Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two tumbs down!

Comments

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by rygard49

At 25k AD per day, it would take you 80 days capping AD to get the tier 3 mount. Almost 3 months of time, without spending any AD on ANYTHING else, for one purchase. This is what the free to play model is all about. Show you the desirable item, and then make the effort to obtain it unreasonable for an average player, which then drives that average player into the cash shop.

Games are about fun right? Is getting a new mount necessary to game play? Nope. Is it fun? Yes. Is saving up 80 days worth of AD fun? No.

Free to play is destroying the fun in this genre.

You can earn refined AD from other content and from AH sales.

You can get a mount, which you want for fun right?, for fairly cheap. You want the best mounts in the game right now without time, effort, or money.  I don't think F2P is killing the genre.  Impatience and entitlement come to mind first.

This has nothing to do with impatience and entitlement. But F2P pushing grinds to the extreme, to slap the cash shop in our faces.

P2P games have also Epic Mounts that take effort to get. Especially in EverQuest 2 it used to be quite the grind. But still that grind was doable and nowhere near the grind you see in Neverwinter.

For hardcore players who don't care about family and social life and dedicate their lives to gaming and play 10 hours a day... I guess these types of F2P games totally suits them.

But the vast majority of players don't play that many hours a day.... and a lot of them will be put off from the game, when they play it for a while and hit the "wall of grind" sooner than later.

So if you plan on playing the game for 6 months, buy your 50-60$ mount and you still paid less than a subscription would cost...

I mean, most people who "don't play that many hours a day" have lives/jobs/families and hopefully money for their hobbies - right?

You all just nitpicking on a single thing. It's not just mounts.

EVERYTHING in this game is a huge AD sink. The higher level you get, the faster you burn through AD.

Beyond level 30 you will start burning through AD at an alarming rate. Much faster than you can get through ingame means.

Weird, I am at lvl 34 and haven't spend a single bit of AD yet, nor do I feel the need. Maybe it will get worst, I don't know, but so far so good.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

At 25k AD per day, it would take you 80 days capping AD to get the tier 3 mount. Almost 3 months of time, without spending any AD on ANYTHING else, for one purchase. This is what the free to play model is all about. Show you the desirable item, and then make the effort to obtain it unreasonable for an average player, which then drives that average player into the cash shop.

Games are about fun right? Is getting a new mount necessary to game play? Nope. Is it fun? Yes. Is saving up 80 days worth of AD fun? No.

You can earn refined AD from other content and from AH sales.

You can get a mount, which you want for fun right?, for fairly cheap. You want the best mounts in the game right now without time, effort, or money.  I don't think F2P is killing the genre.  Impatience and entitlement come to mind first.

You know as well as I do that the draw, and the fun, of purchasing mounts comes from the skin of the mount, not the effect it gives my character. That's why they have taken the time to create those skins, to create desire for a certain look. Your solution here is that I should buy a different mount that doesn't take as long to get, and that that will somehow be the same as getting whatever my desired mount is.

Let me be clear. I have no problem putting in the effort to get a mount that I want. In fact, I'd prefer to put in effort, because that makes the reward all the more desireable. But that effort needs to come in a form that's interesting, like an epic questline, or fulfilling certain achievements. Choosing between simply hanging on to an extremely bloated amount of game currency, or spending money in the cash shop is not rewarding. That kind of choice is not what should be in a game.

Impatience can only really be argued if it took a reasonable amount of time to obtain the items, which of course will vary from person to person. But I think for most people 3 months is beyond what would be considered reasonable for such a mundane form of purchase.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Not too long ago, the general opinion was that: "P2P is destroying the fun in this genre".

A great many people believed that "not having to pay to play" would be more fun than anything else.

Seems that did not end well ?

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by PieRad
    Originally posted by Emeraq
    Wait... You're requesting a refund because you don't want to pay the listed prices for other items in the cash shop???  I truly hope you are declined, as you clearly state the game is fun and decently designed, so you clearly aren't unhappy with the product you received.. it's the other products that you haven't even paid for that you are pissed about... Some people amaze me.

What a nice guy you are, to stand up for a company ripping off gamers...

Round of applause for this gentleman right 'ere!

Wait its a feee game, cost nothing to download and play, nothing in the cash shop is required to play and have fun. The items in the cash shop are not P2W and can be aquired by in game play.  How exactly are they ripping off gamers? As the guy said some people amaze me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AderewAderew Member UncommonPosts: 46
    You can also receive Astral Diamonds from selling items via auction house.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Not too long ago, the general opinion was that: "P2P is destroying the fun in this genre".

A great many people believed that "not having to pay to play" would be more fun than anything else.

There's always going to be two or more camps in this regard, and we're going to believe differently. I've always been a proponent of P2P. Some people think F2P is the best, and fool themselves into thinking they won't spend more than a sub for the amount of time played. It probably works out for some, but I think for the amount of time people spend in games nowadays, they're probably getting less value than they've led themselves to believe.

it's weird that we've come to the point of fanboying our preferred payment model for the genre, but there it is.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

It is sad but this is why most games are made for content locusts. No one wants to sit back and enjoy the ride, they are all concerned with being the best on the server right away. I can only play an hour a day if I am lucky, yet I can still have fun. I dont understand these grind arguments...you mean you have goals that take more then 5 minutes? thus youl come back to the game over and over again for longer periods of time to achieve these goals? and the content does not run out in 5 days because it takes time to earn stuff?

Count me in! I can't wait to play NWO....next week when finals are done. image

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

The entitlement generation in overdrive.

Its fun, its free, and yet some people still manage to pick fault with that.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

This appears to be a common trend these days with people get so butt hurt about cash shop related items. Sure, I would concede I would rather everything be in the game without a cash shop ever being present. However, this is a F2P MMO and they have costs and a profit to make. 

They obviously want you to play the game and have fun with it, after all which game developer wouldn't want others to enjoy the work they have slaved over but they also understand that money has to be made. 

As long as the items are 'not' required to progress and are nothing more than cosmetic or alternative means are in place to where the items can be earned alternatively then I am perfectly okay with it. Especially with this game which has a foundry system in place to give you new regular content. 

Just out of interest, how do you earn the other form of currency? The one that you can exchange without paying any money?

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    PWE has always been a clever money sucker. they just enhanced their gameplan. they saw the number of suckers wasting cash in their shitty f2p games in western market is very high but the number of suckers who defend their shitty f2p game and pay2win cash hop are even higher. so they realized if they step up their gameplan, buy a western publisher and buy license to publish game of some well know IP(star trek, D&D) then all the suckers in the world would just jump in to waste as much as cash they can in PWE. this mediocre piece of trash being treated as holy grail just because it has "dungeons& dragons" in it's name and people are saying "respec was never in D&D, so asking money to respec is fine" to defend this trash. PWE is as usual spot on, they were the 1st ever company to publish a complete pay2win game in western market and turn it into huge success, obviously their business mind and psychological understanding of today's mmo gamers is awesome. i applaud them for this at the very least. but people who are defending them, i got nothing to say but a quote i read somewhere : "you can help a blind man see the world if he can open his mind but a man with clear eyes who closed his mind will never see the obvious truth right before his eyes".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
    PWE is P2W everyone knows this.  All of thier games are highly pay to win, they make thier money overseas where they like that sort of thing.  Launching it here is just bonus for them.

how can a game without pvp be P2W?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

depends on game

PS2, GW2 amongst others do it pretty fair.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
    PWE is P2W everyone knows this.  All of thier games are highly pay to win, they make thier money overseas where they like that sort of thing.  Launching it here is just bonus for them.

how can a game without pvp be P2W?

Neverwinter has PvP (Arenas and Battlegrounds)

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Why are you people defending $30-$40 mounts?

Why do you immediately reply "this isn't easy like WoW"?

I swear, some people just troll to troll.

Sorry Jero, it's disappointing to hear as I was considering giving this badboy a good free throw and see...

Because we don't care,  don't buy the damn mount.  Apparently people are buying the mount, and the people buying the mount are the ones funding your ability to play a game for free.

i get it, you want to play free and have quick access to the games fluff items too.  I want a buy a house on the beach in the Bahamas for $10 ... Life's a bitch, that's not how it works.

is the zen store overpriced?  Damn right it is.  But people obviously pay those prices, and that's how the game funds itself so you and me can play for absolutely free... So what exactly are you complaining about?  If you really want to piss and moan, do so to the players that pay $40 for a mount, they are the ones that keep the prices high.  Just realize the massive amount of money they are dumping into the game is going towards new content, classes, etc.... So you are basically slapping the hand that feeds you your free game.

Pay attention everyone... this man's got it!

Where did you think the money for this game was going to come from?  Ad revenue?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Silax

Sorry Jero, it's disappointing to hear as I was considering giving this badboy a good free throw and see...

Because we don't care,  don't buy the damn mount.  Apparently people are buying the mount, and the people buying the mount are the ones funding your ability to play a game for free.

i get it, you want to play free and have quick access to the games fluff items too.  I want a buy a house on the beach in the Bahamas for $10 ... Life's a bitch, that's not how it works.

is the zen store overpriced?  Damn right it is.  But people obviously pay those prices, and that's how the game funds itself so you and me can play for absolutely free... So what exactly are you complaining about?  If you really want to piss and moan, do so to the players that pay $40 for a mount, they are the ones that keep the prices high.  Just realize the massive amount of money they are dumping into the game is going towards new content, classes, etc.... So you are basically slapping the hand that feeds you your free game.

Where did you think the money for this game was going to come from?  Ad revenue?

Why can't more people be like you two?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• darksilverdarksilver Member Posts: 44

Au contraire, http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PWRD . ;)

Just to be clear, of course we pay for it through fonder kits and ingame shop  but don't kidding yourself. PWE wants to make money, not because the love us but because it's the business. Have no problems to throw some $ at them but there is always a limit.....

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

I'd gladly pay 20$ for mount, but not fuckin 40$ where i can buy even 2 standalone games for this price :).

If They cut the prices a half, they would have better revenue. Ask me why? It's the same with the taxes. If the taxes are high, ppl can't afford certain stuff, so they don't buy, so there is no additional money to the national budget. Wanna example? Poland, our goverment rised VAT from 22% to 23%, they expected 1 billion more income, but guess what...IN THE LAST YEAR THERE WAS 600mln LESS MONEY IN THE BUDGET THAN THE YEAR BEFORE WHEN THE VAT WAS 22% CUZ PPL BOUGHT LESS STUFF. 

I would like to pay, but there is a limit, if some company wants to rip me off for fuckin pixel mount that costs 40$? FUCK THEM.

Yes it's all vanity items, that are not needed. Thats why i'll still play the game and buy from the IS some minor stuff, i have my monthly budget for games set to 60$ and i wont extend it. I need money for many stuff that are more important :)

• kamiyadorikamiyadori Member Posts: 14

I read the OPs opening topic and Lost faith in Humanity

Read The Replies.It has been Restored.

• KeppyKeppy Member UncommonPosts: 28
    If you have played any other games from PWE, you will see that this game will be Pay To Win.  Aerowyn, you should know that. ;o)
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Or paying overinflated salaries?  Did SWTOR's profit go to new content, classes, ect  and fix what needed to be fixed?  New content has never really been a big sales pitch by Cryptic, and even if it was call me unenthused as I really see their "content" highly lackluster and way too generic.  Classes is the big thing they need to deliver on as the selection is really crap atm.

I can understand a revenue system  is needed while I don't agree with how its implement what I don't stand for is a lack lusted and mediocere MMO which is what Neverwinter is.  It's a damn shame that they took a much loved IP and turned it into some cheesey themepark attraction park and less than have the features one would expect.  But I guess they HAD to go F2P as no one would pay a dime besides die hard fans with what the end product is, severely disappointed in what came out in the end.  Had such high hopes for Neverwinter.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by furbans

Or paying overinflated salaries?  Did SWTOR's profit go to new content, classes, ect  and fix what needed to be fixed?  New content has never really been a big sales pitch by Cryptic, and even if it was call me unenthused as I really see their "content" highly lackluster and way too generic.  Classes is the big thing they need to deliver on as the selection is really crap atm.

I can understand a revenue system  is needed while I don't agree with how its implement what I don't stand for is a lack lusted and mediocere MMO which is what Neverwinter is.  It's a damn shame that they took a much loved IP and turned it into some cheesey themepark attraction park and less than have the features one would expect.  But I guess they HAD to go F2P as no one would pay a dime besides die hard fans with what the end product is, severely disappointed in what came out in the end.  Had such high hopes for Neverwinter.

When it comes to stay true to D&D ruleset, then Turbine's DDO blows this game straight out of the water.

DDO allows a lot more customization with character creation, then Neverwinter does.

I think overall sadly.... DDO is the better game here. All Neverwinter has going for over DDO is The Foundry system. That's it!

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by rastapastor

If They cut the prices a half, they would have better revenue. Ask me why? It's the same with the taxes. If the taxes are high, ppl can't afford certain stuff, so they don't buy, so there is no additional money to the national budget. Wanna example? Poland, our goverment rised VAT from 22% to 23%, they expected 1 billion more income, but guess what...IN THE LAST YEAR THERE WAS 600mln LESS MONEY IN THE BUDGET THAN THE YEAR BEFORE WHEN THE VAT WAS 22% CUZ PPL BOUGHT LESS STUFF. 

Actually, no... they wouldn't.  Ask me why?  Because they've already run a ton of metrics on it(which should be obvious, of course they've run metrics, their multi-million dollar companies) . Believe it or not, they aren't just pulling shit out of their ass on a forum, they actually do the math and use the method that gets the maximum profit.

There is a presentation that was put out a couple years ago by a prominent f2p gaming executive(or marketing analyst, or something of that nature) from South Korea to an investors group in NA.  I don't remember the name or the company, but I do remember it was a female that was giving the presentation.  I'm sure if you dug hard enough you could probably find it.

Anyway, she explains how to generate the most money from the F2P model, and despite your opinions, you are actually completely wrong.  F2P games make the most money by whale hunting, not casting a bigger net trying to pull in guppies.   The metrics showed that they make far more money by overpricing things and targeting the people willing to spend thousands of dollars, instead of pricing for volume.

She also explains how there is a fallout point with minimum pricing where there is no volume increase in sales.  That's why almost nothing in a cash shop costs less than $5.  That's the point where maximimum volume of sales can be attained, and reducing it to less than that does nothing to increase sales for that service/item.

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by furbans
    Had such high hopes for Neverwinter.

I'm cherrypicking out this quote since it seems to me that a lot of the complaints about Neverwinter boil down to hoping/expecting the game to be something it's pretty obvious it was never going to be.

It's a F2P game at launch, we should all know what this means by now, very limited development resources.  So expecting some AAA title to magically appear at launch anyway is ridiculous.  I'm not saying a F2P game can't be good, I'm saying that expecting it to be as good in every way as a game with a budget 10x higher is....  well, crazy.

And being that's it's F2P of course they're going to make it easier if, or desirable for you to spend money on things in the game.  Frankly, even if it does REQUIRE you to spend money in order to play past some point, which SWTOR does but I have yet to see anything that makes it seem as though this game does, expecting that a F2P game wouldn't have that on some level is.... well, crazy.

It's also a game developed by Cryptic, who have previously made 3 MMOs all of which are fairly similar in basic design.  So expecting things completely different from everything else they've done is.... well, crazy.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this game won't disappoint people with realistic expectations, it can, it does, and it will no doubt continue to.  But those kinds of complaints would have some merit to them at least, and could hopefully create thoughtful discussions (probably not as this is the internet), and likely Cryptic at least COULD do something to improve the situation (again, probably not, it's F2P so any major improvements won't happen or will take a LONG time).  Complaints like those in this thread and most of the others I've seen lately won't, because.... again, unrealistic expectations that fly in the face of reality.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

I don't mind to work a little to get decent items in a game.

I don't mind the studio's need to make some cash via the Item Shop.

But with the current ingame prices on vendors (currency / AD). Wow! It puts the average Asian grinder to shame.

But with the current prices on the Zen shop for a T3 mount / T3 companion.  35 - 40 dollars/euro PER character (not even account wide)!! Sorry you used to buy an entire MMO expansion for those prices.

The game is fun and gameplay decent done. It's the ingame vendors and Zen Cash Shop that instantly turned me off from this game!

Even with Cryptic's other games (CO and STO) it's not this bad. And most likely due to those games not been F2P in beginning and so have a different ingame / cash shop balance.

Sorry.... but for me Cryptic has reached a new low again.

Shame me once with CO. Shame me twice with STO. Neverwinter is third strike and out!

THe game is in OPEN BETA. The entire purpose of OPEN BETA is to shove as many players in to the servers to see what makes them CRASH. This way the developers know how to prevent such crashes.  Only SOE is dumb enough to skip this step when it comes to testing MMO's.

Beta testing

Beta testing comes after alpha testing and can be considered a form of external user acceptance testing. Versions of the software, known as beta versions, are released to a limited audience outside of the programming team. The software is released to groups of people so that further testing can ensure the product has few faults or bugs. Sometimes, beta versions are made available to the open public to increase the feedback field to a maximal number of future users.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"