Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good introduction to Guild Wars 2

2»

Comments

• FernandoStarkFernandoStark Member Posts: 1
    Guild Wars 2 is awesome! =)

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Naqaj

If you guys brush your cynicism aside for a moment, you might have remembered things like WoW's installer, that allows people to jump into the game after just a few minutes, while still downloading the rest of the files in the background.

Or the way GW1 actually streamed map data on demand, which also allowed for very short installation time.

OPs question perfectly viable.

Hmmm it may be just the way GW2 is built. If you look at your typical game, you will see thousands of files (sound, graphics, whatnot). In GW2 they (curiously enough) too a way of one giant file that contains everything. That might be serious hindrance to partial update.

I think the main "problem" these days is, developers expect people to have "standard" internet connection. I remember downloading 500M patch in wow back in the days took pretty much whole day. These days it takes me about half an hour if it goes badly... If you go with idea "this is gonna take a few minutes or so to download/install", making complicated partial patches etc. is pretty waste of time and resources.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by spades07

Buy product, wait 45 minutes to install. And then have to download a 4gb patch.

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

But hey lets hope it's a great game.

1) it's what you get when a buy an active game which has developers working on it and adding content. You would be crying even more when you buy a game 5years old and download 1 patch of 2MB.

2) the game has been out for some time

3) 3 hours!!! better stop downloading other stuff in the meantime or advance to broadband or faster.

4) buying a game and HOPING that it'll be any good is throwing away money.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

I wanted to try out SW-TOR  the other day again after it is gone F2P and dont know why but 1 day later I could play the game...thats a loooooong time ;P

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

so pretty much the same with every single MMO out that has been out for a decent amount of time. Lots of patches have happened between when the disc was printed and now. I generally just do the digital download so i end up downloading the entire game for MMOs anyway. Full game is about 16GB anyway so only having to d/l 4gb isn't huge

Actually have to agree with him on this, most other games by now would have had some kind of REAL trial system in place, but not Anet nope they want to squeeze as much out of the new players as they possibly can so Come try our game on our exceedingly short once a month weekend thingy or go out and buy the thing, play thru the first few levels where you actually get loot until you reach level 80 where you're broke all the time and need to buy gems to actually get gear in the TP. See the pattern?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by itgrowls

so pretty much the same with every single MMO out that has been out for a decent amount of time. Lots of patches have happened between when the disc was printed and now. I generally just do the digital download so i end up downloading the entire game for MMOs anyway. Full game is about 16GB anyway so only having to d/l 4gb isn't huge

Actually have to agree with him on this, most other games by now would have had some kind of REAL trial system in place, but not Anet nope they want to squeeze as much out of the new players as they possibly can so Come try our game on our exceedingly short once a month weekend thingy or go out and buy the thing, play thru the first few levels where you actually get loot until you reach level 80 where you're broke all the time and need to buy gems to actually get gear in the TP. See the pattern?

In other games, trials are used by gold spammers. They used them in Rift, WoW, and GW1. Hence why they are NOT doing them. The once a month is to control who gets the keys and prevent gold spammers - if you want gold spammers, then by all means, have continuously open trials.

As far as the file system, the one big file is a compressed file, like a *.zip file and contains all the individual files iin it. They did the same with GW1 and it worked well. Why can't people understand this?

I guess haters gotta hate.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by botrytis

In other games, trials are used by gold spammers. They used them in Rift, WoW, and GW1. Hence why they are NOT doing them. The once a month is to control who gets the keys and prevent gold spammers - if you want gold spammers, then by all means, have continuously open trials.

As far as the file system, the one big file is a compressed file, like a *.zip file and contains all the individual files iin it. They did the same with GW1 and it worked well. Why can't people understand this?

I guess haters gotta hate.

Your theory doesn't explain the teleporters that are left in the game to this very day that port from node to node selling what they get and are so fast no one can tag them. Guess they really didn't get rid of the gold farmers and what would it hurt to allow for a capped level farmer? What it might make copper and peppercorns more easily available? yeah that's really going to affect an already messed up TP market.

Guess Naysayers are gonna Nayyy.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I haven't experienced this at level 80.  I had enough gold to buy whatever gear I wanted.  I don't need a lot of gold for most adventuring though and I didn't really need to buy the gear.  I just felt like shortcutting that.

If I run out of money I don't buy Gems to get gold.  I go out and farm more gold.  That's the pattern I use.  If you're impatient and want to buy it, that's fine, but that isn't a path people must take.

I'm tellin you Torv, he/she is a lost cause, I think this has been stated many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many manymany many many many many many many many times in the past yet ignored, or seen but can't stand the fact of common sense to be used against him/her.

Again this mainly stemed from the confusion of November lol.

It's sad indeed, but hey what can we do, after the first few times, miswell just let it be.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Just be glad you were'nt directed to a torrent for download!
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Neverwinter downloads content during loading screens, it also had a 1gb patch per beta weekend. Anyways 08 account, thanks for the laugh OP.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    The limited trail with features used to prevent gold sellers seems to work pretty damn well. It's been months since I've gotten a 'buy gold now' in-game mail or seen a 'buy gold from www.x.com' pop up in chat in a major city. Frankly it's the only MMOG I've ever played where I didn't see that, ever. It's so nice not to have to deal with those idiots.