Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animation Locks?

kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

So I've watched a few videos from people that have gotten hands on experience with the game.  Naturally I'm still skeptical but it seemed to be highly regarded enough for me to beleive that the leaked beta video was just a troll.  They've explained alot about how the mechanics work and it sounds like it might be alright.  The subject of being locked into animations was danced around at best however.  It seems that if you were to  say left click 3 times it will attack 3 times. Even if right after the first hit activates I immediately want to block I will have to wait for the other 2 hits to activate first.. Kind of lame but I can live with that and just being more careful with my choices as long as I can move around the entire time.

My question is:

Is there or Is there? not animation locks? This will either make or break the game for me.

What I mean by this is: Is it like Tera where I can move until i use a skill, but the second I hit 2 or w/e I'm stuck in place while my dude does his animation for that skill?

Or: Is it like GW2 where I can run from point A to point B, Use 10 skills, and never stop or stand still while I use every one of them?

I'm really hoping there's somebody out there that knows the answer to this one question and can fill me in before I decide if I should be excited for the game or not

Thanks in advance!

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
Why is it still such a big deal?

Comments

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by kDeviL

So I've watched a few videos from people that have gotten hands on experience with the game.  Naturally I'm still skeptical but it seemed to be highly regarded enough for me to beleive that the leaked beta video was just a troll.  They've explained alot about how the mechanics work and it sounds like it might be alright.  The subject of being locked into animations was danced around at best however.  It seems that if you were to  say left click 3 times it will attack 3 times. Even if right after the first hit activates I immediately want to block I will have to wait for the other 2 hits to activate first.. Kind of lame but I can live with that and just being more careful with my choices as long as I can move around the entire time.

My question is:

Is there or Is there? not animation locks? This will either make or break the game for me.

What I mean by this is: Is it like Tera where I can move until i use a skill, but the second I hit 2 or w/e I'm stuck in place while my dude does his animation for that skill?

Or: Is it like GW2 where I can run from point A to point B, Use 10 skills, and never stop or stand still while I use every one of them?

I'm really hoping there's somebody out there that knows the answer to this one question and can fill me in before I decide if I should be excited for the game or not

Thanks in advance!

It's going to be very similar to GW2 with little to no forced animation lock.  (GW2 does have some animation lock, on certain AOE skills [hammer for warrior] and channeled abilities [100 blades])

Because of the no-animation lock there is alot of complaints that the combat doesn't feel weighty and that the player animations skate across the ground.  This will msot likely never get fixed as it is a trademark of non-rooting combat aniamtion games.  You hav a choice:  Realistic combat (rooting) or pin-point player control with bad animations and floaty combat.

SUP

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

You really can't tell from the little footage that was available tbh.

Based on intuition I would say no, but that's all it is: intuition.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Abilities have no cool down and there is no global cooldown. Stamina/Health/Magika are what limit ability usage, not timers.

Everything is instant, spammable and available while moving.

Think GW2 not WOW. 

Tamriel foundry (especially the "Development FAQ" area) is the best source for reliable info, is frequently updated and links to the sources of the info:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by kDeviL

My question is:

Thanks in advance!

It's going to be very similar to GW2 with little to no forced animation lock.  (GW2 does have some animation lock, on certain AOE skills [hammer for warrior] and channeled abilities [100 blades])

Because of the no-animation lock there is alot of complaints that the combat doesn't feel weighty and that the player animations skate across the ground.  This will msot likely never get fixed as it is a trademark of non-rooting combat aniamtion games.  You hav a choice:  Realistic combat (rooting) or pin-point player control with bad animations and floaty combat

Agreed - except for one thing - rooting and animation lock is not 'realistic', it's just reflective of the limitation of animation techniques.

Realism you include motion captured combat moves from real martial arts experts with 'recovery' animations when aborting moves and changing attacks.

This however is probably a way off yet - but it would be nice to see one day...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I remember it being like Skyrim except my character felt lighter and faster (in heavy armor)  and my shield bash went off much too quickly.

But I only tried melee.

edit: you do have to stop in order to power up an attack which makes it stronger once you let go.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo