Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regional lock!?

Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
So as soon as I heard that beta has been set and one could get into it, I immediately went over to the website to sign up. Only to be greeted by this gem:

"Disabled Region

Our sincerest apologies, we cannot provide service to players in your region or to players using open proxies.

Please contact support at [email protected] to resolve this issue."

Has anyone heard anything about this?! I havent beel following this game too closely but still would have expected this news to surface somewhere. I missed out on trying out Tera and now this.... sad panda =(

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Yep! The disabled regions for PWE apply to cryptic's game too. They say they have disabled regions due to admnistrative reasons.

For example China has wan-mei so PWE games don't work there. Other regions may get their localizations some time later.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Just as gillrmn said, PWE doesn't allow some regions into their games... There was some uproar when they made it mandatory for STO and CO users to merge their Cryptic account into a PWE one, and a few players lost their accounts due to PWE's region policy.

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1635/kw/banned%20regions

• livisalivisa Member Posts: 8
    Disabled regiones include New York City?  I'm getting this message when I try to register for the beta.
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by livisa
    Disabled regiones include New York City?  I'm getting this message when I try to register for the beta.

You have an open proxy? It says something about this in the message.

I use RCN cable...  No idea if that's an open proxy, (or even what an open proxy is).  But RCN is just a normal cable company, alont with time warner, optimum, etc.  I can't imagine they have high server populations if cable companies are "disabled".
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I use RCN cable...  No idea if that's an open proxy, (or even what an open proxy is).  But RCN is just a normal cable company, alont with time warner, optimum, etc.  I can't imagine they have high server populations if cable companies are "disabled".

Some people use the open proxy to hide there IP addresses. From the sound of it I doubt you are doing this. My bet is there servers are swamped and it's in closed beta so they don't have all the software bugs shaken out. I would keep trying. And maybe check they Official Neverwinter forums to see if other people are experiencing the same problem.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I got this message as well, even though I'm not from a blocked region and don't have a proxy open.

Searched their forums a bit but didn't find anything about it (not surprising since you have to actually be registered to post in the first place). Could just be a problem with their servers.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I know this sounds like being very obvious, but perhaps an email to the game's support would clear things up.

I did read somewhere in the beta forums that some regions need to get their localization yet. Keep fingers crossed for the open beta that starts soon.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I know this sounds like being very obvious, but perhaps an email to the game's support would clear things up.

I did read somewhere in the beta forums that some regions need to get their localization yet. Keep fingers crossed for the open beta that starts soon.

Maybe I'll send a mail, but I can't honestly say that this game is high up my radar anyway, so I'm not overly fussed about it.

It's unlikely that there is a problem with my region (Belgium) though: we always get the English version. I've also read on another forum that even people in New York city are getting the message.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

I did send an email to custormer support, as directed.  Won't do me any good, but  as a courtesy to let them know there is a problem.  

I wanted to test the game out now that it is entering open beta. But I'm still getting the whole banned region / proxy crap.

Did a bit of research on this and apparently they're just autobanning without looking too closely. I've seen posts of people who just got banned from one day to the next in other games and whole groups of people using a certain provider are unable to make accounts on their site.

Personally, I also think it's because of our network here at home, which works with fixed IP adresses and so on.

I sent the customer service an email, not sure what will come of it.

It's complete fail that they're just autobanning like this tbh. I even played several perfect world games in the past and had an account, but you can't even log in either.

So you can't log in, you can't create tickets in-game, you can't create forum posts, you can't do nothing but hope their customer service figures it out (and I have zero trust in this, but maybe I'll be proven wrong). Out of sight out of mind I guess.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I wanted to test the game out now that it is entering open beta. But I'm still getting the whole banned region / proxy crap.

Did a bit of research on this and apparently they're just autobanning without looking too closely. I've seen posts of people who just got banned from one day to the next in other games and whole groups of people using a certain provider are unable to make accounts on their site.

Personally, I also think it's because of our network here at home, which works with fixed IP adresses and so on.

I sent the customer service an email, not sure what will come of it.

It's complete fail that they're just autobanning like this tbh. I even played several perfect world games in the past and had an account, but you can't even log in either.

So you can't log in, you can't create tickets in-game, you can't create forum posts, you can't do nothing but hope their customer service figures it out (and I have zero trust in this, but maybe I'll be proven wrong). Out of sight out of mind I guess.

Some companies are trigger happy when it comes to those types of things.  I know Aeria is like that as well.  I finally gave up on dealing with them. In my case, it seems that they auto ban accounts that are inactive for a certain period of time.  I've played a few of their games over the years, but went inactive for about 6-8 months or so. When I came back, my account had been banned.  

Doing some research, I discovered thats standard for them.  Thats a damn odd way of dealing with people who have used your cash shop in multiple games.  But none of their games are worth having to keep contacting them to unban the account, so I've moved on. I simply will not play any of their games any more.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • UcaniusUcanius Member Posts: 1
    I got the same error. Managed to resolve the issue by switching off my proxy connection. Using direct connection will get you in. Simply put it, if you are using ie: chrome > change proxy setting > LAN setting > automatic detect settings. 
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I am currently in Morocco and my couple of friends are playing from India..so you sure it is regional lock problem?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Sal1

Some people use the open proxy to hide there IP addresses.

Some people arent too bright...

Even a slight search will point people to how to do it the right way via VPN which not only takes care of any IP issue, but country as well.

I use VPN to bypass several PWI games, it allows me to play the south korean clients and even buy from the south korean shops at much smaller prices than in the west.

Originally posted by JasonJ

Some people arent too bright...

Even a slight search will point people to how to do it the right way via VPN which not only takes care of any IP issue, but country as well.

I use VPN to bypass several PWI games, it allows me to play the south korean clients and even buy from the south korean shops at much smaller prices than in the west.

Well, it turns out that I will also need to resort to using some VPN if I ever want to play this game.

After sending customer support several mails (with about 5 days wait time for a reply in between), I got this answer:

"Hello XXX

Thank you for your reply. We have checked your network, but it had been disabled due to prior fraudulent activity. For this situation, we'll need you to try refreshing your network connection with a new IP before attempting registration again. If you still have problems, please reply back and we'll check it out further."

I assure you that I have never once in my life cheated in an online game, or set up any "fraudulent activity". We once in the distant past got a keylogger on one of our computers, but that's years ago.

Secondly, in past mails I had made it very clear that we're using a system of fixed IP adresses because we have a server with synchronization etc (medical practice). They just seem to ignore that.

Another funny fact is that you have to reply yourself in 6 days or your issue is flagged as solved. Before I got this reply, the guy before that was going to refer me to a senior customer support person, it then took over 6 days for the next reply to arrive and when it did, my issue was flagged as solved because I hadn't replied in 6 days.

But I guess the above poster is right, why go through the trouble of actually getting the problem fixed when you can just set up something to get past their crappy systems yourself.

Just wanted to give a heads up to people experiencing the same problem (as I know this thread appears on top of searches about this issue).

After the bullshit accusation about "fraudulent activity" on my IP while we just pay extra for a fixed IP, I decided to spend the night trying to register a new account on their site while bypassing their region and proxy block.

This proved harder than expected: I tried various easy ways like hotspot shield, hidemyass, webproxies etc. None of that worked for Neverwinter, it seemed to detect them all.

I then switched to things like OpenVPN and tried half a dozen VPN servers or so, again with zero success.

But in the end I did succeed in registering an account! I ended up using Tor (specifically the TorBrowser) to register a new account with Perfect World.

Now it remains to be seen if I can actually connect to their game servers and whether or not it will auto kick me when I do (I guess the chance is real).

Overall, this is the most trouble I've ever gone through to just register for a released game. Even registering for an obscure Chinese or Korean beta on blocked sites with symbols I couldn't read didn't give me as much trouble as this. I really hope this company revises their absurd stance on blocking and actually looks at what they've got blacklisted (in my case: addresses on the biggest fucking provider in my country smart asses).

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I really hope this company revises their absurd stance on blocking and actually looks at what they've got blacklisted (in my case: addresses on the biggest fucking provider in my country smart asses).

That's highly unlikely. Consider this: PWE's IP blocks are partly because their company only handles licensing for games in North America (Asia is handled by their parent company, PWI), yet when they bought Cryptic - a developer with two games that have international licenses that Cryptic manages - they went ahead and applied the region blocks to registration of Cryptic games as well.

They cut out a large base of potential customers (China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Russia, Egypt, and Japan) despite having absolutely no licensing problems, all because they didn't want to mess around with putting in title-specific exclusions to their registration IP blocks.

It isn't just that though: I'm not in one of the blocked regions at all, they're just blocking a specific service from my provider because it probably appears like an irregularity to them, the same goes with several people who are clients of major providers in the US and Europe as per my own research on this issue.

But anyway, I'm playing the game fine now after I managed to register it. The game itself is quite pleasing to me up until this point.

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94

That's my point: if PWE isn't willing to put in the effort to make exceptions in their region blocks for Cryptic games, thus locking out a large base of potential players, why would they put in the effort to review their ISP block lists for the sake of a much smaller base of potential players?

Originally posted by Pandaman102

That's my point: if PWE isn't willing to put in the effort to make exceptions in their region blocks for Cryptic games, thus locking out a large base of potential players, why would they put in the effort to review their ISP block lists for the sake of a much smaller base of potential players?

True enough. Except that the goal and intention of the region block is of course clear, while the blocking of other people is likely an unintended side effect.

However, I don't think they'll review whatever system they're using either, so you're simply let to your own devices.