't even been on these forums in a while, but I recently reinstalled and am coming back to Guild Wars 2. I miss playing it because it is a fantastic game and I still haven't found one of comparison. I know it will have that empty feeling still, but just remember that it is a game.

Installing as we speak :D

Welcome back, hopefully you'll have a more enjoyable run this time. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I think everyone has hit that point in the game when they say to themselves..

"Why am I playing this shit..?"

LoL HaHa.. I know mine came in SWTOR when I was just so fed up with the way things were. This was during the whole Illum debacle..

Then again it hit me in Age of Wushu, the money grubbing tactics of Snail and just the in game issues made me say once again..

"Why am I playing this shit..?"

When a game begins to frustrate you to a point where you feel you aren't enjoying yourself or like in your case. You have a certain epiphany that the game isn't for you. It's good to just leave instead of continuing to give yourself a headache over it. You left rather quickly and suddenly it seems, so maybe you'll get that itch to play again sooner than later..

Or you could be done for good. Can go either way really..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    lack of holy trinity and actually missing it on mmo was main reason i stopped after hitting few toons on max level and had my fare share of realm war with group zerking to tower to tower.
  • yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

It think its been said a few times but I believe you just suffered burnout.  Happened to me a month ago with Perfect World because nothing seemed new anymore.  Then I maxed a char out in Neverwinter and deleted the game - talk about a very average experience..  Now I started on GW2 again, and I feel the magic because its looks and plays so nicely. 

I've decided though, that I'm placing no emphasis whatsoever on levelling.  Just going to enjoy the journey for what its worth and get to end-game when I get there....

• mate0377mate0377 Member UncommonPosts: 55

@OP

That is probably the most ridiculous thread I've ever read

To summ it up

You were enjoying the game for 6 months then you found out that there is no two-handed axes and there is no holy trinity system in the game, so you left ?

absolutely EPIC reasons to leave

The lack of trinity is one of the main reasons I bought this game

If you enjoyed the game for 6 months you've had to enjoy also the no trinity system