Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained will have PvE

DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Hey folks, so back when this was first announced, and I heard there was no PvE, I pictured a boring barren world with a constant pointless war, with no lore, nothing to tether it to any real fight.

A lot like Planetside 2, actually.

I think it was the biggest mistake of this Kickstarter not to elaborate on the "no PvE" thing.

There will be no PvE leveling. All leveling happens in RvR.

But, there will be monsters, and animals, and guards, and soldiers. They exist for CRAFTERS, and as obstacles. Their hides and parts will become raw materials, house decorations, ect. Mj wants dungeons (not just the Depths or mines) in the game for crafting materials and such.

There is a lot of room for PvE that isn't traditional PvE, but is still an NPC monster for you and your buddies to bash on when you aren't warring in the realm.

I do not know to what extent this side of the game will be expanded to, but it DOES exist. Lore DOES exist. This isn't just planetside without guns. I am relieved, to say the least.

Comments

• Yeah, I initially also understood that statement as not having NPCs at all. I'm glad that wasn't the case.
  • AnideinAnidein Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Probably could have earned more pledges by being more specific, no lie.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I always assumed "no PvE" meant exactly what Mark has described. There will be NPCs but you won't earn xp by killing them and they won't drop equippable gear. I guess he could have been clearer though if anybody was confused about it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Yes I yelled at mark about this. We need more backers and there are plenty of pve people out there who would be happy with at least the basic acitivity and craft mat drops. But "pve free" that scares people. Now you can say we don't want people in our game but until we hit 2 million we do
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Off topic, but for those interested, there's an AMA going on with Jacobs on reddit right now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1dcic2/i_am_mark_jacobs_cofounder_of_city_state/

• I think PvE games can be great. But the whole PvE gear treadmill model is overdone in MMOs, I feel.
    Originally posted by Axxar
    I think PvE games can be great. But the whole PvE gear treadmill model is overdone in MMOs, I feel.

Agreed. I loved how the best gear came from crafters, and raids were just for funsies in DAoC. CU seems to be emulating that design.

Someone asked mark in the AMA about what to do in rvr downtime and again he didn't mention the pve for mats
    Originally posted by UOlover
    Someone asked mark in the AMA about what to do in rvr downtime and again he didn't mention the pve for mats

He did here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1dcic2/i_am_mark_jacobs_cofounder_of_city_state/c9p0hsj?context=3

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Yeah, MJ scared a bunch of potential backers off when he said "no PvE" when that statement was further explained later it was to late to many had already wrote it off. 

PvE with logical loot and no xp would have been selling points if presented correctly. 

I unfortunately have to find fault in that because he didn't mention it for the overworld, as if it was a depths only thing and he still  refuses to say pve. He needs to face the reality we are tapped out on these rvr guys who are willing to pledge to a kickstarter

I can answer better than the lead guy can do on this particular subject he should let me help out with the AMA

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Who on earth pve's in an rvr pvp game?, if you want to see what is wrong with that then just reload Warhammer and take alook.
    Originally posted by sibs4455
    Who on earth pve's in an rvr pvp game?, if you want to see what is wrong with that then just reload Warhammer and take alook.

So why will it be in CU then?

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I unfortunately have to find fault in that because he didn't mention it for the overworld, as if it was a depths only thing and he still  refuses to say pve. He needs to face the reality we are tapped out on these rvr guys who are willing to pledge to a kickstarter

I can answer better than the lead guy can do on this particular subject he should let me help out with the AMA

We won't know for 3 more days whether we are tapped out from the RvR guys. I would guess not and it will fund. Then when it goes live there will be plenty of players who want to play an RvR game with no PvE but just didn't like giving money to Kickstarter to fund it. Ultimately you can't please everybody. We've seen other games try to do that and the RvR suffered as a result. So Mark has the right idea: make a great RvR game and let other people make great questing and raiding games. There's no shortage of companies making those kind of games.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Because no doubt CU will be a carebear rvr game where death has no meaningful penalty except maybe 2 minutes of 10%hp loss, that will bring the pve players in won't it!.

This game is far from trying to please everyone. But you might actually want to talk about what your game actually has
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

One thing I noticed about MJ is that he is so inbedded into mmo making that he uses a lot of global mmo mechanical terms to describe entire systems. This has confused many on occasion.

When talking about PVE he clearly meant it as a whole. Pve meant leveling, questing and map development devoted entirely to pve as is the case with most games. He did not want this in his game as it is entirely RVR focused when it came to leveling and content. He did a pure job early on explaining that PVE does exist but it is now simply a tool that contributes to RvR thus no longer defined as PVE traditionaly is in other games.

He did with too with housing and even a bit with stealth. His version of those traditional systems/mechanics are quite different and far more advanced and detailed and should really have been defined as such early on but kept using generic terms for them which lead to confusion.

I prefer to look at the game as an attempt to redefine the genre (sub-genre) but if one has to look at it from a traditionall mmo prespective:

PVE: yes it is in game but very different and limited (or is it? How many other mmos out there allow you to BE an npc and where npcs exist only to support the primary game concept?) by it's connection to RvR.

Housing: yes it is in game but highly more advanced and greater in scope than the simple 'housing" term.

Stealth: likely in game but vastly different.

Archers: Likely in game but redefined.

RvR: no longer tertiary or secondary to anything ... it is what every single mechanic and system in game is geared toward. PVE points to it, Crafting points to it, Lore entirely points to it ... every system is game supports RvR and THAT is what players have understand. CE isn't a collection of seperate, unrelated systems or mini-games. Everything supports the core concept and therefore needs to be redefined.

You stay sassy!

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

I don't want any PvE. There's no such thing as "pointless war", the war in these games is the whole point of them. I'm perfectly happy to never have to kill another npc for gear or xp ever again.

Originally posted by Eraserhead

I don't want any PvE. There's no such thing as "pointless war", the war in these games is the whole point of them. I'm perfectly happy to never have to kill another npc for gear or xp ever again.

I think it's safe to say that if you don't want to you won't have to

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Hey folks, so back when this was first announced, and I heard there was no PvE, I pictured a boring barren world with a constant pointless war, with no lore, nothing to tether it to any real fight.

The statement was that there'd be no pve PROGRESSION.   There will be mobs for farming hides, bone, and meat... and generally getting in your way (guards) ... but they don't drop gear or give exp. 

Besides... you can't go steal your enemies' sheep if there are none.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I mean, I'm down with CU's direction regarding PvE.  Also down with games without any PvE whatsoever.  But, uhh, ever played DAoC?  UO? SWG? EVE?  Lol.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I initially thought there would be no pve at all either.

This method of pve that OP described is pretty insteresting.I actually like it a lot!

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

That's been the whole issue for allot of us that the "fans" just don't get, there is no bible ,there is no defined ideas except, "yeah we will have that" "hmm sounds good" "no I don't think so". He is making it as he goes and that is no business plan, that is a "throw these ideas out there and hope they stick" plan.

Not to mention I look into the message forums atm (to actually see if it has changed or worth actually backing) on the kickstarter and to think i would be in a same game with many of those same minded people currently posting about spamming other sites and forums. Yeah, those are the same guys & gals that say "we hate that! spread the word!", the same people developers dread are holding the torch atm and would be your in game friends and enemies?  yikes!

This whole thing smells of disaster if it is funded or not. I think the phrase "you deserve what you get" has a whole new meaning to this kicsktarter. I don't see a good ending here in any scenario. I have said in the past I wish all the fans gl on this endevor, but I think the best luck I can wish them is a fast death of the kickstarter. Might hate me for saying it, but I just don't see any postive coming out of this one. It is my opinon and we are free to say it on this site, but no worries fans, this is my last on the topic, I actually feel bad for you guys atm. Meh maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see it here everything in my body is sending off warning bells.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I think it's a waste of time to put in token PvE content.

I don't pvp but i think the game needs to offer something unique for the players that want to focus on pvp.

That also applies to PvE games as well......ahem TESO

Originally posted by sethman75

I think it's a waste of time to put in token PvE content.

I don't pvp but i think the game needs to offer something unique for the players that want to focus on pvp.

That also applies to PvE games as well......ahem TESO

It's not token PvE. It has a purpose. The PvE is there to feed raw materials for the crafting. It has to come from somewhere.