Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion should bite the bullet and go F2P before its too late.

varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106

This game has a lot of potential and people would likely play it enmasse if it were a F2P game with a decent cash shop.

Trion should realize that its a sinking ship and try to salvage what could be a good game.   Give original game owners some "founder" status for their purchase and open the gates.

The game is failing in Asian markets, where F2P is more desired, moreso than it is here.

I'd like to be back in RIFT but we need change.

Comments

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by varrius

This game has a lot of potential and people would likely play it enmasse if it were a F2P game with a decent cash shop.

Trion should realize that its a sinking ship and try to salvage what could be a good game.   Give original game owners some "founder" status for their purchase and open the gates.

The game is failing in Asian markets, where F2P is more desired, moreso than it is here.

I truely hope that this does not happen, I currently play RIFT and like the fact that it is subscription. I am tired of everything microtransaction.

• varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

I truely hope that this does not happen, I currently play RIFT and like the fact that it is subscription. I am tired of everything microtransaction.

The servers are desolate, though.   There are microtransaction models that work and aren't Pay2Win, "GW2", "AION".

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

The servers are desolate, though.   There are microtransaction models that work and aren't Pay2Win, "GW2", "AION".

Hmm, well we are definately playing on different servers because Faeblight has great population.. I am never without a group or having to worry about people to play with. If the servers were barren I might be willing to think about a cash shop but TBH.... I am sick to death of Cash Shops in everything. Even GW2 Cash shops annoys me. The only game I have ever played where it didn't bother me, and I never even really noticed it was Aion

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I'm on Greybriar and it's plenty busy. I hope they keep the sub model; it's really nice to open up the "shop" and not see anything there except one upgrade to Infinity version.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

Please, no.  F2P is saturated I think.  F2P may pull from the largest pool of players but it's not an infinite supply.    Adding a decent game like Rift to the mix will only make things worse, causing population issues on someone else's favorite game.

Jacobs was right and wrong.  He was wrong in thinking that the F2P model will implode.  The F2P model isn't going anywhere for a long time but I think only the strongest will survive.   

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    The game is all right, but I don't think I'd invest any more time into it, even F2P.  It's just too generic and stale.  And the replayability factor of it's map makes the thought of rolling a new character pretty much nonexistant.

You make me like charity

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    This is one of the few times I actually agree. They should take from the SWTOR model and make it F2P.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Green man gaming has Rift and Storm Legion deals on their site today for anyone interested. I still sub to Rift and enjoy playing it.  
  • Prod1702Prod1702 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I played rift right after it was out and felt like hte game was WoW all over again but with a few new things here and there. That really turned me off on it. I ahve always wanted to go back and try it out again but am not willing to pay $14.95 amonth for a game when you have games like GW2. If Rift was B2P i would love to play the game. I would even put money into the cash shop at times if the items were worth it. I jsut feel like games that make you P2P are dieing and need to be B2P. If the game is that good people will buy it and play it. 
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Has RIFT Failed yet?

F2P is only for titles that need to go on life support.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    All I can offer this thread is my honest statement that, in addition to GW2,  I would definitely dapple in Rift if it went f2p or b2p.  I enjoyed the soul system when I played during beta.  The dimensions system looks like a ton of fun with a built in perpetual progression incentive for doing nearly everything.  But it's hard for me to justify buying a game and paying a sub to boot just to casually try a game when there are quality games like GW2 and League of Legends that can satisfy me for virtually no cost.  
  • Prod1702Prod1702 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Homitu
    All I can offer this thread is my honest statement that, in addition to GW2,  I would definitely dapple in Rift if it went f2p or b2p.  I enjoyed the soul system when I played during beta.  The dimensions system looks like a ton of fun with a built in perpetual progression incentive for doing nearly everything.  But it's hard for me to justify buying a game and paying a sub to boot just to casually try a game when there are quality games like GW2 and League of Legends that can satisfy me for virtually no cost.  

I plus this

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238
    its f2p up to lvl 20, and places are doing offers on rift all the time, raptr are currently giving the game and expansion away for free, just for playing the game for 11 hours. Pretty easy to casually pay for that :P

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Prod1702
    Originally posted by Homitu

I plus this

I + his plus this because I agree as well.

Rift would be good to dabble in, even toss a few bucks at in a shop...not worth a sub though, far too many guildies played for a while and left for the same reasons, just doest offer up anything new, just same things in a slightly different way outside of the soul system.

Rift is past the point of bringing in new players via expansions, the only way to expand the player base now, and keep more from leaving due to population issues, as well as bring in higher revenue...is via F2P.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i dont know how things are in us but in eu the game is DEAD! 3 medium and 1 high server at peak hours. imo gw2 b2p model is the only solution.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Transition from P2P to F2P demands a lot of change to game... it will take devs time to do it, and first they have to figure out what F2P model they want to go. They have to develop things that players will want to actually buy etc.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Rift was one of the games that made me realize just how much I dislike the subscription model. I bought it and couldn't justify the monthly fee after the free month was up.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

I'll preface by saying that I really don't want to see Rift go F2P.  B2P, maybe, but not F2P.  Having said that, I think their biggest hurdle would be monetization.  Now, unless they skip freemium and go the Aion route where the whole game is completely free, only charging for cosmetics and the like, they're going to have a harder time than most games divvying up their content.  There's no massive number of racial options or classes  to choose from that they could charge for, there's no overabundance of questing areas or storylines to partition off.  The most obvious choice, to my mind, would be to somehow gate a number of souls behind a paywall but even typing that out makes me sick as a subscriber.

In all likelihood, the only way I see it working is to try in the West sort of what they did in S. Korea.  Making the entire Lvl 1-50 experience free and maybe doing B2P for Storm Legion and beyond.  If they hold to their previous speed of content releases, they could feasibly go the way of TSW and release monthly-or-so new updates and charge $5 - $10 for them.  The game really is top-heavy now, so if free players stick with it until lvl 50, they're fairly likely to find the game gets even better with the newer content.  Anyhow, it seems obvious to me that Trion will have to implement some sort of new payment model within 6 - 12 months;  I'd much rather it be B2P than F2P but I'm hoping they'll do right by their faithful customers, no matter what they choose.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly? I'd say Trion is content with how Rift is going right now. It has to be making a good enough profit that subscription is working for them, and for me it was well worth a sub price to play. 
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Might be a great time for them to test a new payment model of some sort.  Leave the most populated servers P2P or merge them together so P2P get a high population, then make F2P servers to get a second source of income.  Maybe even allow P2P players to play on F2P ones with their characters through "guesting" so that they can play with friends.

Might require some additional server restructuring in case some P2P go F2P, but overall it may be an option for them to consider if things get bad as opposed to just going all out F2P.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Asking for a game to go F2P is like asking for people to give you money on the street.  Is $15 really that hard to scrounge up every month?  You could go to the movies and spend more than that.

I don't like the way the community changes when games go F2P.  Everyone seems to want everything handed to them for nothing.  F2P would be the end of a game like Rift, not a new beginning.  Sure more people would play it, but fewer people would pay money for it.  

Subscriptions are a good thing.  I have yet to see a F2P game produced with the same quality that most sub games have.  If you can deal with lower quality, keep playing your "free to play" games.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by syntax42
    <snip>

Subscriptions are a good thing.  I have yet to see a F2P game produced with the same quality that most sub games have.  If you can deal with lower quality, keep playing your "free to play" games.

I think you've got quite a bit of work ahead of you to back up your last claims.  Personal taste and preference aside, a game like Guild Wars 2 can stack up favorably among the best of sub games.  Then there is the growing reality that most of the big non-sub games in the West started life out as games requiring subscriptions.  That alone tells me that the inherent quality of a title is determined by something other than its payment model.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I can't wait to get back into this game when it goes F2P.

I really like everything about it except the monthly sub. Make a cool cash shop and let the tens of thousands of players roll back in to play the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't think I'd play it anyway, it's too derivative.  I already played the hell out of WoW, I don't need to play its most notorious clone.  I do agree that it should go F2P, but not quite yet, they still seem to be earning revenue.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by syntax42

Asking for a game to go F2P is like asking for people to give you money on the street.  Is $15 really that hard to scrounge up every month?  You could go to the movies and spend more than that.

Getting really tired of seeing this argument.  Yeah movies cost a certain amount, but you don't own the theatre.  Paying a sub is continuing to pay a mandatory price for something you already own.

Stop with that terrible analogy, please.  It's not the price that bothers most people, it's the idea behind it.