Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens if the Kickstarter goal isn't met?

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Let's say worst case scenario, they don't reach their $2,000,000 goal. Have they mentioned at all what will happen if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't succeed?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    GEE, I wonder? enough of these threads man. this is gonna get deleted
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by lolunatic

So I've looked through this forum, and can't find a thread about it. If someone is deleting them then they will constantly be made over and over, as I can't be the only one curious.

If you could kindly point me in the direction of a post about this, then that would work too. Thanks.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by GPrestige

So I've looked through this forum, and can't find a thread about it. If someone is deleting them then they will constantly be made over and over, as I can't be the only one curious.

If you could kindly point me in the direction of a post about this, then that would work too. Thanks.

Do you even know what a kickstarter is because its pretty obvious.

If the kickstarter doesnt work then the game isnt funded by us the gamers. The developer company will have to come up with other means, restart a new kickstarter and not aim so high, or just call it quits.

Personaly i do hope i never see another kickstarter post on these forums, the CU groupies realy turned my stomache to this game, and many others as well.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Onomas

Do you even know what a kickstarter is because its pretty obvious.

If the kickstarter doesnt work then the game isnt funded by us the gamers. The developer company will have to come up with other means, restart a new kickstarter and not aim so high, or just call it quits.

Personaly i do hope i never see another kickstarter post on these forums, the CU groupies realy turned my stomache to this game, and many others as well.

I know what Kickstarter is. That wasn't my question. Your second paragraph basically touches on what I'm asking. I wanted to know if the company stated that they would restart the Kickstarter if it failed, or call it quits. 

I'm sensing a touch of hostility from the responses here, I'm in no way trying to rile up fans of the game with the presumption that is WILL fail, I'm simply curious.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Let's say worst case scenario, they don't reach their $2,000,000 goal. Have they mentioned at all what will happen if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't succeed? 

If there true to there word production stops, idea is scraped

Which means the forums shutdown, and everyone goes home.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I seem to recall Mark Jacobs said in the very first intro video that they would not make the game?

Although, I went back to find it and remembered it was a 33 minute vid of mostly MJ talking and couldn't force myself to watch it - so maybe someone else could confirm that?

But more importantly... sites like MMORPG.com learn not to start whole sub forums and do a gazillion "news" features on a bloody Kickstarter.

One or two threads in the Pub... and maybe one or two news threads...okay.  Merge everything into that.

But it's still quite iffy that this will get funded... looks like it might be a factor of how much money approx a couple of thousand rabid fans are prepared to fork out more than anything else?

And if it doesn't get funded - MMORPG.com started a whole "game" sub forum on an idea...

...well I got an idea too!  Where's my sub forum?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

We stop seeing new pointless CU threads every few hours ? And stop seeing the signed up today single post guy just stopping by to tell everyone about a great game he just found out about....like that was fooling anyone.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

MJ has stated repeatedly that if they're very close to the goal, they *may* relaunch down the line or continue development in some other way. 

Honestly I feel like they've already raised so much, they would consider moving forward anyway at this point (although the pledges from KS would be gone, the interest has been generated).  He did say though that if the KS doesn't fund the game doesn't get made.  So it boils down to how near to the goal CSE wants to be to reconsider.

But yeah, I'm a supporter of the game and all these threads are just asking for negativity. 

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by GPrestige Let's say worst case scenario, they don't reach their $2,000,000 goal. Have they mentioned at all what will happen if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't succeed?  
    We stop seeing new pointless CU threads every few hours ? And stop seeing the signed up today single post guy just stopping by to tell everyone about a great game he just found out about....like that was fooling anyone.

If it funds, We are going to continue to see that happen for another 2 years...
    If it does not fund we are gona get a ton of sob "the one that got away" posts for another 2 years.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    The irony is that the negative responses just bump the threads right back up top, lol.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

If the developer can't get the funds in time from Kickstarter then the fans don't have to give Mark Jacobs his paycheck for years.

He'd have to use his industry connections and knowledge to get a deal with a publisher that could include him retaining the IP and full creative control, while providing quality requirements, deadlines so players interested see the game before old age, and advertising to bring in more players to fight in RvR!

In other words, this kickstarter failing is the best possible outcome.

• KelmantorKelmantor Member Posts: 5

I'm gonna ignore all the CU-hate and just answer the question. Today I heard part of a podcast (link below) where Mark Jacobs answered that exact same question.

In summary, if it gets to 1.8 or 1.9 million (which seems likely to me) they will probably work another month on a new Kickstarter campaign and then re-launch it.

Source:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gameon.cfm/cast/38%20Guild%20Center:%20http://ffxiv.junkiesnation.com/2013/04/29/guildcenter-interview-with-mark-jacobs-on-camelot-unchained/

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It's at close to $1.7 million with 2 days 5 hours and change left. The pace of donations has picked up big time the last few days. It's looking good for funding since game Kickstarters usually have huge final days. Also I'm sure Mark isn't going to let it fail at $1.9 million. He'll get his family, friends, and employees to pitch in at that point and drag it across the finish line. He's also been asking people who already pledged to increase their pledges until the end although doubtless some have done so anyway (*cough, cough*). Once he gives pledgers the green light, they'll pour in even more money since it's clear that the pledge base skews heavily towards above average income people.

But in the worst case scenario that it does come close but fail, I would hope he would look at the number of backers. If it's a number he thinks indicates the game has a big enough market to be profitable, he should go ahead and put in his $2 million and start working on the game full time. Then he could come back in, say, 3 months and do another Kickstarter with a lot more to show people. Just the fact that people would know the game is actually being made would boost confidence in the project. Plus he could reconsider the goal and ask for, say, $1.5 million with some features such as housing changed to stretch goals.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

If the goal is not reached kickstarter doesnt collect the money, is all of nothing. They will probably do another one asking for less money.

Originally posted by alakram
    Originally posted by GPrestige Let's say worst case scenario, they don't reach their $2,000,000 goal. Have they mentioned at all what will happen if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't succeed?  
    If the goal is not reached kickstarter doesnt collect the money, is all of nothing. They will probably do another one asking for less money.

This isnt directly aimed at CU but what is the point of a pledge deadline if you can start a new ks and move the goal post to a position you know you can make?

Seems to me the system is flawed if you can start endless ks...

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Nitth

This isnt directly aimed at CU but what is the point of a pledge deadline if you can start a new ks and move the goal post to a position you know you can make?

If the KS does not hit its target by the end of today all the funds are released and the KS stops. That's it, that's how a KS works, hit the target or don't, there is no half way.

They cannot take the, say, $1.8? Million and then start a new KS for the remaining 200k, it does not work that way.

They would have to start a new KS from scratch and rely on people making new pledges, the problem is, CU is clearly unpopular and the issue is either they wind up with less interrest next time, they fund a lot more of it themselves or they reduce the scope of the game to fit the revised budget.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by alakram Originally posted by GPrestige Let's say worst case scenario, they don't reach their $2,000,000 goal. Have they mentioned at all what will happen if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't succeed?  
      This isnt directly aimed at CU but what is the point of a pledge deadline if you can start a new ks and move the goal post to a position you know you can make? Seems to me the system is flawed if you can start endless ks...
    If the KS does not hit its target by the end of today all the funds are released and the KS stops. That's it, that's how a KS works, hit the target or don't, there is no half way.

They cannot take the, say, $1.8? Million and then start a new KS for the remaining 200k, it does not work that way.

They would have to start a new KS from scratch and rely on people making new pledges, the problem is, CU is clearly unpopular and the issue is either they wind up with less interrest next time, they fund a lot more of it themselves or they reduce the scope of the game to fit the revised budget.

Thats not what i mean, I'm trying to say they need to cap "retry attempt's"

• MellozMelloz Member Posts: 26

This isnt directly aimed at CU but what is the point of a pledge deadline if you can start a new ks and move the goal post to a position you know you can make? Seems to me the system is flawed if you can start endless ks...

Thats not what i mean, I'm trying to say they need to cap "retry attempt's"

I'm just guessing, but I would think the community would naturally limit that.  Most people aren't going to back a project that's already failed once.  Even existing backers will leave after it fails.  Now this game might be able to avoid that with its fervent fanbase.

On the business side, of course KS will allow companies to retry.  They only get their 5% cut if a project funds.

Why shouldn't somebody be able to learn from what went wrong in one Kickstarter, refine his project's design, presentation, and goal, and come back and make another one? If this fails (hasn't happened yet) but Mark finds the number of backers to be enough to make a second one worthwhile and he wants to put in even more of his own money in order to lower the initial goal, then so what? How does that hurt your or Kickstarter? If anything, the ability to try again when a project fails to fund would encourage people to use Kickstarter. If it were one and done, then people would just use a different crowdsourcing site if they wanted to try again after a Kickstarter failed. Then Kickstarter would earn nothing.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

This is a very valid post because it isn't cut and dry.  MJ stated in some interview that if they didn't hit $2M but hit say $1.9M they may move forward with the game, while without answering this question people will assume it is $2M or no go.

At the end of the day I think the kickstarter program is just a sort of marketing campaign to gauge if there is any interest in the game at all.  $2M isn't enough to make a quality top notch game so the money isn't probably the point, the point is probably just showing how fast they reach that goal so MJ can go to investors (real ones) and tout the kickstarter as evidence of demand for the game concept.

I don't think the current kickstarter speed of pledges or total dollars committed will help in selling the game to venture capitalists.

BTW the Kickstarter closes at 11:56am ET on Thursday, May 2 not today.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

"What happens if the Kickstarter goal isn't met?"

Then I guess I'll have nothing to play except EVE anymore.

Might check out TESO, but the PVE side sounds very theme-park ish and instanced. I'll still check it out though. =) I can't imagine liking it more than EVE though.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Originally posted by meddyck

Originally posted by Nitth This isnt directly aimed at CU but what is the point of a pledge deadline if you can start a new ks and move the goal post to a position you know you can make? Seems to me the system is flawed if you can start endless ks...
    Why shouldn't somebody be able to learn from what went wrong in one Kickstarter, refine his project's design, presentation, and goal, and come back and make another one? If this fails (hasn't happened yet) but Mark finds the number of backers to be enough to make a second one worthwhile and he wants to put in even more of his own money in order to lower the initial goal, then so what? How does that hurt your or Kickstarter? If anything, the ability to try again when a project fails to fund would encourage people to use Kickstarter. If it were one and done, then people would just use a different crowdsourcing site if they wanted to try again after a Kickstarter failed. Then Kickstarter would earn nothing.

So if you don't get your money the first time you can just spam kickstarter untill you get funded? Doesnt sound right to me.

Atleast put a "cooldown" on it so you can re apply for x months.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Giffen

This is a very valid post because it isn't cut and dry.  MJ stated in some interview that if they didn't hit $2M but hit say $1.9M they may move forward with the game, while without answering this question people will assume it is $2M or no go.

At the end of the day I think the kickstarter program is just a sort of marketing campaign to gauge if there is any interest in the game at all.  $2M isn't enough to make a quality top notch game so the money isn't probably the point, the point is probably just showing how fast they reach that goal so MJ can go to investors (real ones) and tout the kickstarter as evidence of demand for the game concept.

I don't think the current kickstarter speed of pledges or total dollars committed will help in selling the game to venture capitalists.

As I said earlier (about 9 days ago):

Either way, if the idea of this Kickstarter was to generate "hype" and advertise, it has failed badly and possibly even backfired.

Even assuming the project funds (unless it really takes off in the next few days?) it will always be the one that 'just got over the line'.  Which is not a good reputation to have.  That will really put the pressure on to make the game excellent... a tough ask for a tough crowd.

If it doesn't fund - CSE really have no option but to dump it.  Continuing with a game 'no-one really wants' (particularly after saying it wouldn't get made) won't do much for their reputation.

EDIT: There is one last possibility I forgot to mention: CSE might still cancel the Kickstarter... possibly to try to save face if it looks certain to fail?  The fallout would be... nuclear.  I doubt even the fans would tolerate that?

EDITx2: If it comes in really close MJ would actually be better off to sneak in as a 'backer' and take up the remaining $10000 pledges himself... (assuming he wanted to proceed of course!)... and then hope no-one ever finds out... because that would really be bad press.

I agree this KS might have been to create 'hype' and for marketing.  But I stand by what I have said.  The PR generated so far has not worked in CSE's favour.

The number of supporters is very low (they might be very supportive - but there aren't that many of them)

Rather than being a 'slam dunk' success - it has struggled - and if it does fund it will always be the one that just got over the line.  If it doesn't fund - it will always be the one that 'failed'.

The KS campaign has been very poor, frequently looking cobbled together at the last minute -  almost in desperation at times.  The pledge tiers have been poorly thought out and put together - with backers themselves often having to point out problems (such as purchasing additional Founders Points devaluing higher level tiers)

If this doesn't fund, it really is a complete failure. To continue in any form would simply open the whole game, CSE, Mark Jacobs and even the fans to ridicule.

So, if the purpose was marketing and hype, with the intent to continue regardless - then this KS will serve as a huge warning to other developers.

Oh, and all the high value teir pledges are filled you will notice.... so not a lot of room there now... which means the remaining $280,000 needs to come from low value teirs they now need to find 2,500 x $110 backers in less than 48 hours....

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by meddyck

BTW the Kickstarter closes at 11:56am ET on Thursday, May 2 not today.

Yes, your right ofc, for some reason i thought it finished today :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

This discussion has been closed.