Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycotting Neverwinter and all B2W

DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

I am so tired of gaming companies thinking they can make games that require your continual purchase of items, unlocks, skills, etc... to be succesful or even to just enjoy it.   Let me BUY the game and enjoy it freely.   Sure, item malls may be a great way to fund continual development.  Fine, give me cosmetics to buy or 10% boosts, not double!!   IMO best item mall is Defiance, it is definately not B2W (Buy To Win).   

If we players continue to support this method of B2W, we will continue to see more dissapointing games.   This is why I am boycotting Neverwinter by not even creating an account.   I don't want to even be a POTENTIAL dollar in their eyes.   This is why I have not returned to SWTOR in months.   And SWTOR is a game which disgusts me on an even deeper lvl.  Not only is their a subscription, but then you are encouraged to spend spend spend in the item mall for packs to get items that idiot players price in the millions (credits).   If I am a subscriber, why should I be buying item mall items?   Is $15 dollars a month no longer enough for access to obtain everythihng in the game?  Because I remember when $8 dollars a month was.    

I am gladly willing to spend almost $200 a year (excluding any expansions) on a video game, how is that enough for you stingy publishers?  And comment as you will, but don't try to answer my final questions.  It simply cannot be resonably answered.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I boycotted this game as soon as I knew Cryptic was behind the wheel.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Don't worry OP, you aren't alone. The masses will figure it out eventually as well. Give them time.

Joined - July 2004

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I understand how Cryptic raises concernes, but for me as soon as I saw Perfect World the alarm bells went off.
  • JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I'm waiting for it to be open access, which is 19 hours from now. I learned my lesson from TERA and WarZ... no way will i cough up £50 pounds for beta.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Daranar

I am so tired of gaming companies thinking they can make games that require your continual purchase of items, unlocks, skills, etc...

Don't play them, no need to make a post about it.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Surely the OP meant buy it and pay a subscription for it instead of having to P2W. I know he doesn't think that a company can stay a float by allowing everyone to keep receiving a service free of charge? There is not a single industry that does this. 

You are after all paying for a service with these online MMOs. These companies have to be able to keep the lights on. Pay their employees. Pay for bandwidth and server tech. Pay for advertising, and distribution. Pay to put food on To food on the table  for themselves.

Or did you mean literally, that you should only have to have a one time purchase. Because this is not a single player game, but an ongoing continuing type of game that has overhead. MMO are not charities for gaming mooches after all.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Same here.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Torgrim

So, your saying instead of giving a chance to a developer, you would just turn a cheek and ignore a game? So in the same light if a developer that produced good games, such as Sega, started making bad sonic games, you would still support them due to their past history so naturally the new games HAVE to be good?

Eh... a bit of a silly way to judge games. Sure, be sceptical, but theres no reason to at least look into and see just what it does. 

Honestly, if you want to support the game BUT reject the cash shop (which honestly is NOT that bad, though I do feel it should be toned down in some areas and prices adjusted for others) why not just play the game and NOT pay? Rather then boycott the game, boycott the payment model and make your voice heard against it. Show you enjoy a game and your just not willing to pay for it since the model itself is bad, otherwise they will likely make the false notion that 'the game was just bad, thats why they didn't pay' instead of seeing the real issue being the cash shop.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Surely the OP meant buy it and pay a subscription for it instead of having to P2W. I know he doesn't think that a company can stay a float by allowing everyone to keep receiving a service free of charge? There is not a single industry that does this. 

You are after all paying for a service with these online MMOs. These companies have to be able to keep the lights on. Pay their employees. Pay for bandwidth and server tech. Pay for advertising, and distribution. Pay to put food on To food on the table  for themselves.

Or did you mean literally, that you should only have to have a one time purchase. Because this is not a single player game, but an ongoing continuing type of game that has overhead. MMO are not charities for gaming mooches after all.

A B2P model with a cosmetic/account perk cash shop is a perfect viable and proven model.  GW2 alone has proven that.  The problem with Neverwinter is that they are charging for any and every thing they can charge their players for.  And the question still remains on the quality of content to keep players goind.  Hell there really isn't any dungeon gear grind since its all BoE and likely can just buy all your gear with AD.

GW2 had an engaging story and an immersive world.  Neverwinter severely lacks these and find myself doing *YAWN* another kills this kill that with no deep story telling.  Even DDO did a better job at storytelling.

Neverwinter is a mediocere MMO at best that is a typical tale of sparatic errend doer.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    I've stopped playing any mmorpg with item mall, whcih kinda meant I've stopped playing any mmoprg at all.   It's rather interesting to watch from side-lines in between RL and playing other genres and types of games.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I am so tired of gaming companies thinking they can make games that require your continual purchase of items, unlocks, skills, etc...

I have to agree, it's so earnest.

Where were you all when they started showing commercials on cable after they said the whole idea was that there wouldn't be commercials on cable? And did you get rid of your cable when they started offering "additional" movies that the regular subscription didn't cover?

play the games if they are good. Don't spend money if you dont' think they deserve it or spend a small bit if you are enjoying yourself.

Or better yet, play the games and don't spend a dime and show them that f2p/b2w or however you want to call it doesn't guarantee they will pay their bills.

Otherwise, there are SO many things in life that we'd have to give up. Like the gimmick of 3d movies and charging so much for those glasses? Or how about when you finally do watch somethign on TV it's not only rife with commercials but they have those stupid banners and logos that are way too big and always there?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

A B2P model with a cosmetic/account perk cash shop is a perfect viable and proven model.  GW2 alone has proven that.  The problem with Neverwinter is that they are charging for any and every thing they can charge their players for.  And the question still remains on the quality of content to keep players goind.  Hell there really isn't any dungeon gear grind since its all BoE and likely can just buy all your gear with AD.

GW2 had an engaging story and an immersive world.  Neverwinter severely lacks these and find myself doing *YAWN* another kills this kill that with no deep story telling.  Even DDO did a better job at storytelling.

Neverwinter is a mediocere MMO at best that is a typical tale of sparatic errend doer.

A bit confused here. By Neverwinter, you all are referring to?........

Not Elder Scrolls Online right? Or is that right? What am I missing lol.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Ah another "I haven't played the game but I'm boucotting it because its cryptic/PW" Sriously the games free to download, free to play. nothing in the cash shop is needed to play.  No P2W items Most can be aquired easily enough in game any way. Seriously your not Paying to equipe any decent loot drops (SOE/EQ2) Your not paying to have a decent UI (EA/SW:Tor) Your not paying to unlock areas/quests (Turbine/DDDO,LoTRO)

Basically it seems the arguement comes down to

A) You hate the company and will never play any of its games good or bad, or

B) Nothing is ever "Free" enough for you ie items in the cash though totally optional shop should be as cheap or cheaper then item in the cash shop of subscription games or 3rd rate asain grinders that has half the game play.

Understood, so have fun in whatever game you do play. Though in general the old saying is you get what you pay for. So don't be surprised if your playing crap thats cheap, or getting conned by paying both a subscription and for cash shop items.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

For years, MMO publishers were stuck with a very difficult problem: monthly subscribers flatly resisted any increase in the sub rates, while their shareholders continually demanded better profits.

And then a miracle happened ! All over the internet, gamers started demanding a complete end to all compulsory payments. Gamers wanted to play for FREE. They would grudgingly accept Cash Shops, as long as they could play the games for free.

The game publishers were at their wits end, it looked like a total disaster scenario. But then they saw the fantastic opportunities unfolding before them, and they were delighted ! 

F2P brought many publishers undreamed-of profits. They couldn't (and still cannot) believe their good fortune. No matter what their Cash Shop models were, it seemed that there was always a group of players showering them with cash...

Now, human beings are naturally curious, so it can be expected that the game publishers will test all the boundaries and limits of Cash Shop pricing. All in the name of Science, of course.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    This is why we advocate for subscription games. Took long enough for people to realise this.
  • AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

In my opinion it's about the latest consistency of a developers games in relation to quality and my personal enjoyment. The more they wander from my perceived enjoyment and quality the less effort I'll take to give them more of my time. Cryptic has released turd after turd and have almost no time on my schedule and deserve no time.

Several developers are in this area for me.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Would someone be able to tell me, what 'exactly' is B2W or P2W in this game. I am talking about items that have a direct advantage over other players that you can 'only' get through the store. I don't mean items that you can earn in game or pay for short cuts. 

I just want to judge how invested I want to be in this game. 

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    GL with that boycotting.
  • suntzu1000suntzu1000 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

Would someone be able to tell me, what 'exactly' is B2W or P2W in this game. I am talking about items that have a direct advantage over other players that you can 'only' get through the store. I don't mean items that you can earn in game or pay for short cuts. 

I just want to judge how invested I want to be in this game. 

So far there are none

Everything in the store can be earned by playing the game.

The only difference will be that someone who puts in real money will have it faster.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Item malls can work just fine, its what their selling and how it affects the game that is a problem. I firmly disapprove of anything that sells exp or levels, and don't even like equipment sales, because character development is a prevalent part of the game that should be made more enjoyable and timed to satisfaction, not used to oppress the gamer and make sales, any method of selling exp is an affront to good gameplay, it is an antithesis to satisfaction, pay to blaze through bad content instead of make the content better to play.

Thoughtful items at appealing prices are far more inviting and acceptable. They are better off selling attractive content in a game that is thrilling to play anyway than selling a remedy to bad gameplay.

Everything is circumstantial.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I have to agree, it's so earnest.

Where were you all when they started showing commercials on cable after they said the whole idea was that there wouldn't be commercials on cable? And did you get rid of your cable when they started offering "additional" movies that the regular subscription didn't cover?

play the games if they are good. Don't spend money if you dont' think they deserve it or spend a small bit if you are enjoying yourself.

Or better yet, play the games and don't spend a dime and show them that f2p/b2w or however you want to call it doesn't guarantee they will pay their bills.

Otherwise, there are SO many things in life that we'd have to give up. Like the gimmick of 3d movies and charging so much for those glasses? Or how about when you finally do watch somethign on TV it's not only rife with commercials but they have those stupid banners and logos that are way too big and always there?

Hulu, Netflix, free sites... I'd think you'd be surprised with how many have gotten rid of their cable lol... 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    As I have said before on here, I haven't spent a penny in F2P Cash Shops and I never will - nobody NEEDS to buy anything.  People usually complain because they want to pay to win but are simply annoyed the price is out of their range.  :D
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

how can a game without PVP be Buy To Win?

I mean what does it do, let you buy the latest raid set?  If thats the case isnt that like buying a book and only reading the last page?  Not really winning.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    As I have said before on here, I haven't spent a penny in F2P Cash Shops and I never will - nobody NEEDS to buy anything.  People usually complain because they want to pay to win but are simply annoyed the price is out of their range.  :D

Are you crazy? Trying to bring logic into a hate thread. These threads never get old. Of course they are always started and followed by people with a nice "I am better then you attitude".

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Same here.  If they don't charge for seemingly required things (quests...Lotro), I don't care what they put in the cash shop or how fast it makes someone else gain exp.  I especially feel this way about small very limited games like this one.

It definitely seems like the best work to date from Cryptic.  In relation to bigger more involved MMO's that's not saying much.