Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone seen decent drops in the foundry?

udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I was curious if anyone elses experiences have been different than mine.  I have been playing a fair amount of Foundry content and for the most part it's pretty enjoyable but I have noticed a complete lack of quality loot dropping out of it.  I don't mean top of the line purple I am talking about white or blue with rune slots.  I have done a few of these foundry quests that where way more difficult than anything I have gone up against that was developer made and walked away with a lot of consumables and a handful of junk I didn't even bother to look twice at.

Have I just been unlucky with my drops or did Cryptic pull back on the whole idea of giving us decent drops in this content?  As it stands right now I would prefer tokens of some form over whats dropping because it really is just junk to clog up the inventory.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by udon

I was curious if anyone elses experiences have been different than mine.  I have been playing a fair amount of Foundry content and for the most part it's pretty enjoyable but I have noticed a complete lack of quality loot dropping out of it.  I don't mean top of the line purple I am talking about white or blue with rune slots.  I have done a few of these foundry quests that where way more difficult than anything I have gone up against that was developer made and walked away with a lot of consumables and a handful of junk I didn't even bother to look twice at.

Have I just been unlucky with my drops or did Cryptic pull back on the whole idea of giving us decent drops in this content?  As it stands right now I would prefer tokens of some form over whats dropping because it really is just junk to clog up the inventory.

Hmmm... it's "just junk to clog up the inventory" ?

That couldn't be intentional... *cough* ...perhaps you just need to buy a few extra bag slots image

• TerrawenTerrawen Member UncommonPosts: 21
    It seems like it could be easily exploited for easy or free loot.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Terrawen

I seem to remember one of the developers in a video some time ago talking about a system in place that internally rates the difficulty of the foundry and assigns loot drops based on that.  I played some very difficult to solo foundry missions but only saw the most basic of junk gear drop.  Way worst gear than what I get from doing a significantly easier solo or queued group mission.

I'm not expecting end game loot or even stuff that compares to the Astral Diamond purchased gear (grumble, grumble).  But as it stands I really don't see any reason not to just go to a token based system like most other games that have player created content do because gear is not a reason to do foundry missions as far as I can tell.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I seem to remember one of the developers in a video some time ago talking about a system in place that internally rates the difficulty of the foundry and assigns loot drops based on that.  I played some very difficult to solo foundry missions but only saw the most basic of junk gear drop.  Way worst gear than what I get from doing a significantly easier solo or queued group mission.

I'm not expecting end game loot or even stuff that compares to the Astral Diamond purchased gear (grumble, grumble).  But as it stands I really don't see any reason not to just go to a token based system like most other games that have player created content do because gear is not a reason to do foundry missions as far as I can tell.

I'd imagine that the Foundry content will be heavily penalised with regards to loot quality. The potential for abuse is just too high.

Once people figure out how to fool the "internal rating system" (and they will), it could lead to horrible exploits. The only safe way to rate the Foundry quests would be for a Cryptic employee to play through them, and that's not going to be practical.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'd imagine that the Foundry content will be heavily penalised with regards to loot quality. The potential for abuse is just too high.

Once people figure out how to fool the "internal rating system" (and they will), it could lead to horrible exploits. The only safe way to rate the Foundry quests would be for a Cryptic employee to play through them, and that's not going to be practical.

Cryptic is actually fairly active with the foundy content in STO. However the loot in the foundy content their is also crap, the real compensation for foundry Missions in sto is the dilithium you get for doing them.

Do you not get AD for doing foundry missions in NW?

It seems strange they make foundry missions a great source of dilithium in sto and not give ad for doing them in NW. Its a good middle ground for rewards for doing them as it allows you to earn dilithium which is used for everything end game and convertable for zen. And with the refining caps keeps it from being abused as you still can't refine any more per day then anyone else.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by evicton

It seems strange they make foundry missions a great source of dilithium in sto and not give ad for doing them in NW. Its a good middle ground for rewards for doing them as it allows you to earn dilithium which is used for everything end game and convertable for zen. And with the refining caps keeps it from being abused as you still can't refine any more per day then anyone else.

Yes there is a daily quest to do foundry content which rewards AD. Can't remember how much, but it's around 1000. I was also getting junk from foundry missions so figured it was all about the AD rather than the loot. Shame though.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Remember the game, and especially the Foundry, are still in Beta. A lot of tweaks will be happening to the systems I'm sure.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It would be a real shame if the Foundry content gets little to no use because of a lack of rewards for doing them. This is free content to keep players engaged, both for the creators and those that play through their content. It costs the devs nothing at all and yet they get additional content to keep people logging in.

The players need to feel it's worth doing or Cryptic are throwing away a great opportunity.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Yes there is a daily quest to do foundry content which rewards AD. Can't remember how much, but it's around 1000. I was also getting junk from foundry missions so figured it was all about the AD rather than the loot. Shame though.

Strange they reverted back to a daily for foundry missions for AD rewards as that was one of their first dilithium for foundry rewards to STO. Then they changed it for a mission that was repeatable every 15 minutes, the times started after you turned in the mission. Then they switched to a straight up time to complete foundry mission for dilithium system that there still using a basic 20 minute mission rewards like 759 dilithium. They also have spotlight missions and the first one you complete each day gives bonus dilithium. The highest I've gotten from a spotlight mission that took about an hour to do was 2700 dilithium.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I'm not expecting any loot from Foundry content.

I am happy just to have the option of a change of pace from the official quests. As a bonus we get xp fpr it so if we are a little behind, we don't have to grind mindlessly.

Strange they reverted back to a daily for foundry missions for AD rewards as that was one of their first dilithium for foundry rewards to STO. Then they changed it for a mission that was repeatable every 15 minutes, the times started after you turned in the mission. Then they switched to a straight up time to complete foundry mission for dilithium system that there still using a basic 20 minute mission rewards like 759 dilithium. They also have spotlight missions and the first one you complete each day gives bonus dilithium. The highest I've gotten from a spotlight mission that took about an hour to do was 2700 dilithium.

At this point that would be miles above what the NW foundry is currently giving us.  I can only guess Cryptic/PWI wants more control over the rate of earning ADs via free means than they have in STO.  I would have been fine with no AD rewards if the gear drops where at least decent (on par with quested rewards) but it's not even close to that.

Someday a developer is going to create a player generated content system that acually rewards players for doing the missions.  Something that can really hook into the in game world and allow the creation of content from solo leveling all the way up to large scale raids.  Combine that with a richer set of tools than even NW has (it's a step in the right direction for sure) and it's going to create a whole new type of game.  A true community sandbox game.  Sadly Neverwinter is not that game.  With the storybricks and EQNext announcments I guess one could hope that EQNext will be such a game (EQ2 has decent content creation tools) but we will just have to wait and see.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Which is just total crap. As most stuff, especially higher level go for million+ of AD per piece.

Not to mention the costs to enchant items that go easily into the tens of thousands of AD. Same for removing enchants.

During leveling people might do the ocasional foundry mission for the extra XP and get the daily AD.

But once you reach the cap, the really isn't any reason anymore to do Foundry missions.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

No disagreement here on the idea that Foundry quests don't give sufficient rewards. AD are nice, help to give a little mix-up to the grind for high levels. But it's not really enough to bother with in the grand scheme of things. All the AD rewards do is make it less inefficient to do Foundry quests - it's not a reward so much as a consolation prize.

Cryptic really needs to offer Seals for running a Foundry quest (level-appropriate). Then there is something worthwhile to run it for. They can easily code this reward only to drop for 1 mission a day, or perhaps 1 per hour (the rewards are currently time-based). They can even make a Foundry-specific Seal vendor which offers T1.5 gear or something for capping out. Make the items BoP if you're worried about exploits.

However, no matter how much the people love "the author's stories", if you do an hour-long Foundry quest and get an off-class white item as a reward from the last chest, you're going to see a lot less players playing the stuff. This happened with my level 40 Control Wizard, so it does happen and is a problem.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Lanessar

Cryptic really needs to offer Seals for running a Foundry quest

That's a good idea. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by sethman75

I'm not expecting any loot from Foundry content.I am happy just to have the option of a change of pace from the official quests. As a bonus we get xp fpr it so if we are a little behind, we don't have to grind mindlessly.    

If thats your reason, then the game is doomed.
    Originally posted by birdycephon

I am happy just to have the option of a change of pace from the official quests. As a bonus we get xp fpr it so if we are a little behind, we don't have to grind mindlessly.

Yea that's kind of my take to.

The only thing this game has going for it is the foundry.  The game mechanics are ok but nothing special and there really isn't a meaninful end game unless you are into grinding out repeatable small group instances over and over again.  There isn't even raids to fall back on.  Without a active player made content community with meaninful rewards to keep people playing it I just don't see what can keep this game going.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by ranncore
    Originally posted by Lanessar

Cryptic really needs to offer Seals for running a Foundry quest

That's a good idea. 

Bad ideal.  Already you can do a daily foundry quest for AD and that should be enough.

Seals you have to get from dungeon delves or turn in a lot of demon insignia thingies which require a lot more time and effort than a foundry quest. 

Foundry is not for gear nor was it ever intended to be for gear, that is what dungeon delves are for or farming X public area for insignia trade ins.  Granted their entire loot system is complete garbage since they went their BoE route that made a need free for all clusterfuck.

However the quality could be improved upon to say like a green quality item relevent to your class that is of char lvl.  Getting a white quality item is complete garbage.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

The only thing this game has going for it is the foundry.  The game mechanics are ok but nothing special and there really isn't a meaninful end game unless you are into grinding out repeatable small group instances over and over again.  There isn't even raids to fall back on.  Without a active player made content community with meaninful rewards to keep people playing it I just don't see what can keep this game going.

Once you hit the cap, there is just ZERO reason to continue using the Foundry.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Ermm, the entire reason for the Foundry is to keep playing the game after cap with different and interesting content.

I would say there is EVERY reason to play foundry content after you hit the wall of the cap and have nothing to do except rerun the same crappy dungeons over and over.

Put it this way, would you rather run the same dungeon x 20 in the hope of a good drop and in six months have that gear rendered useless by higher level gear OR actually play the game and adventure through cool stories and experiencing fresh ideas and content each week?

I guess some people like the mindless rerunning of dungeons but i personally find that boring as hell.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Once you hit the cap, there is just ZERO reason to continue using the Foundry.   Unless you like runnign new content.

SUP

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Running the quests should be reward enough, but from what I have seen the foundry has a higher drop rate of crafting gear which can make the best gear in game.
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Which is just total crap. As most stuff, especially higher level go for million+ of AD per piece.

Not to mention the costs to enchant items that go easily into the tens of thousands of AD. Same for removing enchants.

During leveling people might do the ocasional foundry mission for the extra XP and get the daily AD.

But once you reach the cap, the really isn't any reason anymore to do Foundry missions.

Bullshit!!!!!!

Some stuff might but I jsut bought a pair of level 60 Tier 1 (I think their Tier 1) very rare (Purple) Gauntlets for my GWF tonight for 50,000 AD.  Thing is there were 3 other sets of the same type on the AH all for the same price.

The stuff that sells for a ton is arguably crafting supplys (like the purple smiths and instruments to increase its efficiency) but thats because its a new game, deals can be made and I bou8ght an Epic (purple or very rare) Dragon's egg yesterday for 80k AD.

SUP

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Running the quests should be reward enough, but from what I have seen the foundry has a higher drop rate of crafting gear which can make the best gear in game.

Pretty much this. 

If you're looking for a gear-grind, there's better games out there.