Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

support the savior of the sandbox mmo genre

DIVERGENCE ONLINE is a sandbox scifi mmorpg .the theme of the game is to give players ultimate freedom to do whatever they want in a world that is basically never ending!!!!!! its on indiegogo.if you like it please support it .On indigogo (very similar to kickstarter)

If your a SWG Refugee. and/or a fan of sandbox mmo's . CHECK IT out watch the video below . thats all im asking.....Divergence: Online | Indiegogo

Divergence: Online Part 1 "The History" - YouTube

Divergence: Online Part 2 "The Future" (22 Minutes of Awesomeness) - YouTube

Comments

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

I caught wind of Divergence Online in Corpsealot's youtube channel and it immediately captured my imagination. This guy, Ethan, looks to have a pretty clear idea of what a game that calls itself an MMORPG should be about:

Basically, a virtual world with a high degree of freedom in the way you interact with the others and with world, where consequences matter and where players can build an unique character story and develop a significant legacy in the context of a lore.

What I've written above is essentially the definition of RPG (Role Playing Game), something that both the industry and the fairweather MMORPG aficionados (that is the spoon-fed supercasuals that, I think, never should have join the genre in the first place) seem to have forgotten, as the last 10 year crapfest of guide-by-the-nose-constrained-online-solo-cooperative-arcades-with-a-couple-of-RP-features MMOs have shown.

Perhaps this game will be a buggy mess once is released, who knows? Thing is I prefer to support Ethan's lofty and passionate ideals than the industry's average mediocrity for the stupidified masses.

Have a good day OP,

A Divergence Online supporter and ex-SWG Farstar bounty hunter, racketeer, rare materials and bad jokes supplier and shitty musician (aah, the good times....)

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Claiming Divergence to be SAVIOR of MMO genre is a bit arrogant isn't it?

Not a good way to start.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Jesus, read the very forum you have this posted in. This is the same spiel he has been throwing out for nearly a decade. HE IS STEALING YOUR MONEY.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i absolutely love the idea but what on earth is the guy going to do with 15k?

the best thing to do with such a small amount of money (in terms of developing a game; 15k is a lot for me personally- like 2 years of school!!) would be to spend it pitching his very good idea to various companies to try and get it funded for real.  he could use the crowdsourcing as proof people are interested.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Honestly, I watched those vids and the graphics looked nice, but you're gonna have to show a lot more to back up many of those incredible claims and the outright dismissal of the rest of the industry.

Forgive me for being critical of guys who say they can do it all better, without actually showing they can.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

what makes this game different from all the other many FFA PVP games?

i didn't hear anything interesting or DIVERGENT in those youtube videos about the game.

feel free to inform me of anything unique about it, cuz the pie in the sky day dream videos didn't demonstrate anything, and neither did the words inspire any interest.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Claiming Divergence to be SAVIOR of MMO genre is a bit arrogant isn't it?

Not a good way to start.

Yeah, I noticed that too... Although I can understand enthusiasm for an MMO model like the one Ethan is proposing, the OP's headline's been quite unfortunate and quite an hyperbole indeed - I want to understand that he's done that to drag more potential supporters to the cause.  

Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Jesus, read the very forum you have this posted in. This is the same spiel he has been throwing out for nearly a decade. HE IS STEALING YOUR MONEY.

Oh, that guy again... My question is why don't you keep on spewing your malicious disinformation on the ultra-linear-themeparky forums you like to mindlessly hype up (ala ESO)?

Or perhaps, you may want to defend your grave acussation before a Tribunal, as this kind of things should be managed? What better way of warning of possible scams, don't you think? But of course, you won't do that as you're an obvious troll...

By the way, let me inform the forum goers here that both the initial project and the team attached to it have drastically changed in the last couple of years or so.

And about the budget, yeah, it's quite possible to develop a complex game with a rather limited budget. You'd be surprised how much money is wasted in anything but developing: Bad direction of the project areas, costs disparaging as a consequence of bad definition on the Blue Print Stage, costs sky-rocketing because problems when trying to integrate different systems due to a not-tested technological plattform, millionaire outsourcing of features not directly related to relevant gameplay experience (marketing, consultancy, voice actors, sound systems....). SWTOR and STO send very special regards in this sense....

Last note, you'd be surprised by how many people where involved in the development of Asheron's Call, UO and DAOC....

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• polySurfacepolySurface Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Savior i agree. It will take a miracle for this game to achieve whats promised.  

Feydikan sums up Divergence Online development.
    "OMG working so hard..pant pant... need sleep... pant pant.... and money... pant pant....keep faith"

• Fallbreaker1Fallbreaker1 Member Posts: 15

Killing someone will raise and/or lower your reputation with factions, depending on the faction allegiance of the person you killed. Players can start their own cities almost anywhere and defend them from outsiders, they can put down auromated turrets and even hire guard robots/NPCs. The game essentially has perma-death, UNLESS you have bought cloning issurance in which case you'll respawn after death in a cloning facility, without any of the items you were carrying of course. Some places on the planet (Rook) don't have access to Cloning so going in these locations will make you much more vulnerable. Some species such as the Veli cannot clone at all, and use armoured suits that lose power over time, and unless those suits are re-powered (which is ussually only possible by siding with a certain faction) they will die. Veli can syphen power from the suits of other Veli, but this will require either mutually co-operation, or murder (which is looked down upon heavily as the Veli are a dying species already).

The dev wants to create a world where certain interactions originate amongst the playership, such as bounty-hunting, players hiring themselves out as mercernaries, player groups of bandits and raiders etc. I'l grant you that some of this stuff already exists in EVE Online, but I can't think of another game that has all of these mechanics, while being a 'personal' character based mmorpg (instead of a space-sim, space-ship game).

I hope that answered your questions, you shoudl read the interviews that Ethan (from Stained Glass Lama) has done on mmorpg.com.

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    I like how you call it the savior of the Sandbox MMO. I think you're in for a rude awakening when this game drops. Not to bash your hopes but i'm sure tired of people hyping up any new game requesting money that calls itself a sandbox.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

haha I dont believe that for one second.. the stealing part that is.

The guy has a great vision for the game and has already done a ton of work..

Will we actually get to see the game? Well I cant be sure of that but the guy is not doing this to steal money from people.

Anyway I was happy to give a little of my disposable income towards this as i love the ideas this guy has and it would be a game that i would play.

Originally posted by corpusc

what makes this game different from all the other many FFA PVP games?

What FFA PVP games with full loot, player run econamy, construction, factions and so on are out there? I cant really think of any.. maybe Mortal Online but the building side of things in that is quite limited.

i didn't hear anything interesting or DIVERGENT in those youtube videos about the game.

Really? Well guess the game is not for you and thats find.

feel free to inform me of anything unique about it, cuz the pie in the sky day dream videos didn't demonstrate anything, and neither did the words inspire any interest.

Check my first reply and again if your not interested in this type of game then thats perfectly fine.

At the end of the day its a sandbox game with full loot pvp.. so its going to be a niche game no matter what.. i just happen to like that type of thing.. It wont be for everyone.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    That first video reminded me of some old SWG footage from Tatooine and the front of that house look almost the same as the medium sized home i had next to my guildhall lol. Not a bad thing, actualy got my attention ;)
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by itchmon

i absolutely love the idea but what on earth is the guy going to do with 15k?

the best thing to do with such a small amount of money (in terms of developing a game; 15k is a lot for me personally- like 2 years of school!!) would be to spend it pitching his very good idea to various companies to try and get it funded for real.  he could use the crowdsourcing as proof people are interested.

He does not want only 15k, he wants a lot more.

If you waste a bit of time and look around the interweb at what the guy behind this game has been saying, he is planning on having multiple campaigns to bring in around 15-20k at a time.

Bit misleading really to start a funding campaign claiming to only need 15k to carry on development, then later on, once the campaign is in full swing, say you plan on doing the same thing all over again, and again, etc.

@OP, as an SWG vet, I am more interested in The Repopulation, and as someone that prefer's a sandbox, The Repopulation hits that spot too.....

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    NAHHHH I think I will just wait for Everquest next instead.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    NAHHHH I think I will just wait for Everquest next instead.

Kinda sick or orc, elf, magic, and fairy land mmo's though :/

Fantasy is way over done, kind of want a nice sci-fi mmo without being stuck in a ship. Like to explore new planets and get lost :)

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this looks extremely promising. I'm actually a little bummed that I did'nt get a change to pitch in on the funding and get into beta.
    No need to worry! Ethan and the other devs are planning to have at least one other IndieGoGo fundraising campaign, and having Beta invites again hasn't been ruled out, and I'm fairly sure they'll be there because they're a good and inexpensive reward for contributing.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I don't think I can support a game developer who advocates burning religious buildings which is not only illegal but can kill people in real life.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

I don't think I can support a game developer who advocates burning religious buildings which is not only illegal but can kill people in real life.

lol

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Ah yes, another contender in the sandbox arena, complete with the obligatory 100% PVP everywhere for hardcoreness. But THIS game is not content with just being hardcore, it is going to be ultra-hardcore (one region will have "always-on" permadeath). Be the first to discover how to exploit the game mechanics so that your opponent suffers permadeath !

Having proudly proclaimed that it is appealing to the smallest possible playerbase, it then enthusiastically promises to give that tiny niche-group more gameplay, features and systems than have been implemented in any MMO ever made since UO.

But it gets even better. Not only will Divergence have more features and systems than EQ, SWG, WoW and Fallen Earth combined, but this incredible array of goodness will be developed faster than any other previous MMO, with a fraction of the workforce and a budget that would struggle to support a family of 3 in a middle-class suburb.

I love to dream and imagine all the amazing things that could be done in virtual worlds. But I'm also realistic. Dreams are fun, but they are... dreams.

Hye bucko, might want to do a bit more research before you start a parade. DO is going to have a persistant sandbox for all players with destructable terrain, destructable buildings and flora. The devs are just finishing this large element currently.

I've never heard of an MMORPG that has all of these things before.

Also, how is this anything like WoW for instance? There is no leveling system, no permanent class system, no instanced areas, (and btw pvp is going to be almost everywhere, possibly like EVE), every character can use ever item and weapon to their benefit or detriment, players don't have to side with a faction permanently. And plus when you become favouble with one faction, their enemy's will start to hate you, if you kill someone from a certain faction, that faction will start to hate you and then maybe will shoot you on site or will stop trading with you etc.

• polySurfacepolySurface Member UncommonPosts: 79

Need to see some solid game play showcased before the next cash grab, 3rd person daisy walks don’t cut it.

Feydikan sums up Divergence Online development.
    "OMG working so hard..pant pant... need sleep... pant pant.... and money... pant pant....keep faith"