Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ArenaNet] Custom Arenas & Spectator Mode Coming 4/30

bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-custom-pvp-arenas-and-spectator-mode-beta/

"Let’s say you’re an sPvP guild who wants to scrimmage a friendly guild so you can both work on your strategies. Or maybe you want to be able to watch one of your friends play so that you can see what they’re doing and how they’re using their skills. Perhaps you’re playing in a hot-join game and you just got destroyed by someone, and you want to look at how they’re playing and what skills their using. Or, better yet, let’s say I just want to set up one-on-one duels inside my guild, pitting two players against each other, while the rest of the guild watches. Or maybe all I want to do is find a place where only my friends and I can play where we can’t be interrupted by other players."

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    A good start, but I need some kind of ranking system.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I thought there already is a ranking system. Those leaderboards on their website.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by colddog04

ranking system was already put in.. think it was last patch or the one before.. forgot..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/pvp

This is not a game.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Frankly, I find those features completely uninteresting and boring.

Then again, what I love about GW2 is PvE and not PvP.

PvP in GW2 seems to be everything I don't want it to be, hehe, so there :)

It's almost like they took this absolutely fantastic engine and used their considerable talents to create the LEAST interesting kind of PvP using as much effort as possible.

The game has so many things going for it - so it's really unfortunate that I disagree so severely with them about what makes for interesting PvP.

• DruosDruos Member Posts: 11

Me too agreed to this. ranking system will be great if they will have this, another worht it competition for all players better if individual ranking so we could see who's on the top of all server.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Spectator mode and custom arenas are a HUGE addition.

I don't think most people realise the impact this will have on GW2 tournament pvp.

Everyone reading this better start looking for a team and getting ready to twitch-stream like hobos begging for quarters.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Druos

Me too agreed to this. ranking system will be great if they will have this, another worht it competition for all players better if individual ranking so we could see who's on the top of all server.

not sure how you guys missed it but like said above its been in

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/pvp

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I liked spectator mode in GW1 to watch GvG battles.  It could tell you a lot about the build state of the game.

I'm not sure how interesting spectator will be for me in GW2.  Also the leaderboards and the pvp needs more GvG focus.  The current pvp leader means little to me.  What defines that?  So far sPvP has been the least interesting thing about GW2, to me.  It needs the same flavor and character sPvP had in GW1.  Also the idea of paying for tournament slots doesn't appeal to me.

FIrstly, the Spectator Mode sounds like GW1's with a few extra features, so no need to worry :)

I don't dislike Conquest mode; I dislike that we ONLY have conquest mode.

We do need some sort of guild base PvP. Call it GvG, call it Death Match, w/e. There should be incentives for GUILDS to be #1 in addition to individuals being highly rated.

Once the game gets 3-4 PvP modes, I think they can then focus on making each one unique. I do applaud them for adding maps, but there need to be more objectives than conquest.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I agree. sPvP just feels too generic. Conquest is cool and all, but it needs a couple of things to make it worthwhile and interesting to play. Something unique, something progressive. Like conquest on BF in which you progress through the map like a campaign or something else to add to it.

I understand ANet's drive to keep sPvP accessible, but there needs to be mechanics that keep the game fresh. GvG in GW1 was huge and not really a complexity monster. Just DM, CTF and kill the lord mixed together. This mix allowed for a huge number of tactics, strategies and kept pvp fresh for 8 years. I still cannot imagine why they wouldn't adapt this mode to GW2. Ofc, some things should be changed, but the concept sounds much more interesting than all the secondary mechanics combined and whatever they come up with. They should turn secondary mechanics into primary for a start.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    I agree. sPvP just feels too generic. Conquest is cool and all, but it needs a couple of things to make it worthwhile and interesting to play. Something unique, something progressive. Like conquest on BF in which you progress through the map like a campaign or something else to add to it.

I understand ANet's drive to keep sPvP accessible, but there needs to be mechanics that keep the game fresh. GvG in GW1 was huge and not really a complexity monster. Just DM, CTF and kill the lord mixed together. This mix allowed for a huge number of tactics, strategies and kept pvp fresh for 8 years. I still cannot imagine why they wouldn't adapt this mode to GW2. Ofc, some things should be changed, but the concept sounds much more interesting than all the secondary mechanics combined and whatever they come up with. They should turn secondary mechanics into primary for a start.

If A-NET has some sense, I'm sure this will come, when I guess is the question.

They might be waiting to bring it in alongside some maps and etc. That or expansion, which is why I had from the start low expectations of pvp cause I knew it'd take time from the start. Maybe it'd be different if when I played GW1 from it's start which assuming from the way people talk it came out with all these modes, customisable skills and etc all from the beginning, right?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from ops link

We’ll make spectator mode available as soon as we begin the custom arena beta. Anyone in a hot-join game or a custom arena game (as long as spectator is enabled in the arena’s settings) can use spectator mode.

For games that impact the leaderboard, we won’t be allowing players to spectate directly, for a few reasons. One is due to cheating – we want to be sure that the game is fair for the combatants. Another reason is to help foster the PvP shoutcasting community. Later, down the road, select shoutcasters will be able to jump into high-level ladder games and spectate, which will allow them to cover all the action at the top of our leaderboards. This will also allow the player community to learn from high-level players as well as the shoutcasters, who help to explain the skills and tactics required to play sPvP at the top levels.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I have big hopes for spectator mode. I actually think it will have a good effect on pve too b/c people will see popular, good builds and will try to copy them. I'm one of those who actually like fotm builds changing as ofthen as possible. It makes the game more alive. Right now it almost feels like people don't bother to make any kind of build in pve.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    These are great changes in my opinion, but they really need various gametypes for SPvP.  Conquest mode got old in the first month.  The maps seem very small too.  All in good time i guess.